The Twelve Kingdoms Fan Fiction ❯ A Legend Forgotten ❯ The New Queen of Kei ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Disclaimer: The Twelve Kingdom Characters belong solely to Fuyumi Ono, but Mariette and the other unknown characters I am writing about belong to me. If this disclaimer is wrong, then please do not sue me.)
 
Chapter 18: The New Queen of Kei
 
“NO!”
 
 
In a building, Mariette was being fitted in royal clothes for her crowing ceremony. Women in elegant kimonos pulled off Mariette's old dress causing her to struggle. Her surprise from the women's actions caused her cat features to pop out.
 
 
“Wuya!” cried out Mariette as she was stripped down. Wuya burst into the room and screamed, “Mariette?” Mariette ran to Wuya half naked and hugged her tightly.
 
 
“I'm scared,” cried Mariette as she embraced her friend. Wuya glared at the women demanding what they were doing to Mariette. One of the women held up a black robe and said, “We were just getting her ready for the ascension to the throne.”
 
 
Wuya stared at the garment and then looked down at Mariette, who was still shaking.
 
 
“No offense, but I think you scared her, so I should help dress Mariette up for the occasion,” said Wuya as she tucked Mariette's cat features in. The women nodded for they were eager to get Mariette ready.
 
 
Wuya pried Mariette off her torso and removed the remains of Mariette's clothing. She helped the women dress Mariette up in the traditional clothing of a new ruler and then examined Mariette closely.
 
 
Mariette now wore a long black robe with a black crown. She wore wooden shoes on her feet and her hair was tied in a ponytail. Wuya smiled and said, “You look good Mariette.”
 
 
Mariette stared at her long sleeves and then felt the ponytail. She removed the tie from her ponytail allowing her hair to flow down freely surprising Wuya and the other women. Mariette ran her fingers through her hair like a brush and then tossed her hair back creating a bounce.
 
 
Mariette looked at Wuya and the women with her angelic smile and said, “Much better.” The women blushed, while Wuya ran to Mariette. Wuya embraced Mariette and said, “You're just too cute.” Mariette giggled.
 
 
The door suddenly opened making Wuya and Mariette look up. Before the doorway, stood Keiki with an impassive look. Keiki approached Mariette and asked, “Are you ready your majesty?”
 
 
Mariette nodded and said, with a smile, “You can call me Mariette, Keiki.” Keiki turned away from Mariette making Mariette confused. He walked through the door and then looked back at her.
 
 
“We should get going, your majesty,” said Keiki simply. Mariette nodded and watched him walk out the door.
 
 
Mariette looked at Wuya and asked, “Is the Kirin always like this?” Wuya gave a shrug.
 
 
“I only just met him today,” said Wuya plainly. Mariette gave out a sigh and ran toward the door only to fall over. Wuya shook her head and helped Mariette to her feet.
 
 
“Don't run or you'll trip again,” warned Wuya. Mariette nodded and walked out the door with Wuya behind her.
 
 
When they were out the door, Wuya asked, “So where is Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi?” Mariette stopped in her tracks and gasped causing her cat features to pop out. Mariette looked back at Wuya, while tucking in her cat features, and said, “I left them in front of the gate.”
 
 
Wuya could see the look in Mariette's eyes and knew exactly what she wanted.
 
 
“I'll go to the gate and wait with them,” said Wuya with a sigh. Mariette thanked Wuya and watched Wuya stroll off.
 
 
When Wuya was out of sight, Mariette was ready to run off, but paused. She remembered Wuya's words and sighed. Mariette stood up straight and walked down the path. She soon caught sight of Keiki and waved to him.
 
 
“Keiki!”
 
 
Keiki didn't wave back at her. All he did was stare at her with an impassive look. Mariette, forgetting what Wuya said, ran toward Keiki. Mariette tripped over her wooden shoes and was about to crash into the ground. Keiki immediately rushed to her and caught her in his arms. Mariette looked up at Keiki and thanked him with a bright smile.
 
 
Keiki helped her to her feet and said, “Be more graceful, your majesty.” Mariette blinked in confusion. Keiki led her to a flight of stairs with Nyosens at either side. Mariette looked at them confusingly.
 
