Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled: A Leah Clearwater Story ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2
 
I slowly exited the room and backed into the den so I could fully assess this situation. I walked to the corner of the room and slumped to the floor, putting myself in the corner. I drew my knees up to my chest and rested my head on them debating whether to cry or scream. How could this happen? How could love's pain be attacking me again? I don't have quite enough strength for this.
 
“Wow!” said the voice by the door way exclaimed full of pity. I looked at Edward and growled the dude seriously had the worst timing out all the people/leeches/you get the drift. In my mind I begged him to leave me alone but he stepped inside the den.
 
“You know your life is more drama filled than half of the books I've read,” he said not laughing just stating the fact. I say nothing I don't even move, I am in too much pain to be crude, rude, or clever, and so I just sit there.
 
“Do you want me to get Jasper?” He asked knowing that Jasper could quickly change my mood, and I just happened to be more comfortable talking to Jasper, but I always thought that also had something to do with his “super power”, I smirk despite myself. I shook my head hoping that he would just go and leave my alone, I had a lot of things to think about, but at least I had made one decision.
 
“So that's what you have decided.” He said bluntly however his eyes looked a little shocked. I finally looked in his direction.
 
“What choice do I have?”
 
“This will cause you great pain”, Edward says as he sits on the floor in front of me, we had never actually been this close and we had never had a conversation about my personal/romantic life. “I know the pain and discomfort that Jacob experiences when he is away from Renesmee for an hour or two, what you are considering will hurt a thousand times more than your break up with Sam.”
 
“I know”, I whisper, “I want Nahuel to be happy . . .he is happy right now . . . I don't know if . . .” I pause deciding whether to finish my statement, but I do since I had already thought it, the secret was already known. “I don't know if I could make him as happy as Rennie could”.
 
“What about Jacob” Edward said tilting his hand slightly like my confusion and pain was important to him, weird.
 
“I guess he has a new battle to fight.” I frown slightly, if this were to come down to a physical fight, which man would I stand beside? My Alpha or My Imprint? Which bond was stronger?
 
“I don't know? I suppose we may see.” Edward frowned and left, leaving me alone with my thoughts, I guess he gotten bored or dizzy, my brain felt like it was going in circles trying to come up with a livable solution.
 
My decision was to keep Nahuel safe and yet keep my distance, to let him figure out his feelings on his own without the “Hey I am imprinted on you” speech. I figure my imprinting really isn't his business anyway, especially if I don't plan on interacting with him on that level, I have enough self-control to resist, or at least I think I do.
 
After I had made my decision I decided to go back to my room and lay low for the rest of the night so I could learn to better control my emotions where Nahuel was involved. I enter my room and there is Nessie sitting at my computer.
 
“Hey Ren” she turned and looked at me showing no emotion, she stood and reached to touch my face, and retaliation I grabbed her wrists.
 
“Just say it,” I almost growled, I was still peeved by her closeness to Nahuel, being able to cover that front would take time and a lot of patience on my part.
 
“I can't explain it right.” She whined and touched my cheek. I saw my face, how I went from looking dazed and taken by Nahuel to shock, hurt, and horrified; and then I left the room.
 
“What was that about?” she asked.
 
“Nothing”
That was most definitely something” she frowned. I looked at her with the blankest face I could muster.
 
“I was shocked by his appearance. I was expecting him to look all strange and awkward, but he doesn't go figure!” I walk to the bed and I start to have a seat.
 
“You want him?” she asks with a devilish grin.
 
I open my mouth to tell a lie, whether the answer was yes or no it would have been a lie, I wasn't sure about anything right at that moment. Just as I begin to speak Jasper comes to the door.
 
“Esme wants to know if you want and the guys want dinner.”
 
“Yeah” suddenly I was extremely famished.
 
“Actually, I'll help her cook.” Taking this opportunity to escape Ren's version of 2o questions. I walked out of my room; slightly upset I couldn't get any peace there. All of a sudden I feel peaceful, happy even.
 
