Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Fallen Star ❯ The blanket ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Charlie's POV
 
I drove down the familiar road to the house.  I was extremely tired and just wanted to catch the tail end of the game.  It had been a really slow day at the station today; actually it had been really slow all week.  The boys and I played nineteen rounds of poker.  And I won five of them.
 
Most of the talk around the station early was about the baseball game on tonight, Diamondback's vs. Yankee's.  I was so exited one reason was because I bet fifty bucks that the Yankees would win and I am pretty sure they will.  Another is because the two teams that are playing are our favorites.  Ours, meaning Be lla's and mine. 
 
Its kind of ironic that those two teams are rivals because the Yankees are my favorite team and the Diamondbacks are Bella's.  Not that she really watches the game its just she is from Arizona.  But now she barely sees anything.
 
Oh Bella! I don't think she well ever get over that Cullen kid.  I hate seeing her like this, her zombie state, as I like to call it.  Walking around as if she were dead.  Her eyes so drained of life, it feels as if I could drown in their depths every time I look into them, to get stuck and never get out.  I wonder if that's how she feels.  Stuck in a loop that never ends, a möbius loop, and the only twist driving her insane.  I have told her so many times that she should get out of here and live with Renee but she refuses.  I think she is holding onto the only twist, Edward.
 

I pulled up into the driveway and stepped outside the cruiser and was met with a gust of cold air that stimulated my senses.  I looked to sky and wasn't surprised at the clouds but how ominous and immense they were. “Bella better be here before the storm hits,” I said to myself as I hurried to open the door to the warm interior of the house.  I hung my vest and unloaded my gun before I took off my boots and walked to the living room.
 
Sitting in my favorite chair in the whole house I took the remote off the table and turned on channel 23.  I stood up to get a beer from the fridge seeing as it was a commercial break and when I opened the door rain started pouring down hard.  I grabbed a drink and sat down on the chair.  After two more local advertisements the game came on the screen.  The score was 15 to 11 in the ninth inning.  The Yankees are in the lead.  Ha!  Looks like Ernie owes me fifty bucks. Sucker.
 
The familiar drown of my daughters truck could be heard through the drops of the rain and the volume of the television.  After five minutes I began to worry not because Bella had not come in the house yet, but because of the feeling in the pit of my stomach that something has happened, or will happen.
 
Just before I stood up to go check on here outside a strange dark blue smoke surrounded something in the middle of the room.  Somewhere deep inside of me felt a strange familiarity towards the smoke. But how? I asked my self. The smoke cleared the room and in the center was Bella.  Oh no! Everything clicked. But it couldn't be, my sane self argued.  Oh My. Could this really be happening again?
 
“Char—dad um…” was all she was able to say before I interrupted her saying,
 
“OH MY GOD!!!” as my head fell back in the chair and a warm blackness engulfed me.
 
I was swimming in a sea of darkness when I saw what had happened eighteen years ago.
 
It was after our marriage, Renee's and mine.  We both wanted a child but Renee couldn't carry.  After she discovered this through painful miscarriages, she became depressed.  I decided to attempt to cheer her up so we went out to the forest for a walk.  We walked till we reached the end of the path and set out through the uncharted forest and with my sense of direction, got lost. 
 
After an hour of wondering decided to turn back, but directly in front of us was a bright light, it seemed that the rays shining through it were heavens call to move forward.
 
“Lets go check it out.” Renee said while pulling me along.  We came to the opening and went through the trees only to be met by a beautiful meadow, like the ones you only see painted by the most talented artist or heard in the most magical fairytales.   Strangely in this heaven on earth, as I call it, was a small object that a rich dark blue smoke seemed to be radiating from.
 
When the smoke cleared we both saw what was there,  “How precious!” Renee cried.  In the middle of the meadow, a child was wrapped in a dark blue blanket.  As we got closer we saw that there was an inscription in delicate lacy pink writing:
 
Isadora Macaria Neonato,
 
That must be her name.  A beautiful strange name for a beautifully strange baby.  After we found our way home with our little gift in our arms I went down to the station and found no records of there ever being an Isadora Macaria Neonato.  We decided, since she was left alone in the forest, that we would adopt her and raise her as our own but under a new name.  As far as anyone knows she is our daughter Isabella, child of the gods, is what it means.   Isabella Marie Swan is truly a child from the gods. 
 