 
Keiki looked down at Mariette and said, “We need to ascend these stairs to reach the top to meet the Gods, so you can be crowned.” Mariette nodded and began to climb the stairs with Keiki next to her.
 
 
When they were at the top, the doors of the building at the top opened welcoming them in. Mariette and Keiki entered the doors. Through the doors was nothing but white. Mariette heard a voice telling her of her duties as the new ruler within the room and the next thing she knew, she was beyond the mountain with Keiki next to her.
 
 
Mariette looked around confusingly and then looked at Keiki.
 
 
“Was that it?” asked Mariette. Keiki nodded and said, “You are officially the queen of Kei.” Mariette gave a nod and looked toward the mountain.
 
 
I made one of Toshi's dreams come true through me.
 
 
Mariette gave out a sigh and looked toward Keiki.
 
 
“Does that mean I can get my friends now?” asked Mariette. Keiki looked at her quizzically.
 
 
“Your friends?”
 
 
Mariette nodded and pointed toward the mountain.
 
 
“Wuya, Yuki, Kishi, and Usagi are waiting for me at the gate,” said Mariette. Keiki gave out a sigh and said, “I'll take you there, your majesty.” With that said, Keiki transformed into his Kirin form. Mariette was amazed at the sight.
 
 
“Pretty just like En-Chan,” said Mariette in awe.
 
 
“En-Chan?”
 
 
Mariette shook her head and said, “An old friend that I haven't seen for a long while.” Keiki gave a nod and then bowed his head to her.
 
 
“Please climb on, your majesty, and don't forget my clothes,” said Keiki. Mariette nodded as she picked up his discarded clothes and then jumped onto his back. When she was on, Keiki took off into the sky back toward the gates of the mountain.
 
 
As they flew, Mariette hugged Keiki around his neck and asked, “Can you just call me Mariette?” Keiki remained silent making his answer clear. Mariette gave out a sigh.
 
 
They soon reached the gate, where Wuya was waiting with Yuki, Kishi, and Usagi. Keiki flinched when he saw Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi.
 
 
“It seems like two Youmas and a Sugu have taken one of your friends,” said Keiki. Mariette gave out a giggle and said, “Those Youmas and the Sugu are my friends.” Keiki looked at Mariette filled with bewilderment.
 
 
Keiki landed in front Wuya, Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi. Mariette jumped off Keiki's back and immediately embraced Wuya. Wuya hugged her back.
 
 
“Congratulations on becoming queen,” said Wuya. Mariette nodded and looked toward her other three companions.
 
 
“I became queen,” announced Mariette. Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi bowed their heads to her.
 
 
“We always knew that you would become someone great,” said Kishi. Mariette thanked him.
 
 
Keiki stared at her in his Kirin form and said, “We should get going.” Mariette nodded and pulled Wuya toward Keiki.
 
 
“Let's go Wuya,” said Mariette cheerfully. Wuya shook her head and said, “I can't ride on the Kirin. Only the new ruler can.” Mariette gave out a disappointed sigh. Mariette remembered Kishi, Usagi, and Yuki and looked toward them with a smile.
 
 
“Can one of you carry Wuya?” All three of them nodded, but were still unsure as they looked toward Wuya. Wuya gave a low groan and said, “I know you guys still don't like me like Mariette, but please make an exception.” They nodded.
 
 
Usagi and Kishi pushed Yuki to carry Wuya because he was the youngest between the three of them. Yuki gave a low groan and bent down, so Wuya can get on him. Mariette nodded in approval and looked toward Keiki.
 
 
“Wuya, Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi are coming to the palace with me,” said Mariette with a smile. Keiki nodded. Mariette jumped onto his back allowing him to take off into the sky. Yuki, Usagi, Kishi, and Wuya flew behind them.
 
 
In the air, Mariette looked toward Wuya and said, “You said that we will stick together to make up for Toshi not marrying me right?” Wuya nodded.
 
 
Mariette smiled brightly at Wuya and said, “Then become the captain of the guards in my palace.” Wuya looked at Mariette wide-eyed.
 
 
“Captain of the guards?”
 
