Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of Dust ❯ Cogitative Reflections ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Heart of Dust

Chp. 14 Cogitative Reflections

Rated: PG-13

**Barracuda

***These Dreams

All songs by Heart

Characters are not mine I'm just borrowing.

************************

Trieze Kushrenada exited his office with the bold demeanor of a prince greeting his court. A grin tugged at the corner of his mouth at the very sight of the two women quietly speaking to each other over the calm of an obsidian shaped and colored desk. He watched the conversation grow in intensity; building with sways of anger but always…Always polite and civilized, soft. They were enemies, the two women, and they were also his favorite employees.

Regarding them a moment longer he realized that they were in fact negative images of each other, so alike they had to be different. He plucked two roses from a decorative table near his office door and cleared his throat, making his presence known and causing whatever argumentative discussion was taking place to cease.

Trieze laid each of the roses near the women's hands and smiled, "Ladies."

Both women looked over the simple gift and grinned. He reserved his chuckle at the similarities between the women's silent thanks.

"You have three meetings back to back starting after lunch," his secretary said solidly. Her dark eyes studying his features while her perfectly manicured nails drummed once on the desk. She added, "Thank you for the rose." And placed it gently near the flat screen monitor that rested to her right.

"I hope one of those meetings is concerning our latest project," this was the other woman, a V.P., icy, sometimes dark blue, eyes coldly assessing both gifts and the variance in color. Her rose was a shade of red just a touch darker than that of the secretary's. She curled her fingers around the trifle and waited for an answer.

He was amused by the reactions, astounded by the gratitude (though he kept it to himself) and the knowing glances of both women. They were so intelligent and beneath both of their more obvious beauties was a fire of destruction he never wished to see aimed in the wrong direction. Trieze had stolen both of them from his competitors because he knew that within each was the drive to see the dreams of his corporation come to life. And while he admired both there was only one he really trusted.

"I have not forgotten about any of the meetings that are scheduled for today," Trieze stated. He looked over at his secretary, "Kanoe, is Ms. Asuka's meeting one of the many I am scheduled to attend?"

"Of course it is."

Trieze looked over at the other woman, "You see, Asuka nothing to worry about." He paused briefly, knowing what he was going to say next would not be taken well by either in his presence, "Actually if both of you have free time would you mind joining me for lunch. I've something I'd like to suggest."

Kanoe and Asuka both nodded in acceptance and then their eyes met narrowing in brief malcontent.

"Excellent," Trieze said. "Let's take separate cars so I can make it back for my meetings in time. Asuka," he grinned, "Why don't you travel with Kanoe?"

"Certainly."

*********************

**Smile like the sun

Kisses for everyone

And tales it never fails**

*********************

The lunch was simple and without incident. Trieze had arrived first and ordered for everyone, perfect in his choices for each and still quite taken with the subtleties between the two women. He wanted to (in many ways) place each on a scale because he was sure that in the end they would come out even.

He tried not to form a list in his head but he had something in mind for both and he wanted to take the time to see if it would actually work.

There was Asuka. And there was Kanoe.

Both had long hair. Asuka was a blonde. Kanoe was a brunette.

Both wore black and red, Asuka in black slacks, a red blouse and black jacket, Kanoe in a black jacket, red blouse and a black skirt.

Asuka's eyes were blue with a hint of smoked ice. Kanoe's eyes were brown with a touch of fire.

Trieze took a sip from his glass of water as he realized that so far his comparisons were merely the surface contents. He engaged in conversation that dipped from office work to the trivial.

Both of their voices had presence. They spoke when there was a need, and whether it was a need to convey a message or need for information was inconsequential.

Both got their jobs done and very effectively.

Both were rumored to be the worst kind of heart breakers. He often wondered where and when the rumors started, not that those rumors affected his decision. It was just that both should carry like rumors was intriguing

And he had witnessed both, at one time or other, destroy with just a simple phrase, a glance, or smile.

The check came and he quickly paid it.

Equals…yes he could see that they were indeed very equal, but they were enemies and it was a shame. He was not about to bridge the gap because, still, there was one he trusted more. But for what he had planned his trust was not nominal… their equal power was what he needed. It was what he would use.

"I suppose you both know I'm planning to start a new subsidiary," Trieze said.

They nodded, or rather, they half nodded.

He continued, "I would like you two to pair up and do some research for me. The specifics I'll present to each of you formally. It will be a phenomenal project, what do you say?"

"Trieze-"

"Don't object until you've heard all the details. Would you at least consider it?"

