Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ A Long While to Wait ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: A Long While to Wait

Rating: PG-13

Utena: Does not belong to me. Just borrowing...again...please don't sue I no longer have any money.

Spoilers: Juri sequel to my fan fic "Reaching the End." Very slight follow up to "Softer Than the Cruel" and "Break Me".

Time period:15 years after the series end.

Poetry: mine all mine... ask if you want to borrow.

Read. Write a review if you like.

***************************************

It was a rather overly quaint little Irish style pub, but it suited the two for the moment. They sat in a far corner, away from the noise of the jukebox and the continuous clacking of the billiard tables. An interesting pair no matter the situation they quietly chatted over a few pints of lager. He was the junior of the pair, and it was obvious in the way he smiled and occasionally blushed at what she had to say. His light blue hair seemed a little darker in the dim light and his deep blue eyes were easily lost in the shadowy effects made by the small hanging lamp that was over the table. He laughed almost uncontrollably out loud at some brilliantly sarcastic comment the woman across from him made and then looked around almost embarrassed for being so loud. No one else around them seemed to notice his outburst.

"Thank you for having a drink with me," he said with a shy smile.

She sort of half raised her eyebrows and smiled slightly. It was always difficult to tell what she was thinking at any one moment but for brief periods he knew everything that was going through her mind just by the look in her eyes. She took a light sip of her drink and her eyes wandered to the jukebox as a familiar song began to play. She put the drink down a breath away from chuckling.

"Why are you so surprised I said yes to having a drink with you," she asked in a tone that was half-serious and half laughing at her situation.

He shrugged. "To tell the truth I'm surprised when you do me a favor of any kind. I mean you've always been so…," he struggled for a word that would not offend.

She beat him to it, "Distant?"

"A bit yes, or just rather private so I never know if what I'm asking is right or…even…"

"Appropriate?"

"Exactly!" He sighed as the song on the jukebox began to end and another familiar song began to play. He tried not to laugh. "Is it just me or is it really weird that they keep playing my music?"

"I'm not sure…but I'm finding it rather unsettling hearing my voice from across the room," she replied with a smile.

There was a numbed silence and then with a soft sigh he said, "I'm glad you decided to sing on my album Miss Juri."

She huffed and folded her arms across her chest. "Well," she began, "you are the only one who will ever know that I sang on any of your albums." Hazel eyes then sighed with some irritation, "And really Miki…you don't have to keep calling me `Miss' Juri. I mean we've known each other for a very long time."

"I suppose you are right I guess…I guess I'm always afraid I'm going to over step my bounds with you."

"Hmm, I suppose I'm a little hard to approach sometimes," she said flatly and then she smiled over at the young man across from her slyly. She took another sip from her lager. "So why didn't you think I would help you out on this album? I mean you seemed rather hesitant when you asked me."

He looked away briefly and then with a light shrug confessed, "Well… it wasn't the album so much as the song that worried me. I was a little worried the lyrics would…uh…well…"

She sat back and folded her arms behind her head. "You were afraid the lyrics might remind me of something." She looked at him sharply. "Or someone?"

"Um…well, yes actually."

"I see."

He was getting nervous she could tell. He took a large gulp from his drink and smiled with worry at her silence.

"Miki?"

"Yes Juri?"

"You shouldn't worry about that anymore," she said nearly commanding.

He sighed in relief and then finding the need to switch gears muttered, "My sister says hello by the way."

A smile grew on her face. "Really, how is she doing?"

"She's great. I finally got her to play a duet with me on the new album," he said. "It's a shame things never worked out for you two."

The minute he said it, he regretted it. His hand flew over his mouth and his heart raced at the supposed faux pas.

"You're really bad at this aren't you," she asked with a toothy grin eyes slightly narrowed. "Oh well... I suppose a good brother and friend like you was bound to have noticed a thing like that."

