Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ Untold Knight ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A man waited patiently outside of the village Nica. His long silver hair flowed out behind him dancing lightly on the wind. His horse, a black and fidgety beast by nature, had begun to prance in place. The man's figure denied his true age, which was 1098. A young woman came running from the village stumbling as she approached him. He rushed up to her to hear whatever news she had brought to him.
"I'm sorry sir. She didn't make it. But she left a small package for you," She held out a small child wrapped in a blanket. "It's a girl. She wanted you to name her."
"She died?" he asked.
"During birth sir. My condolences." She looked at the child; so small in his large yet agile hands. "I could come along to help you raise the child."
"At this point in time I believe it would be best. Since you're going to be with me you should know my name." He spoke gently and waited patiently for her to agree. "Count Grayson." She bowed.
"Don't ever do that to me... please." His whispered plea traveled easily across the wind.
"My name is Nikita. I'm honored to meet a vampire. Though most would not. We best leave swiftly. The village is following me." He mounted, and offered her a hand up before pulling her up in front of him, and handing her the child. "What will you call her?"
"Catherine." Grayson spurred the horse and took off into the now bustling night. "We need to find a place before daylight."
"Head north." He looked down at her with doubt plain in his eyes; he'd have to go around or through the village that way. "Trust me, just ride straight through the village." He nodded reluctantly as large group of people came up the hill he had just ridden off of. "Just go, they'll scatter and there will be no problems." Grayson spurred the horse straight toward the angry mob. He didn't like senseless killing, and wouldn't kill unless needed.
The horse lurched forward putting all its energy into the run and created the sensation of it running on the wind. It's feet barely touching the ground as it swept by the scattering people, and passed through the village as the sight flew by in a blur of dulled colors and shadows. Soon they were at an old abandoned house far away from the village that Grayson knew should have taken significantly longer. Nikita stared at him in confusion and then to the babe in her arms. "How did we get here so fast?” No reply. “Grayson?"
"I think my child may have a secret she's keeping from us," He smiled at Catherine as she cooed and tugged at one of her toes before returning to sucking her thumb. "You have you mother's eyes."

"Catherine! Get out of that tree!" Nikita yelled. Her once blonde hair had turned gray and was pinned back in a bun. She wore a simple silk, sky blue dress.
"But Nikita!" Catherine yelled looking up at a flock of birds flying overhead from where she sat on a branch next to the trees trunk that she was using as a pillow.
"No buts about it. You're in a dress and its almost nightfall. You do want to join your father for dinner don't you?" Nikita asked.
"No, I want to join my mother. He never tells me anything about her! When I bring up the subject he changes it." Catherine leapt down; her dress flew around her as she fell. "You won't tell me anything either." She pointed an accusing finger at her keeper.
"It was a fast romance that ended in tragedy, but left us with a charming you lady; that is when she want to be." Nikita walked away with Catherine following behind.
"I want to know what she looked like. What her personality was like." Catherine lowered her head. "I never got to meet her."
"Come child, your father will awaken soon."
"Can I call you mother?"
"Anytime, unless we're around your father. I don't want him to think I'm trying to take your mother's place." Catherine nodded numbly as a small amount of weight seemed to lift from her shoulders. She ran up and took Nikita's arm as they walked back to the castle that appeared over the hill as they approached.
Grayson sat at the table waiting for Catherine to come join him. The wait was not long as door opened quietly and she walked in taking her seat across from him. Her long black hair hung loose, and a black dress clung tightly to her skin showing her slender figure; but her figure didn't betray the strength she possessed. "You are late."
"Forgive me father... I was deep in thought. Perhaps you could clear it up though." Catherine said beating around the bush.
"What is it then Kitty?” Grayson asked resting his head in his hand.
"Mother." Catherine said lowering her head.
"Follow me," Catherine looked up quickly in shock; Grayson was walking out of the dinning room into his own room. Catherine stood up and followed quickly; she had never been in her father's room. When she was scared at night when she was young she'd have to suffer though it outside his door. "There." He pointed to a picture; and Catherine's gaze followed where he pointed. The woman had long blonde hair and blue eyes with a muscular structure, and she wore a regular shirt and pants. "That is your mother. I'll have this painting of her moved into your room. I think you're old enough now."
"Thank you father," Catherine hugged her father, as a single tear fell down her cheek. Grayson cleared his throat and Catherine let go and looked back to her mother's picture. Grayson left silently and she followed him back to the dinning room glancing once over her shoulder. "Mother..." Catherine whispered.