Vandread Fan Fiction ❯ What do you think? ❯ Undying Loyalty? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Vandread is owned in it's entirety by Gonzo. Although personally, I think I could've done a much better job. ^_^
Chapter 5: Undying loyalty?
 
Dita clicked the “diagnosis” button in hopes that it would tell her what was wrong with Hibiki. Unfortunately, it wasn't going to be that easy.
^Password^
“Ummm… hmmm… what would doctor's password be?” Dita thought for a bit as she tried to guess what the enigmatic doctor password was. This is hard… Mr. Doctor doesn't reveal much about himself…” “Ahah! I bet I know!” She typed in “interesting”.
^Access denied^
“Wow, I'm surprised; I thought that would be it for sure!” “What else would Mr. Doctor have as a password?” This turned out to be an extremely hard task for Dita as she soon realized that, unlike her, the doctor was a very logical mind and would not follow her normal process of picking a password (which was picking something dear to her heart). Dita thought and thought but she just couldn't seem to get it right. She tried several other answers such as “Parfait”, “Vandread”, and “Paiway”, but nothing seemed to work.
“Oh, I just don't know!” Dita sighed in frustrated defeat. “I guess I'm just not smart enough to figure things like this out by myself” she said sadly. “I would always ask Parfait to help me out in situations like this, but now that no one's here…”
She looked around, hoping against hope that someone, anyone, would be there to help her, but all she saw was an empty room, quiet save for the labored breathing of Hibiki on the bed.
“I mustn't give up!” “Mr. Alien is counting on me!” She actually blushed a bit at her own words. “Mr. Alien is counting on me…” She sighed happily at this trust Hibiki had given her, even if he wasn't conscious to give it. “I must concentrate!” “If Mr. Doctor's thinking is opposite of mine, and mine is picking something close to me, then…” “Bingo!”
She typed in “Harvest”
^Access granted^
“Yay, I did it, I did it!” Dita squealed jubilantly as she hopped up and down in joy. “I bet Mr. Alien will be so proud of me!” she giggled, happy that she could help Hibiki. “Now all I have to do is…” She paused as she realized she had no clue. “Well let's just ask Mr. Computer!” Dita looked at the screen in hopes of finding out what had caused Hibiki so much pain. “Oh… who could have done this to poor Mr. Alien?” “I know he gets mad at people a lot, but who would try and hurt him?” She actually made an angry face. “Mr. Alien tries so hard to fight off the bad aliens and then someone repays him by making him sick!” “Whoever it is, I'll make sure to tell the Captain, and they'll be in big trouble!” A sudden beep from the computer broke her thoughts.
^Please enter symptoms of patient^
“Umm… let's see… Mr. Alien's face is twitching… he seems to be in pain… sweating… and let's check his pulse…” She had seen Paiway do this several times with other injured members of the Nirvana, so she was fairly proficient at it. “Oh my, it's very fast!” She struggled to keep her self-control as she typed that in too. Just about the only thoughts going through her head was how she could get her “Mr. Alien” back on his feet again.
^Please wait while confirming status of patient^
Dita went back over to Hibiki's side and pulled a towel out of a medical drawer. “It's okay Mr. Alien, you've got me taking care of you, so you'll be alright!” she told him assuringly as she began to rub his forehead, trying to cool him down.
^Additional info required for complete analysis^ ^Does the patient seem flushed?^
In fact Hibiki did have a slight patch of red under his eyes. Dita clicked the “yes” button.
^Patient has spasmodic occurrences in patient's face, correct?^ Once again, Dita clicked “yes”.
^Please enter time between occurrences^ Dita stayed by Hibiki for one minute. In that time she counted twelve times that Hibiki's head gave a little lurch. “Umm… sixty divided by twelve is… five, right?” She entered that into the computer.
^Please wait while confirming status and computing resulting solution to patient's condition^
Dita sighed and sat in a chair she had pulled up beside Hibiki's bed and looked into his face which, surprisingly, appeared to be content save for the occasional twitch. “Oh, Mr. Alien, what I wouldn't do for you…” She began to feel sleepy (watching over someone's life can really take it out of you) and her eyelids began to droop. “No… I must stay awake in case something happens to him…” But then she thought how wonderful it might be to snuggle up to him and how comfy the bed might be… “I'm sure he'll be alright, I've done a good job so far…” “Besides, he'll never know… This will be my little secret… “Just one time…: I can be with him and him alone for just one time…” She couldn't resist the thought of it anymore. Sighing with the feeling of complete peace and happiness that can only be obtained by being close to the one you love, she curled up next to her “Mr. Alien”. Feeling a little guilty that she was taking advantage of Hibiki's inability to move by himself, she took his arm and wrapped it around her shoulders. As she drifted off to sleep, her last thoughts were how incredibly happy she was with Hibiki…
 