He started to relax. He hadn't meant to bring it up, but it had been a comment that had been sitting on his lips for years. Finding it safe to smile he did so. The conversation resumed a more relaxed feel as the night went on. Miki watched in amazement as Juri managed to nurse an entire pint of lager for another three hours. He took it upon himself to drink quite a few more. Upon observing that Miki was nicely intoxicated she rose from her seat to walk him home.

On the way out the bartender shouted, "You take care of him miss. He's the only celebrity who comes into this place."

"Don't worry he'll be fine," she replied with an uncharacteristic chuckle.

It was a long slow walk. The cold air did Miki some good and some bad as he suddenly realized just how much he had had to drink. It was a trial but Juri found a way to usher her friend up the steps to his house without throwing out her back. She tapped on the door lightly hoping a maid or a butler of some sort would be awake. He was singing to himself as he leaned in the doorway. She kept him from falling flat on his face when the door slowly began to open. He failed at stifling a drunken giggle. The stoic angel rolled her eyes in irritation as she helped him inside, not even noticing who opened the door. He fell limply into a chair upon reaching the living room.

"What did you do to my brother," a voice from behind asked almost laughing.

Hazel eyes that were washing a lighter shade of green met with a familiar smile. "We were celebrating the completion of his new album."

"I see. Well I don't think you celebrated enough," was the reply.

She tried to contain her smile. "Well I did warn him."

"Did you?"

"Yes... Please see that he makes it into his bed eventually," Juri said ready to leave.

"I will…You're in an awful hurry to get home."

"Perhaps," she was trying to remain her quiet stoic self.

The young woman near her smirked, "Go home and get some rest then Juri, and I'll see you around."

As the door closed the knightly woman lingered on the tone of Kozue's voice. It reminded her of high school and she wondered why. She could understand it sometimes, the pull of regret, understood it to a point only because she had held on to one for so long.

She walked back towards the pub humming the little nonsensical song Miki had created in his drunken state. The little things she did when no one else was around were the things that saved her sometimes. And sometimes her biggest saving graces came from her friends. Miki Kaoru was a famous musician with five best selling albums and seven top forty singles and all of them were sung by an anonymous vocalist She enjoyed having that kind of secret from the rest of the world. Who would ever expect that a stunt choreographer was the most popular voice in the world?

Her car came into view, a tiny black convertible that seemed appropriate for her. She was about to unlock her car when she noticed a small commotion in an ally near by. There was a muffled scream that caught her ear and made her run towards the ally. Her noble heart was only half prepared for the scene that met her, as two brutish men were preparing to beat the life out of a young girl.

Juri clenched her fists and looked at her left hand. A rose seal ring inlaid with amber caught the fading light of the moon and she loosened her fists. She stepped forward and cleared her throat loud enough to be heard. The men turned around, the bigger of the two still holding a large hand over the girl's mouth.

"What do you want," one of the two asked. He followed his question with a string of unrepeatable insults.

She raised an eyebrow and walked forward. It was amusing when foes tried to use petty catcalls to intimidate. The two brutes were both shouting now. She dismissed them easily keeping eye contact with their intended victim. It was important for Juri to let the girl know, if only with a glance, that everything was going to be all right. Bored with trying to just threaten the intruder one of the muscular thugs stepped forward. Before he could even think of throwing a punch the beautiful panther had him lying face down on the ground with his arms pinned behind his back.

"Now then," she asked softly. "Are you going to be good?"

He struggled against her and she shrugged.

"I guess that would be a no."

With her free hand she pushed the thug's head into the ground as hard as she could. He went limp and she turned him over. He was still breathing but he wouldn't wake up for a while. She looked over at the other who had his bulky hand over the girl's throat. He was ready to squeeze. He made some rather annoying comments that she ignored as well. She clenched her fists and stepped towards him.

"It would be wise sir," she stated, "if you let her go."

"Or what? Step an inch closer and I'll snap her neck like a twig," he shouted.

She saw the terror in the girl's eyes and waited for a moment. She half shut her eyes trying to decide her options. Only one really came to mind so Juri held out her left hand and spoke just below a whisper, "So that darkness may never destroy the light." A light formed around her hand that was a soft pale orange. "I call for this…" Within the light a silhouette of a sword was forming. "The sword of the Knights of the Rose."