 
Mariette nodded and said, “You are good at fighting since seven years ago and know when to scold, so you are perfect for the job.”
 
 
“Shouldn't you choose someone more experienced?” asked Wuya. Mariette shook her head and added, “I only want you for the job.”
 
 
Wuya smiled at Mariette and said, “I gladly accept. Let's live to a hundred together.” Mariette nodded in agreement.
 
 
Mariette looked down at Keiki and asked, “Wuya is staying at the palace, and so can Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi stay too?”
 
 
“As long as it is what you wish,” said Keiki. Mariette nodded and said, “I want all my friends with me.”
 
 
“As you wish, your majesty,” said Keiki.
 
 
“Call me Mariette.”
 
 
Keiki once again remained silent. Mariette gave a small pout.
 
 
Wuya looked at Keiki and Mariette where she had seen this scene before.
 
 
They soon reached the palace, which was almost covered with clouds. Mariette was amazed at the sight and pointed it out to Wuya.
 
 
“Doesn't it look beautiful, Wuya?”
 
 
Wuya nodded. They flew into the palace and landed gracefully. Mariette got off Keiki's back. Wuya was about to get off Yuki's back, but Yuki immediately tossed her off making her fall on her bottom. Wuya glared at Yuki, while Yuki pretended that nothing was wrong.
 
 
Wuya got up rubbing her bottom and looked toward Mariette.
 
 
“Where to?” asked Wuya. Mariette looked toward Keiki and asked the same question.
 
 
“I will lead you to your room, your majesty, and then I will take your friend to sign the contract to become the official captain along with gaining her immortality. Your other three companions can go where they wish.”
 
 
Mariette nodded and looked at Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi.
 
 
“You three find the stables and make yourselves comfortable,” said Mariette. They nodded and flew off. Mariette looked back at Keiki with a smile.
 
 
“Lead the way.”
 
 
Keiki nodded and then said, “Let me change back to my human form.” Mariette nodded. Keiki bowed down to Mariette and said, “Please turn away your majesty.” Mariette cocked her head to the side.
 
 
“Why?”
 
 
Wuya spotted Keiki's clothes on his back and understood immediately. She turned Mariette away from Keiki's direction making Mariette confused.
 
 
“Don't look.”
 
 
Mariette looked at her friend confusingly. There was a small gust of wind. When the wind faded, Mariette turned around and saw Keiki in his human form buttoning up his shirt. Mariette blinked in confusion.
 
 
“Were you naked by chance?” asked Mariette. Wuya blushed, while Keiki remained silent.
 
 
When Keiki was finished dressing up, he led Mariette and Wuya down the hall. They soon reached a door with painted patterns on it.
 
 
“This is your room, your majesty,” said Keiki. Mariette nodded and opened the door to her room. Mariette smiled at the sight of her new room. She looked back at Keiki with a smile and thanked him. Keiki turned away from her and said, “Get some sleep. You will meet the other rulers tomorrow for introduction, you majesty.”
 
 
“Mariette,” urged Mariette. Keiki remained silent and closed the door with Wuya still next to him.
 
 
Mariette gave out a sigh and whispered a goodnight to Wuya, Yuki, Kishi, and Usagi even though they couldn't hear it. Mariette removed the robes and crown she was in and tossed off her wooden shoes. She slipped on a pink nightgown she found in the room and laid on her new king sized bed. She stared up at the ceiling and remembered Keiki's impassive look.
 
 
“What is Keiki thinking?” she asked herself. Mariette gave out a sigh and rolled over in her bed. She looked at the silver ring necklace that was still around her neck and gripped it in her hand.
 
 
“Watch over Wuya and I, Toshi,” whispered Mariette as she drifted off to sleep.
 
 
Yoko stared at the scene as Mariette slept.
 
 
“Mariette truly loves her friends,” said Yoko with a smile. She remembered Keiki's attitude toward Mariette and gave out a sigh.
 
 
“Keiki really hasn't changed since then, but he seems a little colder toward Mariette. Can't he see that Mariette just wants to be his friend?”
 
 
Yoko approached Mariette's sleeping form and stared down at her.
 
 
“Keiki didn't mention you either. I wonder why he forgot you.”