The Twelve Kingdoms Fan Fiction ❯ A Legend Forgotten ❯ Mount Ho ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Disclaimer: The Twelve Kingdom Characters belong solely to Fuyumi Ono, but Mariette and the other unknown characters I am writing about belong to me. If this disclaimer is wrong, then please do not sue me.)
 
Chapter 17: Mount Ho
 
The flash of light appeared again, but faded faster than usual. Yoko looked up and asked, “Why was that shorter?”
 
 
“Because only two days have passed.”
 
 
Yoko nodded as the scene of the inside of Mariette's house appeared around her. Mariette was eating soup with Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi sitting next to her eating fish. Mariette gave out a sigh as she stared into her bowl of soup.
 
 
“It hasn't been that long since Wuya left for Mount Ho, but I still miss her,” said Mariette. Kishi looked up at her in his cat form and said, in his own language, “She'll return when she meets the Kirin of Kei.” Mariette nodded and sipped from her soup.
 
 
Mariette went to bed after eating with her three companions sleeping at her feet. Mariette looked toward the empty bed of Wuya and remembered Wuya's promise to her. Mariette clenched her bed sheet and whispered, “I want to see you, Wuya.”
 
 
The next day, Mariette got up and immediately headed to the beach with her three companions behind her.
 
 
“Where are you going?”
 
 
Mariette looked back at them with a smile and said, “I definitely can't wait for Wuya to return, so I'm going to Mount Ho to see her.” Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi were surprised.
 
 
“Are you sure about this? The gate should be closed right now.”
 
 
Mariette giggled and said, “When there's a will there's a way.” Mariette ran onto the sand of the beach and looked back at Usagi.
 
 
“I need your wings to bring me to Mount Ho, Usagi,” said Mariette. Usagi nodded and flapped his wings. He flew to Mariette's side. Mariette leapt onto his back and held tight around his neck.
 
 
“Let's go,” she said. Usagi nodded and took off into the sky. Yuki and Kishi, who had transformed into a huge bird, fly after her.
 
 
Yuki flew to Mariette's right side and asked, in his own language, “Do you know where Mount Ho is located?” Mariette nodded and said, “Wuya mentioned that it was in the middle of the Twelve Kingdoms.”
 
 
Kishi flew to her left side and asked, “Do you know where the middle of the Twelve Kingdoms is?” Mariette froze. Mariette looked down sadly and shook her head. Kishi, Yuki, and Usagi smirked and said, in their respected language, “We'll lead you there.” Mariette perked up with a smile on her face and nodded.
 
 
Kishi, Yuki, and Usagi extended their wings and flew in formation toward Mount Ho. In no time at all, Mount Ho was in Mariette's sight. Mariette broke into a smile. She gripped the silver ring necklace around her neck and said, “I'm coming Wuya.”
 
 
When Mariette and her three companions landed, she climbed off of Usagi's back and ran down the path. Kishi transformed into his wolf form and ran after Mariette with Usagi and Yuki behind him.
 
 
Mariette ran at an incredible speed leaving her three companions almost in the dust. Mariette soon caught sight o the gate and slid to a stop. Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi caught up to her and stared up at the large gate.
 
 
“How do we get in?”
 
 
Mariette strolled up to the gate and saw two soldiers at the gate. She walked up to them making them flinch. Mariette smiled at them and asked, “Can you let me through the gate?” The soldiers immediately pointed their weapons at her causing her to gasp in surprise. Her cat ears and tail popped out surprising the soldiers. The soldiers shook their heads and glared at Mariette.
 
 
“No one is allowed to pass until the Kirin has chosen a new ruler for Kei,” said one of the soldiers. Mariette laughed uneasily and pointed toward the gate.
 
 
“I just wanted to see my friend, who is trying to become queen,” said Mariette nervously. The soldiers pushed their weapons closer to her causing Mariette to flinch.
 
 
Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi suddenly emerged from behind her glaring at the soldiers. The soldiers gave out a scream and feinted from the shock.
 
 
Yuki nudged one of the soldiers with his paw and said, “Some soldiers they are.”
 
