Tokimeki Memorial Fan Fiction ❯ Toki Days ❯ Yumi's Worst Nightmare ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Toki Days
 
A Tokimeki Memorial - Happy Days Crossover / Slightly AU, Romance, Comedy, Drama, Parody
 
by Sailor Enlil
 
 
Tokimeki Memorial: Forever With You story with a flavor of Happy Days
 
 
Synopsis: Shiori Fujisaki starts her 2nd year in Kirameki Highschool with vague memories of her childhood. On the first day of school when she arrives at the gate, Rei Ijuuin, the Principal's grandson, makes his usual grand entrance via a limousine and cheering girls, a routine he's gone through since junior high. However, a new male transfer student in a black leather jacket arrives as a passenger on a motorcycle, and when he removes his helmet, he's dashingly handsome with a greased hairdo and carries himself like a debonair gentleman, effectively drawing the girls away from Rei. Meanwhile, as Shiori looks at him, she gets a nagging feeling in her heart that there's something strangely familiar about him.
 
 
Tokimeki Memorial is property of Konami; Happy Days is the creation of Garry Marshall and property of the American Broadcasting Company
 
 
Chapter prologue
 
(Morning, Friday, April 11, 1997, Classroom of 2-A)
 
"Woa! Good friends now eh?" said Yoshio.
 
"Yeah." replied Fonzu. Shiori giggled.
 
"Well that's great. You had us worried there Shiori-chan" said Yuko.
 
"Yeah!" Potsu agreed.
 
"Ah, yeah I guess so. Sorry to have worried you guys" said Shiori.
 
"Well then lets-" began Yoshio, but was cut off when Yumi stormed in.
 
"Onii-chan! Fonzu-sempai!" shouted Yumi, catching the attention of everyone who was still in the classroom.
 
"What is it now Yumi-chan?" asked an annoyed Yoshio.
 
"Hey there Ichigo-chan, what's the matter?" asked Fonzu.
 
"There's a guy chasing me!" said Yumi. Everyone was surprised by this revelation.
 
"What?" asked Yoshio, now feeling a bit angry, being protective of his little sister. "Who's the jerk!?"
 
"Yumiko! There you are!" said a young male voice with a Kanzai accent.
 
"HIM!!!" said Yumi disgustedly, pointing at a young male student who just entered the classroom.
 
"Who the heck do you think you are!?" Yoshio asked the newcomer menacingly.
 
"Oh oh! Please! I mean no harm! I just - " the young man paused. "Fonzu-niisan!?!?" he said in surprise.
 
"Kaji-kun!?" replied Fonzu in an almost equally surprised expression.
 
"NIISAN!?" the rest of the gang said in surprise.
 
 
Opening Theme
 
Nichi, Tsuki, Toki Days
Ka, Sui, Toki Days
Moku, Kana, Toki Days
Tsuchi, what a day
Groovin' all week with you
 
These days are all,
Tokimeki (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Share them with me (Itoshii)
 
Sayonara grey sky, hello aoi.
When I hold you it's so sugoi.
Feels so right, it can't be wrong.
Rockin' and rollin' all week long.
 
These days are all,
Share them with me (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Tokimeki (Itoshii)
These Toki Days are yours and mine (These Toki Days are yours and mine), Toki Days
 
Opening Theme Ends
 
 
Chapter 7: Yumi's Worst Nightmare
 
"Hehehe! Long time no see Fonzu-niisan!" said the young man Fonzu addressed as Kaji.
 
"Hahaha! Kaji-kun! How ya doin?" said Fonzu, getting up and grabbing Kaji in a hug.
 
"You know each other?" asked Yumi.
 
"Everybody, this is my cousin, Kaoru Arima, but we call him Kaji." said Fonzu. “His family visited mine one summer while I was in junior high. We've been keeping in touch by mail since he returned home.”
 
"Konnichiwa, Kaji-kun!" said Shiori.
 
"Hello Kaji-kun!" said Yuko.
 
"Yo!" said Potsu.
 
"Kaji-kun, these are my friends, Shiori Fujisaki, Wataru Wakaba who we call Potsu, Yuko Asahina, Yoshio Saotome, and his little sister, Yumi."
 
"Pleased to meet you all!" said Kaji.
 
"Well I'm not pleased. Hmmph!" said Yumi. Yoshio eyed Kaji suspiciously.
 
