Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ Untold Knight ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Catherine carefully laid her father in his tomb, and closed the lid with little effort as the sun rose to its height in the sky. She had taken Lamiae tossed her body off in a nearby river in hopes the remains would be taken care of by wild predators. Her father on the other hand still had a chance of his soul finding its way back to his body, and so the stone coffin in her room was the most ideal place for him to reawaken.
 
Quickly saddling her mount she rushed off out the gates after the hunter. `How do I draw him to me?' She tossed the thought over in her mind as a thought suddenly occurred to her. “I may only be half vampire, but I can still draw him too me with that half!”
 
Catherine glanced around her mentally taking note of each village near her that the hunter may seek out to rest in. Nicar was too self absorbed to look for help if she caused issues to arise, and the others wouldn't notice because of the high populations.
Painfully she felt her spirit pull away from her body, and rush down the road to a peaceful village just down the road. The hunter was just entering through the gates as she returned to her body with a wave of relief.
 
Glancing toward the sun, and then down the road she mentally ran over what she knew of the village she'd seen him enter. It was small, and very little occurred so that if she cause problems it would become a big deal quite rapidly. With tightly control rage she urged her mount into the woods to save on time.
 
___(M_M)__
 
D found him self traveling along at a fairly decent pace, and allowed it to set its own pace for awhile. "Where are we headed D?" The parasite in his hand questioned looking through his eyes. "Not there again! I hate that place. Everybody knows you and the women there are . . ." Lefty thought a minute. “On second thought, let's go and relax.”
 
"I'm not going there for that type of reason. I. . ." D paused feeling the heat of the sun. “ . . . Need to rest." Lefty searched over D's body knowing the heat shouldn't be getting to him yet because he had rested before going after Grayson. Sure enough Lefty found a large gouge in D's side; a wound that wasn't healing as nearly as quickly as it should have been.
 
"Fine, be a party pooper..." The creature persisted on annoying him a little. "... Some of the women might even give you blood though." D clenched his tightly around the reins of his mount, and dug his nails into his hand to silence the creature.
 
___(M_M)__
 
Catherine had found an old locked up castle to stay in while she stayed near the village. She came to terms with the fact she'd have to give in to her blood lust in order to attract the hunter.
 
Walking through the streets silently she kept an eye out for potential prey. As she was about to give up for the night she spotted a younger looking woman who stood watering plants while humming to her self as she went down the street.
 
Increasing her pace she grabbed the woman around the neck and yanked her back into a side alley. “Stay quiet or I'll kill you.”
 
"Please don't kill me..." Pleaded the woman.
 
"Shut up!" demanded Catherine. I've hid that part of me for so long I can't really use it! Catherine yelled at herself mentally. "I'll let you live..." Catherine thought for a minute about her options. A kidnapping will do good enough to get him to come to me. "...But you have to come with me."
 
"Anything but don't kill me." The woman oddly didn't seem frightened anymore, and followed without protest.
 
Catherine was opening the door to the ruins of the castle when her enhanced hearing picked up the sound of the horse riding into the town. She had been listening for it, and planned to kill several people to make more of a panic. If she couldn't kill one though, how was she going to kill several?
 
Catherine motioned for the woman to enter the castle and closed it on her latching it tightly. She hadn't entered her self because she wanted to monitor what was going on when the hunter was informed of the situation. Whether he'd come after her or refuse and make her take more people.
 
___(M_M)__
 
Inside the castle the woman explored every room she could get into. Soon she came upon the one the half-breed was currently staying in. Plopping down she proceeded to come out the constant snarls that seemed never-ending.
"That ignorant half-breed." The woman growled dropping the brush back down to the table. "She knows not of who I am." Quickly looking around the room she spotted Catherine's black diamond, and picked it up carefully inspecting it. Flipping in over several time in disbelief she ran her thumb over the gems surface again. "It's impossible! It can't be!”
She ran down to the main doors with the gem clutch in her hands. When she tried to open the doors though she found it jammed from the outside and cursed lowly. Deciding it was useless she sat down to rest, and wait for the half-breed to return.
 
___(M_M)__
 
Catherine rode her mare into town and stabled it next to a horse she hadn't seen prior to the hunter's arrival. The noise of the inn echoes in her ears almost unbearably. She wasn't used to this level of noise since the castle was normally quite enough you could hear conversation several rooms down the hall.
 
Approaching the counter of the chosen bar a drunk grabbed her arm and pulled her into his lap. Quickly jumping up and spinning around she firmly planted her heel in his face sending him backward into a wall. Her cloak fell away revealing her face momentarily before she pulled it back up.
 
