Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ Huntress of the Night ❯ Tricked ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Owen pulled the curtains closed in the room and then lit a few candles. "You think you can come in now?"

A shadowy figure opened the slightly cracked door and stepped in, followed by Rolland who was holding his hand in fear. The boy looked around, "I can't see in here," he said rather shaky.

"You're sight will get used to the darkness after a while little one…it is nothing to be alarmed about," replied the vampire.

"Alexiel has his cousin," Owen said, "I tried my best to give you a head start so she wouldn't find you here but she is as stubborn as the hunter D."

Drake sat down in a chair and pulled Rolland into his lap, cuddling the boy. Rolland reached towards his throat, scratching at the two small holes on the side of his neck. Until a large pale hand stopped him.

"Do not scratch Rolland," he said, "it will bleed again if you do……"

"But it itches sir………"

"Sir, what should be done about the hunters?"

Drake looked up at Owen. "They'll come back for Rolland --- I'll expect you to handle Alexiel, leave D up to the Barberoi…."

"With all do respect Drake, Alexiel and D are stronger than the Barberoy and myself…they will kill us in an instant then come after you. And with D's history with being Dracula's son, and Alexiel's history being Meier's relative…………….our chances of succeeding aren't really good."

Rolland looked back and forth at the two men and then tugged against Drake's jacket, "Um…………………Mr. Drake sir……….what about Amelia?"

"Don't worry little Rolland," Drake said, "we'll get her back……………she will join you soon……………you should get some rest, you are still tired………"

Rolland nodded and rested against Drake's chest, slowly drifting to sleep listening to their chatter.

*~*~*~*~*

"Drake is not in there Alexiel," D said to her for the second time, "and it is possible that the Barberoy took the boy to his next hideout."

"I don't care D! I'm checking again, besides Owen is still in there, it wouldn't kill you to just look again. You can go if you want, nobody's telling you that you had to work with us, we're still competition for all I know!" the huntress snapped back at him.

She took Amelia and hid her in a few bushes, "Now listen Amelia, I'm going back in and I'm gonna try and find your cousin. I want you to stay right here and don't move. Can you do that for me?" Amelia nodded quietly, choking back a few tears. "Hey, relax…………nothing's going to happen, I'm coming right back. But you have to stay here so they won't get you, okay?" Amelia nodded again.

Alexiel stood up and looked at D who just mounted his horse.

"I take it you're going?"

D didn't answer.

"Thought so………I'm not going to tell you his next hiding spot, I'm leaving that for you to find out for yourself."

"Fine with me."

Alexiel unsheathed her sword and headed back into the mansion, and for a few minutes D just watched her.

"This is just my opinion," Lefty began, "but you two really hate each other right about now………"

"…………….If she wants to waste time that's her choice…………….I'm not her brother………….I don't have to go after her."

"Whatever……………listen D --- hey! Don't start leaving! D! She might need your help! WILL YOU STOP!!!" D ignored Lefty and took off.

*~*~*~*~*

Alexiel checked every room on the bottom floor, slicing through one Barberoy after another. Nothing. Then she headed upstairs again. Nothing. Everything was too quiet than before when she rescued Amelia. All doors were closed too. Last time she was up there almost half were at least opened a crack.

//Okay Parker……………………where have you hidden yourself// she said mentally. Just then she got two evil energies coming from the door in front of her. One stronger than the other --- but the weaker one was only like that because the energy was still arriving. //Damn! He changed Rolland!!!// Alexiel gripped the handle of her sword tightly with one hand while her other reached out for the knob. But then something grabbed her and spun her around.

"Looking for someone?" Owen asked in his (to Alexiel) usual tone of voice.

Alexiel exhaled the hit him on the arm, "Don't ever do that again Owen or I swear I'm going to nail you." Her head then jerked to the door. "Drake is in there, Rolland too……………………but he's changed."

Owen grinned behind her back, "I know…………" he said.

"How?" the huntress turned back and saw him with that wicked smile on. She didn't like it. "Owen…………………what is going on?"

"Where's D?"

"Don't change the subject."

"I'm not…………I'm just curious about where D is."

