The Twelve Kingdoms Fan Fiction ❯ A Legend Forgotten ❯ Meeting Familiar Faces ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Disclaimer: The Twelve Kingdom Characters belong solely to Fuyumi Ono, but Mariette and the other unknown characters I am writing about belong to me. If this disclaimer is wrong, then please do not sue me.)
 
Chapter 19: Meeting Familiar Faces
 
“Your Majesty.”
 
 
Mariette slowly awoke from her slumber. When she opened her eyes she saw Keiki staring down at her dangerously close. Mariette blushed brightly.
 
 
Mariette gave out a quick scream and slapped Keiki forcing him back. Mariette stared at Keiki wide-eyed with her hand still in slapping position.
 
 
“Why…?”
 
 
Keiki glanced at Mariette holding his cheek and said, “I just came to wake you up, your majesty.” Mariette gave out a sigh of relief and thanked him making sure to also apologize for her action.
 
 
Wuya, who was wearing a light red armor, suddenly burst into the room and screamed, “Are you all right, Mariette?” Mariette looked toward Wuya and nodded.
 
 
“I'm fine, Wuya. I was just startled by Keiki,” said Mariette. Wuya looked toward Keiki and saw the red handprint forming on his cheek. Wuya covered her mouth to prevent herself from laughing.
 
 
Keiki maintained his composure and looked toward Mariette.
 
 
“Please get dressed for your introduction, your majesty,” said Keiki. Mariette nodded and watched Keiki leave her room.
 
 
When he was gone, Mariette gave out a sigh and said, “I wish Keiki would say my name.” Wuya crossed her arms at Mariette and said, “Cheer up, Mariette. You're going to be with him most of the time.” Mariette nodded.
 
 
Yoko, who was still watching the scene, tried to stifle her laugh.
 
 
Mariette actually slapped Keiki.
 
 
Mariette changed into a royal red robe and black slippers because she refused to wear any type of heels. Wuya placed a black crown with golden engravings upon Mariette's head and smiled.
 
 
“You look really nice Mariette.”
 
 
“Thank you, Wuya.”
 
 
Mariette held Wuya's hand with a smile upon her lips.
 
 
When Mariette was dressed, she strolled down the hallway with Wuya in hand.
 
 
“Where is the throne room?” asked Mariette. Wuya pointed up ahead.
 
 
“It's this way,” said Wuya. Mariette nodded as she allowed Wuya to lead the way.
 
 
They opened the doors leading to the throne room and saw Keiki standing next to the throne with Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi on the other side of the throne. Mariette smiled brightly and ran toward the throne happily releasing Wuya's hand. Instead of going on the throne, she immediately embraced Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi.
 
 
“Good morning guys,” Mariette said happily. They wished her a good morning, while Wuya made her way to the throne.
 
 
Mariette looked toward Keiki, who was staring down at her, and asked, “Did you bring them in here?” Keiki nodded and said, “They mentioned about wanting to be with you and that it would make you happy.” Mariette gave out a giggle and nodded.
 
 
Keiki gave out a sigh and added, “They also mentioned that I was their comrade now.” Mariette giggled again and said, “I guess they like you.” Keiki turned away from Mariette making Mariette confused.
 
 
Wuya looked toward Keiki and asked, “So you understand them like Mariette?” Keiki nodded. Wuya looked toward Mariette and then back at Keiki.
 
 
“Now I feel left out,” said Wuya with a sigh. Mariette smiled at Wuya.
 
 
Keiki looked back at Mariette and said, “You should sit on your throne now.” Mariette gave a nod. She sat on the throne and sat up straight with Wuya, Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi next to her throne.
 
 
Keiki waved his hand making Mariette confused.
 
 
“What did you do, Keiki?” asked Mariette curiously. He glanced at her and said, “I just told one of my Youmas to let the rulers, their Kirins, and the magicians in.” Mariette gave a nod and fixed her posture.
 
 
I hope I make a good impression.
 
 
The doors opened revealing all the rulers from the other kingdoms, their Kirins, and the greatest magicians known to man. Mariette was amazed at the sight.
 
 
They all entered the room and looked up at Mariette. They bowed to her, except for the Kirins.
 
 
“Congratulations on gaining the throne.”
 