"Woa! What's going on here? Care to fill me in?" asked Fonzu curiously.
 
"This jerk is in my class, and has been driving me up the wall for the past week!" said Yumi.
 
"Is that so?" said Yoshio in a low voice.
 
"Uh, actually, I just want to get to know her! That's it! Right Yumiko?" said Kaji.
 
"Just what's with that 'Yumiko' gag you keep calling me!?" asked an irritated Yumi.
 
"Yumiko?" said Shiori curiously.
 
"Yumiko, eh?" said Yuko with a crafty look on her face.
 
"Yumiko? That's new" commented Potsu. Yoshio was getting tensed up.
 
"Um, Kaji-kun, can I have a word with you for a minute?" said Fonzu.
 
"Um yeah sure" replied Kaji.
 
"Excuse us!" said Fonzu to the gang, while he pulled Kaji to a corner of the classroom. "Just what is it with you?"
 
"Oh, well, when I first saw Yumiko-" Kaji began, but Fonzu cut him off.
 
"First of all buster, cut that 'Yumiko' crap out." said Fonzu. "It's obvious you're not that close friends with her, so address her properly, as Saotome-san."
 
"Well, it's just like how you called her Ichigo-chan or whatever..."
 
"That's because I got her permission. Did you?"
 
"Well, no-"
 
"There you go."
 
"Uh..."
 
"Have you forgotten everything I taught you in our email exchange?"
 
"Well, I was trying everything you stated..."
 
"You, were too fast, and too forward, boy."
 
"Uh..."
 
"Now, you have to let up. Right now, Ichigo-chan, well, Saotome-san to you, is just your classmate. Nothing more."
 
"Uh, okay."
 
"Here's what I want you to do. I want you to march up to her, and apologize." Fonzu ordered.
 
"Um, should I?"
 
"Yes." said Fonzu firmly.
 
"Hai." said Kaji half-heartedly.
 
"And do it like you mean it. Now, go."
 
"Okay." said Kaji, before turning around to head back to the group, followed by Fonzu.
 
"Um, Y-, Saotome-san, gomenasai!" said Kaji uneasily with a slight bow.
 
"Hmm, okay, I forgive you," Yumi began, before her eyebrows furrowed. "For now." she sternly added.
 
"Same here. You just watch yourself boy!" said Yoshio. "Nobody messes with my imoto-chan and gets away with it!"
 
"Hai!" said Kaji nervously.
 
"Hey, lighten up guys!" said Fonzu. "Really, Kaji's not a bad guy! He's just inexperienced at these things."
 
"You got that right Fonzu-sempai!" said Yumi.
 
"Kaji-kun, you have to be nice to Yumi-chan." admonished Shiori.
 
"That's right. It's no fun for her to be pestered around" said Yuko.
 
"Yeah! I mean, you haven't even reached first base yet!" said Potsu.
 
"Potsu!" said an exasperated Yoshio.
 
"Anyway I have to go." said Yumi.
 
"I'll walk you back to class-" began Kaji, but Fonzu grabbed his wrist and held it firmly.
 
"Hold it!" Fonzu said. "Just because you apologized and she accepted, doesn't mean you can get fresh with her already."
 
"D-demo..." Kaji started.
 
"No buts!!!" said Yoshio, before he turned to Yumi. "Go on now Yumi-chan. I'll make sure he doesn't bug you anymore if it's the last thing I do."
 
"Arigato, onii-chan!" smiled Yumi, a rare thing she does to her brother, before she skipped her way out of the classroom.
 
Kaji sighed. "Why are you all against me?"
 
"Because little Ichigo-chan doesn't like what you're doing to her" said Fonzu.
 
"That's right, Kaji-kun. Perhaps you might like her, but she won't like you if you keep making her mad," said Shiori.
 
"And you have to get past me first!" said Yoshio firmly. Potsu and Yuko nodded.
 
"Ugh. Whatever" sighed Kaji.
 
"Alright that's enough guys." said Fonzu. "We ought to be friendly here now"
 
"Yeah sure!" said Yoshio grudgingly.
 
"So, how you doing in school lately?" Fonzu asked Kaji.
 
"Oh not too bad if I say so myself" replied Kaji. "I've been having fun so far!"
 
"That's the spirit!" said Yuko. "You joined any clubs yet?"
 
"Not yet! But I'm thinking of either the baseball club, or any band club that plays rock music."
 
