Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ Untold Knight ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
D found himself struggling against exhaustion as he tried to keep pace with Ryu great stamina and speed. The strange man soon tired of having to slow down every now and then for D to keep up and reached back grabbing the half-breed’s wrist to help pull him along. Only once they entered the camp did he release his grip on the half-breed.


"Anathros he's catching up." Ryu spoke evenly.

"Who?" Panted D leaning over and placing his hands on his knees for balance while he caught his breath.

"Yes, that is what I'd like to know." Catherine walked up behind Anathros. "You've been saying that we need to leave, but you won't tell me who’s coming."

"Well," Anathros crossed her arms and looked North. "It's too late to run. Shall we fight?" Drawing her sword she watch as a carriage pulled by four white horses drove into view.

D groaned as he caught sight of his half brother holding the reins. “Still driving for him huh?”

"Like you have much room to speak." Adrian hissed back while trying to shake his white mane out of his cloak. No sooner had he freed each strand he dismounted from his seat and walked up to Catherine. "I'm sorry about your father."

Catherine groaned in pure disbelief that he was truly sorry. Anathros covered her mouth as she started on another fit of chuckles. "What is so funny?" Adrian asked standing ramrod straight.

"You're still traveling with your father?" Anathros asked while trying to control her laughter. "How old are you now? Seven, eight, thousand years old?

"Laugh while you can." The door to the carriage flew open caught on the light breeze as Dracula stepped out.

"Hello Royal pain in my ass." Anathros said mocking him with a bow.

"What is her power?" Dracula asked looking straight into Catherine's eyes. She found herself trying desperately to look away but unable to.

"What do think it is?" Anathros walked over to Catherine and grabbed her arm pulling her into the forest away from the King of Vampires.

"Damn it! She is too damn stubborn." Adrian cursed lowly. "If she'd only listen. She's only putting Catherine into more trouble."

"Calm down! For Almighty's sake." Ryu growled thoroughly annoyed with the duo and their belief in knowing everything. "Catherine can defend herself. She's bonded with the diamond and has excellent control over it. If anything happen Anathros and I will help her. You are meddling in affairs that are not your own!"

"Kinda like that Nekoko girl?" Dracula asked.

"Screw you she was young then," Ryu was well annoyed at the creature of the night before him. 'I'll show you.' Ryu though as he jumped up into the air and brought his swords down over the straps that held the mounts to the carriage. "Feltite!" Ryu yelled. The beasts scattered as Adrian ran after them. "Leave us alone! The only thing you want to do to our people is imprison us!" Ryu shouted over his shoulder as caught hold of Anathros' and Catherine's mounts, and took off into the woods after them.

(M&M)

"Are you sure he'll be okay?" Catherine asked Anathros as they slowed.

"When I was chosen by the diamond I'm bonded with, I took a oath. One to protect others that carried these thing." Anathros stated rubbing the gem embedded visibly in her chest. "If I didn't think he'd be okay, or had the slightest doubt... I wouldn't have left like I had."

"She's right you know." Ryu spoke as he broke through the dense brush of the woods with the horses in tow. "With my powers I can move fast and smoothly like the water element I represent. With each element comes a special ability that we demonstrate from the time we are born. I can run really fast. Anathros can morph objects and. . ."

"And your mother could move things with her mind. As well as control fire." Anathros finished quietly.

"How did my mother become worthy of this power?" Catherine asked.

"She fell in love with a vampire who was a brutal killer and changed him." Anathros answered. "She loved him so much that when the village she lived in got the chance to kill him she saved him. Even though he still was rude, mean, and a total blood thirsty killer. She fed him and loved him. He change with time and became kind and gentle."

"By accomplishing such a feat and never giving up on him she earned the fire element from the Guardian of Elements." Ryu looked into Catherine's eyes and watch as the fire within her eyes danced about wildly."She earned fire because within she had one of her own. The fire of love, passion, and ability."

"How many of us are out there. . . in this world?" Catherine looked up to the sky with a sorrowful expression.

"Fire, air, earth, water, darkness, light, life, and death..." Ryu explained evenly.

"Life and death aren't elements!" Catherine yelled. “They’re laws for the living.”

"They are though." Anathros responded. "At least to the Guardian they are. That is where we’ll head next." Anathros tilted her head in thought. "What is your special ability?"

"Getting people killed." Catherine stood up and walked away. AS Ryu stood to follow Anathros lightly grabbed his arm, and shook her head. With a frustrated sigh he sat back down and put himself into a light trance.