Catherine looked about and grinned lightly upon seeing them all shaking in fear. A couple of them picked up guns and others things near to them to defend themselves. The bartender picked up a gun and shot at her first. With a swift move Catherine dodged the flimsy bullet and listened to the satisfying yelp of someone behind her. "Get out of my inn half-breed!" Yelled the manager lifting a cross. Catherine approached the man and looked in disbelief from the man to the cross and back again.
 
"Do you think he'll protect you from me!" Catherine yelled outraged. "He didn't protect my mother!" She spun around to the middle of the room. "If he cared so much for your people he wouldn't have made us to drink from your blood! He wouldn't of let me come here and do what I have done!"
 
She glanced around again as several people cleared out the door dragging their wounded behind them. Quickly turning to the sound of feet coming down the steps she spotted the edge of hunter's cloak.
 
"Sir! Please help us!" Yelled the manager running to the stairs cutting the hunter off. D looked at the man and then to the people who were trembling in fear of something. The source of their fear was unseen, as he looked each one over carefully.
 
"Defend you from what?" D asked politely.
 
"That!" the manager swung around pointing a finger to where Catherine had once stood. "I don't understand she was just here. Someone like you; only more dangerous to us."
 
The bar door swung open a man panic stricken ran in. "My girlfriend is gone!"
 
"It was that half-breed!" Accused the bartender.
 
"I found this by the flowers she was watering." He held up a piece of paper in slightly trembling hands, and brushed as stray hair from his eyes. D carefully took it and looked at it. It was a small painted picture of Grayson.
 
"Do you know who it was?" The manager asked D nervously.
 
"I have a suspect." D answered heading for a corner table while growling inwardly with frustration.
 
“I'm sure your suspect is correct." Answered Catherine to herself from outside a window of the inn. Backing up slow she froze as something wrap itself tightly around her leg. "What the . . ." Catherine looked down, pushing her cloak aside, and saw a little boy holding on tightly to her leg. A man running up the street yelling something she couldn't understand was gaining on her quickly, and she covered t the boy in her cloak she waited for the man to make it to her.
 
The man was a butcher and her ran straight up to her with a large butcher knife in one hand. "Did you see a little boy run past here?" He asked panting from his run. Catherine lifted her arm and pointed into the inn. "Thanks." He charged into the inn, and began throwing tables about looking for the kid until the hunter pinned him to the ground.
 
"What are you doing Dolton?" Asked the manager looking over the mess.
 
"A boy ran in here and I'm going to find and kill him! He's a damn thief!"
 
"Who told you this?" Asked D releasing the man.
"A woman in a cloak. Um... long black hair, really muscular for a woman from what I could see..." Dalton informed them. D quickly walked outside and caught a glimpse of a horse galloping away with a little boy on the back waving at him.
 
"One point for anger struck woman, zero for hunter." Chuckled the parasite in his hand.
 
___(M_M)__
 
The doors to the castle burst opened and Catherine walked in collapsing face first into the dusty old couch. The strange woman sat in a chair across from her watching the little boy run around eating travel rations Catherine had given him, but then quickly turned her thoughts back to that half-breed across from her. "Perhaps you can answer me a question." Catherine turned her head so she could watch the woman as she talked. "First off my name is Anathros. Second, where did you get this?" Anathros held up the diamond dangling it from its chain.
 
"It. .wa. . . ma. . . m. . .ers." Catherine yawned slaughtering speak.
 
"What?" The strange woman asked with a touch of impatience.
 
"It was my mothers." Catherine repeated trying not to yawn again.
 
"Hold on a sec, and let me get this straight. Are you telling me your mother was Kasha Lang?"
 
"Huh?" Catherine sat up on the couch. "Yeah, I think that was what the guardian said her name was."
 
"How about your father's?"
 
"Count Grayson of the third of the house of Raeven."
 
"So you are Catherine Raeven?"
 
“Of course I am! Who else would I be?” Catherine tried to suppress her annoyance as she grabbed the diamond from Anathros' hand.
 
Anathros stood up slowly and walked over to a window to gaze out at the full moon.
 
"First of all your mother's name was indeed Kasha Lang. She was a wonderful woman.” Anathros turned around holding out a red diamond the same size as the black. "These are what brought your mother and I together so long ago. These are a blessing, and curse.” She held out the gem to Catherine. "This one is yours. Your mother's and my bags got mixed up when we went our separate ways." Catherine reluctantly traded diamonds with the strange woman. She knew the red diamond was more expensive than the black one. "You'll also find that possessing that one it will easier to use your power..."
 
“Thank you, I guess.”