Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Asturia: Love and Duty ❯ Allen's epilogue ( Chapter 20 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

It had been a long night.

I close the door and walk down the empty hallway. The thick ornate runner all but muffles my footsteps completely. Silence reigns. I glance out one of the high windows in passing. The stars are fading and the skies starting to change color.

Dawn. A new day. A new beginning.

How appropriate. I smile.

It is then that I notice the fatigue in my body. Over the course of the last several hours, my muscles had coiled themselves into tense knots. As I had been so preoccupied before, I had not noticed at all until now. My neck and shoulders are starting to pinch. I stop briefly and stretch, bringing some relief to my aching body. Despite my physical weariness, my mind is hyperactive . I am much too excited for sleep. Besides, I have one last agenda item to perform before I can go to bed and curl up at Eries' side.

Eries. Sometimes it simply amazes me that she is my wife, that such an exquisite creature would find something of worth in me. I remember the first months we were married--I would embrace her suddenly, on impulse, and hold her tightly as if for dear life. When she would ask me why I did so, I would reply that things are too perfect, that she is too perfect, and that I am afraid that it is all a dream, something that will suddenly evaporate into thin air. She would smile and reassure me with the touch of her lips and the pressure of her body against mine that she was not a dream and indeed very much real. Even now, I lie awake at night sometimes and watch her sleep. Her face is angelic when she slumbers, and I am reminded how blessed I am.

I thought that, when we were finally joined in marriage, I understood the depths of my devotion for her. I could not have been more wrong. As the months and years have passed, my feelings for her have grown by leaps and bounds. What I felt for her six years prior was nought but a drop in the bucket compared to my love for her now. And it increases still.

She makes me whole. She completes me. My life had been so wrought with brokenness, it is a miracle that I was not eternally lost to the chasm of anguish in my tumultuous youth. But Vargas pulled me away from that brink and set me upon the road to restoration. For that I am forever in his debt. With my reunion to Serena, I was able to put to rest the last vestiges of my hate and despair and come to terms with my past. But Eries--she is the one who turned me from ever looking backwards to facing the promise of the future. Our bond is so strong now, it is difficult for me to imagine ever having been with anyone else. Or to imagine life without her at my side. I have my duty to the kingdom, but I am bound to her, heart and soul.

I resume my short trek through the building. I descend a flight of stairs and a portrait of Grava Aston hung by the landing catches my eye. I pause briefly to study it.

He is in his prime in this picture. Reasonably fit, with a glossy brown shock of hair on his head. Eries could not have been more than a toddler when it was painted. He wears raiment of burgundy velvet trimmed with fur and a severe expression on his face. It is a sharp contrast to the Grava Aston at the time that we became in-laws. His body had wasted away to a shadow of its former self and not one hair remained on his head. His rich royal garbs were exchanged for dressing gowns and lap blankets. However, he retained that stern front with which he faced the world. I was on the receiving end of his stringency more than once. We differed in our outlooks on life, and it was the source of tension between us before and after my marriage. He thought of me as too lofty in my ideals, devoid of notions of practicality. I felt that he was too ready to compromise his standards and tended to view his subjects more as things than living, breathing human beings. Our differences could have resulted in irreconcilable division were it not for our common interest in Asturia's well-being and our devotion to Eries. For her sake, we did our best not to antagonize the other. It took an effort but, though the relationship never became extremely close, it grew amicable. As I stepped into the role of Prince Consort, I came to have a better understanding of the burdens and circumstances that shaped the character and decisions of Grava Aston. And he, for his part, did his best to be more accepting of my judgment when I acted contrary to his own inclinations. The change in our relationship was not something that I would have thought possible, but I have since learned that, with Eries as the catalyst , many things are possible. And I am so very glad of it. When he finally passed on, there was no lingering bitterness or resentment between us, and I am grateful that, at least for a brief period in time, I had his acceptance.

It has been two years since then. Two years since his title was passed on to me.

Life is indeed strange. There was many a time when I came within a hairsbreadth of losing my life while a bandit out in the swamps. I have been labeled a traitor. I have seen the interior of jail cells, Asturian and Freidan. I have lost track of the number of skirmishes and battles that I have fought in. Though many around me fell, somehow I survived. And, somehow, here I am, King of Asturia.

