Tokyo Babylon Fan Fiction / X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ In the Hands of an Uncaring God ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Summary: An evil cult is trying to get its hands on anyone with power. Kamui is the next victim. Subaru has to race against time to stop him from getting sacrificed. AU

Disclaimer: All characters that belong to CLAMP belong to CLAMP. I don't own them. I just love writing about them. Arimi Yuki and Ikeda Ran are mine.

Rating: PG-13 for violence and quite a bit of shounen-ai (tough to avoid when writing an X fic!)

Pairings: Subaru/Seishirou, Kamui/Fuuma, Fuuma/Kakyou, Sorata/Arashi, a little bit of Karen and Aoki near the end of the story.

Spoilers: Bits and pieces of X. This fic is very AU.

Chapter 2

All through the short walk to the cafe, Subaru remained quiet. The silence didn't unnerve Yuki though, being used to his cousin's moods. He merely waited patiently, figuring Subaru was probably organizing his thoughts. He was surprised when they got to the restaurant and after the waitress had brought their orders, to see Subaru whip out an ofuda and raise a small kekkai around them.

At Yuki's questioning raised brow, Subaru said mysteriously, "You never know who might be listening."

Now Yuki thought this might be a bit over paranoid, but he didn't say anything, trusting Subaru to know what he was doing. Yuki reflected that people often said Sumeragi Subaru was a little insane. In his experience they could be right. But he also knew his cousin usually had a reason for doing the things he did.

"Have you heard of the Order of the Promised Day?" Subaru began by asking.

"What?" Yuki frowned as he wondered why that name sounded so familiar. After thinking a bit he answered, "Oh isn't that the spiritual group that's pushing the government to recognise it as a religion?"

"It's more than just a spiritual group," said Subaru. "On the surface, it expounds peace and living in harmony among people and with the earth. But the group also teaches that the Apocalypse is coming."

Yuki groaned. "Oh lord, not another one of those doomsday cults. They're sprouting up all over Japan with the coming of the end of the millennium." As a journalist, Yuki was aware these groups often felt they had to give Armageddon a helping hand. This usually meant engaging in mass murder and destruction whether of their own members or innocent bystanders.

"Yes, it's a doomsday cult. But with a big difference. It has clout and power. And at the core, only revealed to its closest adherents, the group believes it has to prevent the Apocalypse."

"Prevent? What do you mean prevent?" Yuki asked.

Subaru grimaced. "I've discovered the leader has been preaching periodic human sacrifice. Apparently they subscribe to the twisted logic that one person can atone for the sins of everyone. And they do this every time they feel that the sin level has risen too high."

Yuki was looking at Subaru in horror. "What! What century are these people living in? How is it that no one's taking them to task for killing people?"

"Ah there's the rub. They cover it up so well. There are never any bodies found or if there are bodies, none are ever traced back to them. The big problem with this cult is that someone with heavy duty magic power is running the show."

"Who?" Yuki wondered.

"I don't know yet. That's the one thing I've not been able to find out." Subaru admitted.

Yuki sat back and thought about what Subaru had said. "Wait a minute, why did you even begin looking into this group?"

Subaru's emerald eyes held a depth of sadness in them. "Do you remember Hokuto?"

"Hokuto? Your twin?" Yuki suddenly remembered that she had disappeared nine years ago. Everyone had assumed that she had run away or something. She had always been a headstrong child. Yuki remembered his parents talking about poor Subaru, being totally devastated by her disappearance. At the time, he'd been preparing to enter university and had been doing nothing but study. He recalled his parents not even telling him about it until months after his exams. It was all very hush hush. By the next time he met Subaru, his cousin had appeared to have gotten over her and acted normal, if subdued. Yuki was ashamed to recall that he'd been the typical self-centered teenager, not really thinking too deeply about whether his cousin was in pain or in trouble.

Subaru nodded. "I think, no I'm almost certain she was one of their victims. You see, this group doesn't want just anybody to sacrifice. They're on the lookout for people with abilities. Psychics, people who control the elements or can do magic. Those that they don't kill, they frighten or convert to work for them."

Yuki gave in to a sudden impulse to take Subaru's hand. He didn't know how else to comfort his cousin.

Subaru looked gratefully at Yuki. "As far as I can tell, the followers have been saying that to prevent the Apocalypse for this millennium, they'll have to sacrifice someone with a lot of power."

"Do you know who's been targeted?" asked Yuki.

"Not exactly, but I'm sure it can't be an adult or someone they can't control easily. From what I understand, the ritual has to take place at a specific time so it has got to be someone they can grab and hold onto till they want to hold the event."

