Tokimeki Memorial Fan Fiction ❯ Toki Days ❯ Fun Run ( Chapter 22 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Toki Days
 
A Tokimeki Memorial - Happy Days Crossover / Slightly AU, Romance, Comedy, Drama, Parody
 
by Sailor Enlil
 
Tokimeki Memorial: Forever With You story with a flavor of Happy Days
 
Synopsis: Shiori Fujisaki starts her 2nd year in Kirameki Highschool with vague memories of her childhood. On the first day of school when she arrives at the gate, Rei Ijuuin, the Principal's grandson, makes his usual grand entrance via a limousine and cheering girls, a routine he's gone through since junior high. However, a new male transfer student in a black leather jacket arrives as a passenger on a motorcycle, and when he removes his helmet, he's dashingly handsome with a greased hairdo and carries himself like a debonair gentleman, effectively drawing the girls away from Rei. Meanwhile, as Shiori looks at him, she gets a nagging feeling in her heart that there's something strangely familiar about him.
 
Tokimeki Memorial is property of Konami; Happy Days is the creation of Garry Marshall and property of the American Broadcasting Company
 
 
Chapter prologue
 
(Sunday, June 1, 1997, Morning)

Two teenagers were jogging side by side along the street, one a greasehaired teenage boy, another a greenhaired tomboy, both in exercise gear. Both of them didn't appear to be breaking a sweat, being perhaps the most fit people of the locality. At the moment they were approaching the Kirameki High campus, passing near the oval track.
 
"Seems everyone's getting a workout this morning, Nozomi-san." commented Fonzu, glancing at the students engaged in different sports activities, then looking forwards again.
 
"Yeah they sure are" replied Nozomi. Suddenly she tensed as she caught sight of a small but fast flying towards them. "Fonzu! LOOK OUT!" she yelped, then ducked in response, stopping in her tracks.
 
"Hmm, I wonder whose ball this is?" Fonzu's voice chimed calmly.
 
"Eh....?" piped Nozomi, slowly standing up straight, and was awestruck to see Fonzu, jogging in place, looking curiously at a tennis ball in his hand. "A-ano..."
 
 
Opening Theme
 
Nichi, Tsuki, Toki Days
Ka, Sui, Toki Days
Moku, Kana, Toki Days
Tsuchi, what a day
Groovin' all week with you
 
These days are all,
Tokimeki (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Share them with me (Itoshii)
 
Sayonara grey sky, hello aoi.
When I hold you it's so sugoi.
Feels so right, it can't be wrong.
Rockin' and rollin' all week long.
 
These days are all,
Share them with me (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Tokimeki (Itoshii)
These Toki Days are yours and mine (These Toki Days are yours and mine), Toki Days
 
Opening Theme Ends
 
 
Chapter 22: Fun Run
 
Nozomi's mind was swirling after trying to deduce how Fonzu, who had his full attention to the sidewalk as far as she knew, managed to catch a fast flying tennis ball on a collision course with his head coming from the side. She was snapped out of her reverie when a soft, slow paced voice called from the campus.
 
"Hey there! That must be my tennis ball!" said a girl with pink hair tied in two braided pigtails and wearing a typical tennis outfit, carrying her racket with her.
 
"Oh this?" said Fonzu, tossing the tennis ball to the newcomer, who catches it with her racket before passing it to her free hand.
 
"Arigato! Sorry if it got in the way or anything" said the tennis player. "Oh by the way, you're Akito Fonzureri, right?"
 
"The one and only!" grinned Fonzu.
 
"I'm Yukari Koshiki. Please call me Yukari. Oh, I heard about you from my friend Yuko"
 
"Oh, you mean Yuko Asahina? I see she's got more friends aside from Ichigo-chan"
 
"Who?" piped Yukari quizzically.
 
"Ah, I mean Yumi Saotome" Fonzu corrected himself.
 
"Um, excuse me" said Nozomi rather impatiently.
 
