Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled: A Leah Clearwater Story ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9
 
I have come to the conclusion that the fates have chosen the perfect person to be my imprint. I have never felt so in love in my entire life. He is so attentive. He is not over affectionate and he doesn't give me silly nicknames like Lee Lee. However, the way he looks at me and the way he touches me lets me know that we have a connection that cannot break.
 
“I can't believe you suckered Ms. Jordan into letting you sit in here,” I whispered to Nahuel, who was sitting in a chair in front of me doing absolutely nothing. However, his presence was driving me insane!!!
 
“I was bored. Plus, you know you entertain me” he smiled seductively, “Besides, Mr. Leland will not come looking for me.” He took his chair and pulled it closer to mine. I, in turn, moved my canvas so he couldn't see.”
 
“Why won't you let me watch you while you paint?” I shrugged. No excuse seemed like a good one. Painting seemed private to me in some way. It is something I do to let my emotions free. Lately, my paintings have become peaceful with a lot of blues and purples. Ms. Jordan has been pleased. I usually let Nahuel view my paintings when I am finished and that is how it will stay.
 
“I will show you when I'm finished.” I said brushing my hand against his face not realizing that I had orange paint on my hand. “Whoops” I said taking my smock and wiping his face, I made it worse, and I burst with laughter.
 
“Why do you have such a problem keeping the paint on the canvas?” he smiled as he grabbed me placing his cheek against mine.
 
“Nahuel!” I scream because now it was on me too! I went to the cupboard and got some paint remover.
 
“Orange looks good on you!” he said while laughing. I huff out a sigh; it was impossible for me to stay mad at him.
 
Shelly came into class late, she had told Mr. Cooper in English that she wasn't feeling well and had excused herself. She looked pale, the poor thing must really be sick. She had spoken less than two words to me all day. Anyone who knows Shelly knows that is not normal.
 
“You okay, Shell?” I asked trying my best to focus on her and not Nahuel's hand lingering in my hair. She nodded and said nothing. I went over and touched her on the shoulder. She drew away from me like it hurt her. I then noticed the faint bruise right at the nape of her neck.
 
“You are hurt,” I whispered, “Who did this?” My hand started shaking instantly. Who would hurt this (albeit annoying) girl?
 
“You know nothing, Leah.” She murmured, “Now, just get away from me!” Ms. Jordan looked up and addressed the situation. I left it alone for now. As soon as I went back to my station, Seth was at the window. We all noticed him there. I noticed Shelly's look of helplessness and frustration. I looked once again at Seth. He had better not have anything to do with this. He motioned for Nahuel and me to come into the hallway.
 
“What is wrong with Shelly?” he asked, “I went to hug her and she almost jumped out her skin.”
 
“Honestly, I was hoping that you knew.” I looked into the classroom and Shelly was intentionally not looking at us, “You know she has bruises?”
 
“No, I didn't” Seth said. His face stayed blank, but his eyes were angry, “Who would want to hurt Shelly?”
 
“I know . . . That's what I was trying to figure out.” We all stood silent trying to think of an explanation. We didn't know much about Shelly. She didn't seem to be accepted by many of the people in the school, however, no one ever seemed like they wanted to physically harm her. If the threat was not school related, then it must come from her home life.
 
“Well, there is only one way to find out.” I said and Seth grinned.
 
“Perfect, I'll find Jacob and let him know.”
 
“What are you planning?” Nahuel asked once Seth left.
 
“A little detective work,” I gave a devilish grin. If anyone was messing with Shelly, they were going to be sorry.
 
Once back in art class, I invited (forced) Nessie and myself over to Shelly's house that night. This was the first time Shelly had rode in my SUV.
 
“Oh my God! This is the nicest… I can't believe… Oh my God!” She flopped around in the backseat. Ren frowned at the way Shelly was behaving.
 
“Not everyone rides in Volvos and BMWs,” I whisper in tones low enough that Shelly wouldn't hear. Nessie's frown relaxed into a more understanding expression. I would need Nessie's eyes. She has a weird way of seeing things that I did not see.
 
When we pulled up to her house nothing seemed unusual. It was a quaint one-story house. It looked very similar to the houses that stood on either of its sides.
 
“My Uncle and Aunt won't be home for a while.” She said exiting the car. Nessie and I walked behind Shelly into the house. Nessie touched my arm and showed me what she had seen: how nervous and anxious Shelly seemed when we pulled into her driveway. I nodded to let Nessie know the message was received.
 
“So what do you think?” Shelly said smiled brightly.
 
“You have a very welcoming home, Shelly.” I said to disarm any insecurity she may have felt. The girl was extremely self-conscious.
 
“Well have a seat and I will find us a snack!” she sounded like her old self; maybe Seth and I were overreacting. Maybe she just fell out of bed or something. That's when he came home.
 
“Who the hell are you?” he bellowed as soon as he entered the room. Before we got the chance to answer, he yelled for Shelly. As he did this, Shelly dropped the plate she was carrying. It shattered into a million pieces, luckily she did not cut herself.
 
“Renesmee. Leah. This is my Uncle Keith.” She said. Then, she went back into the kitchen to try and pick up the plate's many pieces.
 
“What are they doing in my house?” He said through his teeth. I personally didn't know whether to find humor in this situation or to be brutally angry. On one hand, there was a good probability that he was the one smacking Shelly around and he thought that no one would find out. On the other hand, he was in a room with two monsters (the term is used loosely) that could rip him to shreds if he were ever to hit her again.
 
“I am sorry, sir, I was talking to Shelly after school. I caused her to miss her bus, so I offered her a ride home.” I said hoping to get her out of any hot water. Also, if this guy didn't lower his tone I was going to bite his head off literally.
 
“Hmm . . .” was all he said as he disappeared down the hall. We stayed for a while talking. Then, we got in the SUV ready to leave, or so it looked. As soon as Shelly went back into the house, I phased and joined Jacob and Seth.
 
“Try not to be out too late.” Nessie warned, “I don't know how long I will be able to cover for you.” I nodded once more and she drove off.
 
We stayed outside her house for three hours before the confirmation came from within the house. That man hit her and I was going to kill him!
 
No we can't do that! Jacob thought.
 
Then what do we do? We have to do something NOW!!
 
I could feel the hurt and anger rolling off of Seth. That answered one of my questions I meant to ask him. He did care for Shelly . . . a lot.
 
We all howled in unison breaking the man's concentration and a couple of his windows. He was lured outside. We quickly exited into the forest by the time he reached the invisible line where the forest started. He had exhausted himself and readily retreated back to his house. In the meantime, I had phased back and made a phone call. By the time the chubby man had reached his front door, Nessie and Bella were pulling into the driveway.