“Edward said you were tense, but he made no mention to the fact that you were in pain?!” Then he smirks slightly “Well you were” I laugh a little.
 
“Jasper, you know you are my favorite vampire don't you?”
 
“That I know” he smiles “What I don't know is why you hurt so.”
 
There was a silence I had to do a lot of thinking before I spoke today; I'm not usually like that. I'm more of a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl.
 
“Well, old wounds are still trying to heal I guess.” Alluding to the fact that this had something to do with Sam. Hopefully my lie was believable.
 
“Heartbreak is one of the most painful emotions I have ever lay witness to. However what you were feeling seems much stronger than that.” He stops and examines my face for validity of his accusation; he frowns, realizing that he found what he was looking for - confirmation.
 
“Find me if you feel the need.” He leaves me in the kitchen with Bella and Esme.
 
“Steak or Chicken” Esme asks with a smile, her pink apron wrapped around her waist.
 
“Is that even a question?” I laugh “steak always . . .Medium rare.” I laugh at the joke my father and I once shared when my mother would ask how we like our steak we always said it in unison.
 
“Steak actually appeals to my taste buds also, but only if it is rare.” I don't turn to look at him but knowing he was so close, makes my body yearn to fill the gap between us; it feels like death to ignore that feeling.
 
“I'm sorry I forgot to ask you Nahuel, would you like dinner?”
 
“That would be lovely, thank you Esme”. My mother would love the manners on this guy, I laugh to myself.
 
I try to take a step forward, away from Nahuel, however the act in itself was torture. I fought the pain and slowly made my way to the kitchen sink to wash my hands.
 
“Can I help Esme?”
 
“Yes, Leah” she looked around, “you can prepare a couple of side dishes, whatever you and the boys like”
 
Esme loved having my pack and I here. She got to fulfill all the duties of a mother, and she couldn't get enough of it. I grabbed some corn and started separating it form the cob. I laughed to myself remembering Esme talk about the article she read that organic versus frozen foods.
 
“No more fake frozen food for my family. My Pack will be the strongest of them all.” She said like a proud mother. That was the first time she referred to us as “hers”. I think she shocked herself by the omission of this statement. I didn't like it back then, but now it doesn't suck (pun intended) I laugh again.
“Does the corn amuse you?” the voice asks, I instinctively look up and BAM (brick wall syndrome strikes again). I stared at my beautiful imprint; a guy can be beautiful right?
 
“If it does amuse you, how does it do so, I see no entertaining qualities.” He said lifting an ear of corn and frowning at it.
 
“Huh, oh I was just remembering something.”
 
“Sorry.” This time he held my eyes with his, like he was reading me. Why, who knows? “I didn't . . .mean to . . .” his train of thought just shut down, it must need to be repaired, I laughed quietly at my corny joke, finally breaking the hold Nahuel had managed to place on me.
 
He stared down at the corn in the bowl; he was frowning again studying the little yellow pebbles. I can't help but laugh at him. He eyes search mine again.
 
“You laugh at the most unexpected times.”
 
At this point I'm willing myself to speak. Nothing . . .I am speechless. He gets up from the table and bridges the gap between us. My heart wants me to thank him; at that moment it started doing back flips inside my chest. He grabs an ear of corn and starts helping me. This felt right him standing by my side. Every now and then his arm would accidentally brush against my arm and my heart would react a little.
 
“You are smiling again?' he said this time smiling back at me.
 
“Yeah. I guess I am.” I muttered
 
“You look best this way. No need to feel ashamed, you should be happy al . .”
 
Nessie entered the room and his focused shifted. He looked at her like she was something priceless that he needed to obtain.
 
“Nahuel” she said touching his shoulder, “I was wondering if you would help me with my Portuguese during your stay.”
 
“Of course.” He smiled at her “Your wish is my command, when do you wish to learn?”
 
“We could start tonight.”
 
Was it my imagination or was Rennie actually trying to flirt with him. What was her deal? I looked down at the corn and took a deep breath. I didn't realize Esme by my side or the tears trying to form, she touched my shoulder and I quickly excused myself to the porch.