"Oh, Nozomi-chan! Gomen!" said Yukari bashfully.
 
"Oh I see you know each other too?" said Fonzu.
 
"Yeah, since were both in sports clubs" replied Nozomi, before looking quizzically at Fonzu. "How did you do that?"
 
"Eh?" wondered Fonzu, now facing Nozomi with Yukari a few paces to his side.
 
"Catch the ball like that?"
 
"Oh? Like this maybe?" said Yukari, tossing the ball to Fonzu.
 
Nozomi's eyes went wide after seeing Fonzu's hand snap from his hip to his eye level, fingers closed on the ball just barely before it should hit his head, without Fonzu even taking his gaze off Nozomi. "I didn't even see his hand move!" thought Nozomi.
 
"Just a little something I picked up from baseball." said Fonzu, tossing the ball at Nozomi this time. Given her state of mind, she barely caught it.
 
"Uh, yeah, right." murmured Nozomi, throwing the ball back to Yukari. “Anyway, not to be rude but Fonzu and I were in the middle of a workout…”
 
“Hey, no sweat Nozomi” said Fonzu.
 
Ara… you're right” piped Yukari. “Besides, I need to get back to practice anyway. See you!” Yukari then left.
 
“Quite an interesting one there” said Fonzu.
 
Nozomi sighs. “Yeah, if you can get used to her slow talk, plus the fact that she can be `out there' once in a while” she mutters.
 
“Nah, she's alright as far as I'm concerned” said Fonzu. “Besides, I've met someone like that back home.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“Yeah. Nice girl. Too bad she moved away in Junior High.”
 
Nozomi hummed. “Anyway, let's get moving! We still got 46 kilometers to go.”
 
“Sure thing” replied Fonzu. “Ladies first?” he grinned.
 
“Uh…” Nozomi flustered. “L-let's just move it please.”
 
Fonzu chuckled as the two of them jogged on.
 
 
(Lunchtime, at Aoi's Drive In)
 
“Oooh, so you met Yukari-chan this morning?” asked Yuko.

“Yeah! Nice girl too.” replied Fonzu. “So, you're long time friends?”
 
“Yeah. She was my best friend in elementary school, before I met Yumi.”
 
“Eh? How come you didn't tell us about her?” asked Yumi.
 
“We got separated just a year before I entered junior high. We ended up not keeping in touch. By the time I met Yoshio-kun, I thought she'd forgotten about me.” said Yuko. “So I was surprised when we bumped into each other a few weeks ago.”
 
“Well, at least it's good to know she hasn't forgotten you.” said Potsu.
 
“Yeah.” replied Yuko. Then she turned to Yoshio. “Say, you don't happen to have her name in your little phonebook, Yoshio-kun?”
 
“Eh!?” gapsed Yoshio. “Well, actually... I mean... yeah, but...”
 
Yuko sighed. “Well, you could have told me about it.”
 
“Well, I didn't know you were friends or anything. I mean, I don't exactly know everything about each girl in my book, so...”
 
“Alright alright. Enough of that” said Fonzu, sensing the atmosphere getting tense. “So what's special about this coming Saturday? Nozomi-san got me all worked out for that day but didn't say much about why.”
 
“Oh, it's the sports festival!” said Yoshio.
 
“You mean when all the class sections compete against each other?” asked Fonzu.
 
“Yep!” replied Potsu. “First there's the usual sports like sprints and obstacle courses. Then there's more.”
 
“Like what?” asked Fonzu.
 
“First there's the 'Borrowing Game'.” said Yuko.
 
“Borrowing Game?”
 
“Yeah! Kind of like a scavenger hunt. It's starts with a sprint run to the first stop, then you'll get a card. Written on that card is the object you must 'borrow'.” said Potsu.
 
“So why borrow?”
 
“It has to be something that's not yours. That's why it's borrowing” said Yoshio. “Anyway after you find that object, just head for the finish line.”
 