“Dad, Dad. Wake Up!” I heard Bella yell franticly, I didn't respond, I was too wrapped up in my own flash back to even move. 
 
“Dad? If you can here me… Sorry!” Sorry? For what.  Then I felt a bucket of ice-cold water all over me.  When did she get that?
 
“What the…” I yelled fully conscious.
 
“I am so sorry dad, I just you—um—sorry?”  I heard Bella stutter seemingly nervous, I wonder why?  Oh could it be because--.
 
“Bella, Pleas tell me I imagined it and that I need to check my self into a hospital, but did you, by any chance appear out of thin air in a dark blue smoke?” I asked, thinking back at how crazy that just sounded.
 
“Um well, er, I don't know, maybe?  I don't even know how it happened, it just did.”
 
“Not again,” I sighed under my breath not able to stop my self before it left my mouth.  Before she could speak I had to change the subject fast.  “Isabella Marie Swan why are you soaking wet with a gash on your leg?” I asked. Hopefully fast=2 0enough.
 
“Darn it…” I heard her mumble under her breath, “Um its kind of a long story—“
 
“Well,” I interrupted.
 
“I kinda sorta jumpedoffaclifftokillmyselfbutdon'tworryitdidn'twork.” She said it in all one breath so fast that I really couldn't understand the first time.  I had to repeat in my head about three times before I realized what she just revealed.
 
“ISABELLA, jumping of a cliff, suicide, what were you thinking? NO. I'll tell you what you were thinking… NOTHING! Maybe the only thing in your head was Edward.  Just because he left gives you no right to through your life away.”  I new I hit a nerve because as soon as I said Edward's name she flinched in remembrance.
 
“Ye- Wait Huh? What do you mean `not again'?” she said also trying to change the subject.  I knew that with Bella's headstrong personality I would loose in the battle of secrets.  I just need to come out and say it.
 
“Well before I say anything… you're adopted.”
 
“WHAT!?” she screamed, “are you kidding me, what kind of sick joke is this? Adopted?”
 
I regretted revealing the truth but I couldn't stop now, “Well not really, more like found.”
 
“You do know what you said just makes absolutely no sense.” She stated.  I explained to her that we found her in our heaven on earth.  I watched her face as different emotions were flying across, one after the other, from confusion, to awe, to sadness and then curiosity.
 
“Where did you find me?” she asked quietly.
 
“A meadow in the forest.” I told her.  She nodded numbly and looked down, her face showed an emotion of depression.  The kind that made her so hollow, one that almost always showed when we talk about friends or the Cullen's.
 
“Come with me.” I said while taking her hand and pulling her up the stairs towards the attic.
 
“Where are we going?” she asked, her voice with a hint of wonder but clouded with depression. 
 
“I have something to show you.”
 
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0 o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0
 
Bella's POV
 
No it can't be.  The meadow? Our meadow? His meadow? No! That cannot be where I was born, or at least found!  When HE showed me the meadow it felt so welcomed so, I don't know, right like I was meant to be there.  Once we were in the attic, Charlie dropped my hand and went to the back corner of the attic, the deserted part where all of my child hood stuff was stored.  When Charlie came back he brought with him a old wooden box.  The kind that you would think treasure would be stored in. 
 
“What is it?” I asked only to get a smile on Charlie's face an a reply like “open it.” 
 
I blew of the thick sheet off dust that covered the top. I opened the top of the chest and that's when I saw it: a beautiful dark blue cloth that had the name Isadora Macaria Neonato on it in delicate pink cursive.  Tears started to well up in my eyes.  This was just too much.  From jumping off the cliff, to being saved by a dark blue smoke, then finding out that I am found in a meadow, possibly our meadow… I don't know how much more I could possibly take. 
 
Before I broke down right there in front of Charlie I have him a big hug and said “Thank you!” after that was over I heard a knock on the door.  I grabbed the blanked out of the box not wanting to let go of it as I hurriedly ran to the door, not wanting to trip.  I yelled out “Who is it?” w hen I was about ten feet from the door. 
 
In a voice I would recognize anywhere I heard  “It's…”
 
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0 o0o