Safe in her hands was the sword that was hers alone; Spanish in make with a brass handle. She held it lightly and waited.

"You'll kill this girl if you even try," was the limp threat that escaped the man's lips.

She slipped the sword into her right hand and inched forward. He did nothing. He didn't even move. She charged him and instead of carrying out his threat he shoved the girl forward so he could run. Juri caught the girl in her arm and gracefully set her down. Juri caught up with the brute quickly and clocked him on the side of his head with the sword's handle. He fell to the ground limply. The sword disappeared from her hand and she shook her head.

"I told you… you should have let her go."

The beautiful panther stealthily rushed to the girl's side and helped her up. The girl began to sob and Juri held her for a moment or two. She walked her over to a well-lit area and waited for the girl to get her bearing.

"I think I'll call the police now if you wouldn't mind releasing my waist for a moment," Juri said softly.

The girl let her go and followed her to the elegant black convertible. She pulled out her cell phone, which she usually found a bit detestable and called emergency services. The police arrived and were almost happy to see the two brutes lying unconscious. They took statements and politely reminded the knightly woman to stay in town "just in case". Before she left for the evening Juri walked over to the girl and handed her an orange rose.

The girl smiled and whispered, "Who are you?"

Juri just winked and drove off in her car. She tried to keep things in perspective. No one would remember that she was there, save the girl and the thugs. The girl would say only that a knight suddenly appeared and saved her, and she would leave the story at that. Juri turned on her radio and was relieved she had the power to save those in need.

Whisper

I am a whisper in you heart

Whisper

I play their game I do my part

I whisper

Whisper to you

Whisper

I am a whisper

And you'll never know just how soft I am

Oh and you'll never truly understand

Why I ride high on this tide

Or why from you I'll always hide

Oh whisper

I am a whisper deep inside you

Whisper

You don't know what to do

'Cos I'm a whisper

A whisper deep in your heart

I play my part

You have your angels by your side

What will you do when they start to fly

And you have your heart

But can it out last the dark

As the echoes choose your destiny

What's left of you to see

You can't hide from me

No you can't hide from me

I'm your whisper

Whisper

I am a whisper in you heart

Whisper

I play their game I do my part

I whisper

Whisper to you

Whisper

I am a whisper

Whisper

I will whisper

Whisper

I am your whisper

The warmth of the summer sun felt nice, as a cool breeze began to wrap around the park. She was sitting with her eyes half closed, arms folded around her waist, on a park bench beneath a giant willow tree. There was a small pond in the distance that reminded her of something from the old Ohtori Academy. She frowned at the thought of high school. She found very few pleasant memories there. Or at least the memories that remained the most brilliant in her mind were ones of duels and lost souls.

She shook off the thought and tried to focus on all the good things that were happening in her life. Miki's album was at the number one spot on the charts, and the song `Fallen Angel' was being sung by nearly everyone who owned a radio. She sighed and opened her eyes a bit more. Casually glancing at her watch she noted that she had to meet Kozue for dinner at six. She wasn't sure if she wanted to go. She wasn't feeling particularly social, and besides Kozue just wanted to met so she could fill Juri in on all the recent gossip. It was possible she could just cancel, but for the first time in ages she couldn't think of a decent excuse. She tried not to worry about it.

The light from the sun was catching on her ring and it gave her some comfort. Ready to drift off into her thoughts she closed her eyes again, but just as she did she felt a light tap on her shoulder. She opened her hazel eyes and turned to see who was daring to interrupt her. Innocent deep violet eyes met her, and a smile that matched. He was a young boy about six or seven years in age, deep violet hair that matched his eyes save a long lock of hair that was deep blue and seemed to constantly fall in his face. She raised an eyebrow and waited for the boy to speak.

"Um…," he didn't seem sure if he should speak or run away. "Um are you…Are you a prince," he asked politely.

She sighed.

That question…She had to answer that question more times than she ever thought she would since she put her amber ring on her finger.

