Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of Dust ❯ When Just the Touch Makes You Feel ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Heart of Dust
Chp . 3: When Just the Touch Makes You Feel
Rated: PG-13
Characters aren't mine I'm just borrowing.
**Empty Hea rts
***Maybe
****It Wouldn't H ave Made Any Difference
>>Could Y ou Lie
All Songs by Alison Krauss from the Album Forget About It.
Poetry is mine
*******************

A few weeks passed with little incident, of course there wasn't room for much to happen since the summer break ended and Juri was once again caught in the pace of both school and work schedules. In the midst of it all she did manage to get out of the house occasionally. This was mostly due to Cathy and Dorothy whom refused to let the stoic angel brood for too long. Cathy had even made a point of running the dishwasher in the middle of Juri's showers. It didn't make her happy but it didn't make her angry either. Juri understood why her friends felt the need to keep her from sinking too deeply into her self. She ha d done it before and the fallout had n o t been pleasant. Her friends had also kept her from the Valerian opting for new bars and the movies as an alternative. The calm didn't last long though, and anyone who expected it to was no t paying attention.

Shiori smirked which wasn't surprising, "Hi Juri."

It was a playful singsong that did the trick of pulling the young woman, who was restocking canned green beans, up from her task. Hazel eyes regarded the near innocent gaze being directed at her and she offered a halfhearted wave. The violet-eyed girl was none too pleased with the reaction.

"You could at least say hello," Shiori chided obviously annoyed.

With a deep breath Juri stood to her full height, which was a staggering five foot seven that had a way of intimidating the masses. She sighed and then offered up a surprisingly sad, "Hello then. Is there something you need?"

"Haven't seen you around lately."

"Been busy," Juri re plied with obvious wear, adding, "And presently... I'm busy."

The girl looked over the handcart stacked with boxes and shrugged. Meanwhile, Juri heard the clamor of her subordinates' one aisle over eavesdropping.

"I was hoping I could talk to you for a minute," the girl offered sweetly.

"Well your hopes have been dashed."

The girl scowled, violet eyes narrowing in disgust, "You ' r e pathetic trying hide your obvious hurt."

"I'm not hiding my hurt," Juri corrected, hazel eyes a breath away from tears. "What could you possibly want to tell me that won't make me more miserable than I already am?"

Shiori seemed shocked by the question, but only for a moment. She smiled and got up on her tiptoes to whisper into Juri's ear. She stepped back with a graceless hop and made her way out of the store. It took every ounce of will power Juri had not to pound her fists through a row of canned pineapples. The soft murmurs coming from the next aisle over were swiftly brought to attention, and she made her annoyance clear.

"If those of you over by the cereal have so much free time I can think of at least twenty projects that need to be worked on."

There was a quick shuffle of feet followed by the sound of people attempting to look busy and one employee whistling nervously.

*********************
**Could be nothing
To what empty hearts must feel
Tell me what an empty heart must feel**
*********************

He was beginning to have a hard time holding onto the punching bag. His need to complain cut short by another barrage of hits followed by a few grunts and string of swift left handed jabs. He knew it was safe when all he heard from the other side was panting. Duo poked his head around, his smile grimily fading at the sight of the over exerted young woman.

"I-I'm... not done yet , " Juri said between gasps for air. Sweat was dripping down her face stinging at her eyes.

Duo shook his head, "Oh no you are done missy. Wanna tell me exactly what happened?"

The seething angel grit ted her teeth and huffed, "I want you to get back behind that punching bag. That's what I want."

Before Duo could respond in the negative again a gruff voice intruded, "Kid I think you should listen to your friend."

It was Jet the gym's manager.

He looked Juri over and then added, "I can make you take it easy you know."

He nearly sprang back in terror from the look he received.

"Well if she does n't want to rest," another voice intruded, "I'll let her get in the ring with me."

Jet twitched slightly as the gangly boxer stepped closer.

"What do you say," the boxer prodded nudging Juri with his elbow. "You want to fight? Show me what you got."

