Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Asturia: Love and Duty ❯ Eries' epilogue (RATED R) ( Chapter 19 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

In writing these two epilogues, we figured that it would make the most sense for hS to author the one with Eries' voice, and for R to take the one with Allen's. hS has tried to tie up as many loose ends as possible in this installment, and it rapidly bloated up far beyond our initial estimate. For those who don't like spice, you can still read the first ¾ of the story before hitting steamy stuff. We did the best we could and hope you still enjoy!

This is written as Eries' thoughts a few months after the last chapter. Text between * refers to "present" time and regular text are flashbacks. (we were trying for italics, but they're not coming through).

*I pushed aside the curtains and opened the window. After adjusting the sash on my robe, I settled onto the window seat, with my arms resting on the sill. It was a splendid day outside. A contented smile crept onto my face as I watched as a flock of songbirds perform their aerial acrobatics in the clear blue sky. After several minutes, I shifted my gaze to the mountains off in the horizon. It was then that I noticed the small fleet of merchant leviships leaving the capital.

Merchant ships... Dryden... I wonder where he is now...*

Dryden had been the first Allen and I had confided in. Dryden's brilliance made him the best ally to help us sort through our dilemma. Plus, he was STILL my official betrothed after all. When we told him, I thought at first that Dryden was going to make some kind of quip about his formal rival or toss out some offhand remark about my choice of men. Instead, he simply gave me a rather amused smile and said, "He suits you."

Dryden readily agreed to help us, and the three of us conspired together as to the best means of addressing our rather complex situation. We finally deemed it best to keep things a secret for a spell and wait until the circumstances were more opportune for putting plans into motion. Until then, Dryden and I behaved as if we had every intention of committing to our betrothal.

Granted, waiting was not what I would have preferred. But I knew better than to act on impulse, and so did Allen. And fortunately we were both skilled enough at patience and at acting not to let our feelings show.

The opportunities I had to see Allen alone were almost nil. I appreciated Father's concern for my well-being, but having a pair of guards shadowing my every move made it impossible for me to slip away unnoticed as I had so easily before.

Fortunately, Allen was included in my bodyguard rotation. Though we could not be completely candid with a third party hovering about, it was enough to have him near me. A whisper here, a secret smile there when the other guard wasn't looking became our life lines; the two of us became experts in the art of double entendre. And all the while I reminded myself that it was only temporary, whereas I had Allen's love forever.

Four months passed before the time became ripe for action. It was an eventful four months--time for the government to recover from the damage caused by the spy, to decree and execute the doppleganger's death sentence, for security levels to finally scale back to normal levels, and for the whole matter to be brought (as near as possible) to a close. But it was also time for Dryden to physically recover from his injuries and to take care of a few matters. Matters such as making good on his vow to find Mr. Rat the best medical care possible and establishing a trust to keep the loyal servant set for life. Helping me bring order back to the king's court. Seeing Annette recover enough to go home. And, last but not least, planning his final exit from Asturia.

Both Allen and I entreated Dryden to change his mind about leaving Asturia. His departure was especially difficult for me. I had grown used to having my ever traveling friend at home, and had come to rely on him as a trustworthy, if unconventional, adviser. I insisted that he would have my political protection, and that I could structure things such that any conceivable plots by Meiden would ultimately backfire. Allen attempted to persuade Dryden that arrangements could be made to prevent any possible "accidents" that his vindictive father might orchestrate. Dryden shook his head and waved off our pleas.

"While I'm flattered that the two of you want me to stay, the prospect of having to be nursemaided by a gaggle of guards my every step is only marginally better than being abducted by gecko men and being thrown into the canals in the dead of night. No, it's best that I go. Please don't look at me like that, Sniper. I'm more suited to life as an adventure than life in cotton wool. And I will trust the two of you to take care of the rest. Don't disappoint me."

"And remember. Take care of each other."

The next day, Dryden Fassa, once the richest man in Asturia, former King's Proxy and Prince Consort, quietly disappeared from Palas for a destination that he had not disclosed to anyone.

My announcement of the dissolution of my betrothal to Dryden was nothing short of a bombshell when the King's council convened two days later. I would not have been surprised if I had seen bits of cracked plaster drifting down from the ceiling.

"My family will never agree to this!" Meiden exploded.