She shook her head softly, "No. I am not a prince."

"Hmmm…Are you sure? You look like a prince?"

The stoic beauty was tempted to smile at the boy's persistence but she replied again, "Quite sure. I am not a prince. I'm not even dressed like a prince."

She wasn't. She was wearing quite possibly the most feminine pieces of clothing she had, white silk blouse and a pair of black trousers.

The boy scratched his head and then finding another question asked it quickly, "Well, then are you an angel?"

A piece of a smile slipped onto her lips. That was a new one she hadn't been prepared for that.

"No," she replied softly. "I am not an angel either."

"Oh…um…well… then what are you? You can't just be someone ordinary, you're too bright."

She relaxed a bit more and brought her arms to her side. No matter whom the knight happened to be, children just seemed completely drawn to them. It was an interesting thing to see. She had a memory in the back of her mind of Saonji crossing a street and having a group of ten kids following close behind him all trying to ask a question or get his attention. She turned and faced the boy more directly.

"Well, can you keep a secret," she asked seriously.

The boy nodded.

"It just so happens," she looked around her and then looked the boy in the eyes, "I'm a knight."

The child's eyes widened, "Really?"

"Yes indeed."

"Wow," the boy proceeded to ask a few more questions that were a little trivial. Then he asked, "So are you on a quest?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Well I thought that's what knights did. They quest for things and save people. So, are you on a quest?"

She thought for a moment. It was a broad word, quest. It could imply many things. Everyone quested eventually, even if they never left home. "I suppose I was on a quest. But now I'm on a little break."

"So you're just saving people?"

"Yes."

"But why'd you stop your quest?"

The boy was beginning to remind her of someone she used to know. "Well sometimes if you look too hard for something you miss it. So I took a break to see if maybe what I'm looking for will just fall into my hands."

The child was satisfied with the answer. "My mom says if you believe in something enough it will come true. I guess that goes for quests too."

Juri nodded. The boy scooted a little closer to her and ran his fingers over her ring.

"That's pretty," he stated, "My mom has a locket like that."

The two continued to talk for a bit. The little boy would ask an interesting question and Juri found she had to search deep within herself to come up with an appropriate answer. The duties of knight, it seemed, always went above and beyond just the simple damsel in distress.

Believe

If you just believe it will come to you

Soft and shining like a light

It will save you from the night

Believe

Just remember to believe

And every thing, somehow

Will be all right

In my darkest dreams you always fall from my view

They remind me of being lonely

I've seen only the darker shades of you

They remind me of being lost

But I believe

I believe in that light

I know it'll get me through the night

Take my wish straight to your heart

Find a million ways to banish the dark

Believe

Just believe in me

And you will see

Not every angel that's fallen

Is forbidden from feeling

A million dreams take me to you

They remind me of being lonely

And every wish I made was just for you

They remind me of being lost

Fallen angel are you lost

Fallen beauty are you safe

Do you believe I can find you

Believe I can find you

As a million dreams fall from my view

And every wish turns to you

I believe

Believe

Just believe

Believe and your wish will come true

She was a little annoyed. She had told her son to stay with his friends and not run off to the other side of the park. She jogged over the small hill of grass and spotted him. He was talking to someone on a park bench near the willow tree. A million times she had told that boy not to talk to strangers. She rolled her eyes and huffed. As she got closer she called his name.

"Ruka!"

The boy immediately turned around and knew he was in trouble. The woman next to him folded her arms over her waist and looked over at the distant pond.

"Ruka Juri Takatsuki what did I tell you about running off," her voice was stern.

The boy cringed. He looked down at the ground. "You told me not too," he replied softly.

He looked over at the woman he had been talking too and wondered why she didn't come to his rescue.

"And what have I told you about talking to strangers?"

"But she really doesn't seem like a stranger," the boy confessed.

His mother was ready to retort and threaten a week without television or treats but before she could the woman on the bench stood up.

"It's entirely my fau-," Juri went from casual to stoic in a heartbeat. She kept her jaw from hitting the floor and found that little Ruka's mother was attempting the same thing. She let out a slow breath and then said, "Shiori."