"Elemental?” Life and Death? What the hell type of nuts am I traveling with?" Catherine growled while skipping stones across a nearby lake. "Why is does almighty Dracula wants me to travel with him? Almighty damn them all!" She threw a stone with all her strength and lost her balance in the process only to fall into the icy water. Her pack she carried with her at all times became entangled between her feet and was weighing her down. Crossing her arms over her chest and she didn't struggle as she was dragged into the dark depths. 'Like a little bit of water is going to kill me. . .' Catherine thought to herself. 'What is that?' Catherine's feet touched the bottom of the lake. She could see a glow coming from distance in what seemed to be an underwater cavern. Reaching down to untangle her feet she slowly made her way through the water relying on her keen sight to keep from running into any stone pillars that hid in the water. 'What is it?' Catherine thought to herself as she swam into the cave.

It seemed endless as she slowly found herself running out of air. Spotting an air pocket above her a broke the surface breathing heavily. "That's better." She panted quietly. "Huh?" The room was lit brightly with a multi-colored glow. Quickly pulling herself up onto the sold shelf she cautiously approached the area from where the light was coming from. Her eyes squinted as she saw a gem the size of hers.

"Great another elemental!" She swung around and sat down in front of it growling angrily.

"Not just an elemental child." Looking up Catherine spotted the old man standing silently in a shadowed corner. His skin was wrinkled badly with age, but he stood proud even as his bald head reflected the bright light the stone gave off. The staff he held seemed pointless even as she examined him trying to determine an age.

"What are you?" Catherine asked curiously as she stood up.

"I'm the wizard Lowen; keeper of the element of Life" He took a step closer, and she reflexively dropped into a fighting stance. "I'm not going to hurt you. I'm going to test you. To see if you can handle the element of life."

"I really don't need another element. Carrying around the Element of Fire is bad enough at it is. Since I got it I haven't been able to get it to leave me alone." Catherine glanced back at the gem, and dropped her fighting stance. "Can it bring people back from the dead?" The man nodded slowly. "Go ahead and test me then. It might be of use to me after all."

He nodded again and she felt as if the entire room had begun to spin. There was a bright glow behind her eyes that she couldn’t explain as she clutched at her face trying to make it go away. Abruptly the sensation left leaving her mildly confused, and feeling tired.

"Now wasn't that easy?" He walked forward and took the gem from the pedestal it sat on to hand it to her. "It's yours, and I can now rest in peace."

"Are you telling me this thing has been keeping you alive?”

"Yes, I've been alive for 900 years. You’re a damphire though so either way you'd be alive for a long time." He stopped, and looked at her. "Take this too." He threw his staff at her. She caught it deftly in her left hand. "It will help you along your way; of that I'm sure."

Catherine smiled and nodded her thanks before running back to the water and jumping in.

(M#M)

"Well, when are we going to see Catherine again?" Ryu asked as he and Anathros ran through the forest. "She's been gone for hours." Ryu stopped when he saw Dracula's carriage moving along side them. "Great the fools are back. They think they know everything when they know nothing!"

"Well right now they can help us find Catherine. If she dies then we have to wait another century to gain a new source of power!" Anathros grabbed his arm and ran for the carriage.

"Hello! Anybody alive? Catherine has to be the biggest..." Anathros ran into D falling on top of him. Chuckling nervously she quickly pushed away onto her own feet.

Ryu wanted to laugh and tease Anathros but found himself pressed by time. "Have you seen Catherine?"

"No, none of us have." D walked over to his mount but it danced away from him nervously.

"You aren't going anywhere until we find her!" Yelled Ryu as sent a large wave of water from the lake behind him crashing down on D. "We’re going to find her, and you’re-" Ryu stopped in mid-sentence when Catherine leapt out of the water, and shook out her hair hurridly. "Where have you been?"

"Swimming." Catherine glanced around and saw Adrian holding onto a grazing mount from the carriage. "Got to go!" Catherine jumped onto the horses back and took the reins from Adrian. Spurring the horse she took off with Ryu running right behind her.

D quickly mounted to follow in pursuit.

"Not so fast!" Anathros jumped up behind D, and grabbed his waist. D spurred the beast beneath and took off again. Adrian sighed and quickly took up the reins from the carriage to follow at a slower pace.

'I have to get home before they find out.' Catherine felt the rebellious tear slide down her cheek as she though of her father. ‘Soon I'll be able to hear it again.’ Catherine looked back and sighed as she saw Ryu still following her. "Will you just go away?" Ryu smiled as he jumped up behind her. He gently but quickly wrapped his arms around her waist.

Battle instinct kicked in and she elbowed him in the ribs knocking him off the horse to unmercifully hard ground. He lay on there half stunned wondering what he did to deserve that where he heard the rest coming running out of the forest.

Adrian, and Dracula rode up to him on separate mount, having left the carriage behind, while D and Anathros road together. Adrian leaned down and grabbed Ryu's hand pulling him up behind him as they rode after Catherine.

"Damn that horse is fast!" Called out Anathros breaking the silence.