Hibiki's eyes slowly opened. He began to look around. Unfortunately, it didn't do him much good. No matter which way he looked all he could see was red. His first thought was that he was inside the Pyxis and it had been completely turned red by the Harvester's beam. He suddenly became aware that he could not feel his right arm. “Aaah, what…happened?” “Why is my arm numb?” “I hope it's not injured…” “Uhh… I gotta get going… Who knows when the Harvesters could attack…?” He was suddenly cut off as the rest of his senses regained most of their normality. “Holy… Aaah… my stomach…” It hurt Hibiki to talk, so he decided not to. “What's going on… and…Ugh!” “GOD, I've never felt like this before…”
Then Hibiki remembered about his dream with the mysterious voice. “It's strange… that dream… I don't think the Pyxis was responsible… It wasn't blue, and the voice that I heard… didn't sound like it normally would…” Hibiki groaned, his stomach felt like it was going to split open. “I don't think I can move my arm…” As he began to tell his arm to try and move he smelled something. “Mmm… that smells nice… not like a food “smells nice” which would make me want to eat whatever it was… no this probably isn't a food item at all Unfortunately for him, his stomach began to pain him twofold at the thought of consuming food. “Ouch! This sucks!” By this time his arm had started to move around, exploring its area. “Hmm… It appears to be on a soft surface, yet I can tell that underneath it, there are two hard bumps about the size of my hand…” Suddenly Hibiki had a case of déjà vu. When he first met Dita, he had experienced something similar to this…
 
(flashback)
 
Hibiki woke up and found the strangest thing staring him in the face. It was somewhat conical in shape, and was completely black in color. “Huh, what's this?” he asked himself as he squeezed it to test how soft it was. Then he had looked up to see that it was attached to a hideous creature. “Aaah, it's a monster!” He tried to get up so he could defend himself when the “creature” said “W-wait!” and began to take of its helmet. He looked into Dita's eyes for the first time then and, strangely enough, just for that second, his fear of this unknown being was completely melted away.
 
(flashback end)
 
“It's strange… when I looked into her eyes… I felt like that's where I belonged…” “I felt as if I could never leave the sparkling blueness of her gaze peering into mine.” “Just for that second, and hardly even that, I just wanted to stay with her and make sure that no harm would ever befall that shining and ultimately captivating stare of hers…”
Although Dita had not been put off by this incident, he soon found that many of the other crewmembers would respond with a good, hard, slap in the face if it ever occurred with them.
 
Hibiki was quite prepared to feel his cheek start to sting, when he realized that this was not what he had originally thought. The two bumps were almost rectangular in shape and were not as, well, bulbous, as were those strange objects on women's chests. He gave a sigh of relief as he confirmed that these, were most certainly NOT them. Seeing as how there was no danger of needing an ice pack for the rest of the day, he started to move his hand across them to find out just what they were.
 
“Argh, I wish I could see what the hell it is I'm touching, but I can't even turn my head for some reason.” “Maybe I can figure it out if I just use my hand to feel it…” Hibiki drew a mental picture as he moved his hand around the unknown objects. “Okay, so there's two rectangular hill-like thingies, and it seems like there's some sort of small valley in between them alright what else?” He moved his hand to what he thought was down in effort to gain more knowledge about this strange surface. “Hmm… it seems to be quite flat from here on down andwhat's this?” “In the middle of the entire thing, but below the hills is a long thin indention…” As he went further down, he noticed that it began to curve outwards again, giving it an hourglass shaped figure. “Hmm…I'd better go back up to be sure…” Hibiki did so several times for good measure, and the image in his brain so far was that of an hourglass-like shape with two rectangular mounds in the north-east and north-west corners. “That's not good enough; I'll have to go down further…” As Hibiki began his descent down, he was stopped by a sound, or rather, a voice. “Mr… Alien… don't... leave…me” “I'm… so... lonely…” a soft voice pleaded.
Hibiki practically choked on his own heart as the truth hit him repeatedly and without mercy. “Wait! “Red all around?” “Nice smells?” “Hourglass-like shape with two square mounds in the NE and NW corners? He gave an involuntary gulp. “MR. ALIEN?” “Oh no, it's… then that means…I'm… I'm in bed with… with…”
He screamed.
 