"Oh…my…God," was all the woman could utter. She placed a hand on the park bench to prevent herself from fainting and thirteen years flashed before her view. She could feel her son tugging at her pant leg. "Ruka…Ruka would you please go over to the playground."

"Mom?"

"Ruka I won't ask twice."

The young boy didn't question his luck. He scampered off to the playground as quickly as he could.

Shiori decided to take a seat before she lost herself completely. She looked up at the woman before her, hazel eyes waiting patiently as always. She took in a deep breath and searched for something to say.

"How are you doing Shiori," Juri asked first.

A delicate hand brushed a few flyaway strands of violet hair from her once innocent face. She shrugged. "I'm not sure I can answer that question right now. It's been a long time."

"It has," she was pretending to be composed.

"I don't know if I can talk to you right now without a wave of terror drowning me."

"That's a little dramatic don't you think," Juri asked softly.

The woman looked away sadly. "Drama is a sport I've always been good at."

"I know." She hadn't meant for that simple phrase to sound so harsh, but it did. "I'm sorry…I didn't-"

"Perfectly alright," Shiori interrupted. "I mean I deserve that don't I? After all I…I was rather unkind to you the last time we spoke."

The wind picked up and Juri's auburn locks began to catch on the breeze. She looked over at the woman sitting next to her searching for a way to make things less tense.

"Last time we spoke… You said I disgusted you…I…I don't care for the past Shiori," she paused. She wanted say so many things that she knew she shouldn't. So instead she said, "Would you like to meet for dinner sometime?"

"I think that would be a good idea," was the whispered reply.

There was a polite exchange of phone numbers and then Juri went on her way. She almost had a reason to cancel her dinner with Kozue, but she decided trivial gossip might lighten her now nervous mood. Before she disappeared into her car she noticed Shiori ushering her son to the parking lot. She was very surprised how much had changed about her friend and sometimes worst enemy. The boy spotted Juri ducking into her car and he waved. She politely smiled and waved back, not knowing if his mother had caught the gesture. There was a feeling she couldn't shake that things were about to get complicated for her again. She wondered if she was ready for it.

Did I take a million dreams

And throw them all away

Did I say a thousand things

I never meant to say

If I took and broke your heart

You must pardon this reply

Because of all the pretty things it was you

That made me cry

Every night you wished that I was by your side

Filling you with emotions you couldn't hope to hide

And I too in secret wept

Because your heart could not be kept

As I made it very clear

I did not want you near

Of all the lies I ever told

You have to know it's true

Was the one I said

While lying in bed

"I never loved you"

A light hand wandered across her neck and reached for a small silver trinket. She thumbed the design on the locket and wondered if she had been stood up. Soft amethyst eyes looked sadly out the restaurant window and then to her watch. Her dinner companion was only five minutes late. She didn't know why she was so worried. She took a sip of water from the glass in front of her and waited patiently. A few moments later she caught sight of her expected guest boldly moving towards her. The beautiful panther sat politely across from Shiori with a small smile on her face. It surprised Shiori slightly, the smile, if only because she wasn't used to seeing the auburn haired woman smile at all.

"Sorry I'm late," her voice was soft and she winked as she continued, "I couldn't find a place to park."

"That's quite all right," Shiori whispered.

Juri picked up the menu and looked it over briefly. As she did she noticed the locket around the neck of the sad looking woman across form her. A waiter came over and took drink orders. Juri settled on a rustic Merlot and Shiori opted for a Chardonnay. Drinks in hand a polite conversation began. Mostly full of `how are yous' and `did you have any trouble finding the place'. It was soon after they both ordered dinner that Shiori decided she could break into a heavier conversation.

"So I hear you work on movies," she said, her voice light and nervous.

"You hear correctly. I choreograph stunts and have been the sword master on occasion," was the strong and polite answer.

Shiori nodded and then erupted with, "When did you start singing again?"

The once fallen angel was a bit surprised. "What are you talking about?"