“Interesting. Any other kinds of events I should know?”
 
“There's also the 3 legged race.” said Yuko.
 
“3 legged race?”
 
“You and a partner of the opposite sex will have your ankles tied together, then you race together.” said Potsu.
 
“Ah. I get it.”
 
“And one thing. Shiori-chan's the reigning champ of the 3-legged.” said Yoshio.
 
“Is that so?”
 
“Yeah. I was her partner last year and we aced it” said Yoshio.
 
“Oh yeah.” said Yuko, with a somewhat sullen face.
 
“What's wrong Yuko-san?” asked Fonzu.
 
“Ah, nothing!” jolted Yuko.
 
“She's kinda jealous not to have been Yoshio's partner” whispered Potsu.
 
“I see.”
 
“Anyway, this year the student council is interested in having more events added in.” said Yoshio.
 
“Really?” asked Fonzu.
 
“Yeah. I hear someone plans on asking you for ideas.”
 
“Don't tell me, a certain blue-haired sports manager?”
 
“Ehehehe yeah if you mean Nijino-san.”
 
“Actually, there are a few things I have in mind.”
 
“Like?” asked Potsu.
 
 
(Saturday, June 7, early afternoon, Kirameki Highschool Track Oval)
 
The day of the Sportsfest was a flurry of all sorts of physical games. They varied from simple games such as the 400 meter dash, to more complex ones like the obstacle course, and more physically demanding ones, like one where Fonzu and Shiori teamed up to roll a huge medicine ball whose diameter was twice their height around the track oval, an event the pair won incidentally. By early afternoon, Fonzu, Yoshio, Potsu, Yuuko, Yumi, and Kaji met near the Track Oval.
 
“Man that sack race was exhausting!” said Potsu.
 
“No way! The wheelbarrow beats everything!” said Yuko, “And considering I was the wheelbarrow, and my hands are still sore.”
 
“Same here! I don't know if I can join the basketball team now that my hands are so sore” whined Yumi.
 
“Uh-uh! That 'market race' was humiliating! Having to dress like a woman and bring those groceries?” said Yoshio, before turning to Fonzu. “Were those games your ideas of fun Fonzu?”
 
“Well, they were fun for me and my friends back in Milwaukee” said Fonzu.
 
“I wonder if I can imagine that” said Yoshio.
 
“Hehe I saw pictures of those one time.” said Kaji. “But Fonzu-niisan sure aced all of them!”
 
“EHHH!??” gapsed Yoshio, Yuko, Yumi, and Potsu.
 
“And yet you stuck to our traditional games?” asked Yuko.
 
“Well, I did want to try something new. I didn't know they'd take all my time.” said Fonzu.
 
“But you sure beat those ones too!” said Kaji. “That was a new record in tennis ball balancing race! And you sure picked out Kiyokawa-sempai out of that crowd in a blink!”
 
“Hehe you're not too bad yourself Kaji-kun, after all you aced the obstacle course.”
 
“Now I see how he got away from us in the cafeteria...” mumbled Yoshio, causing everyone to laugh.
 
“Fonzu-kun!” called Shiori.
 
“Shiori-san?” replied Fonzu.
 
“We have a problem. Our representatives for the 3-legged race are injured from other events. So I volunteered to do it.”
 
“Oh, well I'm sure you'll do fine.” said Fonzu.
 
“Yeah! Our class will win if you do it Shiori-chan!” said Yoshio.
 
“Ah, thank you, but I don't have a partner yet.” said Shiori worriedly.
 
“Oh.” said Fonzu.
 
“So... I was... wondering... if... well...” began Shiori nervously.
 
“Yes?”
 
“Can you be my partner Fonzu-kun? Please?” pleaded Shiori, bowing slightly with her hands together in front of her. “Since we won that ball rolling race earlier, i thought maybe... uh...”
 
“Woa!” said everyone else.
 