"………He's gone. Now what's going o--"

"Then you don't have any help," Owen whipped out his gun and aimed it towards Alexiel's head. "Do you?"

*~*~*~*~*

D made it to a destroyed town after half an hour of riding. There were still people, but everyone was trying to rebuild the town. He slowly rode through the city looking around. An old man walked up to him and D stopped.

"Can you please tell me where I am sir?" D asked.

"You're right now in what used to be Maliteno Town. But over 2000 years ago monsters appeared out of nowhere and tore apart everything. Most of the survivors were young adults………as the years passed by we've been trying to get it back up on its feet…………still no luck. So what brings you here sonny?"

"………Nothing. I'm just passing through."

"Eh, just like everybody else………nobody ever comes by anymore to help ever since that terrible night………rumor said that a vampire was here too. He was in charge of the entire masquerade."

D turned to the old man. "What vampire?"

He shrugged, "Nobody knew………………but he killed poor old Robert Robeina and kidnapped his infant daughter Mignonette. The poor child wasn't even a year old and she was ill with a sickness nobody knew how to cure."

"Robert Robeina?" D repeated.

"Yes. He was the blacksmith that was once abducted by Lillian Link, the vampire who lived atop the mountain not far from town. He wasn't changed though………….that's what confused everybody, even him. He just came back the same way before he was taken."

//Blacksmith? Lillian Link?// D thought, "Where was his house?"

The old man pointed to a gigantic pile of rubble. "You'll never find anything in there, but all of the important belongings that were never burnt are all back at my house. Would you like to see them?"

D nodded and dismounted and followed the old man. While following him, he caught two dark scents that never really left the town. One was his father and the other…was Alexiel.

*~*~*~*~*

Alexiel threw Owen against a wall and pinned him down with a Kriss blade to his throat. He wasn't doing well; he had gashes and cuts all over his chest and arms. Alexiel had a bullet wound on her left arm and one large cut on her right forearm to the backside of her hand.

"What in the hell made you think you were going to get something out of this," Alexiel said and kneed him in his lower gut. "When you know goddamn well, you're only going to die when he's through with you!"

"He's not gonna kill me," Owen breathed, "he promised my father………that he wouldn't. And Drake never broke a promise……………to a Barberoy."

The huntress' eyes widened in surprise and she was then kicked away by Owen. Her back hit the rail. Owen punched her across the face, sending her stumbling to the side.

"You're a Barberoy!?!" she exclaimed. "But how? I don't sense one ounce of their kind inside of you."

"You wouldn't be able to now would you? Before I ran into you I read that a dunpeal can sense dark energies, which was how you were able to find Drake and the kids, but what they couldn't sense were evil beings that are at least 1/4 of an evil race. My mother was half Barberoy and my dad was human. Human + half Barberoy = me. Any more questions, Robeina?"

"Robeina?" Alexiel repeated. "Drake must have screwed with your head…………………………. my name is not Robeina."

"Ahh, so you didn't find out yet huh? And I don't suppose your brother did either………"

"What are you babbling about Parker? What brother?"

*~*~*~*~*

The old man picked up a half burnt journal and handed it to D, "Well, this is the only thing in here with any information about his encounters. Don't let the cover fool you sonny, all of the notes are still there. None were burnt."

"Thank you……………I will return it once I'm finished."

"Eh forget it, keep it. I never really found much interest in it."

D nodded and began to head off. While walking back to his horse he began to read a few things.

--------

February 18

Last night, was a night I wish to have repeated. The only thing I disliked was I was woken up in the middle of the night to see monsters in my room and then I get knocked out again. But the second time I woke up was two hours later; I was in another room…but not in my own home. A woman came through the door after I let my eyes wander about the room. The woman was a vampire --- Meier Link's second cousin, Lillian. From what I've heard about her looks she looked like Meier only more feminine. But as I saw her, she looked a little like Meier. Long black hair that touched the back of her knees, her eyes were a dark red like the wine that I had seven nights ago when I was invited to the mayor's house for a birthday dinner. Her skin was as pale as his, which I've come to expect since she was a vampire. And her face…………absolutely breathtaking. I never thought that a monster such as her would be so beautiful.