"I'd know your voice from a mile away Juri. I may be a mother but I do listen to the radio," she paused and tried to find a smile. "So what's it like being `Anonymous'", she asked.

She took a small sip from her wine and replied, "It's fun. I'm sorry about that."

"Why?"

"I promised you I wouldn't sing anymore."

"We were eight…I...I mean you've…You kept that promise?" She was a bit taken a back. She hadn't realized. Her violet eyes looked lonely.

"I keep all my promises. So…," she raised an eyebrow. "Are you married?"

"No." It was rather flat answer.

"Really, divorced then?"

"Definitely not," another flat reply and it was an obvious sore spot. " My favorite sport in high school sort of caught up with me. So I got to join the ranks of single parents every where." She paused and sighed, "You told me something once that I remembered as soon as Ruka was born."

"Really?"

"Yes… You told me once that I didn't know what love was yet…You were right."

"I'm sure I…"

"No, Juri…You were right. Until the day he was born I didn't really know. Because until I lived for someone else's happiness I just… I just couldn't know."

The food came out and the two women found it hard to eat. Juri kept eyeing Shiori's locket and Shiori did her share by staring at Juri's ring.

"So dare I ask you one thing," the stoic beauty asked.

"Sure."

"Ruka Juri Takatsuki, what made you decided to-"

"Well I was hoping to have a girl…I mean even though we weren't speaking I was thinking of you a lot. I thought Juri was a good name…but I had a boy…and aside from you…Well Ruka really put me in my place didn't he." She shrugged, "Besides the name does suit him. He's very sweet and chivalrous, but sometimes just a little devious."

A broad smile swept across the anonymous singer's face, "I guess the name does suit him then. He's a great conversationalist."

Shiori chuckled. "I know. You made quite an impression on him. He's talked about you for days, and he has nothing but praise for the ground you walk on."

"Well…what can I say…Kids seem to like me."

"Because you're a knight," was the soft and unexpected reply.

Hazel eyes sat in shock for a moment or two and then asked, "How…What do you mean?"

Violet eyes rolled in disappointment, but she was almost proud she still could have the upper hand on occasion.

"Juri…There are a million stories all around the world of these knights that do marvelous things for people…and on occasion there is the rare tale of a prince and her princess but… I did go to that school. I played a very small part in the strange things that happened there remember. And besides," she sighed and took a sip of wine. "Who else but a knight would have a ring that mysterious looking?"

"I never could hide from you could I?"

"You only ever hid one thing from me and now that I'm an adult I wish you could have kept that secret."

"Really, why," she was curious to know the answer to that.

"Because then I wouldn't have hurt you so much. Or rather it would have been one less thing for me to use against you, she sighed. "I don't ever deserve your forgiveness Juri. I mean that. I look back at how I treated you and I really don't know how you ever put up with it…or why…"

"Or why of the pretty things it was you who made me cry," she whispered.

"Exactly!" She pulled her necklace off and tossed it over to her friend with a sigh. "You should be happy to have your revenge."

Juri popped open the locket as she looked over at her lonely companion and sighed. She looked at the two pictures inside the trinket, her mouth open just slightly. The picture on the left side was a baby and very obviously little Ruka. The picture on the right was a fallen angel who had just recently returned to grace. If she could have found the words to speak she would have, but there was very little to say. And how much hurt had to continue between the two of them before everything was right? She closed the trinket and set it in front of the once cruel woman before her. A thought entered her head and she smiled slightly.

"Fate is cruel isn't it?"

"What do you mean," Shiori asked sadly. She was certain her heart was about to be broken in a million pieces. She deserved every ounce of it. She had been petty and beyond cruel in the past. She used and manipulated because she knew she could get away with it. Why should anyone forgive that?

"I mean…," she paused and looked over at her friend who looked on the brink of tears, "I don't know what I mean I guess. That's a very old picture of me…I'd say junior year?"

"Senior."