Dita blinked. Where was she? “Oh look, there's Mr. Alien!” She started running towards him in hopes of giving him a nice, big hug to celebrate him getting better. Hibiki looked up and saw her running to him. He shook his head pityingly. “Mr. Alien, what's wrong?” “Aren't you happy to see me?”
“Pfft! Since when have I ever been glad to see you?”
Dita stopped dead in her tracks. “Huh? What... do you mean?
“Go away Dita!”
Dita gasped “Mi… Misty?”
“Leave US alone!” Misty appeared standing beside Hibiki. Dita watched in horror as she gave a passionate kiss to Hibiki on the lips. And… And he returned it with much enthusiasm!
“Mr… Alien…?”
“Like Misty said, go away and leave us alone!”
“But… I… Mr. Alien… I just wanted to see if you were alright…”
“Well, as you can see, without you I'm perfectly fine!” Hibiki shouted at the poor girl.
“Besides, his NAME is Hibiki, right Hibiki?” Misty added as she began to wrap herself around him.
“Mmm… that's right, love.”
Dita was on the verge of tears. “Lo…love?”
“Yeah, you silly girl, LOVE!” Hibiki spat at her. “Misty and I will be very happy together, especially without you!”
Dita couldn't believe how harsh her “Mr. Alien” was being towards her. “But… I… I thought that…”
“You idiot!” “Why would he WANT to be you?” “You're stupid and clumsy, and always obsessed with aliens!” “I don't know how anyone can be with you for ten seconds without wanting to commit suicide!” Misty insulted her as best she could, making sure to continue the tears that were now running freely down Dita's face.
“No one LIKES you, so you should just go away!”
“I'm… I'm…sorry… I… di… didn't mean to…” Dita tried to finish but was interrupted by Hibiki.
“I'm… I'm… I'm…” he said mockingly “I'm so sorry that I'm a stupid girl who can't even finish her stupid sentences!” “Well it doesn't matter, I'm with Misty now, so you can be as dumb and deluded as you want!” “Goodbye, crazy UFO girl!” “I hope someday you meet a guy who will make you very happy, but then again, not really!”
Misty laughed in agreement as the two walked away. “Yeah, can you imagine if she had children?” “That would be the worst day ever in my book!” “I bet they'd be just like her, all crazy and annoying!”
Hibiki laughed also “Well, let's just hope that day never comes!”
 
Dita could hear their laughter fading away as she watched her beloved “Mr. Alien” walk away forever. “Mr. Alien…don't… leave me…” I'm… so lonely without… you…” she sobbed. She couldn't believe he was gone… If anyone was with her at the time they would swear they could actually sense the amount of sadness the poor girl was feeling, without even knowing she was there. “Mr. Alien… I… please… I'll do anything… don't…” “Don't leave me… I lo-lo-lov-ve you…” She sat there crying. Her pretty face was covered in her despair and desperation. She had no one left. “I… I… don't understand…” “Why does everyone keep… leaving me?” “I… I know I'm just a silly girl who's obsessed with aliens… but… I just wanted everyone to smile and not be sad…” “I don't like to see my friends sad…” “All I wanted is for everyone to smile…” “I… I just wanted to take all their pain and worries and use my smile to make it go away…” “I wanted to be like a sponge, and just absorb everyone's hurt…” “It doesn't matter if I'm sad, just as long as others don't feel the same way…” “I know I'm clumsy and stupid, and I always get in the way, but I always felt that if I could just make everyone be happy and feel better about themselves, I had done a good job.” “But now…” “Now I'm truly all alone…” “Please… Mr. Alien” “Give me another chance…” “I'll cook anything you want…” “I'll even call you Hibiki, all the time” “Would that make you happy?” “Please, I'll do anything…” “Just… please… don't leave me all alone…”
 
