Tokimeki Memorial Fan Fiction ❯ Toki Days ❯ Happy Birthday Yumi! ( Chapter 21 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Toki Days
 
A Tokimeki Memorial - Happy Days Crossover / Slightly AU, Romance, Comedy, Drama, Parody
 
by Sailor Enlil
 
Tokimeki Memorial: Forever With You story with a flavor of Happy Days
 
Synopsis: Shiori Fujisaki starts her 2nd year in Kirameki Highschool with vague memories of her childhood. On the first day of school when she arrives at the gate, Rei Ijuuin, the Principal's grandson, makes his usual grand entrance via a limousine and cheering girls, a routine he's gone through since junior high. However, a new male transfer student in a black leather jacket arrives as a passenger on a motorcycle, and when he removes his helmet, he's dashingly handsome with a greased hairdo and carries himself like a debonair gentleman, effectively drawing the girls away from Rei. Meanwhile, as Shiori looks at him, she gets a nagging feeling in her heart that there's something strangely familiar about him.
 
Tokimeki Memorial is property of Konami; Happy Days is the creation of Garry Marshall and property of the American Broadcasting Company
 
 
Chapter prologue
 
(Monday, May 12, 1997, Evening, Kirameki HS, Music Room)

"Alright that's a wrap!" said Fonzu as put his guitar down. He then turned to Yosho. "Happy now?"
 
"Hmm, yeah." replied Yoshio.
 
"Was that necessary Yoshio?" asked Potsu, putting his bass guitar into its case. "I mean, one song was enough work. But a second one, even with Fonzu-san leading?"
 
"Look I'm just worried about Yumi-chan okay?" said Yoshio. "I know she'd like something from Fonzu-san. Especially after what happened yesterday after her date with the little runt."
 
"Hey! Didn't do a thing! I keep telling you." said Kaji.
 
"Yeah, right" said Yoshio.
 
Fonzu, Potsu, and Shiori just shook their heads.

 
Opening Theme
 
Nichi, Tsuki, Toki Days
Ka, Sui, Toki Days
Moku, Kana, Toki Days
Tsuchi, what a day
Groovin' all week with you
 
These days are all,
Tokimeki (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Share them with me (Itoshii)
 
Sayonara grey sky, hello aoi.
When I hold you it's so sugoi.
Feels so right, it can't be wrong.
Rockin' and rollin' all week long.
 
These days are all,
Share them with me (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Tokimeki (Itoshii)
These Toki Days are yours and mine (These Toki Days are yours and mine), Toki Days
 
Opening Theme Ends
 
 
Chapter 21: Happy Birthday Yumi!
 
(May 16, Friday Night, outside Aoi's Drive-In)
 
"(Sigh) Why is everyone acting weird these past few days?" grumbled Yumi as she and Kaji approach the front door of their hangout, which appeared to be closed.
 
"Huh, ah, what do you mean?" asked Kaji, feinging ignorance.
 
"Yuko-chan dragged me out of school everyday this week, nobody else seems to be talking to me, and Onii-chan keeps asking me if I'm alright." said Yumi. "And now you're bringing me here to Aoi's Drive-in instead of Yuko-chan? And while it's closed!?"
 
"Ah... well, it's... ah" stuttered Kaji, trying to stall while opening the door to the diner.
 
"What is it?" asked Yumi demandingly.
 
"It's just that" began Kaji, before he turned on the lights.
 
"Huh? What's going on-" began Yumi, but was cut off.
 
"SURPRISE!" everyone shouted from inside the diner, which now was decorated with streamers, and a large banner with the words "Happy Birthday Yumi".
 
"EHHH!?!?!" gasped Yumi.
 
"Hehehe Happy Birthday Yumi-san!" said Kaji sheepishly.
 
"Happy Birthday Ichigo-chan!" greeted Fonzu.
 
"Happy Birthday Yumi-chan" chorused Shiori, Yuko, Mio, Saki, Ayako, and Nozomi, along with a few of Yumi's and Yuko's classmates.
 
"Happy Birthday!" greeted Potsu.
 
“Happy Birthday kiddo.” greeted Aoi.
 
"Happy Birthday Imouto-chan." greeted Yoshio.
 
"Oh my... A-Arigato miina..." said Yumi shyly.
 
"Well, don't just stand there, let's party!" said Fonzu.
 
(A few minutes later)
 
"Ah, so you met Akiho Minori-chan, Saki-sempai?" said Yumi.
 
"Yep!" replied Saki.
 
"So you're managing the baseball team, sempai?" asked Akiho, one of Yumi's classmates.
 