I am not yet used to this title I bear. And my responsibilities still daunt me. My expertise lies in military tactics and, to a lesser extent, international politicking. Food and water supply, taxation and finance, trade, public health, property maintenance, resource management... all of these are very new realms for me, but they are things which a monarch must have at least a basic understanding. In this respect, Eries has very much been my teacher. It never ceases to astound me how smoothly she takes all these varied responsibilities in stride. Though vexing and frustrating at times, I do my best to follow her example, to act prudently and to think about the range of costs and consequences, large and small.... in short, to act as a model monarch. Once, it was necessary for her to give me a particularly in-depth explanation on Asturia's budget and expenditures, complex material to which I was a complete novice. Understanding came four hours and numerous clarifications later. It was mentally draining for me as student and her as teacher. Afterwards, I asked her why she expended so much time and energy to train me over such a breadth of subjects. After all, she could simply have me focus on the areas where I was already capable thus relieving her energies to address other needs. She replied to me, in all seriousness, that if anything should happen to her, Asturia would become my responsibility, and I had to be prepared for that. I shudder to think of that, of losing her. But she is right... we have the duty that comes with the titles we bear, and so I continue to struggle and learn.

One aspect of my responsibilities that comes more easily than most is the task of introductions. In Asturia, introductions are a very important part of the culture, whether it be between business associates, a maiden's debut into society, or an officer's first greeting to his company. But even outside Asturia, first impressions are critical, especially between representatives of nations. Eries says I have a knack for it, whether I am representing Asturia or acting as facilitator between two delegations for an initial tête-à-tête. Some of that can be attributed to the standards of gentility my mother ingrained into me during my early years. But I also find that there is a very real parallel between these kind of interactions and swordplay.... accurately reading the parties involved, understanding how firm the ground is on which you stand, anticipating surprises. Introductions... they may seem trivial, but they often determine the direction of many steps to follow, for good or bad.

This last mission of mine before this night comes to a conclusion is an introduction, a first meeting between a certain prince and princess.

I arrive at the suite of rooms that is my destination and knock softly. A servant answers and welcomes me into the suite sitting room. After a brief exchange with her, I enter the bedroom and close the door quietly behind me.

My heart warms at the sight of Prince Reuben Fayr Schezar-Aston, heir to the throne of Asturia. My son.

He is fast asleep. He is an adorable sight in his blue and white striped night clothes and his blond hair all in disarray. His covers are partially thrown off his small body. Though I am eager to bring him to this meeting, I am unwilling to awaken him just yet. I settle myself into the chair near his bedside and watch him sleep.

He embodies spring sunshine and clear blue skies, the exhilaration of youth and a kingdom's hopes. He is curious and imaginative, affectionate and precocious. He is the apple of his mother's eye and the delight of his grandfather's twilight years. He has been like pure joy itself to us since he came into our lives four years ago. Balancing the demands of the kingdom and parenting has been a challenge, but Eries and I have been determined that our child experience the affection and attention of his parents and not remember only nurses and servants in his upbringing. So we have made it a point to be the ones to start his day in the morning, to read him tales and tell him stories, to take him exploring through the Royal Park, to partake of meals as a family, and to tuck him in at the end of the day. The nurses protest that they are perfectly capable of caring for their young charge without so much of our involvement, but we would not have it any other way. Parenting comes naturally to Eries. Though Reuben never gets enough of hearing stories of knights and tournaments from me, his character is much more like hers. As soon as he was able to talk, he bombarded us with questions. I was often overwhelmed by the flood of queries. However, Eries welcomed his inquisitiveness and responded to his questions tirelessly. And she would often reply by not simply giving him the answer but by leading him to it. Without consciously intending to, she has already taught him to be aware of the world he has been born into and to be thoughtful of those around him.