"Well, how about joining us?" asked Potsu.
 
"Hmm, if you need a drummer, yeah!" said Kaji.
 
"Oh? You play drums?" asked Yuko.
 
"Yeah he sure does" said Fonzu.
 
"Hmm, yeah we do need one. Right now it's just me on lead guitar and Potsu on bass" said Yoshio, whose curiosity piqued.
 
"Great! Count me in!" replied Kaji.
 
"Well, looks like your rock band's gonna shape up" said Fonzu.
 
"I guess you're right" said Yoshio. "Though we could use a lead vocal."
 
"Fonzu-niisan! Why don't you take that position? It'll be fun!" said Kaji.
 
"Well," Fonzu hesitated.
 
"I think it's great" said Shiori.
 
"Really?" asked Fonzu.
 
"Hai!" replied Shiori with a smile.
 
"In that case, sure!"
 
"Alright!" shouted Yoshio and Potsu.
 
"Hey," Fonzu whispered to Kaji. "Maybe this could be your ticket to going for Yumi. By being buddies with her brother"
 
"Hmm, yeah!" replied Kaji.
 
"Um, what are you guys whispering about?" asked Shiori.
 
"Oh nothing special. Just giving him some good advice." said Fonzu.
 
"Yeah that's right" added Kaji.
 
"Well, then, let's have a club meeting soon. How's this Sunday at Aoi's?" asked Yoshio.
 
"I'm in!" said Potsu.
 
"Me too!" said Kaji.
 
"Sorry, I gotta pass on this one. I'm busy that day" said Fonzu.
 
"Huh? Hey come on!" said Yoshio.
 
"Fonzu-kun's right," said Shiori, surprising everyone.
 
"Huh? How do you know?" asked Yuko.
 
"Um, I'm seeing him on Sunday." replied Shiori, almost shyly.
 
"Eh?" said Kaji "Fonzu-niisan you have a date with Fujisaki-sempai?"
 
"Not really. We're just gonna have a little talk and snack." said Fonzu.
 
"Yeah right" said Yoshio. "Shiori-chan has never gone on a date with a guy before, and BAM! you're going out with her? Something special must be going on between you two."
 
"Mou! Yoshio-kun!" retorted Shiori.
 
"Like I said, we're just good friends." clarified Fonzu.
 
"Oh well, guess it can't be helped" said Potsu, before leaning on Fonzu and whispering "Good luck with her!". Shiori heard it and blushed.
 
"What for?" responded Fonzu. Potsu simply grinned. Just before things got more embarrasing for Shiori, the bell rang, siginfying first period.
 
"We'll talk later, okay?" said Fonzu to Shiori.
 
"Uh, yeah." answered Shiori before she returned to her seat.
 
"Bye guys!" said Yuko before running off to her classroom.
 
“See ya all! Good to see you again Fonzu-niisan!” said Kaji as he ran off as well.
 
(Lunchbreak)
 
"Ah! I'm starved." said Potsu. "Shall we?"
 
"Yeah, let's move it quick!" said Yoshio.
 
“Yeah, before you-know-who gets here!” added Yuko.
 
"What's the rush?" asked Fonzu. "Wasn't the Canteen's crowding issue straightend out?"
 
"It's not that. Yumi-chan got praised yesterday for answering a complicated question in one of her classes, and she intends to celebrate" said Yoshio dryly.
 
"Oh? How?" asked Shiori.
 
"Remember what happened after Shiori-chan left ahead of us last Sunday when were in Kirameki Park?" said Potsu.
 
"Oh that one" said Fonzu, with a bit of dread.
 
"Eh? What happened?" asked Shiori.
 
"I was gonna mention it to you this morning but got sidetracked with everyone. You see..." Fonzu began.
 
(Flashback to Sunday, April 6, 1997, Kirameki Park)
 
"Well shall we have some lunch?" said Potsu.
 
"Yeah! Let's chow!" said Yuko.
 
"So what we gonna have for lunch?" asked Fonzu.
 
"I have just the thing" said Yumi.
 
"Oh?" said Potsu.
 
"Yep! Tada!" said Yumi, taking out several Bentos from her backpack.
 
"You made lunch Ichigo-chan?" said Fonzu.
 
"Yep!" said Yumi. "Here, help yourselves!" Yumi offered a bento to Fonzu, Yuko, and Potsu, one each.
 