"Hai, though I'm thinking of moving to the soccer team." said Saki.
 
"Huh?" piped Akiho. "Why?"
 
"I'd like to explore a bit. See what else is out there." said Saki.
 
"Hey Fonzu-kun I heard you guys prepared something." said Nozomi.
 
"Yeah." replied Fonzu. "Hey Kaji-kun, you ready?"
 
"Yep!" replied Kaji.
 
"Saotome-san, Potsu-san, let's get this show on the road!" said Fonzu to the two other guys.
 
"Okay" said Yoshio.
 
"Right with ya!" said Potsu.
 
The girls gasped in wonder when the four guys went to the stage and took their instruments. Then Fonzu spoke up.
 
"Alright everyone, Kaji-kun here has a little surprise of his own for Ichigo-chan." said Fonzu.
 
"EH???" gasped Yumi. "A-Arima-kun!?"
 
"Woa, he must really like you Yumi-chan." said Akiho.
 
"Ah-, well, what do I care?" retorted Yumi, who began trying to fend off questions from her classmates while the older girls giggled at the scene.
 
"And..." said Kaji, clapping his drumsticks, before Fonzu began a simple tune followed by some deep chords by Yoshio. Eventually Potsu and Kaji joined in with a moderate melancholy beat.
 
"Eh? I think I heard this before." said Yumi.
 
"Oh?" piped Akiho.
 
"Yeah. Sounds like something Onii-chan used to listen to." said Yumi. Before long, Kaji started singing, which surprised Yumi.
 
I have climbed highest mountain
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you
 
“Wow! He's got a sweet voice” teased one of Yumi's classmates
 
“Eh… Urusai!” retorted Yumi.
 
“Come on! Don't deny it” teased another of Yumi's classmates.
 
“Says you!” spat Yumi. Though deep inside, she couldn't help but agree that Kaji sang rather beautifully.
 
Kaji went on to the next verse.
 
I have run
I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls
These city walls
Only to be with you
 
“Well, not bad kid” commented Nozomi.
 
“He's better than I expected” said Saki.
 
“Great choice of song too” said Ayako, as Kaji was joined by Potsu in the chorus.
 
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
 
Sugoi!” commented Yuko.
 
Hai. I have to admit I kinda like this” said Mio.
 
“Me too” added Shiori.
 
Kaji went solo again as the second stanza came.
 
I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in her fingertips
It burned like fire
This burning desire
 
Ne, Yumi-chan” said Akiho.
 
“What?” asked Yumi.
 
“You're blushing.”
 
“I - I'm not!” said Yumi, trying to maintain her composure.
 
“Wanna look in a mirror?”
 
“Hmmph!” grunted Yumi, turning her face to one side, but her eyes couldn't leave Kaji as he continued, this time joined by Potsu and Yoshio.
 
I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone
 
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
 
By this time the music reached its instrumental segment. No fancy tuning from Yoshio this time, other than a few occasional strums. Still, the overall effects of the music, particularly Kaji's drum beats, were mesmerizing, and the girls were now softly clapping to the music's rhythm. The last stanza finally came and all the band members sung together in chorus.
 
I believe in the kingdom come
Then all the colors will bleed into one
Bleed into one
Well yes I'm still running
 
You broke the bonds and you
Loosed the chains
Carried the cross
Of my shame
Of my shame
You know I believed it
 
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for...
 
After the last chorus, the band went through another instrumental which slowly faded. Once they finished, the audience applauded.
 
Sugoi!” cheered Saki.
 
“Great job guys!” said Nozomi.
 
“Good one Kaji-kun!” said Yuko.
 
Arigato miina!” said Kaji.
 
"Thank you very much!" said Fonzu.
 
Just as the cheering was dying down, Akiho strangely looked to Yumi, whose face was held rather low, and which was beet red. “Yumi-chan, daijoubu?“
 
“Ah… EHHH???” yelped Yumi, jolted out of her reverie as she embarrassingly realized that everyone was staring at her. “Wha- What are you guys looking at!?!?” she asked demandingly.
 
“Um, you were blushing” said Ayako.
 
“HOEEE???” cried Yumi in exasperation.
 
“Hmm, for a moment there you reminded me of someone in love” joked Yuko.
 
“Ah- I- Eh-“ stuttered Yumi. "SHUT UP YUKO-CHAN!!!" she hollered.
 
“Alright! Alright! Fun's over” said Fonzu. “We're not quite finished here yet.”
 
“Eh?” everyone gasped.
 
Fonzu turned to Kaji. “Kaji-kun, I think your present was a bit much for Ichigo-chan”
 
“Eh? Was it?” asked Kaji.
 