"So how do you know all this?" Yuki was curious.

Subaru suddenly blushed. "Well let's just say I've got some contacts from within the organization."

Yuki was concerned. "Are you sure they can be trusted?"

Subaru gave him a gaze that indicated he wasn't stupid. "You could say I'm being cautiously trustful of my sources."

Yuki suddenly got very worried for Subaru. "Hang on, if they find out you've been looking into them, you'll be a target!"

Subaru, being the sort who could never see danger for himself, shook his head. "No don't worry, I can take care of myself. But I consider you'd be a target, Yuki. That's why I was glad to bump into you today. I've been wanting to warn you. You've got enough power to show up in their sights."

Yuki waved a hand in dismissal. He didn't think he'd merit that much consideration. He knew he was only one of the lesser onmyoujitsu practitioners in Japan. "Not many people know about my abilities. I don't even practice." Subaru made as if to protest this but Yuki cut in, "So what has this got to do with the woman who was killed today?"

Subaru sighed in exasperation. "Didn't you feel it? The woman was standing in the way of something important - that kid, you KNOW the one I'm talking about."

Yuki's mind analysed the possibilities. "Shirou Kamui, she was his guardian," he concluded. "God, he'd be the perfect sacrifice. He's practically leaking power but so totally vulnerable. And his cocky friend too. Monou Fuuma would be a tempting target to convert as well. Subaru, we can't let this happen."

"The problem is I think they're probably going to do this all legal and fair. Adopt the kid then stage a disappearance. Unfortunately, troubled orphans run away all the time. Only difference this time is the poor kid is going to get murdered."

Yuki pulled at his hair in frustration. He was trying to think of a solution and failing miserably. "Could we.. like adopt the kid ourselves?"

"Problem is neither of us is married. You know how important a stable family environment is to those social services people." Subaru said dryly.

"I am so NOT going to get married just so I can adopt a kid. Don't you even suggest it." Yuki protested.

"Well I'm sure your mom will be happy. Hasn't she been after you to find a nice girl and settle down?" Subaru teased.

Yuki shook his finger at Subaru in mock anger. Then he sobered. "The only thing I can think of is for us to keep a really close eye on Kamui and his friends. If they make a move, we'd then be able to stop them. Do you mind if I tell Ran all this?"

"Sure, if you think he'll believe you. I mean all this sounds so unbelievable. I don't even have any solid proof. You know how the cops are about innocent till proven guilty," said Subaru.

Yuki sighed. "You're right. Looks like it's just the two of us." Then a funny thought struck him, "How about that, I've always wanted to be part of a dynamic duo, out to save the world."

