Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of Dust ❯ Concerning Dragons and Angels ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Heart of Dust
Chp. 2 Concerning Dragons and Angels
Rated: PG-13
**The Trick is to keep Breathing by Garbage
*** Muhammad My Friend by Tori Amos
Characters not mine just borrowing from various sources.
*************************************

"God Juri you look like crap," Dorothy said the minute the door swung open.

Juri just shook her head and let the door shut with a light thud, p erking an eyebrow when she noticed that Kyou was rubbing back and forth across Dorothy's legs. The goddess bent down to pet the orange tabby and quickly scratched his head, s tormy blue -grey eyes catching the brief smirk on Juri's face.

"So... ," Dorothy began as she stood up, "Would you like tell me why you didn't mention this in your last letter?"

The usually stoic angel shrugged sadly.

The platinum blonde really hated seeing her that way. Juri was never supposed to look defeated. Juri was a battling angel, intelligent, beautiful, and wise. As such, a mere little girl should no t have the power to topple her. Even those last weeks when Dorothy was arguing with her about everything... even then, when she was insulted and angry that their relationship couldn't work the goddess hated the scars she left her angel with. No one was allowed to make Juri hurt. She wanted nothing more than to expel her exacting revenge, but she knew very well her angel would never approve. With a sigh she stepped over to her friend and put an arm around her shoulders.

"How many hours h ave you been working this week," Dorothy asked as she walked Juri over to the living room.

"Too many," was the weary reply. "They need to hire more people."

"So you can be in charge of even more people who don't know the first thing about anything , " the goddess quipped. "I don't think that would help you much. A long vacation perhaps, some sleep and some time... That's what you need."

Both gracefully fell onto the couch. Secure that Juri was at least semi-sound Dorothy got up and padded over to the kitchen to procure some refreshments. Kyou was always a step or two behind her and somehow the goddess avoided stepping on him as she moved about.

"Maybe you should j ust adopt him," Juri said just loud enough to be heard. "I think he prefers your company."

Dorothy stepped out of the kitchen with two glasses of iced tea and shook her head, "Oh I think Kyou just misses me. If you left for a year he'd miss you too."

Juri took the glass that was offered and chuckled.

"At least you can still laugh."

"Wait until the nostalgia wears off."

A blonde eyebrow perked, "Juri."

"I didn't want to worry you," she said softly.

"Well now that you've failed-"

"And I was hoping Cathy would run into you and give you the scoop."

Dorothy sipped her tea and then put it down on the coffee table, "I've been back for two weeks and I haven't seen you around anywhere. I knew it was something-"

"And then fate handed her to you," Juri interrupted, "How was your date?" The bitterness was not easily hidden, nor was the obvious hurt.

"Not so good. She reminded me of someone and that was bad sign," Dorothy quickly confessed.

"I hate her you know," it was a controlled almost sob. Her hazel eyes bluer with the tears she wouldn't cry.

The goddess sighed, "What a stupid girl she must have been if she wanted you like this."
The night wore on slowly and piece by piece Juri offered up all the details of her shattered love life. And Dorothy listened with the knowledge that she would be the only one to ever hear the entire story. It made her angry and it made her sad but she kept a lock on her opinion. It wouldn't help or heal anything to put her twenty cents in. They had moved from the safety of the living room to Juri's slightly messy bedroom. After a few hours of further listening the dam broke and the battered angel wept. Dorothy held her until she settled. Pulling back to wipe the wet remains from Juri's face.
"Feel better?"
"No."
"Well it's a start love," the goddess remarked. "You should get some sleep. You don't have to work , do you?"
"I have today off," Juri whispered as she glanced at the clock.
"Well then I'll tuck you in and let you sleep."
Juri shook her head, "Would you mind staying?"
"Is that wise?"
"Well you did promise no funny stuff," Juri mentioned. "I think I can trust you."
Dorothy tried to keep her wolfish grin from taking complete hold, m entally scolding her self for even beginning a wicked thought at such a tim e, "I promise I'll behave myself."
*************************
**She's not the kind of girl
Who likes to tell the world
About th e way she feels about her self**
**************************

The Valerian was an interesting bar. It was too big to be quaint, but then it was the bar where , "No one knows your name". And however true or false that statement was the lax attitude of the establishment always made an evening out something of an event. There were pool tables and dartboards on an upper level. A pinball machine and a slew of tables, chairs and random nooks to hide away in on the lower level and then there was the bar which stretched out against the back wall, aptly named: The Tequila Mile. The owner of the Valerian was known to tell the tale of how and why the bar got its name, but the place was constantly buzzing with people and the chance of actually meeting the owner was slim.

On the upper level congregating around one of the pool tables were Duo, Cathy and a multitude of their friends.