"It already has," stated Charity, who was assisting me at the meeting. Normally, Annette accompanied me to these meetings, but she had yet to fully recover from her injuries. In addition, I wanted to distance Annette as far as possible from this matter regarding her cousin to spare her any possible familial backlash from her uncle. Charity placed a statement on the table before the council. Completely legal, it had been notarized by a discreet acquaintance of Dryden's, who also happened to be an obscure lawyer. The council members gaped at the parchment, stunned into silence.

"And this is for you," Lady Charity handed an envelope with Dryden's seal to Meiden. The chief adviser tore it open and devoured the contents. His face turned deadly pale, and then an apoplectic shade of purple. He said nothing else for the remainder of the meeting. However, there was a murderous look in his eyes, which made me think that perhaps Dryden had done the prudent thing to leave the country.

I then followed my initial shocker with a second one. I announced, in no uncertain terms, that I had already made a selection for my replacement Prince Consort.

The council chambers just about split apart at the name Sir Knight Caeli Allen Crusade Schezar VIII.

Again, I was thrown into heated debate over my future consort. But this time, things were different. The council had been caught off guard. Also, my influence over my father's advisers had increased. In the days following the doppleganger discovery, confusion and loss of confidence had run rampant in the council and throughout the King's court as a whole. However, I had acted as a stabilizing force in the face of chaos. With my father's support and my decisive actions, the balance of power had shifted such that I commanded a greater level of respect with a good percentage of the council. I still faced opposition, but it was nowhere near the solidarity I had been up against before. In addition, I was determined not to back down for anything. I was not going to concede any compromises. As Charity relayed to her fellow court members later that day, "the Princess was in fine form today."

"Schezar? You can't possibly be serious about suggesting a member of THAT family!" sputtered Lord Kestrel.

"The Schezar family has a history of serving this country that goes back over 300 years. Sir Schezar himself is following in that tradition. I do not see why his family should be discounted so easily."

"I would have thought that the Princess had better judgment than to fall for a pretty face," sneered Lord Dumas.

"Allen Schezar has acted in various capacities in Asturia's military for over 10 years. That includes extraordinary service and valor during the Great War. And may I remind you, that the title of Knight Caeli is not something to be dismissed so easily."

The commotion raged on for a good quarter hour. One councilman went so far as to insinuate that perhaps the Princess was not "herself" since the doppleganger incident. I calmly countered that by saying that he was welcome to seek out Plactu's services if he truly had doubts about my identity.

Everything screeched to a halt when Father abruptly stated he wanted to have a word with me. Alone. Everyone else was ordered out of the council chambers. His tone made it clear that his command was not to be questioned. The council members obeyed instantly. They exited quickly, murmuring amongst themselves as they did so. Their reactions were mixed. Some still looked stunned by Dryden's official declination of consortship. Those which I most considered allies looked worried, concerned perhaps about what would ensue between myself and my father-- or maybe perhaps about my judgment? From the smug looks and smirks the more truculent members gave me, they seemed certain the king would make short work of straightening out his wayward daughter. The last councilman exited and the huge chamber doors swung shut with a bang. Leaving me alone with my father.

I approached him. I should have been intimidated. Without a doubt, my old self would have been. Never in my 25 years had I ever done anything so bold. But, as I closed the distance between my seat at the council table and the chaise lounge where my father reclined, I was confident. Not exactly defiant, but the self-assuredness in my step was not an act.

My choice was a potential wedge between my father and myself. Since my brush with danger, we had grown significantly closer. I would never forget the look of relief on his face when I returned to the palace after escaping the doppleganger. I had not expected him to be quite so moved. Perhaps it was then that he decided he was not so indifferent to his second daughter after all. I was almost embarrassed by his outpouring of concern for me. After that day, he backed me more solidly than he had ever before.

With this move, I stood to lose all of the progress that we had made in our relationship. Things between us could irreversibly sour, but I was willing to risk that. I was not going to be swayed. However, something inside me told me that this would somehow work out.

Father held Dryden's statement in his hand. His brow wrinkled as he studied the page before him. I stopped before him and waited, mentally preparing myself to argue the matter to the ground if need be. When he finally looked up, I met his eyes with an aplomb that bordered on brazenness. I steeled myself.

"Allen… does he love you?" Father's voice was gruff, but not unkind.