“Hmm...” hummed Fonzu, seemingly in thought.
 
A-ano...” piped Shiori.
 
“Sure! I'll do it!” said Fonzu.
 
With her eyes widening, Shiori smiled. “Arigatougozaimasu!”
 
“Uh, Fonzo-san, are you sure about this?” asked Yoshio.
 
“Yeah, I mean, have you tried running with one of your feet tied to someone else's?” added Potsu.
 
“Well, kinda, sorta like that caterpillar race just after the lunch break.” replied Fonzu.
 
“Ugh! That one hurt too!” said Yuko.
 
“Anyway I guess I gotta register and prepare for it, right Shiori-san?” said Fonzu.
 
“Eh? Ah... hai!” replied Shiori nervously, before accompanying him to the main committee's booth.
 
“Shiori-chan acting strangely again eh?” said Yoshio.
 
“I think it's starting to look obvious.” replied Potsu.
 
“Come on, guys! No time for that! We gotta cheer them on!” said Yuko. “If they win this race, 2A will be the champions!”
 
“Uh, aren't you supposed to be cheering for your team, Sempai?” asked Kaji.
 
“Well sure, but this is Shiori-chan and Fonzu-kun. I kinda have a soft spot for them taking over like this!” replied Yuko.
 
“Whatever...” murmured Yoshio.
 
 
(30 minutes later)
 
“The final event will start in 5 minutes. All participants of the 3-legged race please proceed to the track oval.” a voice rang through the PA system.
 
“You ready Fonzu-kun?” asked Shiori as she and Fonzu were at the starting line. His right ankle was tied to her left.
 
“Nothing to it Shiori-san.” said Fonzu, smiling, causing Shiori to blush. “Now, don't worry about timing yourself with me. Just run like you normally would.”
 
“EH!!??” gasped Shiori. “Demo...”
 
“Don't worry about it.” replied Fonzu reassuringly. “Trust me okay?”
 
“Uh, okay.”
 
“Now,” said Fonzu, putting his right arm around Shori's shoulder, while taking her left arm around his shoulder, causing her to blush further. “Let's get this show on the road, shall we.”
 
“Ah, uh, hai!” replied Shiori quickly.
 
“On your marks,” called the starting official, pistol in the air. “Get set...”
 
Within moments, the gun fired, and the race was off.
 
“Go Fonzu-kun! Shiori-chan!” called Yuko from the sidelines. Yoshio, Potsu, and Kaji were cheering as well.
 
Shiori found it strange. She was running full speed, and somehow didn't feel her left foot being held back as it normally would have under the circumstances. The only indication she was linked to Fonzu was the weight of his arm around her, and his face as she occasionally glanced back at him.
 
By the midpoint of the race however, Shiori looked to her left, expecting to see Fonzu, but instead, she saw that same shadow that she had been seeing earlier.
 
Nani!?!?” she gasped. “What is this?” she thought. As she gazed on the shadowy figure, she began to hear voices - those of young children. Suddenly everything around her went into a haze.
 
“What's happening?” Shiori wondered to herself in a panic. She was still running, but something was different. Instead of being linked to Fonzu like she was supposed to be, she was holding hands with what appears to be a young boy before his teens, only she could not make out his face. She could hear him laughing, as if having a good time while running with her. Even stranger, she felt as if she was no bigger than he was.
 
“Eh!? Who... who are you!?” Shiori tried asking the boy. But the boy did not answer, and they both just kept running. “Ah... ano... KYAAA!!!” Shiori yelped as she tripped, letting go of the boy's hand as she fell.
 
Itaaaaiii...” moaned Shiori as she clutched her left knee.
 
Daijoubu, Shiori-chan?” asked the boy, startling Shiori.
 
“Eh?” yelped Shiori, looking up seeing the boy holding out his hand to her. Hesitantly, she took his hand, but as she did, the haze cleared, and the boy's features seemed to morph, as if he was aging quickly. Before she knew it, she was looking at a worried Fonzu.
 