Subaru's eyes lit up with genuine laughter and for the first time that evening, he smiled.

~~~~~

In a large mansion in a quiet part of Tokyo, a man was walking down a deserted hallway. He seemed in no particular hurry as he paced down the corridor, hands stuck in the pockets of his black designer suit, his dark overcoat swirling behind him. Though it was twilight, he remained wearing a pair of dark shades. Finally he stopped before a pair or ornate doors. Without pausing to knock, he turned the handle and strode in.

The large room within was curiously decorated. On the dark red painted walls hung pallid Japanese watercolours. There were no windows. The only source of light were fixtures on the sides of the walls and a large chandelier in the ceiling. The chandelier threw a warm glow over everything, its crystal pieces reflecting a rainbow of sparkles all over the room. The room was otherwise unfurnished. In the centre of the room, a large seal-like diagram was etched into the floor. In the middle, a small figure knelt, fine white hair flowing wildly around her. She was attended by two pale women who started to attention when the man came in. There was also a young man of about 18, kneeling behind her.

The kneeling woman raised her eerie large red eyes to the man. In a child-like voice she said, "Sakurazukamori. Welcome"

"You wished to see me, Hinoto-hime." Sakurazuka Seishirou didn't bow as he answered, looking nonchalantly into that powder white face.

"Yes. I have been viewing a possible vision of the future. It appears there will be one who could disrupt our plans." She paused as if this was some significant revelation.

The young man behind her murmured as if on cue, "This must not be."

Seishirou felt indifferent. He thought to himself that if he had a thousand yen for every time she made a similar statement, he'd be able to buy that new Porsche. Fortunately his dark glasses revealed nothing of his thoughts to her and she appeared appeased by his apparent attention.

Hinoto moved slightly, and bells sewn into her obi chimed softly. "I am speaking of the one you know of as Sumeragi Subaru."

Behind his dark glasses, Seishirou's single gold eye flickered. Careful to school his face, he asked, "Oh? What is Subaru-kun trying to do now?"

"I cannot be certain of his actions. He has been crafty in setting barriers to my presence." Hinoto looked annoyed at being prevented from eavesdropping.

Seishirou was glad that at least there was someone around who was giving the disturbing woman before him a hard time.

"I think he will try to block our acquisition of the one I have seen. The One who reflects the will of god, Kamui!" Hinoto paused dramatically.

Again the young man behind her added his refrain, "The Chosen One who shall save us!"

Seishirou was beginning to get rather irritated with Daisuke. With incredible will power, he stopped himself from pulling everyone into a maboroshi and throwing rocks at them. Instead he stood there perfectly still without the slightest hint of expression on his face.

Realizing her audience was not going to be properly impressed, Hinoto continued, "I have sent my sister to adopt him."

"I do not think it will be a problem for Kanoe to get hold of him. Just make sure she dresses decently and the family services people will fall all over themselves giving him to her." Seishirou remarked dryly. "So what do you need me for? I don't think you want me to pose as her husband."

Hinoto appeared to see some humour in this, chimes ringing out as her body trembled slightly. "No, that shall not be your task. I have asked our faithful Yuuto to accompany Kanoe."

Seishirou raised a brow at this. He supposed it was better that Kigai Yuuto be the sacrificial lamb to Kanoe's attentions than himself.

"Your task will be to occupy the Sumeragi while Kanoe is bringing Kamui here. I foresee that he will try to stop her." Hinoto instructed.

"Do you wish me to kill him?"

"I shall leave that to your discretion."

Seishirou didn't like the gleam in Hinoto's eyes. He wondered if he ought to light up a cigarette just to blow smoke into her face. But at the last minute he decided against it, not wanting to give her the impression she was getting to him.

Then Hinoto looked up and said maliciously, "Do I sense some reluctance on your part at killing the Sumeragi clan head?"

Seishirou was disgusted but kept his calm facade in place. "No, I have no feelings what so ever concerning Sumeragi Subaru."

"But you two have had such a history," Hinoto taunted.

Again Seishirou restrained the urge to throttle her. "And it remains just that, history," he answered.

"If that is so, then there shall be no problems. The Promised Day shall come and we shall triumph." Hinoto sang as if this was a refrain she'd uttered often.

By her feet, Daisuke automatically chorused, "Yea, glory be."

Hinoto looked pleased.

Seishirou took that as a dismissal. He didn't even bother to bow to her. Instead he simply turned on his heel and strode out the door. Behind him he could feel her eyes boring into him as he left.

~~~~~

Notes: Well there you have it, Hinoto is the evil cult leader. She's the villianness in this fic, so all those who like her, too bad. I hope you enjoyed reading my efforts to poke fun at her. Isn't Sei-chan simply hilarious? I love him so much. I am sorry about Daisuke though, but just take it that he's been brainwashed into following that horrible woman.

Coming up... Subaru angsts about the past. And poor Kamui, will he have to call Kanoe "Mom"? Oh the horror.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A super-deformed Subaru runs out with Fuuma, Kamui, Yuki and Ran holding placards. They run around and rearrange themselves to form a word while shouting, "Omake, Omake, Omake!" Fireworks and confetti fall.

(Hinoto is kneeling on the floor, maliciously taunting Seishirou)

Hinoto: Do I sense some reluctance on your part at killing the Sumeragi clan head?

Seishirou (fury in his eyes): Hell yes! No way am I going to kill him before I get a chance to get into his pants!

Hinoto: I'm the evil cult leader. You have to follow my orders!

Seishirou: No way! I'm the Sakurazukamori! I am invincible!

Director Xandra (Taps finger on Seishirou's shoulder): Erm, sorry to burst your bubble there, but you're the first Angel to die in the CLAMP universe.

Seishirou (Claps hand to brow): What! Then I'm not going down without taking this old bag with me!

(Seishirou begins by slinging rocks and shikigami at Hinoto. Hinoto screams and her long hair starts sprouting tentacles. Ka-Boom! Everyone else is cowering in fear in a corner of the room.

The dust clears. Seishirou's rock misses by a mile. Hinoto's hair is stuck in the ground ten metres away. The two stand there wondering what happened.)

Director Xandra (sighs and holds head in hands): Seishirou, your depth perception sucks! Hinoto, you forgot you're blind!

Seishirou and Hinoto (together): Ooops!