 
“We just glared at them,” said Usagi in a mocking matter. Kishi nodded in agreement. Mariette gave out a sigh of relief as she tucked in her cat features.
 
 
“Thanks guys. Those men were scary,” said Mariette. Yuki, Usagi and Kishi nodded.
 
 
Mariette stepped over the soldiers and stared up at the gate.
 
 
“I wonder how I can get in?” Mariette asked herself. Mariette looked at the top of the gate and came up with an idea. She looked back at her three companions and asked, “Can one of you take me to the other side of the gate?”
 
 
They nodded and conversed with each other trying to figure out, who should take her. In the end, they decided on Yuki because he hasn't given her rides on his back much. Mariette climbed onto his back. Yuki jumped up the mountainside and then leapt over the gate. When he touched the ground, Mariette climbed off his back and patted his head.
 
 
“Thank you, Yuki, but I'll go on my own from here,” said Mariette.
 
 
“Why?”
 
 
Mariette smiled t Yuki and said, “There are normal people up this path and I don't want to create a panic, so please go back to the others.” Yuki nodded and leapt back over the gate to explain to the others.
 
 
Mariette ran down the open path determined to see Wuya. Mariette reached the end of the path and was amazed at the sight she saw. She saw buildings and many people walking around. There were some people also sitting at their own campsites conversing.
 
 
Mariette was amazed at the many people trying to become the new ruler, but she was more eager to see Wuya. She traveled through the crowd of people calling out Wuya's name.
 
 
Mariette didn't spot her anywhere and plopped down next to a stable.
 
 
“Where are you Wuya?”
 
 
Mariette stared up at the sky wondering where her friend was.
 
 
“Are you all right Miss?”
 
 
Mariette looked to the side and saw a twenty-six-year old; long, blonde haired man in purple overalls looking at her. Mariette looked at him with her lip quivering making him concern.
 
 
“Miss?”
 
 
“I can't find Wuya,” said Mariette as she began to cry. The blonde haired man looked at her in concern and asked, “Is that an acquaintance of yours?”
 
 
Mariette looked at him with tears glittering from her eyes and said, “She's my friend.” The blonde haired man blushed at Mariette's teary face. He shook his head and asked, “What does she look like?”
 
 
Mariette wiped her tears away and said, “Wuya has short black hair, green eyes, and wears a long green dress. She might have a sword on her side with a mark of a dragon on it.” The man thought a while and snapped his fingers.
 
 
“I've seen her,” he exclaimed. Mariette broke into a smile and asked, “Where?”
 
 
“I believe she was one of the women leaving the building of the Kirin. It should be two buildings from here on top of a high slope of the mountain.”
 
 
Mariette nodded and thanked the man with a smile. The man smiled back at her and then said, “When you smile, you look very charming.” Mariette thanked him for the compliment.
 
 
The man stared at Mariette and asked, “Do you remember me?” Mariette blinked in confusion.
 
 
“Should I?” asked Mariette. The man chuckled and said, “It was a long time ago and I have changed, but I recognized you after seeing your teary face and smile.” He smiled brightly at her and added, “You really have become more beautiful.”
 
 
Mariette suddenly remembered her goal and stood up. She bowed to the man and said, “I have to go, but thank you for helping me and giving me many compliments. If I have met you, I will surely remember.” Mariette then sped off through the crowd.
 
 
The man chuckled and whispered, “She's still so innocent.”
 
 
Mariette ran through the crowd and soon saw a high slope with a building on top. She was about to run toward it, but stopped in her tracks when she spotted Wuya walking up another slope with people avoiding her. Mariette smiled brightly and ran toward Wuya.
 
 
“Wuya!”
 
 
Wuya stopped in her tracks and looked behind her only to see Mariette running toward her.
 
 
“Mariette?” exclaimed Wuya in surprise. Mariette embraced Wuya when she reached her and exclaimed, “I missed you so much!” Wuya pried Mariette off of her and asked, in disbelief, “How did you get here and why are you here?”
 
 
Mariette smiled and said, “Kishi, Usagi, and Yuki brought me here and as for your second question, I wanted to see you. I definitely can't stand being apart from you.” Wuya stared at Mariette for a long while and then embraced her.
 