“Huh? Fonzu-kun?” said Shiori in surprise. “What happened?”
 
“You fell Shiori-san, after we crossed the finish line.” said Fonzu, helping Shiori up. “Sorry about that. I stopped but apparently didn't realize you were still going.”
 
“Agh!” winced Shiori, suddenly realizing her left ankle was still tied to Fonzu's right as she got up.
 
“Are you alright Shiori-san? Are you hurt?”
 
“I think it's my knee.”
 
“Anyway let's get you to the medical booth, before we go to the awarding ceremony.”
 
“Awarding ceremony?”
 
“Yes. We won!”
 
“EH?” piped Shiori, looking around and seeing everyone around her cheering.
 
 
Ending theme
 
Sayonara grey sky, hello aoi.
When I hold you it's so sugoi.
Feels so right, it can't be wrong.
Rockin' and rollin' all week long.
 
These days are all,
Share them with me (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Tokimeki (Itoshii)
These Toki Days are yours and mine (These Toki Days are yours and mine), Toki Days
 
Ending Theme Ends
 
 
Chapter Epiloge
 
(Late Afternoon, Kirameki Main Grounds)
 
A large bonfire burned brightly in the center of the main grounds as a simple folk theme played through the PA system for the traditional folk dance. Boys and Girls paired together forming concentric circles around the bonfire, occasionally changing partners causing the circles to rotate.
 
“Well I must say congratulations to your class Potsu-kun” said Yuko to her current partner, Potsu.
 
“Gee thanks, Yuko-chan” replied Potsu as he twirled Yuko around.
 
“You must have had fun at the market game Saotome-kun” said Mio as she danced with Yoshio.
 
“Ehehehe, but it was embarrassing” replied Yoshio.
 
“Ouch! Take it easy Yumi.. I mean Saotome-san” yelped Kaji as he did his best to keep up with Yumi.
 
“Mau! Stop complaining Arima-kun!” said Yumi as she gripped his wrists rather forcefully.
 
“That was a great run back there Fonzu-kun” said Nozomi as she glided along with Fonzu.
 
“I enjoyed every bit of it, Nozomi-san” replied Fonzu.
 
“Hmm, you again? At least you seemed to know your steps” said Mira as she found herself pair with Yosho.
 
“Ah, well, I've been getting, lessons from a good friend” replied Yosho nervously, as Mira looked at him with suspicion.
 
“Well, interesting to meet you again Potsu-kun. How's your band going?” said Ayako as she ended up paired with Potsu.
 
“We're doing great.” replied Potsu.
 
“You were greatm Fonzu-kun!” said Saki as it was her turn to be paired with Fonzu.
 
“Thanks Saki-san” replied Fonzu.
 
“Ah, hello Arima-kun” greeting Akiho as she joined Kaji as his next partner. “So we meet again”
 
“Hi! Same here” replied Kaji.
 
“Ara? You must be Yuko-chan's friend” said Yukari as she joined in with Yoshio.
 
“Ah, yeah. So, how's it going?” said Yoshio.
 
“Ah, eh, hello?” said Miharu quietly as she shyly joined in with Potsu.
 
“Hmm? Oh it's you.” said Potsu. “Nice bumping into you again.” Miharu remained silent, wishing she was in the arms of another guy...
 
“Um, Fonzu-kun! Konnichiwa!” greeted Shiori softly as Fonzu took her in his arms.
 
“Hello Shiori-san!” replied Fonzu, as he danced with Shiori. They remained silent for a few moments, each deep in thought.
 
“What was that I saw? Could it be... no way... was that Fonzu-kun?” thought Shiori.
 
“I wonder what happened to her back there?” wondered Fonzu as he held Shiori close to him.
 
-TBC
 
A/N: Whew! Been ages since my last update. Writer's block can really be a pain in the fanny, not to mention Real Life is such a load.
 
Stay tuned!