The grin on Juri's face could only be described as lionish. She looked like she was only seconds away from catching up to the poachers who dared intruded on her pride. With a nod she walked off towards the boxing ring. Jet and Duo looked over the boxer with a vexed expression to which the boxer merely smiled casually.

"Look old man this is your establishment and I don't wanna cause any trouble , " Duo began, "b ut you aren't going to let that guy get in the ring with her are you?"

Jet shook his head; "It's been decided kid. She has a lot of pride and obvious ly a tremendous amount of honor, l ooks to me like she needs to prove something."

"If anything happens to her-"

"Spike is a professional kid," Jet interrupted. "He won't get in that ring unless she's properly protected but he won't take it easy on her either."

Duo was utterly defeated.

"Cathy's gonna kill me , " he muttered as he made way to the ring with the others.

*************************
***Spinning inside my head
Every word (she) ever said
Maybe I can stand-alone
Maybe I'm strong as stone***
************************

The fight didn't last long. Jet was true to his word and Spike didn't hold any punches , no t that Juri didn't manage to make a few good blows before the wind was knocked out of her and she was sent flying onto her back. Duo nearly fainted. She lay on the mat staring up at the ceiling and taking in quick breaths. The boxer rushed over to check on her.

"You okay?"

He was answered by a swift punch to the face. He rubbed the impending bruise with his gloved hand.

"Guess that would be a yes?"

He helped her off the floor removed his gloves and held out his hand. She reluctantly threw off a glove and accepted the handshake. He smiled and she shook her head.

"You look familiar," Spike said as he stepped out of the ring.

Auburn locks swayed as she released the sweat soaked curls loose from their ponytail. She smirked, "Olympic trials."

He raised an eyebrow; "Hmph I should have known it was you when you jumped into the ring Arisugawa."

"Maybe it was a while ago." She sniffed and looked over at Duo who appeared to be hyperventilating. She made a sound that was nearly a laugh.

"Feel better," h e leaned against the ring, slouching slightly.

"No."

Spike shrugged, "Well that's a start. See you around bean pole."

He walked off towards the showers.

Juri collected Duo and assured him she was still in one piece, just... bruised.

He collected himself enough to ask, "So who is he exactly ?"

"Spike Spiegel, b oxer and royal pain in the ass," she replied with a small smile. "Long ago in my senior year of high school I ran into him when I was in the Olympic fencing trials. I hit on his girlfriend."

The impish youth let out a boisterous laugh, "No wonder he wanted to box you."

"He's just returning a favor," she corrected. She looked lost in the memory, "Just returning a favor"

***********************
****But it wouldn't have made any difference
If you loved me
How could you love me****
***********************

She had the entire day off. After her little encounter at work her boss quickly gave her a few days to collect herself, or at least calm down. Juri took the time with little complaint but after her boxing match she wondered what she would do with herself. Cathy and Duo had left for an evening alone and Dorothy was out of town taking care of some business. Left to her own devises the ego-bruised young woman went in search of a place to have a good time, or at least a place that was safe from further encounters with Shiori.

She found her escape in the form of a cabaret style club called Kero Neko; a sign out front announced that amateur night was every Tuesday no audition needed. Thankfully it was a Wednesday and no one she knew was accompanying her. Cathy had a way of talking her into doing things like karaoke nights and amateur nights. Her voice, she always thought fair, but her room mate thought differently. Saved from the threat of having to perform Juri stepped inside and took a seat at the bar.

She nursed her cocktail for about an hour happily avoiding any advances from unwanted parties. Unfortunately her luck didn't last as a sober voice broke through her thoughts.

"Excuse me miss but I noticed your sad expression."

Juri shook her head as she turned to face the person hitting on her and perked and eyebrow at the overly tall blonde with spiky hair and red trench coat. She sighed.

"I can see it in your eyes," he said placing a hand on her shoulder. "You need someone to take your hurt away."

"Look," she began steadily, "I'm fine."

He shook his head and began some overly romantic and sappy speech that just didn't seem to want to end. Juri closed her eyes and shook her head, messaging her eyelids lightly in irritation and defeat. Finally he got t o a question. She glared at him and then catching the bartender's eye made a soundless plea for help. The bartender merely shrugged as she smiled and chewed on the straw hanging from her mouth. Juri finally gave up.

