Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ The Other Side Of The Picture ❯ Darkness Rising ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Here I am yet again. Updating this fanfic. Dunno why I'm in such a mood today. I guess I just want to get to finished. I've been keeping these extra chapters up in my comp forever.
 
 
 
The Other Side of the Picture
 
Chapter 17: Darkness Rising
 
 
 
 
Exhausted without the strength to search
People vanish into infinite darkness
 
-Fukai Mori-Inuyasha-Do As Infinity
 
 
~~
 
 
Juri was dressed in a black shirt with elaborate buttons, adorned with a black rose in the breast pocket. She held the sword she had pulled from Saionji in her fencing position. The curly haired woman's white-clad legs bent and her black shoes shone in the sun.
 
Utena blinked. `Juri?'
 
“Why are you here, Juri?”
 
“Enough questions, let's duel!” Juri yelled as she ran at Utena, the bells sounding the beginning of the duel. The sound of swords echoed through the fighting arena. “What's your problem?” The pink haired girl asked, concentrating on blocking Juri's sword.
 
“We'll never be.” She frowned. “There is no such thing as miracles!”
 
Utena proceeded to block the vicious thrusts. “Who will never be?”
 
“I can't have him, knowing that he pretends to have feelings for Himemiya!”
 
`Himemiya?' The pink haired tomboy was thoroughly confused by the curl haired girl's actions.
 
“If I can't have him! No one can!” the leopard thrusted once again and Utena dodged as the sword came over her shoulder, barely missing her head.
 
“I know my feelings now!” Her opponent yelled. “I love him and nothing will keep me from fighting for the thing that is mine, the thing I refuse to let anyone take away!”
 
The orange haired girl spun around and Utena moved to the side, leaving Anthy exposed to an attack. Juri took this as an offer and ran at Anthy, ready to make the kill, until the girl blocked.
 
“Damn it.”
 
“What's wrong with you?!” Utena yelled.
 
Your hand feels gentle
You said so,
Tears come out
Very quietly
 
“I won't let her take him away from me! I refuse to let him be blinded by her emotionless façade.”
 
Seashore in spring,
Your head on my knees and fell asleep,
Your hair gently,
When I combed with my fingers
 
“I will fight with his sword! I will take what belongs to me!”
 
The girl continued to block.
 
“My love for him will not die. Even if there are no miracles, the light can shine through vaguely.”
 
Anthy watched her prince duel.
 
Juri wore a face of sorrow and misery, one she'd usually only reveal behind closed doors.
 
`Who is she talking about?'
 
“His sword gives me strength to fight and the will to take what is mine!”
 
Utena continued to fight her best against the fast striking, relentless. It was like she seemed stronger now, like she had a bit more strength and more vitality to her. It didn't seem like she was beginning to.
 
“Saionji will love me.”
 
“S-Saionji?” Utena was shocked.
 
Juri loved…Saionji? As in Kyouichi Saionji?
 
Suddenly, it felt like I understood everything
All of the pain in the heart goes home to the sky
 
“Saionji? You mean Kyouichi Saionji?” Utena asked in a state of shock.
 
Her opponent remained silent. She swung her sword at Utena once more, making a small cut in her dueling uniform, dangerously close to the rose on her breast. The pink haired girl gasped. She meant business.
 
On your cheek
The drops of tears
I told you its spray from the sea
I put my hands over yours to blind
 
Juri ran at her opponent, her sword drawn. “I will win his love!”
 
Utena charged at Juri, sword drawn. “We'll see about that!”
 
Anthy watched with anticipation as the two charged at each other. Black rose petals flew through the air, and a sword struck the ground All of the pictures on the desks seemed to fall over at once, making an echoing clink. As they did, the bells rang once more, sounding the end of the duel.
 
Juri lay on the ground in the fetal position.
 
Utena stood, facing Anthy.
 
The duel was over.
 
She had won.
 
 
But what was that all about?
 
Juri loved Saionji?
 
Maybe she was just delusional. Perhaps she didn't hear the name correctly, maybe it wasn't Saionji…Maybe it was something else.
 
A few days later, she was walking down the cement walkways with Anthy as she saw the two of them pass.
 
Saionji and Juri were walking together. The pink haired girl stopped and looked over her shoulder at them. They were walking side by side, though they were in silence.
 
“Huh?” Utena looked confused.
 
After a while, they began to talk, but she was too far away to hear what they were saying.
 
She stood there, for a while, listening, but she could only hear distant mumbles.
 
They don't seem like they're fighting or anything.' Utena thought to herself. She watched the two of them walk off into the distance.
 
Saionji and Juri walked side by side, only the sound of footsteps could be heard between the two of them.
 
Suddenly, a purple haired girl walked up to Juri and sat a hand on her chest. “Hello, Juri-san.”
 
Purple eyes narrowed. `I knew it.'
 
Saionji kept walking.
 
“Hmpf!” The man thought to himself. `Once a lesbian always a lesbian. It doesn't matter if you're wanted by both sexes you'll still remain true to your desires. You held Shiori in that locket so long and you still love her, so you should put her picture back in the locket. Where it belongs?'
 
He continued to walk until Juri and Shiori were out of sight.
 
 
~~
 
On a non-descript wall of Ohtori Academy the Shadow Playgirls A-ko and B-ko were shown.
 
“Have you chosen?”A-ko asked B-ko.
 
“I'm leaning toward the old dress. I can always restore it.” A-ko replied. “The new one really doesn't seem my style.”
 
“You can't go throwing it away if you're not sure, you know.” B-ko replied.
 
“I know.” A-ko sighed. “I'm still trying to decide.
 
“You know,” B-ko suggested. “I'd still keep that new dress incase you change your mind.”
 
“Of course.”
 
 
~~
 
The green haired duelist walked to his dorm.
 
`Nothing eternal can be achieved without the Revolution.' He thought to himself. `Not even friendship.'
 
TBC
 
~~
 
A desperate struggle
The Strongest takes it all
Until the weakest finally fall
 
-She's Got the Power- Sailor Moon-
 
 
Preview for chapter 18: Sometimes people just want to forget their past. Keep it buried deep within their hearts and hope they never have to think about it again. But when they one thing they hate confronts them again, only understanding can heal the shattered heart left behind.
 
 
 
 
A/N: This is the end of chapter 17. 18 is on the way. In 18 there will be more of Juri and Shiori. There will be fluff, shoujo-ai and some angst.