On the lower level sitting at the bar and observing the crowd was possibly the most beautiful woman in the bar . Those that had been regulars at the Valerian for years recognized her immediately. Those that were new had yet to experience the awesome force of nature that she was, dark and seductive without needing to try, deep brown eyes that could penetrate the soul. Alabaster skin and ebony hair and the term 'wicked queen' could hardly suit her. She was the st uff of myth, a face that could launch a thousand ships or turn them all to stone. And yet with all her grandeur she did not stick out in the crowd. She was subtler than one would guess. She was the dragon lady. And after a short leave of absence she had returned, her purpose unknown.

She sat back against the bar assessing those around her, s miling slyly as she saw two familiar faces eyeing her from across the way. The eldest of the two made his way over casually, h is wolfish grin a natural play to his pretended princely manner.

"So what brings the dragon back to this part of town , " his voice naturally dripped with seduction.

She looked up into his eyes, waited a beat and then replied, "You really have to ask, Akio." She paused to glance over at his aband oned twin brother, "It's clear which of you the evil twin is ."

His chuckle was low, almost soothing. "He tries."

"Does he now?"

The Ohtori twins were easy to tell apart despite their similar chiseled features and silvery hair. Akio was the oldest obvious in his manner of speech and the way he carried himself, a businessman through and through and more vicious and spiteful than a snake if pushed too far. His brother on the other hand was more artistic and less intimidating. She had at one time or other enjoyed both though she would never confess whom she enjoyed more.

"Can I buy you a drink Kanoe?"

"Not tonight," she replied her focus drifting to the upper level where she caught a brief glimpse of a familiar face. "Tell me though What have I been missing?"

Akio looked around the room and then stated, "There's a new heart breaker in the land, but she's still too fragile to be taken seriously."

"So you could break her if you wanted to?"

"Anyone could if they tried hard enough, but she is rather deadly."

Kanoe looked surprised, "And how would you know?"

He scoffed, "Please a s if I would lower myself to something that easy... No , no her sting is just an observation."

"Hmm"

"Don't you want to know who it was?"

Perfectly manicured nails breezed through raven black hair , "Oh do tell?"

Something in his smirk was beyond cruel; "What will you reward me for telling you. Perhaps a slight fee would be in order."

"Maybe you should just tell me before I go and ask yo ur brother instead." She winked, "Seriously Akio how much damage could she have caused?"

"Not the damage Kanoe, the person is what will matter to you."

He was growing bored she could tell.

"Akio just tell me so I can get on with my life."

He let out a vague noise of irritation and began to walk away. As he did so he stated very clearly, "Juri."

For a long while she didn't do anything. She just sat and pretended to observe, and finally she sighed, "I'll have to meet this girl who can topple angels."

*********************
***Sweet
Sweet
Sweet
Used to be so sweet to me***
*********************

Dorothy always woke up first. It wasn't habit, just a natural occurrence that she could never really understand. She was still being held, although not as tightly. Juri's steady breathing warming her neck and reminding her of the old days. She had liked it then just as she liked it now. But it was all ruined and so the goddess slipped from the embrace without waking the auburn haired beauty. She brushed a stray curl from Juri's face and then stalked over to the kitchen. Kyou picked up his sleepy head as she went, unsure if he wanted to follow or continue to sleep. Sleep won out and he inched closer to his owner for warmth.

As was expected Cathy already had coffee and breakfast going in the kitchen. The red head did little to hide her disapproval. And the goddess really couldn't blame her for it. Dorothy poured herself some coffee and sat at the kitchen table. After a while she looked over at Cathy and decided it was best to have a conversation instead of sitting in uncomfortable silence.

"Cathy when I saw you the other day," Dorothy began, "why didn't you mention Shiori?"

"Honestly, I didn't think it was your business," she concentrated on the bacon she was frying. "Besides how was I supposed to know you'd end upwell"

She turned off the stove and set the bacon on a plate.

"Fine," Dorothy sipped her coffee adding quickly, "I didn't sleep with her."

Cathy looked over with a slight scowl.

"I didn't."

"Juri really doesn't need this."

"Cathy the last thing I want is to see her like that. I didn't sleep with Juri either. Despite what you may think I really do care about her."

With a deep sigh Cathy offered, "I know. I know and I believe that but last night was not fun. I mean running into you wouldn't have been so bad, but then Shiori was there. And Kozue was there with a large group of our friends. And thenwell"

"Well? What am I missing?"

"She didn't tell you?"

Dorothy shook her head.

"I don't know all the details or the full story Just the name and the fact that it made Duo worry. And Duo never worries."

The goddess' jaw dropped slightly as she whispered, "Kanoe. Well that explains it."

"What?"

"Nothing just", she considered how she wanted to approach the topic. "It's hard to battle with dragons when their very touch makes you feel."

To be continued.