"Look mister?"

" You can call me Vash fair lady," he said earnestly blue eyes sparking with hope.

Juri nearly lost her lunch, "Listen Vash, I'm gonna be very , very frank with you. Are you listening?"

"Of course," h e seemed excited.

"I am not interested in anything you have to offer," she stated flatly.

"So what are you saying?"

The bartender finally decided to lend a hand, "She's saying to go find another fair maiden to drool over Vash."

He didn't get the message all too clearly, and Juri had just about enough of the idiot.

"Look Vash I'm not interested in guys. I li-"

"But I can offer y ou something other men haven't," he chimed in.

Her fist clenched she was about give him a good sock in the mouth when the bartender reached across and pulled Juri in for an unexpected kiss. Vash blinked in an obvious state of shock. Juri did the same when she was finally released a delightful shade of pink gliding across her cheeks. The blonde young man slowly got the picture and hung his head in defeat.

"Man she was sooo cute. How come Gasco always has dibs," he muttered as he slunk towards a far off table.

The bartender quirked an eyebrow, "It's Gasconge not 'Gasco'."

She turned her attention to Juri who was still recovering.

"Sorry about that, Vash has trouble getting anything through his thick skull. A nice kid but dense. He needs visuals sometimes to send the message home."

"Uh thank you?"

"Pleasure was all mine," the bartender winked and went about her business.

**********************
>>Go on and lie I've heard it all before
You had no shame
This p ain I feel you've never known<<
**********************

The night wore on at a steady pace. She watched in vague amusement as Vash attempted to woo several other young ladies before giving up and getting completely drunk . He was sitting on a table with another young man singing show tunes off key and in a merry manner. The in house pianist shook his head and tried to keep up with them. Juri received a free drink when she pronounced the bartender's name correctly and another wink that made her blush.

Finally tiring of show tunes and Vash's voice Juri got some courage and asked the shy pianist if he could play something that perhaps the spiky haired young man and his friend (whose name she learned was Wolfwood) did no t know the words too.

"Well like what , " the pianist asked.

"Do you know anything by The Seatbelts," Juri replied. Receiving a nod she continued, "Alright then make me blue."

The shy youth smiled knowingly and began to play. Juri returned to her seat at the bar grinning slightly at the silence from Vash's table. With a deep breath she finished off her drink and shut her eyes. It was nice to be somewhere new with no threat of the past to intrude upon her, but as it was, that was n o t exactly the case.

She froze when she felt the hand slide up her shoulder. The bartender would no t be able to save her from this. In her peripheral the young woman saw the elegantly manicured nails and of course there was that scent of jasmine she'd never be able to forget as long as she lived.

"Can I maybe, buy you a drink , " the woman purred neatly.

"I'm passed my limit , " Juri replied fighting her urge to spin around and face the dragon behind her.

"I can get you a ride home."

"No. I'm fine I'll sober up in a fe-"

She fell silent as the hand on her shoulder worked its way to her neck. There had been a knot there since she had left the gym.

"Please don't."

"I hear you're having a hard time , " the woman said keeping up her work and then suddenly ceasing.

"You aren't making anything easier."

The woman slid a little closer; "She hurt you so bad you had to run from her."

Juri tensed at the comment; "Does it matter?"

"It's not allowed. Ang els aren't supposed to be hurt," she whispered, a seductive lilt to her tone.

"That's not true," Juri felt a sob get stuck in her throat. "You hurt me."

The woman's lips were almost too close sending chills through the captured beauty, "But you knew I would."

************************
And a creature called Lust
Will never have enough
As it takes what it will for the moment
As it let's you believe for the moment
************************

Somehow Juri knew the bartender was watching the exchange with protective interest. She made a motion for her tab and Gasconge hurr iedly swooped in with the cheek, g laring at the dragon that was still neatly perched behind Juri's chair. The woman beat the angel to the bill.

"Kanoe don'tplease."

"Too late."

And it was.

To be continued.