"Don't mind if I do" said Fonzu, taking a bite, just as Yuko and Potsu ate their shares. "Um," began Fonzu, whose face started to turn purple.
 
"What do you think Fonzu-kun?" asked Yumi.
 
"It's, different" said Fonzu, trying to be tactful as Yumi's cooking was starting to give him an upset stomach.
 
"Yeah, it is" said Yuko, who tried not to throw up. Potsu was on the verge of collapse.
 
"Well, have some more!" said Yumi cheerfully.
 
"Uh, I think that's enough" said Fonzu. "Scuse me!" he blurted as he made a run to the nearest restroom with Yuko and Potsu in pursuit.
 
(end flashback)
 
"You were lucky you went home ahead of us Shiori-san" finished Fonzu.
 
"Was it really that bad?" she asked.
 
"Onii-chan!!!" called the voice they were dreading.
 
"Oh no!" sighed Yoshio. "We're too late."
 
“Ugh!” sighed Yuko.
 
"Eat up everyone!" said Yumi as she stepped in bringing some of her not so delectable cooking.
 
"Um, we were just-" said Potsu, but was cut off by Yumi.
 
"Come on! I've worked very hard on this!" pleaded Yumi. "Shiori-sempai you haven't tried it yet right?"
 
"Well" said Shiori nervously, wondering if indeed what Fonzu told her was true.
 
"Here" Yumi quickly gave Shiori a piece before Fonzu could intervene. Shiori looked at the object of disdain, as everyone else regarded it, with worry, as Fonzu tried visually to dissuade her without Yumi noticing.
 
"Well?" asked Yumi.
 
"Okay" said Shiori, taking a bite. Everyone braced themselves as Shiori's face took a sick look.
 
"How is it?" asked Yumi.
 
"(ulp)" Shiori choked.
 
"Come on! It's not bad, is it?" said Yumi disappointedly. She was so distracted that she did not notice someone take a piece of her lunch and eating it.
 
"Hmm, delicious!" the unnoticed guest said.
 
"Ehhh!!!??" everyone shouted in surprise, while Shiori threw up, almost spitting whatever she ate into Fonzu's face.
 
"Shiori-san!" said Fonzu in alarm. "You alright?"
 
"Ugh!" Shiori sighed, looking as if she was going to pass out.
 
"Let me take you to the clinic." offered Fonzu.
 
"Arigato..." murmured Shiori, as Fonzu helped her up and led her to the clinic.
 
Meanwhile everyone who stayed behind was shocked as they saw Kaji actually enjoying Yumi's dish.
 
"Uh, are you serious?" asked Yoshio.
 
"You're not kidding are you?" said Yuko.
 
"Nope! This is great stuff! And the fact that Yumiko cooked it makes me feel like I'm in heaven!" said Kaji dreamily. Yoshio, Yuko, and Potsu fell backwards while Yumi was too stunned to move.
 
(School Infirmy)
 
"You alright Shiori-san?" asked a worried Fonzu.
 
"I'm okay. Thanks for helping me" replied Shiori, who was tucked into bed.
 
"I guess I should have stopped you back there."
 
"Ehehe. Yeah. What was I thinking. I only wanted to be nice to Yumi-chan. I can't imagine anyone wanting her cooking."
 
"I don't know. I'm worried about Kaji-kun though. If he likes her that much he's gonna have to force down that stuff of hers."
 
"Yeah. You're right. How's he gonna handle it?"
 
"Much as I would think back to the old proverb 'Love makes all things possible', this would still be ridiculous."
 
(After school)
 
"I still can't believe Kaji-kun actually liked that stuff of hers!" said a very surprised Fonzu.
 
"Yeah. It's just too, bizzare." added Shiori.
 
"Well, if he does, at least I could find something useful about him, like a waste disposal unit for Yumi-chan's cooking." said Yoshio sarcastically. Fonzu, Shiori, and Potsu facefaulted.
 
"Um, isn't that a little harsh there, for both of them?" said Potsu.
 
"Well-" Yoshio began, but was interrupted by a hysterical girl being chased by a boy.
 
"No, no, no, NO!!!!" yelled Yumi as she ran like crazy. "I'm not cooking for you, baka!"
 
"Please! Your food is the best thing in the whole world! I beg you, Yumiko!" called Kaji who pursued Yumi out the school gates. Fonzu, Shiori, Yoshio, and Potsu sweatdropped then looked at each other with confused faces.
 
