Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ The Other Side Of The Picture ❯ Withering Rose Petals ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Okay, this is for all of you Wakaba fans out there! This is taking place during the Flourishing Wakaba episode, as if you couldn’t have guessed.

Anyway, I’m glad you’re all reviewing! I’m more then happy with my reviews!

I I I

The Other Side of The Picture

Chapter 12: Withering Rose Petals

I I I

Oh soul, dried up by loneliness

Right now let courage bloom!

Just like a red rose, blooming in the dark!

Kura Yami Ni Akai Bara – Romantic Soldier – Ogata Megumi – Yuu Yuu Hakushou

I I I

‘Another day goes on without you.’ Juri thought to herself as she looked out of the window at the passing birds, flying high above.

During lunch, Juri noticed Shinohara Wakaba, who seemed to stand out from the other girls, shining brightly and happier then usual.

‘Odd.’ She thought.

All throughout the day, Wakaba seemed much happier and even looked prettier then usual.

‘Maybe she’s just having a good day.’ Juri shrugged it off.

The next day, Wakaba was walking Juri’s way. “Good morning, Juri-sama.” She smiled brightly.

“Good morning.” The curly haired female replied as she watched Wakaba walk past and giggle to the other girls.

Soon, lunchtime came around and Juri looked around for her lunch. It wasn’t there. “Damn, must’ve forgotten it again.” She ran a hand down her face in agony.

She walked into her dorm room and went to find the desired box lunch. The curly haired woman walked past the phone, which seemed to ring on queue.

Juri picked up the phone.

“Hello.”

“Hello, Juri-san.” A male voice intoned over the receiver. Her eyes widened and she almost dropped the phone. “Saionji?”

“Happy to hear me?” Saionji sat in Wakaba’s dorm room, clad in blue jeans and a black shirt.

“Where are you?” She asked.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” He answered.

“Why do you always have to give me such avoidant answers?” She huffed.

“How have you been?” Saionji asked.

“The same, I suppose.”

“Same shit, different day, huh?” The green haired man questioned.

“Pretty much.” Juri sighed.

“Something wrong?” He asked, propping a knee up and resting an arm lazily over it, looking at her picture.

“Nothing’s wrong.” Juri replied, masking her feelings. “Enjoying your expulsion?”

“Bored as hell.” The voice came. “Just sitting here, entertaining myself as I watch the paint flake, loosing my sanity slowly as I sit and rot.”

“So, are you coming back?”

“Why should I?”

“…” Juri didn’t want to tell him, but who knew how long it would be until they spoke again, if they even spoke at all. So she came to the conclusion that she had to do it. She had to bring herself to it.

A barely audible voice came over the receiver. “Because I’d miss you.”

“Of course you would, which is why you have my picture in your locket.”

‘I can’t believe I just submitted to him like that.’

“…”

“Tell me the real reason why my picture’s in your locket.”

‘Not this again.’

“Why?”

“You can’t hide it forever, Arisugawa. We may be friends, but that doesn’t mean I’ll lay off the subject.”

“I’ll tell you when you come back.”

On the other end of the phone, Saionji made a face of annoyance and narrowed his eyes.

“Well, I’ve got to go. It’s time to get back to class.” Juri told him.

“Hmfph, who gives a damn about the bell?”

“You can’t give a damn when you’re not here to give a damn.”

“Fine, fine.” Saionji smiled. “Wouldn’t want to make you late for your precious class.”

“Whatever.” She huffed. “Good bye, Saionji.”

“See you later.”

“Huh?”

The other line hung up. The curly haired woman hung her phone up when she heard the dial tone.

‘Well, I didn’t eat lunch today, did I?’ Her thoughts berated her as she walked off to complete classes after lunch.

It seemed like no matter where she went, she saw Wakaba’s shining face.

‘Why the hell is she so happy?’ Juri wondered. ‘It’s like someone good suddenly happened to brighten up her life…Why can’t good things come to me? Oh well, who cares, right?’

Suddenly, she felt slender arms wrap around one of her arms.

“Hello, Juri-san.” The sweet voice of Shiori ran through her ears. She looked down to see the purple haired girl below her, smiling he cruelly innocent smile. “Let’s go to class, ok?”

The two walked down the hall to their respected class.

IX.

On a non-descript wall of Ohtori Academy, the two shadow girls, A-ko and B-ko stood.

“Did you know? Did you know?” B-ko asked A-ko.

“Did I know what?” A-ko asked.

“We’re going to read some quotes here that apply to the situation at hand, got any?”

A-ko flipped through a book. “Hmmm…Let me see… Love is the immortal flow of energy that nourishes, extends and preserves. Its eternal goal is life.”

“My turn.” B-ko replied. “Can miles truly separate you from friends…If you want to be with someone you love, aren’t you already there?”

“How about this one?” A-ko suggested. “I like this one. Immature love says ‘I need you because I love you’ Mature love says’ I need you because I love you.’ “

“Good one.” B-ko replied. “Sympathy constitutes friendship, but in love there is a sort of antipathy, or opposing passion. Each strives to be the other, and both together make a whole.”

“Love is missing someone whenever you’re apart, but somehow feeling warm inside because you’re close at heart.”

Both shut the books in unison. “Did you know? Did you know? Oh did you know?”

IX.

After school, Juri was walking down the sidewalk, when Wakaba bumped into her, causing her to stumble a few feet. The school girl flung a hand over her mouth. “Oh, Juri-san, I’m so sorry, are you okay?” Wakaba half bowed. “I wasn’t watching where I was going. I really should have been looking ahead. I’m soooo sorry.” The girl was still bowing, causing Juri to sweat drop.

“It’s fine.” She stated simply.

The brown haired girl looked at her watch. “Oh! Gotta fly! I’m going to be late!”

“Hey, Wait.” Juri stopped in mid-sentence, seeing the hyper active onion princess take off in a cloud of dust.

‘She sure seems in a hurry to get somewhere.’ She looked down the path, seeing no sign of the onion head anywhere.

Wakaba ran as fast as she could, carrying her satchel in a hurry down the street, trying her best to get to her room quickly. Juri stood where she was a few minuets, and then turned to walk back towards her dorm.

When she got in her room, she looked at the green rose in her table, blossomed in the lonely vase.

She smiled a small smile.

Saionji tucked the picture of Juri away in the pocket of his blue jean shirt. The door opened, revealing a panting Wakaba.

“Welcome home.” Saionji replied.

TBC

Preview for chapter 13:

Life is like an ocean – calm and tranquil as you ship floats aimlessly about. Then, out of nowhere, the waves grow bigger and bigger – until your caught in a storm.

A/N: This chapter was weird for me to write, I dunno why, I just know it was. I had a hard time writing Juri in this and had to get some help from Red Rose Touga. I hope I wrote her right in this chapter. Please R&R!