Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ Untold Knight ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A strong wind blew through the forest a young looking woman ran through it fighting the wind. She jumped as a grizzly bear leapt out before her. Jumping she flipped over in the air as the beast watched her maneuver with care. The woman continued to run her silky black hair flying behind her. Her tight pants and shirt clinging to her sweat drenched body. She was dressed completely in black cloths.
 
She ran for a while longer before a pink and green creature that looked like an overgrown rabbit with fangs and claws jumped out at her stopping the woman in her tracks. She jumped again swinging her foot into the side of its face. It ducked and grabbed her foot throwing her to the ground. She couldn't move for a second but jumped to her feet just in time before the beast could bring a boulder down on top of her. She quickly swung her elbow down on its back and knocked it to the ground unconscious.
 
The wind dramatically increased and threw a fallen tree at her pinning her between it and another tree. She gathered all strength and shoved the log off of her. Quickly regaining her balance she ran straight into the wind, dodging objects as they flew at her. Soon she made it to the other side of the forest, and looked out at the plain. A wind drake landed before her with a thud and tossed up dust and loose ground.
 
"You've improved dramatically Catherine," the wind drake said in a deep manly tone.
 
"Thank you." She answered as the other creatures she fought with came out of the forest. "Ok, You all can return and rest." She held several cards out in the air with her mind and watched as the creatures dissolved into the cards before turning to the wind drake again, "Don't you have a name?" It tilted its head. "I'll take that as a no. How about Dacca?"
 
"That sounds lovely." The wind drake looked at the darkening sky. "It's almost night. I'll give you a ride home instead of you having to run, and then I'll return to my card." Catherine smiled and nodded in agreement feeling her muscles complain at the thought of having to run back on her own. Dacca leaned down and Catherine climbed up behind her head, and then drake then flew off for the castle with a mighty swoop of the beast's powerful wings.
 
"How old is she now?" Grayson asked a griffon gazing out the window at the moon.
 
"She is 152 today sir." The griffon wanted to laugh at his master's question. "That training was an excellent idea. The guest are already here, and she'll be arriving any minute."
 
"Do you think she'll like her birthday party?" Grayson asked turning to the hawk colored creature before him.
 
"I know she will!" The griffon looked around the room. "But the part she may not be too happy about is the inviting every bachelor in the world."
 
"When Nikita died I wanted to find someone for her immediately... I waited for 120 years to do this. Now she will find her self a good husband. One that can take care of her!" Grayson slammed his fist down on the desk.
"Yes, I know you wish this, but does she?" The griffon turned around and left to take care of the guests.
 
"Thanks Dacca!" Catherine yelled as the wind drake returned to her card. She put the card back in the cardholder around her waist, and turned around to enter the castle. Everything was dark, and it freaked her out a little. She knew her father like the dark but not this much. Slowly she proceeded to the main hall where Catherine could hear people moving around. Drawing her dagger she took careful aim at the closest target when the lamps lit themselves flooding the room with light.
 
"Surprise!" Tons of people yelled, but by their face they had just used their powers to make it louder. She sheathed the danger in her belt as a vampiress walked forward and took her arm. "I am Lamiae and I am going to help you get ready for your birthday party." The woman led Catherine to a room filled with hundreds of dresses. "I think this one will look great on you." Lamiae pulled out a silk black dress, and across the back it was held by a bat pendent. It covered her arms loosely so no one would think of her as manly because of the muscles she had gained since she had started training. Catherine nodded numbly as the woman rushed about preparing her.
 
After Catherine put the dress on she noticed it dragged the ground and inch or two, and she kept on stepping on it. "It's too long." Catherine complained looking into a mirror, but as soon as she finished her shoes were shoved into her hands. Catherine quickly sat down and put them on; her dress now barely touched the ground. "Never mind it's perfect." She turned around to see no one. Catherine snuck into her room and grabbed a necklace with a black diamond the size of a dollar coin. Quickly putting it on she walked down to her party.
 
Catherine heard someone walking up behind her, and turned around to find a tall man with blue eyes and silver hair; another was behind him. That man's eyes were brown and he stood a bit shorter; though he did have the same color of hair. "You are?"
 
"My name is Dracula and this is Adrian." He reached out and kissed her hand causing Catherine blushed a little as he let go of her hand. Adrian just nodded to show that he was delighted to meet her.
 
"Thee Dracula?" Catherine asked; Dracula nodded. "I thought you had two sons."
 
"This is my younger son." Dracula cleared his throat. "It would be best for all if my oldest did not show up."
 
"Okay, can I show you around?" Catherine was trying to be polite but noticed she was doing a horrible job at being a hostess.
 
"Thank you," Dracula offered his arm and Catherine took it reluctantly. She showed him every room in the house but the bedrooms; it wasn't right for a woman to show a man a bedroom away.
 
"Catherine, you have a great house." Dracula spoke to her lightly as Grayson walked up the steps to stand with them.
 
"Catherine, the people are bored. Why not sing them your new song?" Grayson asked.
"Great!" Catherine excused herself and left grateful for the reprieve of having to be around someone held in such high honors.
 
"Who invited you?" Grayson asked Dracula.
 
"I did." Dracula answered nonplussed. "You have changed since your daughters birth. Anyone who is human and makes a wrong comment to her you've killed. Why?"
 
"I'm protecting her."
 
"That is not how you protect a child."
 
"SHE IS NOT A CHILD!" Grayson yelled and thanked the stars nobody could hear over the voices and music, and then Grayson spun around and walked away.
 
Grayson walked down the steps straight to the band that was playing for Catherine's party. He watched as Catherine walk for the stage he had set up, and when she reached the stair he cut off the band. Everyone looked up before spotting Catherine on stage. Silently she cleared her throat, and chased away her nervousness of singing in front of such a large crowd.
 
"I want to thank you all for coming. I haven't really sung in front of so many people before, but I'll give it a shot." Catherine waited as the lamps were dimmed till only one was lit brightly next to her. The band started up and she began to sing; a beautiful, yet sad melody that floated gently in the air.
 
As she closed the room was silent for moment then applause filled the room. Dracula stood in the back with Adrian at his side. "Why did we come here father?" Adrian asked.
 
"There is something special about that girl." Dracula answered as he watched Catherine helped off stage by her father." Grayson knows it too. The shameful thing is how he is handling it."
 
Grayson turned to glance at them cautiously before leading his daughter away to melt in with the other dancers as the music picked up and filled the air with melody of a waltz. The dancers twirled around with their partners carelessly; unaware of the pair of eyes that measured their every move through a side window.
 
Dracula turned and caught sight of their watched and quickly left the castle, Adrian close behind him.
 
"We'll find out!" Adrian said as he sat in the driver's seat of the carriage.
 
"Hopefully before D gets to him." Dracula answered as he got in the carriage. “There is just no way of knowing for sure if she is just odd because of her bloodline, or if she'll carry on her mother's destiny. Time is running out Adrian. We must find Anathros!”