Curled up beside Reuben is Oski, whom Lady Alexandra had returned to me shortly after my marriage to Eries. It amazes me how the bear-dog can tolerate sharing a bed with his young master. Though Reuben is a sound sleeper, he is a restless one as well, shifting positions and tossing and turning numerous times over the course of the night. But somehow, Oski always manages to keep from getting nudged out of bed. He is exceedingly loyal to Reuben, protective towards him as he had been for Serena. Oski's eyes snap open at my approach. But he recognizes me immediately and, giving me a muffled "whuff" of acknowledgment, drifts back to sleep again.

I gaze at Reuben in the peaceful stillness. At the age of four, he often reminds me of Sid, my other son, and the way he was the first time we met years ago in Freid. But Sid is no longer a child. He is a young man now, strong and capable, more than fit to lead the dukedom that is his destiny. If I had any doubt about his maturity, I need look no further than the wedding invitation upon my desk. It does make me wonder how quickly time has flown by. It doesn't seem so long ago that I met him for the first time in Freid, and now he has already chosen a bride for himself.

The last time the three of us visited Sid in Freid he introduced us to her: Lady Shuro, a maiden of noble Freidan lineage. Judging purely by appearances, it seemed like a pairing of opposites. She is petite while Sid is tall; her skin dusky and her eyes so dark as to be nearly black while Sid's complexion is fair. She is also seven years Sid's senior. However, there is a definite bond between the two of them, a bond that had developed over years of rebuilding Freid together. Eries approved of Lady Shuro immediately, and I know better than to doubt her judgment. Eries unnerves me sometimes with the accuracy of her uncanny instinct. At that first introduction, Eries said that she sensed that Shuro and Sid were so close it was as if they shared the same soul. Shuro blushed , and Sid laughed quietly, replying that Plactu had said the same exact words a few days earlier.

I wonder sometimes if Sid ever suspects the true bond between him and me. If he has, he has never uttered a word, which is probably the wisest thing for him to do. I am glad that the fashions in Freid are so different from those in Asturia. Now that he is a man, he sports a beard and a mustache, as the previous Duke did. Between that and the differences in our garments, the striking physical similarities between us are blurred. There are times, though, when Reuben calls out "Onii-sama" (older brother) to Sid that I wonder if either realizes the accuracy of those words.

Reuben and Sid are quite devoted to each other. We visit at least once a year, and they always look forward to their meetings with great anticipation. Reuben practically worships his older cousin. When we are together, he shadows Sid and mimics his every action, from his manner of speech to his stride to the food he eats. Perhaps that is not such a bad thing to have him as a role model. Sometimes Reuben will ask Sid to play at sword fighting with him or ask him to spar with me so that he can watch. Sid gives in, but only after repeated requests on Reuben's part. Sid is capable enough with a sword, I know that from the few times that our blades have crossed. However, he is more of a builder than a warrior. Little wonder, considering the whole of his reign has been preoccupied with the reconstruction of Freid. Sid's main legacy will not be that of battles won or lost, but of villages rebuilt, edifices restored, and fields cleared and replanted. Often, during our visits, Eries and Sid will sit and discuss those concerns unique to monarchs trying to ensure the happiness of their people. Reuben, pretending to be part of the conversation, lingers at their feet, and tries to understand their dialogue. It warms my heart to see that trio of people so dear to me gathered together, and it also makes me believe that hope in our future is not unfounded.

It is time to go. Calling his name softly, I give Reuben's shoulder a gentle shake.

"Reuben, wake up," I prod.

Reuben stirs and rolls over. He opens his bright blue eyes to regard me sleepily.

"Good morning, Father," he says groggily. He is slow to awaken, but that is not surprising given this early hour.

"Reuben, you have to get up. There is a young lady who has just arrived. You have to go meet her."

Reuben all but bursts out from under the covers as he bolts upright. "Is it Minsun?!" he asks excitedly.