"Ah...Well…I…"

It was an uncomfortable thing. Old confessions lay sprawled out before them and they didn't know what they should do with them. They were heavy and confused and unexpected. In the long silence that followed the waiter stopped by and presented the bill. Juri beat Shiori to the check without uttering a word. Sad and lonely violet eyes wished for words to say. Again her lovely friend and old enemy beat her.

"So?"

"So…"

"Would you like to go for a short drive? I mean I know you have to get back to Ruka but…would you like to go for a drive," she asked softly, a little sadly.

Shiori nodded and picked her locket off the table placing it around her neck. The two women exited the restaurant quietly and drove off for a midnight ride. The taller of the two pulled a hair clip out of her glove compartment pulling her long auburn locks back. She turned on the radio and the violet-eyed woman next to her sighed. Juri listened to the song that played and almost laughed it was so appropriate.

What do I do?

I spent years getting over you

Spent months forgetting your smile

And now you've returned

And you've finally confessed

You've always wanted me

You were just too blind to see

What do I do?

I've spent my life fighting my love for you

Spent eternity to keep my heart from you

And now you spark my dreams again

You tease with the hope of something I wanted to lose

What do I do?

What do I do?

If I still love you too

The pub was alive with music and laughter. He was smiling as she entered and stealthily walked over to the table he was seated at. The table was in a more open area and he immediately apologized for not being able to secure a better spot. She shrugged it off, sat down lightly and waited for him to speak. His ocean blue eyes seemed brighter than usual. He cleared his throat and blushed.

"Still nervous about asking me favors," she asked.

He blushed some more. "Actually I wanted to give you something."

She raised an eyebrow. "Oh?"

On the seat next to him he had a small bag. He riffled through it and pulled out a brown box setting it on the table lightly. He smiled and said, "Open it."

Her slender fingers very precisely opened the box. She looked over at him in surprise. "Miki…this…this is…"

"A Grammy." His smile grew a bit more. "I know you're busy being a knight and…really we all are…but you didn't hear the news?"

She looked away almost shyly.

"Um well…I've been busy lately." Her hand ran across her neck to touch a small silver locket.

He didn't seem pleased.

"I see…Well," he tried to change the subject, "since you've haven't heard I guess I'll tell you. `Anonymous' won a Grammy. I thought I'd give it to you since no one knows who she is."

She huffed a little and smiled. The bartender walked over to the table and asked if any one needed a drink. Miki ordered a cider and watched as his friend stared at the Grammy for a brief moment still playing with her pendant and then coming out of the brief trance ordered a pint of lager. The bartender left and returned quickly. The musical genius coughed trying to get his friend's attention and then spoke.

"Juri?"

"Yes?"

"I don't mean to pry but…," he paused and watched the expression on her face change slightly.

"If you don't mean to pry…then don't," she said flatly.

"I…I…of course. I'm sorry," he was turning red. "I just was wondering...I mean I haven't seen you wearing a locket since…and well I was curious and-"

"Miki?"

"Yes?"

"You're babbling." She smiled a little and it seemed to calm him down. She took the necklace off and handed it over to the beet red young man across form her. "Take a look."

He opened the small trinket and really didn't know what to make of it. On the right was a picture of a young boy about seven-years old. On the left was a woman he found vaguely familiar. He looked a little closer and remembered the soft innocently cruel eyes. His jaw dropped. Seeing her friend was speechless Juri felt the need to explain.

"Well on the right there that's little Ruka"; she began. "And on the left is his mom whom I'm sure you recognize."

He nodded still not knowing what to say.

"So anyway… as I mentioned, I've been a bit busy to pay attention to things like the Grammy's." She was ready to roll with laughter the look on her friend's face was so priceless. "I mean really," she felt the need to add more to the situation. "Between my day job and being a knight…and well now there's family life to deal with…it's hard to keep up with…"

He was beyond speech.

"Oh dear," she muttered with a laugh. "I do believe I broke him." She tapped his cheek. "Hey…earth to Miki."

Startled he looked around him. "Oh…oh…I'm sorry Miss Juri but it's just a little…"

"Shocking?"

"Yes." He sighed and then smiled. "Well now the Grammy seems a little silly."