I was taken aback. This was not what I had been expecting. I dropped my guard, just a little.

"Yes. And I love him." There was no hint of hesitation in my answer.

Father sighed. "Then you have my blessing."

His… blessing? "Father…" I said weakly. Astonishment overwhelmed me and left me giddy. I sank to my knees beside him. Of all the scenarios I had anticipated, I had not dreamed of this one.

Father's features softened. He looked at me... it was the closest thing to a fatherly gaze that I had ever received from him.

"You are amazed? Well I suppose I should not be so surprised at that. I have never been... encouraging with you. But despite all that, I have faith in your judgment."

"I may be old, but I am not so much a fool as to realize that I am king largely in name only. It has been many months since my hands have truly guided the fate of this kingdom. But I know who has. And you have done an admirable job despite all the challenges you have faced."

"Your actions speak for themselves. You know where your duty lies. You hold Asturia's best interests close at heart. I have known for a while now that this kingdom's future will be safe with you holding the reins."

"And now I would like to ensure your happiness as well."

"Allen Schezar... he has not been a favorite of mine. But I am in his debt. Perhaps it is fitting that he receive your hand for saving your life. He is not whom I would choose to succeed me. But you have. And apparently young Fassa supports you in this is well. You and Dryden have been thick as thieves since the... the incident. When I saw you and Dryden so close after he returned to Palas, I thought both of you had come to terms... well, never mind what I thought. The two of you had this well-planned in advance, didn't you? I should have known better than to believe that Dryden would agree so readily to this match."

"I haven't been much of a father to you. I've always treated you as a Princess first and a daughter a very distant second. But I want to put things to rights with whatever time I have left in this world. I will give you my support for your choice. However, there will be those who will oppose you in this; you must be prepared for those consequences. But I didn't really need to tell you that, did I? I can see that you were already prepared to fight tooth and nail. That's very much like you, Eries. You were the one child I could count on to take everything into consideration before acting."

"You have been good to Asturia. And if Allen Schezar is good to you, may it be so much the better for everyone concerned."

Father was as good as his word, and my betrothal to Allen was announced immediately. According to George, who was my eyes and ears among the masses, the general public was somewhat startled by the sudden change in prince consorts. However, Allen was not an unpopular choice among the populace in stark contrast to the council's skepticism. Being one of Gaia's master swordsmen combined with his physical beauty lent him a romantic air that appealed to the sensibilities of most Asturians. He was still widely hailed as a hero from his role during the Great War. Many did find it incongruous that the dashing Knight Caeli was engaged to the impassive Crown Princess. I had to laugh at that; to me, that was only further proof how deceiving images can be.

*A gentle breeze picked up. It toyed with my hair; the small gusts blew the strands back and forth. Except for the whisper of the wind and the trill of bird song, all was peaceful. It was a welcome change from the harried rush of activity that had been surrounding me the past months.*

Getting married is a momentous occasion for anyone. However, when you are a member of the royal house, it is elevated to the status of a national extravaganza. Planning such an event combined with my usual duties (that is, running a kingdom) had my every waking minute occupied.

Our engagement lasted three months. Many of the courtiers involved in organizing the wedding celebration complained about having to rush and not having sufficient time to devise a sufficiently extravagant celebration. For me, though, the days and weeks dragged. It's funny: marriage had always been something I accepted as part of my duty. I'd never dreamed that I would await my wedding day with such excruciating anticipation.

Despite my impatience, it was a joyful time. Allen and I were finally free to be open about our relationship. I had wanted to share this for months, and to finally be able to announce it and have it acknowledged was a happiness in itself. What a difference- I had been so apathetic to the notes of congratulations to my betrothal to Dryden. I had to make an effort not to grin like an idiot at everyone and everything wishing me well on my upcoming nuptials.

Being officially declared Prince Consort was a welcome change for Allen. He had been extremely frustrated by the limits to which he was able to support me when he was technically "just a guard." Once publicly recognized as my betrothed, he was free to fill the void left by Dryden's departure. To be able to work together and mutually support each other in love and in life was wonderful. Granted, we did have disagreements, but I knew I would never have a better life partner.

Our engagement was not without its poignant moments though. Two days after our betrothal, we went to the cemetery to share the news with those who had passed on from this world.