"I don't know about you," began Potsu. "But I think he really has it bad for her now."
 
"(sigh!) And just when I thought he had some good points" said Yoshio. "But he's really pushing it now. Anyway I'd better go after them before anything happens to Yumi-chan. See ya!" Yoshio then ran off after the pair.
 
"Well I'm off too. You sure you're alright Shiori-chan?" asked Potsu.
 
"I'm okay" replied Shiori.
 
"Well, just to make sure, you better ride with us like I insisted." said Fonzu.
 
"Really I'm okay."
 
"Please, don't make us worry about you again." said Fonzu.
 
"Well, alright." Shiori relented.
 
"Okay then, take good care of her Fonzu-san!" said Potsu as he left.
 
"Will do. See you tomorrow!" said Fonzu.
 
"Bye!" said Shiori. Just then the Harley motorbike arrived.
 
"Hey Shinobu-neesan!" said Fonzu.
 
"Well, is this our passenger?" asked the bike's driver. "How do you do? Shiori Fujisaki right? I'm Shinobu, Fonzu's older cousin"
 
"Hello Shinobu-san" greeted Shiori.
 
"Here, put this on" said Fonzu, offering Shiori a helmet, as he put on his after taking his place on the bike behind Shinobu. "Make sure to hang on to me tightly."
 
"Um, yeah." said Shiori, as she put the helmet on, then took her place behind Fonzu before hesitantly wrapping her arms around his waist. Fonzu likewise held onto Shinobu.
 
"Okay, here we go!" said Shinobu, as the bike sped away. Shiori was startled at first by the sheer speed, then she held on tightly to Fonzu and found herself relaxed. She though at first it would be embarrasing, but somehow, she felt comfortable holding him this way.
 
 
Ending theme
 
Sayonara grey sky, hello aoi.
When I hold you it's so sugoi.
Feels so right, it can't be wrong.
Rockin' and rollin' all week long.
 
These days are all,
Share them with me (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Tokimeki (Itoshii)
These Toki Days are yours and mine (These Toki Days are yours and mine), Toki Days
 
Ending Theme Ends
 
 
 
Chapter Epiloge
 
(In front of Shiori's house)
 
"Thanks for the ride" said Shiori after she got off the motorbike.
 
"Take it easy Shiori-san!" said Fonzu.
 
"Sure!" replied Shiori.
 
"Bye! Nice meeting you!" said Shinobu.
 
"Ja!" replied Shiori, who then went inside her house.
 
"Things looking up between you two?" teased Shinobu.
 
"We're just friends for the moment, but I think we're doing okay. Just a matter of time." replied Fonzu.
 
Meanwhile, unknown to the two, Shiori hid behind her front door, spying on them.
 
"Strange, it was so, right, holding him like that." she thought. "Like he was... just what is it with him?" she wondered.
 
-TBC
 
 
A/N: So now Fonzu's somewhat immature cousin Kaji makes an appearance. Like his Happy Days counterpart Chachi Arcola, he has a huge crush on Yumi (counterpart of Joanie of course, and Chachi's target of affection), and needless to say, Yumi is not amused (particularly regarding his pet name for her, Yumiko, just as Chachi calls Joanie "Blue Eyes"; while Yumiko is a valid girls' name, the 'ko' syllable can also be a word that means "child", and that's what Yumi hates about it, since she wants to be treated like a lady). In fact, she's rather displeased to know that he's the only person who actually likes her cooking (and you know how horrible Yumi's cooking is if you're familiar with the game). More quirks to come. I made him such that he had a Kanzi accent to make him a more colorful character, especially when he tries to speak english. Also, the "Toki Days Band" is looking to shape up.

Some of you might be wondering why Megumi was present in the first chapter, but has been absent since. Remember that Megumi is very shy towards boys, so obviously she'd be reluctant to mingle in with the “Toki Days Gang”, which already had 2 boys in it at the beginning (3 now that Fonzu is with them), despite possible efforts from Shiori to invite her. After all, gamewise, you don't meet Megumi until much later on (in my experience in the game, the earliest I get to meet her is at the 2nd Christmas party, which is on December 24, 1997 in the SNES version). Don't worry though, Fonzu's friendly charm will eventually draw her out of her shell and interact with the gang, but it will take time (so likely also at Rei's Christmas Party). Perhaps I'll put some cameo appearances of her when she's alone with Shiori, from time to time.