 
Mariette nodded at them as they began to stand up. Mariette suddenly noticed Enki among the Kirins and gasped in surprise causing her cat features to pop out. The rulers, the Kirins, and the magicians were shocked when they saw Mariette's new features. Mariette shot up from her throne forgetting her composure and waved toward Enki.
 
 
“En-Chan, is that really you?” called out Mariette. Enki stared at Mariette in disbelief.
 
 
“En-Chan?” Enki said in disbelief. Enki remembered his visit to Kei eight years ago and pointed at Mariette in disbelief.
 
 
“Mariette?” screamed out Enki. Mariette nodded with her tail swaying back and fourth happily.
 
 
“Nice to see you again, En-Chan,” said Mariette cheerfully. Wuya stared at Enki in disbelief.
 
 
“I expected to see Enki, but it is still a surprise,” said Wuya as she stared toward Enki.
 
 
Shouryou, who was among the rulers, stared up at Mariette wide-eyed.
 
 
“Are you really my little kitten?” asked Shouryou in disbelief. Mariette looked toward Shouryou and smiled brightly at him.
 
 
“Nice to see you again too, your majesty,” said Mariette taking notice of him. Shouryou blushed and then smirked.
 
 
“So you are the new queen of Kei,” said Shouryou as he looked at Mariette. Mariette nodded. The rulers looked at Shouryou in surprise.
 
 
“You know her?” asked one of the rulers. Shouryou nodded.
 
 
“I met her eight years ago when I went to Kei,” said Shouryou. He remembered Mariette when she was singing and added, “She had the most angelic voice in the kingdom.” Mariette blushed at Shouryou's comment.
 
 
Wuya growled when she noticed Mariette's reaction and glared toward Shouryou.
 
 
“Don't get any ideas pedophilic king!” screamed Wuya. Everyone looked at Wuya in surprise. Shouryou and Enki looked up at Wuya in surprise.
 
 
“Pedophilic king?” repeated Enki. Enki suddenly remembered Wuya and Toshi's glares and gasped in surprise.
 
 
“You're one of the twins,” said Enki in realization. Wuya nodded and crossed her arms.
 
 
“I was one of the twins and now I am the queen of Kei's captain of the guards,” said Wuya proudly. Shouryou chuckled and said, “Figures that you wouldn't leave my little kitten's side.”
 
 
Wuya glared at Shouryou and screamed, “Don't call her kitten!” Enki glared up at Wuya and screamed, “And don't yell at the king of En stupid girl!” Wuya glared at Enki and pointed an accusing finger at him.
 
 
“You be quiet perverted Kirin. I still haven't forgiven you for what you did eight years ago!”
 
 
All eyes were now on Enki. Enki cringed at their stares.
 
 
“What did you do, Enki?” asked Kyouki, the Kirin of Kyou.
 
 
Enki waved his hands frantically and screamed, “It was a misunderstanding!” Mariette cocked her head to the side.
 
 
“Are you talking about the time I crawled into your bed when I was sick?” asked Mariette. Enki instantly became red from embarrassment. Mariette giggled and said, “Don't worry about it. I did share a bed with his majesty too and there was no problem.”
 
 
All eyes were now on Shouryou. Shouryou chuckled and said, “She was the one who made the offer. Nothing extreme happened.” Mariette suddenly remembered something and said, with a bright smile, “Looks like we didn't meet again in a bed, your majesty.”
 
 
The room fell silent. Shouryou laughed uneasily thinking that Mariette still had such an innocent mind. Wuya, Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi were shaking in anger trying to prevent themselves from killing Shouryou.
 
 
Enki broke the silence by dashing toward Shouryou and kicking him to the ground. Enki glared down at Shouryou and said, “I can't believe I forgot you said that.” Shouryou sat up holding his stomach and chuckled.
 
 
“It was just a joke,” said Shouryou. All of the people in the room stared down at Shouryou, except for Mariette, wondering how he became such a great ruler.
 
 
One of the magicians, who was ignoring the others, stared up at Mariette the whole time. He stared at Mariette's cat features, which she forgot to tuck in, and snapped his fingers in realization.
 
 
“Now I remember,” said the magician making the others look at him next. He pointed up at Mariette and said, “She was the half-beast girl, who saved my Youma.”
 
 
Mariette looked toward him and gasped in surprise.
 
 
“You're Kouya, the one I met seven years ago,” said Mariette. Mariette smiled brightly at him and said, “Nice to see you again.” He blushed at her smile and looked down.
 