"Don't worry it'll look nice on the mantle," she replied warmly.

He chuckled. "I'm sure it will."

A few hours passed with deep conversations and a few laughs. On the way back to Miki's house the duo ran into Kozue. Juri shared her news and the ocean eyed woman seemed a little jealous but over all extremely happy. The usually serious knight of hope said her goodbyes and felt a sudden ease wash over her. Happiness…complete and total happiness was a strange feeling to someone who had only had glimpses of it. Her past was a dark cold room never to be entered, filled with emotions she knew she would never have to feel again. Her car came to a slow halt as she reached her house. The lights were on and as she walked up the steps she could hear a small commotion inside. She opened the door slowly only to be rushed by a young boy. His mother was soon behind him panting a little.

"Ruka…please," his mother begged. "You have to go to bed."

"But you said-"

His exhausted mother rolled her eyes. "I said you could stay up for a little while longer…not three hours longer." She looked over at the woman standing in the doorway and pleaded for help.

"Ruka," Juri's voice was soft and stern.

He looked up at her innocent violet eyes making a plea of their own. "Yes?"

"I think it's time for you to go to bed."

He sighed sadly. "Oh ok…fine."

He stomped up the stairs to his room.

His mother looked over at the woman before her and shrugged. "How do you do that?"

"Magic," she smiled and winked. "Actually I have no idea maybe it's an added bonus to wearing this."

She held up her left hand and her ring caught the light.

"Hmm…I don't know about that." A light smile stretched across Shiori's face as she noticed the box Juri was carrying. "What's that?"

"A Grammy," was the nonchalant reply.

"Really?"

"Some anonymous singer won it for some song about believing in something." Juri smiled and stepped into the house a little more. She shut the door lightly and set the box on a near by table. "So maybe we should go upstairs and make sure he's actually in bed and not torturing the cat."

Shiori failed at containing her laugh. "I agree."

They walked up the stairs together and paused just as they approached little Ruka's door. They listened and then opened the door just slightly. He was telling a story to some of his toys.

"And so the noble knight rescued the fair maiden-," he stopped short when he noticed he was being watched.

The door opened a little more, his mother and Juri stood in the doorway with broad smiles on their faces. He blushed and hopped into his bed.

"What are you doing," his mother asked.

"Nothing."

The two women stepped into the room and walked over to the bed. He scurried under the covers and waited patiently. They both gave him a kiss goodnight and were ready to exit the room.

"Wait," he called. "Tell me a story."

"It's already very late," Juri stated. "You do have to go to school in the morning."

"Please just one."

Both women sighed, how could they refuse?

"Ok," his mother said. "Just one, so which story shall it be?"

"Tell the one about the knights."

"Which knight," Juri asked softly.

"Um…The Knight of Hope, you know the one where she saves the fair maiden from the evil trolls."

Both women rolled their eyes and began to tell him the tale. About half way through he fell asleep and they snuck out of the room quietly. Shiori turned off the boy's light sighing in relief.

"I wish I knew where he got all this energy from. His father wasn't that tiring," she confessed.

Juri shrugged. "Maybe he gets it from his mother. As I recall you were quite tiring as a young girl." She smiled slyly.

"I think the Knight of Hope and her friends need to gather some more stories."

"I'll tell him a new one tomorrow," hazel eyes promised.

"Oh what about?"

"About a princess who saves a sleeping prince."

She was curious. "I don't think you've told me that one.'

"No?"

Shiori shook her head, "No. Care to tell me a bedtime story."

She stepped in closer to Juri and wrapped her arms around the knight's waist.

"Fair maiden…it would be my pleasure," she replied.

The knight bent down just a little and placed a light kiss on her love's lips.

Believe in miracles

That your wish may come true

Believe that I will always love you

Believe that you are all I need

Believe

In a thing that is softer than light

And greater than the dark

Believe

That you own possession of my heart

And nothing

Not one thing

Could break me from this moment

Or your smile

Believe in miracles

Your dreams will come true

And good fortune follow you

The end…