Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Fallen Star ❯ Saved ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

As I took the step to plunge to my death, many things happened simultaneously.  First, I could hear a voice, not just a voice, Edward's voice, but nothing like I remember it.  It sounded strained and worried.  This voice whispered in my ear, "I love you, Bella.  I always have, and I always will."

My heart spluttered, though I was not sure if it was because of his talking, or my falling.  I also noticed the speed of my fall was seemingly slow.  Then just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, a film of my life flashed before my eyes.  The moments gone as fast as they came, but I understood everything.

First I saw my moms face when we said our goodbyes at the airport.  Charlie's expression when I thanked him for the car.  Then I saw the five Cullen's sitting at the table during lunch, as well as my first encounter with Edward in biology.  I saw the silver Volvo pulling up to save me in Port Angeles.  Edward in the sun.  James with the video camera in the ballet studio.  Edward in his tux at the prom.  Seven vampires watching my every move at my birthday party.  Then I finally saw Edward pulling away from me in the forest, where the beginning of the end of my life started.  When it was over everything went dim.

I figured that I was close to hitting the ocean, so I opened my eyes, which turned out to be a mistake of its own.  I saw the sea as black as the sky, looking so deep, like you'd never know when it would end.  The wind and water so strong showing me the mistake I've made by taking that one step.

Just seconds before I was to hit the surface of the water, I pulled myself into a ball, closed my eyes, and wished the sea was calmer.  All of a sudden it was deafeningly quiet then.

SPLASH

My body collided with the water and I felt myself sinking into its depths.  I uncurled myself and put my hand above my head and started kicking to what I thought was the top.  Finally after what felt like hours, I could feel my hands reach to where the water met the air.  I quickly lifted my head to take a breath and opened my eyes.  When I did, I was astonished to see the water was extremely calm.

"I could've sworn the water was wilder than this," I said to myself, "Maybe it was all my imagination."  I looked up to the sky wondering if what happened was true and to my utter amazement, the clouds were now as dark, if not darker than before.  I continued thinking about this as the rain started pouring down on my face.

Confusion washed over me as I looked for a place to swim.  I felt a sharp object pierce my lower leg.  I turned around only fast enough to notice that I was going to get pushed into the rock wall by the current that was much too strong for me to swim against.  As I was about to hit the jagged rocks, I found myself wishing that I could be back on the top of that cliff.  I was suddenly engulfed in a strange, dark blue, gaseous smoke, and I had no idea what was going on.

I cringed waiting for the inevitable impact that was soon to come, but it never did.  Instead the feeling of weightlessness took over.  I looked around only to find myself, once again, on top of the cliff looking out to the depressing waves of the ocean.  For the second time today, I felt like I was dreaming, but only parts of today could determine whether it was real or just my imagination.

One part was the rain, "It had not started raining till after I jumped," I reasoned with myself.  Another fact was the sharp searing pain on my lower leg from the impact upon the rocks down below.  Looking down at my leg was the last piece of evidence I needed to prove that today and everything I felt and witnessed was real.  My leg was covered in a sticky red liquid.  Until then, I hadn't noticed the smell of rust and salt, the reason I was about to faint.

I quickly started breathing through my mouth to make sure I wouldn't fall off the cliff again.  Deciding it was too dangerous to stay here anymore, I walked down slowly to my truck.

Before I knew it, I was in my truck with the key in the ignition and the heat blowing in my face.  Forgetting that I was soaking wet, I drove out of the deserted parking lot next to the familiar corner store and down the road back to my house.  Here was where the major thinking occurred.  Questions were running in and out of my head at a hundred miles per hour.

Questions like, what just happened?  How did the water get so calm?  How did I get back to the top of the cliff?  Should I tell anyone?  Would they think I am insane?  Well, I probably am.  What about Charlie?  Charlie!  How will I explain why I am so wet, with a gash on my leg?  How am I going to tell him?

Without realizing it, I was already in the driveway of my house, the police cruiser parked in front of me.  Where did the time go?  But the remaining question lingered in my mind.  How am I going to tell Charlie?

I wished there was a simple solution to this.  When all of a sudden, I was surrounded by that all to familiar dark blue smoke again.  Too scared to keep my eyes open, I closed them tight.

When I felt the ground beneath my feet and heard the game on TV come to an end, I decided to open my eyes, only to find Charlie's penetrating stare on my face, his mouth opened and his eyes bulging out of their sockets.

"Ch-dad um..." was all I could say before he cut me off.

"OH MY GOD." was all I heard from him before he fainted into his Lazy-boy recliner.