Dita's eyes were encased in a lake of tears. She had thought that as long as she had him, she could get through this terrible ordeal. Her frail body was trembling with sobs. Her throat hurt, but she didn't care. She had no one left. There was no one who could see this Dita. She could cry as much as she wanted now, and no one would get sad or worried because of it. Yes, that was good. No one else would get sad because of her tears. Even still, she would give anything to have Hibiki back. Anything at all. She was on the verge of collapse due to the dehydrated state her eyes had so mercilessly put her in. The world around her began to get fuzzy. Her already convulsing body began to sway. Dita, however, was unaware of all this. “I'll do anything…” she repeated. “I'll clean your room.” “I'll cook you the yummiest meals you've ever eaten.” “I'll quit following you around” “I won't ever call you Mr. Alien again, unless you want me to…” She was now on the ground and barely coherent. She was about to say something else, presumably another plea for Hibiki to come back; until she heard a scream.
 
Hibiki screamed as he desperately tried to get Dita off of his arm. She suddenly jumped off of the bed, obviously frightened. She wheeled around to get a look at who it was that had saved her from that horrid nightmare. “It was a nightmare, wasn't it?” It, of course was Hibiki.
 
“MR. ALIEN!” she instantly ran to his side and gave him the biggest, warmest hug she could muster. She then wiped her face with her sleeve. She didn't want him to see her crying. “Mr. Alien! Oh, I'm so glad it's you!”
 
Hibiki's first impulse was to say “Get off me, woman” and then try to push her away. But before he could do so, he saw that look in her eyes.
 
(flashback)
 
Everyone was preparing to go off into battle once more against the Harvest. Hibiki was in his partner and was all too ready to, as he put it, “kick some ass”. Adrenaline was pumping through his veins. His senses were at their peak. He was the embodiment of a focused warrior. However, all of that could not have prepared him for the site he saw on his communications screen. It was Dita.
 
“Huh? What do you want?”
 
Dita's eyes were suddenly averted from his as she looked around, a sheepish look on her face. “Umm… I was just wondering… um… after the battle… well… there's something I would like you to do for me…
 
Hibiki didn't have time for this. “Spit it out already!”
 
But that only made her even more nervous. “I want you to promise me that you'll come to my room!” she said all at once.
 
Hibiki couldn't believe this girl! They were going into battle, and that's what she wanted to say? Were all women this weird? “What? That's what you wanted to say?” he yelled at her. “Now is not the time for things like that!”
 
Dita, however, wouldn't budge an inch. “No!” “Promise me!” “Promise me right now!” She had the most insistent and yet desperate look in her eyes that Hibiki was struck dumb. And as if his mouth started to work on its own, he suddenly found himself agreeing! Him! A man! Promising to come to a woman's room to do God knows what! Was he insane? It seemed very likely. But then he saw the look of relief, joy, and gratitude that had attached itself to Dita's face, and he abruptly began to feel like, for the first time, someone thought that he was actually worth something.
 
(flashback end)
 
Dita now had the same look in her eyes as she held on to him. She just looked so happy and, oddly, relieved that she was next to him, he decided to let her have her way, just this once. So, instead, he said “Who else did you think it was?”
 
Dita began to blush.
 
“What a strange girl. First she's happy and now she's embarrassed.” “I'll never understand women.”
 
“It's not that… it's just… I…” Dita stammered as she began to squeeze him more tightly.
 
“Well?” That grip of hers was impressive. Hibiki could feel the pain in his stomach began to hurt even more now that it had additional pressure being placed on it, but still, he allowed it.
 
“It's… It's nothing, I promise!”
She felt bad lying to him, but she didn't want to bother him with her troubles.
 
It's not that I thought you were someone else… I was just so relieved that you were still there beside me… Dita thought to herself as she sighed and began to nuzzle Hibiki's chest.
 
A scary thought hit Hibiki. “ Wait, what is she doing?” Oh shit! Don't tell me she knows I was rubbing her back while she slept!
 
Hibiki really wanted to change the subject. “Whatever… Where am I and what happened to me? And where is the rest of the crew?”
 
Dita was about to explain what she knew and about Mr. Bigvoice when suddenly…
 
^Analysis complete^
Well, I'm sorry that took so long. Thanks are in order to Ezequielhl. You're the only one who has reviewed all of my chapters. So…um… thanks! The next chapter will more than likely be the last. But in it, you'll finally learn what happened to Hibiki and just who is Mr. Bigvoice. Until next time!
 
Review…Review…Review (To anyone who has seen the movie Logan's Run, this is a spoof on “Renew, Renew, Renew”.)
 
Seriously, review.