 
The ones who didn't know Mariette were completely confused.
 
 
Keiki cleared his throat making Mariette look at him.
 
 
“The introductions, your majesty,” reminded Keiki. Mariette gave a nod as she tucked in her cat features and looked at the rulers, their Kirins, and the great magicians proudly.
 
 
“My name is Mariette, the Queen of Kei, and I thank you all for coming,” said Mariette politely. She held her hand to Wuya and said, “This is my captain of the guards, Wuya.” Wuya bowed to them politely.
 
 
Mariette looked toward Usagi, Yuki, and Kishi .
 
 
“These three are my friends: Usagi the Tenken; Yuki the Sugu; and Kishi the Toutetsu. They will help around the palace.”
 
 
Usagi, Yuki, and Kishi bowed before them.
 
 
Enki gasped in surprise and asked, “So those Youmas and the Sugu didn't belong to Keiki.” Mariette shook her head and said, “They belong to me.”
 
 
Enki and Shouryou stared up at Mariette wondering what else had changed about her. The rulers, the Kirin, and the magicians introduced themselves one by one, until they finally reached the ruler of Kou.
 
 
The ruler of Kou wore a blue robe and wore a crown similar to Mariette's. He seemed to be around the age of twenty. He had loose long black hair; pale skin; a moon scar on his right cheek; and piercing red eyes that could make a Youma draw back.
 
 
The king of Kou bowed to Mariette and said, “My name is Yue, the King of Kou, your majesty.” He held a hand toward his Kirin and said, “This is my Kirin, Kourin.” Kourin bowed to Mariette. Mariette nodded at them.
 
 
“Nice to meet you all,” said Mariette with her best smile. Yue seemed to glare up at Mariette. Yue looked up at Mariette and asked, “Are you really a half-beast?” Mariette nodded.
 
 
“That means that you are the first half-beast to get on the throne,” said Yue. Mariette blinked in confusion and looked toward Wuya.
 
 
“What does he mean, Wuya?” asked Mariette. Wuya chuckled and said, “Ever since the Kingdoms were made by the Gods, there was never a known half-beast ruler.”
 
 
Mariette nodded in understanding.
 
 
“Shouldn't you know that, your majesty?” asked Yue in an almost sarcastic tone. Mariette laughed uneasily and said, “I'm still learning these things. I did arrive in this kingdom from Hourai eight years ago.”
 
 
All the people in the room, except for Wuya, Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi, stared up at Mariette in surprise.
 
 
“You're a Kaikyaku?” asked Yue in disbelief. Mariette nodded and said, “The most appropriate term would be Taika because I'm half-beast.” Yue clenched his fist and glared toward Keiki.
 
 
“What is the meaning of this? Why did you choose a filthy half-beast? A Kaikyaku no less?” demanded Yue. Mariette was so shocked that her cat features popped out.
Wuya glared at Yue and yelled, “Don't call her filthy!” Yue glared toward Wuya and then glared back at Keiki.
 
 
“Answer me, Kirin!” demanded Yue. Kourin tried to calm him down, but he just shoved her away. Keiki crossed his arms and said, “Because the Ouki surrounded her body. There is no other reason.” Yue gave a growl and stormed toward the door with Kourin behind him.
 
 
Yue glared back toward Mariette and yelled, “I will never accept this!” With that said, he slammed the door behind him with Kourin by his side.
 
 
Mariette looked down sadly and said, “I guess he didn't like me.” Shouryou looked toward Mariette and said, “Don't worry about it. He's just one ruler.” Mariette nodded sadly as her cat ears dropped.
 
 
Mariette had a talk with the rulers and was brought to light of the situation of the kingdom. The production of food was short; sickness was spreading; Youma invaded the kingdom almost every month; water was scarce; the number of homeless were increasing; and there were no servants and soldiers in the palace.
 
 
Mariette made a promise to fix these problems for the good of the Kingdom. All the rulers, Kirins, and Magicians nodded at Mariette's determination.
 
 
Yoko stared at the scene wondering if Mariette would really fix all those problems. She suddenly remembered the king of Kou and groaned.
 
 
“Is it a tradition for the rulers of Kou to hate the Kaikyaku and half-beasts?” Yoko asked herself as she remembered the King of Kou fifty years ago. Yoko remembered how Yue glared at Mariette and wondered if he would cause any problems.