“Damn right it was” said Yoshio. “Though I admit I've always wanted to perform that song, embarrassing Yumi-chan like this is not my idea of performing for someone.”
 
“Hey let it slide Yoshio” said Potsu.
 
“Shut up” snapped Yoshio.
 
“Anyway” said Fonzu, turning to the audience. “I have a present of my own to Ichigo-chan."
 
“Oh?” everyone wondered.
 
“Eh?” piped Yumi.
 
“Whew! About time” commented Yoshio.
 
“Kaji-kun, if you may do the honors?” said Fonzu.
 
“And…” said Kaji, clapping his drumsticks, then beat the tom drums a bit signaling Fonzu to begin playing a fancy tune on his guitar, quickly followed by Yoshio and Potsu providing backgrounds.
 
"Woa! This is different!" said Nozomi. "This is more like it!"
 
"Yeah!" said Ayako.
 
To everyone's delight, Fonzu started singing.
 
Sweet surrender on the quayside
You remember we used to run and hide
In the shadow of the cargoes I take you one at a time
And we're counting all the numbers down to the waterline
 
"Woa! That's really something!" commented Nozomi.
 
"Sure is" said Ayako. "He sounds almost, sexy..."
 
"Hmm?" hummed Saki.
 
"You think so Katagiri-san?" asked Mio.
 
"Ahh, um, well..." stuttered Ayako. While she tried to fend off the weird looks she got from her friends, Fonzu continued to the next passage.
 
Near misses on the dogleap stairways
French kisses in the darkened doorways
A foghorn blowing out wild and cold
A policeman shines a light upon my shoulder
 
"Gee, he's sounds so, manly" commented Yumi's classmate.
 
"He didn't exactly sing like that before though" said Yumi.
 
"Oh?" piped Akiho.
 
"Yeah, he sang with a higher voice last time" said Yumi.
 
"Ah I see" said Akiho.
 
"I liked his higher voice better actually" said Yumi. "Um, not that he doesn't sound good now."
 
Fonzu continued with the third passage of the song.
 
Up comes a coaster fast and silent in the night
Over my shoulder all you can see are the pilot lights
No money in our jackets and our jeans are torn
Your hands are cold but your lips are warm
 
At this point Fonzu began playing some solo tunes on his guitar, surprising everyone.
 
"Woa he's good" said Yuko.
 
"Yes, quite a different style from Yoshio-kun" said Shiori.
 
"Hey check that out" said Nozomi.
 
"Hmm, that's new" said Ayako.
 
Eventually the last passage of the song came, and Fonzu went on, with Yoshio singing a second voice on the last line.
 
She can see him on the jetty where they used to go
She can feel him in the places where the sailors go
When she's walking by the river and the railway line
She can still hear him whisper
Let's go down to the waterline
 
One last instrumental stint was performed before the band made a rather stylish ending to the song, earning another round of applause.
 
"Thank you very much!" said Fonzu, earning load cheers.
 
"Thank you!" said Yoshio, Potsu, and Kaji.
 
 
Ending theme
 
Sayonara grey sky, hello aoi.
When I hold you it's so sugoi.
Feels so right, it can't be wrong.
Rockin' and rollin' all week long.
 
These days are all,
Share them with me (Those Toki Days)
These days are all
Tokimeki (Itoshii)
These Toki Days are yours and mine (These Toki Days are yours and mine), Toki Days
 
Ending Theme Ends
 
 
Chapter Epiloge
 
(After the party)
 
"Haaahhh. All cleaned up!" said Yoshio.
 
"Yeah. Let's go home!" said Potsu, before heading out the front door with Yoshio.
 
"Right behind you" said Kaji. Before he could step out, he was stopped by Yumi who came in through the door.
 
"Um, Arima-kun" began Yumi, rather bashfully.
 
"Uh, yeah?" piped Kaji with a curious look.
 
"I... I just want to say..." said Yumi, but cut herself off.
 
"Yeah?"
 
"Nothing personal, but, A-Arigato!" said Yumi suddenly. Before Kaji could react, he was flabbergasted when Yumi got on her toes and pecked him on the cheek, before quickly running outside.
 
"Ah... ah... " stuttered Kaji, frozen in shock.
 
 
-TBC
 
Song Credits:
"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2
"Down To The Waterline" by Dire Straits
 
A/N: I felt that hit from U2 had the right vocalization to illustraite Kaji's singing style, though I won't say he'd sing exactly like Bono. Plus if you recall two chapters back, the guys were talking about a band whose concert they watched in their childhood and got them in to rock music in the first place. It's now obvious what band that was.
 
Stay tuned!