I chuckle a little. Van and Hitomi's daughter certainly has our son wrapped around her little finger. Not that Eries and I mind. Eries and Hitomi sometimes joke, though there is an undercurrent of seriousness, about our children strengthening our kingdoms' bond with a marital alliance. The raven-haired, green eyed little girl is quite captivating. The first time they met was when Reuben was two years old during a trip to Fanelia. Despite the age difference, the children struck up an immediate rapport and were inseparable. For a week, they chattered and played pretend games and played pranks on Merle, who, even after her marriage to a Fanelian artisan of means, continues to act as Minsun's nurse. Though Reuben is not fussy by nature and has always been remarkably well behaved even at that early age, he threw a rare tantrum when he had to leave his little friend and cried the entire way home. The only consolation we could offer him was that we told him he could exchange pictures and messages by post with Minsun until they next met. I have no doubt that his aptitude in reading and writing was spurred by his desire to communicate with his distant friend. Minsun is definitely his favorite visitor to the palace, even more so than Sid.

"No, it's not Minsun. Not this time, at least."

Disappointment flashes briefly across his face, but is quickly replaced by curiosity. Reuben is a sociable child, always eager to meet newcomers. He never tires of the continuous stream of people and beastmen that pass through the palace.

"Who is it then?"

"A princess. And she's waiting to meet you. Shall we?" Taking a crocheted throw from the foot of the bed, I wrap him up and scoop him into my arms in one swift, smooth motion. The movement awakens Oski, who, after giving himself a vigorous shake, hops down to the floor to accompany us.

"Wait! Father!" Reuben squirms about in my arms as I head towards the door. "I'm not dressed yet!"

"You're fine just as you are, Reuben."

"But... but... Mother says you always have to make a good impression when you're meeting new people. I can't meet her in my nightshirt!"

I smile reassuringly at Reuben. He is understandably distressed. "Your mother is right, Reuben. But just this once. This time is special." I tousle his hair. Confused, Reuben silently puzzles over this impending meeting.

He will find out soon enough.

A couple of minutes later, we exit the suite, minus Oski. The bear-dog is none too pleased at being left behind. We are obliged to have Reuben's nurse hold him by the collar to prevent him from following us out into the hallway. He whines at us reproachfully. But there will be another time.

Reuben drifts into a doze in my arms. I hold his precious weight close. Reuben dearly loves to be held, and I'm more than eager to indulge him. Perhaps I do spoil him in that respect, but a day will come when he will decide that he is too old to be carried. I know I will miss cuddling his warmth next to me, and so I hold him every chance I get.

I reach the staircase and hear the sounds of voices drifting up the stairwell. It is one of the guards on duty conversing with Kevin.

Or rather, I should say, Knight Caeli Kevin Nickels.

My marriage to Eries and ascension to Prince Consort created a vacancy in the ranks of the Knight Caeli. Shortly after our honeymoon, a tournament was held to determine who my successor would be. The contest lasted a week and attracted scores of swordsmen from all over the kingdom. Competition was fierce and kept the spectators riveted. And when the final duel was concluded, the winner that emerged victorious was Kevin.

It was a completely unexpected outcome. Kevin was a newcomer, completely unknown, fresh out of the Academy. Yet he displayed a level of swordsmanship that surpassed his more seasoned opponents. Everyone was amazed by his performance, but I do not believe anyone was more surprised than Kevin himself. However, I, as his mentor, can attest that the skill that he exhibited in the arena was indeed his own and not due to some fluke.

The connection we shared as teacher and student was fuel for many a conversation once he was knighted. Not that there was anything I could have done to control the tournament's outcome, but all found it noteworthy that my replacement was a favorite pupil of mine. Equally talked about was the striking differences between Kevin and myself. I had been born to the prestige of the nobility while Kevin's origins were much humbler and less privileged. We are of the same height and build, but there are physical similarities end. My fair skin and blonde hair contrasts sharply with Kevin's swarthy complexion and short cap of tight dark curls.

Despite that, I consider him almost a son. In many ways, his life mirrors my own much more than Sid's or backgrounds Reuben's. That might seem odd as we come from vastly different castes. However, both of us experienced similar struggles. A childhood trying to compensate for a missing parent, and struggling to fill the brokenness in our families only to lose it all in a sudden fell swoop. And all the while resentment growing against that absentee father.