They both nodded again and he thanked them quickly before darting off to the first of his after lunch meetings.

*******************************

**You lying' so low in the weeds

I bet you're gonna ambush me

You'd have me down, down,

Down on my knees

No wouldn't you**

******************************

After Trieze's departure there was little to do but silently move from the table to the car, and drive back to the office. Once there, safe in the confines of their corporate positions, things became more settled, but still… hushed. They dared not speak to each other; anything they could say would and could be used as artillery. But the dam had to break. The two women could not continue to linger in the quiet of burning glares and unspoken animosity.

Asuka curled her fingers around the trifle Trieze had presented her. It was still sitting on Kanoe's desk. She lifted it to her nose, took in the scent and then ceremonially tossed it into the trashcan by Kanoe's desk.

"Do you think," Kanoe asked, "that he means for us to make amends on this project?"

"Doubtful."

"Good."

"What," Asuka's eyes were fixed and cold.

Kanoe smirked and brushed her hair back. "I was just happy that we were on the same page."

"Same page perhaps but different paragraphs, as always."

"Indeed."

It was hard to pinpoint what it was that made them enemies. It seemed as if it could have been anything as petty as a job title but it was deeper. Neither Kanoe nor Asuka would waste time nor energy on someone with whom there was no connection, but the exact connection was not immediately evident.

Kanoe found more than she would have liked in the chill of Asuka's heavy gaze. The blonde new something, had an advantage, and it was possibly the knowledge of a weakness. The dragon had very few, largely over looked, but there nonetheless.

"Still creating beasts," Kanoe asked lightly, knowingly, setting the ground for battle.

"Off and on." Asuka looked at Kanoe harshly, "I'd rather not start anything just before a major project Kanoe."

"I was asking out curiosity, but as you have mentioned preferences I'd just as soon get everything out of the way before we actually have to work…too closely together."

"I see. I'm not inclined to give way to such a request."

"You never were, but then you have a problem relinquishing your control."

Asuka sneered, "I look forward to seeing you more often Kanoe, it will give us a chance to know each other better."

The dragon grinned and tried not to lick her lips, "But Lan we already know each other so much better than we ought to. If anything working together will just help to settle things for good."

"A threat?"

"Never."

"Of course. Have a good day Kanoe, I'm sure I'll speak with you again soon," Lan Asuka turned to leave and just before the door shut completely she said, "Feel free to give my deepest regards to your sister. I hope she is well."

Kanoe did not let the fire she felt building erupt onto her features. She just focused on the facts. Asuka was well armed and she did not spare any chances to use her weaponry. The blonde held two powerful cards in her hands, though she mentioned only one, and Kanoe was aware that it would only be a matter of time before the icy blonde revealed the second and used it for all it was worth.

It was a battle not a game. It was all about control. It had nothing to do with the office or office politics. This was personal and it needed to be settled… quickly.

***************************

***In a wood full of princes

Freedom is a kiss

But the prince hides his face

From dreams in the mist***

***************************

They had spent the entire afternoon talking, strolling from The Valerian to a near by park. Neither had ever spent so much time in a conversation before, because both were built for listening. Juri suspected, though, that the other woman was far more adept at speaking than she would admit too, but it didn't matter. It was nice to have the chance to expel words that always seemed to catch in her throat.

The auburn haired beauty took a sip from her melting iced chai, raising an eyebrow at the comment that just left her companion's lips. "I didn't know that."

"Not many do," was the reply.

Juri stopped and looked at the woman in slight perplexity, "Une, why are you telling me all of this?"

The lady smiled, soft and sincere, "Because she is yet undecided and I wanted to know how you felt."

"But-"

"And because that is the one thing that will make her lose her temper…Really lose her temper." Une released a long breath and then said, "You've seen her set. You've seen her fixed, but I highly doubt you've ever seen her angry."

"I didn't think there was anyone stupid enough to try and make her angry."

The lady smiled but there was something in her expression that was pained. A memory perhaps of one whom would gladly insight a dragon's rage a recollection of the two things that made Kanoe weak and exceedingly susceptible to harm.

"Do you think she'll actually make a choice," Une asked.

"And settle?"

The lady laughed, "No, not to settle…she won't settle."

"I think," Juri smirked. "I think she may have already chosen."

"Oh?"

The angelic panther nodded.

"Who is it then?"

Juri shrugged, "I guess it'll be whomever she continues to call on."

The lady shook her head and then her cell phone rang. She raised her eyebrows and looked over the top of her glasses as she muttered, "Sometimes your insight is frighteningly correct Juri Arisugawa."

To be continued….