But I must be crazy. I couldn't be in love with her, could I?

What surprised me was she didn't kill me or change me. But what she did I cannot tell all --- but her words are still in my head:

"I've been watching you Robert Robeina," she said to me, in a voice I'll never forget. "I see you suffer day by day, all alone…………it grieves me to see you like that." When I asked her what she would do to me she replied: "I am going to set your spirit free………my love."

My breath was stuck in my throat when she said that. But she simply smiled and leaned down and kissed me………… It's so strange --- I still feel her lips against mine, even now………

--------

June 10

I traveled up to her mansion again. When I went to see her she was sitting by the fireplace sitting in a chair and staring at the flames. Her face wasn't as happy as last time I saw her. That concerned me. I went over to her and asked her what was wrong. She looked at me like she was going to cry. "Something has happened to me Robert," she said rather shaky. Before I could ask what was the matter, she took my hand and placed it on her belly. I felt nothing at first --- but then I felt something move inside of her.

But it was impossible --- vampires cannot bare children…………can they?

"It's your child Robert," she spoke again. "I don't know how this happened……………and I don't know if I'll be able to bear this child for long………you know how many mobs are after me since the night we met."

I knew. Over 20 mobs were after my beloved Lillian. One from this town, the rest I don't know where they came from. I told her not to worry, that I would never let them get her. And as for our child I wasn't sure at the time --- so I told her we'll have to wait and see what happens.

--------

July 24

Day by day she gets weaker. One of her servants that was a doctor told her it was just the pregnancy, and that both her and the child are doing fine. She sighed in relief, she looked very tired. I stayed by her side every time I went to see her.

Last night I believed we started picking out names for the child. There were so many to choose from. We narrowed them down to at least four names. Two for each: if the child would be a boy, his name would either be Randall or Vincent. And if it were to be a girl, she would be either Adrian or Mignonette. In my opinion I would choose Mignonette if it were a girl. It sounds so lovely --- my great-grandmother was named Mignonette; and she was very beautiful in her youth. And with a mother like my Lillian, I imagined, if she has a girl, that she would be the same.

--------

D closed the book and mounted his horse.

"Are you still convinced that Alexiel's not your sister?" Lefty asked, "That is what you're thinking about."

"It's possible that she could be Mignonette."

"Maybe……………but what do I know? I'm just your hand."

D skimmed through a few pages until something fell out of the back of the book. D caught it in mid air and unfolded it. Some of it was torn off, but he saw that it was his father's handwriting.

"Now I have two, a son………and a daughter………" was all that was written. The rest was torn away.

*~*~*~*~*

Owen fell to the ground after Alexiel took another swing of her sword, slashing his chest. Both of them were panting for breath.

"Last chance Owen Parker………………tell me who my brother is……………or I'll send you to Hell………" Alexiel held her sword pointed to his heart.

Owen coughed up some blood then laughed. He then reached into his pocket and pulled out a ripped up piece of paper, holding it up to the huntress. "See for yourself…………dunpeal………"

Alexiel grabbed the paper out his hand and slid it into her pocket; "I'll read it later………now, give up and go home before………I have to kill you………"

"Over…………my………deadR 30;…………body………" with that, Owen laid his head back and closed his eyes. His chest had stopped rising and falling --- he was dead.

Alexiel pressed the blade against his chest, then rammed it down into his heart. //See you in Hell Parker//

She pulled out her sword then sheathed it again. Then she folded her hair in the back of her ears and pulled out a small pocket mirror. She popped it open and looked at her face. Hardly any cuts but her face was almost covered in blood with strands of her black bangs sticking to her face. Alexiel leaned down and grabbed Owen's water bottle then tilted her head up and sprayed on some water. Then she grabbed his bandana and used it to wipe off the blood. She double-checked her face, no blood. Just only one small cut on her cheek and the other cut was along her jaw.

//Screw it; I'll worry about those later// she put her mirror away and looked up at the door. //You're not getting away from me a second time Drake………not this time//

*~*~*~*~*