I remember when I met him. Kevin was a kind of charity student at the Academy. Orphaned and alone after Zaibach's Enhanced Fortune Soldiers attack, Kevin was destitute. He did not have the means to pay the academy fees, but his talents were so extraordinary that he was immediately admitted and his tuition waived. Watching him for the first time, I could see why he had been admitted. He was lithe as a cat and quick on his feet. His own natural talents had been honed by months of struggling for survival on the streets of Palas. As a result, he was leaps and bounds ahead of the other students who learned swordplay under significantly less intense conditions. His technique was remarkable for his age. His attitude was equally remarkable, though not in a positive context. He did not participate in the camaraderie that the Academy endeavors to foster in its pupils. While all the other boys would cluster into noisy groups between training sessions and chores, Kevin would keep strictly to himself. Anyone who attempted to get through his barriers was coldly rebuffed.

The other instructors were not particularly pleased with Kevin's iciness; teamwork is crucial to the success of the military and learning to get along with others is a necessity. However, despite his sullenness, his progress was more than rapid enough to satisfy their demands, and after one or two unsuccessful tries to draw Kevin out of his shell, the other instructors simply let him be. But I could not. The bitterness which consumed him with all too familiar, and I saw in that dark, troubled youth, none other than my eleven-year-old self.

He was a handful, right from the start. Taciturn, moody, sometimes vicious. I had my work cut out for me. I almost regretted my decision as soon as I acted upon it. But Vargas had initiated change within me, and I was determined to do the same for Kevin. It was a trial and process for both of us, but slowly, he was able let go of his demons. Years later, he still has his glum moments, but his former self is far removed from the smart alecky, cocky young man that is my friend today.

From such turbulent beginnings to Knight Caeli...

Gaining the title of Knight Caeli did not automatically mean a smooth road for him. His first assignment was out in the frontier at Fort Castello, where he had to learn a few lessons on responsibility and leadership the hard way. Still, he relishes his job and his position, or so he tells me. After a couple of years at Castello and a stint at Rampart, he was rotated to Head of the Royal Guards at the Castle. I am glad of it as we now see each other nearly on a daily basis.

Considering my own failures in the realm of romance, I admit that I am somewhat concerned about him in that aspect. Along with the title of Knight Caeli comes throngs of admirers of the fairer sex, women that flock about you from the moment you step out at your inaugural ball. Kevin seems to be handling it well though. He is more of a cynic than a romantic when it comes to male-female relationships. So although he enjoys the attention to some extent and is always courteous to ladies, he is noncommittal and keeps his distance. Most of them are enamored of the image of the youngest and newest Knight Caeli and not Kevin himself and so it is probably a prudent strategy. However, I do hope that one day he is able to find true happiness with someone, the way I have with Eries and the way Sid has with Shuro.

The guard and Kevin are talking about the happenings of last night. Kevin is speculating about when they might catch a glimpse of the castle's most recent arrival.

Soon enough--she will be making a public appearance soon enough. For the time being however, she is otherwise occupied.

I adjust my hold on Reuben in order to turn a doorknob. The movement rouses Reuben. Sleepily, he looks up from the warm cocoon of his blanket to take note of his surroundings.

His eyes go wide.

"Hello, Reuben."

"Mother..."

The watery light of early morning shining through the high windows illuminate the room that Eries and I share. Eries is propped up into sitting position on a number of down pillows in our large, four poster bed. She is wearing a night dress of fine eyelet cotton, and her hair has been braided into a loose plait tied with a bright blue ribbon. She smiles warmly to us in welcome. And in her arms, she holds a small bundle wrapped in soft fabric.

I sit at the edge of the bed and more or less settle Reuben, who is straining to yet a good look, onto my lap. "Reuben, I'd like you to meet your new little sister."

"Sister..." Reuben breathes. Eries moves closer to us and peels back the folds of the yellow blanket so that Reuben can have a better view of his new sibling. Spellbound, he stares, taking in the sight of the tiny little person in his mother's arms.

I lean over and kiss Eries' cheek tenderly. Sighing in contentment, she leans her head against my shoulder in response. Eries' hair against my neck is slightly damp. After the birth, the servants changed the linens and removed the soiled sheets and a pair of handmaidens helped Eries change into fresh clothes and brushed and rearranged her hair for her.The dampness of her hair and her weariness are the only traces left of the ordeal that she had to undergo. That and my immense relief and infinite gratitude that both she and our daughter came through the pain and tears of the preceding night healthy and whole.