 
“You are just too cute Mariette,” said Wuya happily. Mariette giggled and hugged Wuya back.
 
 
Mariette then asked, “So how did it go with the Kirin?” Wuya loosened her embrace on Mariette and pulled away from her. Wuya looked at Mariette sadly and said, “I was rejected. I couldn't make Toshi's dream come true.” Mariette looked at Wuya sadly.
 
 
“I'm sorry,” said Mariette. Wuya shook her head and said, “Nothing to be sorry about. I was just not good enough.” Wuya placed a hand on Mariette's shoulder and said, “Even though I am not queen, I will still protect you with my life.” Mariette nodded with a warm smile.
 
 
Everything around Mariette and Wuya fell silent making them confused. Wuya looked behind Mariette and gasped in surprise making Mariette confused.
 
 
“Wuya?”
 
 
Wuya pointed behind Mariette. Mariette turned around and saw a man with long white hair in an elegant robe walking through the crowd. He had pale skin and an impassive look. Mariette blinked in confusion.
 
 
“Who is that? A Royalty?” asked Mariette. Wuya was about to answer, but fell silent when the man looked their way. His eyes widen as he stared in their direction. He ran toward them making Wuya nervous, while Mariette was still confused.
 
 
The man stopped in front of them. He stared at Mariette intently and said, “It's you.” Mariette blinked in confusion.
 
 
“What?”
 
 
The man bowed all the way down on one knee and bowed his head to Mariette making Mariette even more confused.
 
 
“I offer my soul to protect you. Do you accept?”
 
 
Mariette stared down at the man, while the people were silent. Mariette then pointed at the man and asked, “Who's this weirdo?” All the people were shocked by Mariette's statement including Wuya.
 
 
Wuya gripped Mariette's shoulders forcing Mariette to face her.
 
 
“This man is the Kirin of Kei, Keiki, not a weirdo,” said Wuya.
 
 
“The Kirin, then why is he bowing to me?” asked Mariette still confused.
 
 
“Don't you understand? He's bowing to you because he has chosen you as the new ruler of Kei,” said Wuya. Mariette was silent and then gasped in surprise causing her cat features to pop out.
 
 
All the people around them gasped in surprise when they saw Mariette's cat features. Wuya gasped too.
 
 
“Your cat features,” said Wuya in a panic. Mariette nodded and tucked them back in.
 
 
“A half-beast?”
 
 
Mariette looked at the surrounding people and saw their disapproving looks.
 
 
“Why is a half-beast here?”
 
 
“How did a filthy thing like that get in here?”
 
 
Mariette heard their prejudice comments and looked down sadly. Wuya stood in front of Mariette and said, “You shouldn't talk about Mariette like that, so keep your mouths shut.” Mariette smiled at Wuya.
 
 
Mariette then looked down at Keiki and asked, “Are you really choosing me as the new ruler of Kei?” Keiki nodded and looked up at her.
 
 
“Do you accept?”
 
 
Mariette looked at Wuya and said, “This is what you wanted Wuya.” Wuya smiled at Mariette and said, “I wanted to make Toshi's dreams come true, but if you do it, I will still be happy and I can still stick with you.” Mariette smiled brightly at Wuya and then looked down at Keiki.
 
 
“I accept,” said Mariette happily. Keiki nodded and bowed his head down. The people around Mariette including Wuya bowed down before her until their foreheads touched the ground. Mariette looked around her nervously and then back down at Keiki.
 
 
“Your name,” whispered Keiki.
 
 
“Mariette.”
 
 
“Mariette, the Queen of Kei.”
 
 
Mariette smiled down at Keiki as he bowed before her.
 
 
Yoko stared at the scene filled with awe.
 
 
“So Mariette became the queen of Kei like this?”
 
 
“That's right, your majesty.”
 
 
Yoko stared at Mariette and asked, “Besides breaking through the gates, she became queen without any problems, so why was she erased?”
 
 
“Just watch.”
 
 
Yoko groaned and suddenly noticed the disapproving looks of some of the people bowing before Mariette.
 
 
Was Mariette in danger?