There is nothing that humbles a man so much as childbirth. Children are the product of both of their parents, but it is the woman who has to bring them into the world. A husband can do various things for his wife during this momentous occasion, but when you come right down to it, it is a task that is the wholly hers and the man is powerless to ease her burden. So, during those long hours that Eries suffered and strained, screamed and sweated as she labored to bear our child, I was completely useless. I tend to think of women as the weaker sex, requiring the chivalrous protection of men ; however, after last night, I am reminded yet again that women have an endurance all their own that surpasses the strengths that we men possess.

Reuben looks up at us quizzically. "What's her name?"

"Aerika," I reply. "Princess Aerika Serena Schezar Aston."

"Aerika...She's so little..." Reuben murmurs, his attention again captured by his new sister. I am captivated as well by my precious little girl. I am already in love with her and I know it will take an effort for me not to spoil and indulge my darling princess.

"Can I touch her?" he asks timidly.

Eries looks at our son affectionately. "Of course. Just remember to be gentle, the way you were with Minsun's little brother."

Reuben nods and reaches gingerly towards his new sister. He carefully touches the golden strands of downy hair that crown her head. As he marvels over her, a miniature pink hand grasps hold of his finger. The sight of her tiny hand holding Reuben's small one warms my heart.

"I think she's saying hello," whispers Eries to Reuben.

"Hello Aerika," says Reuben, gently shaking hands with her in greeting. Eries and I smile to see our son so obviously taken by his new sibling.

Shyness gone, Reuben asks us eagerly. "Can I hold her?"

"No, not yet. Later, when you are both a little older." Reuben is visibly disappointed at my words.

"However, there is something you can do now." Reuben looks up at me expectantly. "Reuben, do remember what is that knights do?"

His response is automatic. "They protect people that can't protect themselves."

"Right. Now what is it that kings--good kings--do?"

"They work hard to take care of their people so that they can be happy."

"Right," I reply, gathering him into my lap. "Now, big brothers are in a lot of ways like knights and kings. They protect their little brothers and sisters and give them help when they need it. But, even more than that, big brothers love and care about their little brothers and sisters, like the way your mother and I love and care about you. Aerika is going to need for you to be her big brother. She's just a baby now, and she is going to need a lot of help to grow up. And she's going to get that help from a lot of people--from me and your mother and all the other people in the palace. And we would like for you to be a part of it, too. You can help her by watching out for her and guiding her. But even after she is all grown-up, she will always need you to care about and love her. Are you willing to be a good big brother for her?"

Reuben nods emphatically and, before I can say or do anything else, scrambles off my lap and onto the floor. He kneels, taking that stance that Asturians of the blood assume when they make an oath, whether swearing fealty to a liege, making a promise to a comrade, or pledging fidelity to a lady.

Taking a deep breath, he solemnly declares, "I, Prince Reuben Fayr Schezar Aston, do swear to you, Aerika, that as I live and breathe, I will honor and protect you, guide and love you, and--" Reuben's voice falters momentarily and his brow knits as he pauses briefly to figure out how to word the conclusion of his promise.

"--and be the best big brother to you--ever!"

The words are piped in a childish voice, but they are uttered in all seriousness. I beam proudly at him. I know Reuben will be as devoted to Aerika as I was to Serena, and, in many ways, be a better brother to her than I ever was.

Reuben looks up with anticipation. After such a declaration is made, it is customary for a response to be given in recognition of the vow made and the one who swore it.

Eries peers down at our daughter's face and scrutinizes it. After a moment, she says to Reuben, "I do believe the Lady Aerika accepts your oath to her. If you would do her the honor, it would please her very much if you seal your promise with a kiss."

Reuben grins and scrambles back up onto the bed. As he leans over to give Aerika a brotherly peck, Eries and I exchange knowing glances over our children's heads and smile.

owari~

Final note: thanks to everyone for reading and especially for reviewing. Please send a final review! Pretty please!?