It was cold and muddy that morning. We were the only visitors in the cemetery. We walked in silence as Allen led the way to his mother's headstone. Although the mood was somber, I was not disconcerted as we approached the granite monument that marked Encia Schezar's final resting place. Perhaps it should have been awkward, but it was not. Maybe it's because I also understood what it was like to have so much to say but to know there would be no reply.

The sharp winter wind whipped our cloaks and scattered last season's dried leaves about as we stood before his mother's grave. After a long while Allen finally spoke. "Mother, I have news for you. I'm getting married."

He turned and looked at me tenderly as he introduced me. "Mother, may I present to you my fiancée, Princess Eries Aria Aston." I curtsied low before the gravestone.

"You would love her, Mother," continued Allen. "She's beautiful, courageous, intelligent. She's... extraordinary. Serena adored her. They were as close as sisters."

"And Eries means the world to me."

"Mother, I wish…" Allen's voice trailed off, but I knew his thoughts.

… that you were here to see this.

The profound longing in his voice made my heart ache. He didn't have to explain; I already understood.

I took his hand in mine. He intertwined his fingers with mine in response, and looked down at me. The forlornness on his face made me want to weep: he was a seasoned warrior no longer, but the boy whom I had seen so many years ago at his mother's grave, bereaved of all he had held dear.

I could not bring them back. No one could. I gazed into his eyes earnestly, offering the only comfort I could. "I will be your family. My place is at your side. And I will always love you," I promised.

His hand squeezed mine gently. That small gesture conveyed more gratitude and love than words could ever express.

It was the first time, but not the last that the regrets and sorrows of our past clouded our present happiness. However, no matter what befell us before, there was a future waiting for us to build -- together. That was what we kept in the forefront of our minds. If one of us lost sight of it, the other would gently remind the other of it. As did our friends.

The Fanels had been extremely supportive of us during our engagement. They knew firsthand what kind of trials we were undergoing. Our communications were limited to letters, but that form of communication proved to be extremely effective. Somehow during the most trying times, a fortuitously timed letter would arrive to raise our spirits. As a result of these similar difficulties, our bonds of friendship deepened.

Hitomi , Van, and Merle were all eager to come to Palas for the wedding. They intended to arrive several days early. However, inclement weather hindered their leviship and they arrived instead the day before the wedding.

The Fanelians had scarcely stepped within the castle premises when Gaddes, Kio, and Kevin appeared at Van's elbow to carry him off to the Schezar estate. Some of Allen's friends from the Academy and the members of the Crusade, who had returned to the capital for the event, were planning a "shindig" for Allen on the eve of his wedding, and the party wouldn't be complete without their old traveling companion, the King of Fanelia.

Van was reluctant to go with them. Firstly, because he was loathe to leave his family without getting them properly settled in. Secondly, because he was familiar with the rowdiness the Crusade crew displayed once they got smashed and was a bit leery about subjecting himself to that sort of experience again. The other men prodded and cajoled while Van looked nervously between them and the women in his charge. Finally, Hitomi loudly whispered for him to go and "make sure that Allen is in a presentable condition for his wedding tomorrow."

Van nodded almost imperceptibly and allowed himself to be dragged off by the others. Merle, Hitomi, and I sighed in unison, shaking our heads, as the men noisily exited the castle grounds. Men can be so immature sometimes.

Though it was only late afternoon, it had already been a long day for Minsun. The baby was exhausted and ready for a nap. I had made arrangements for them to stay at the royal family's quarters and showed them to the guest room they would be using. Merle volunteered to take care of Minsun and shooed us off so that Hitomi and I could socialize.

After being in the thick of wedding arrangements, it was a welcome respite to be able to sit and catch up with a good friend. We went to my suite for some time alone.

Hitomi had recovered speedily after her dangerous pregnancy and was now, I was pleased to note, the picture of health. Motherhood had altered her physically though. Her lean athletic frame had been replaced with a more curvaceous figure, which lent her body a different kind of beauty.

Hitomi truly had changed dramatically since the first time she came to Asturia. She comported herself with all the dignity befitting her title and radiated a quiet strength that was almost tangible. Hard to believe that the poised woman clad in the indigo garments of Fanelian royalty with the same bewildered teenager who once raced through the streets of Palas in pink shorts.

There was still a part of Hitomi that was very much a girl though.

I had inadvertently left the door to my dressing room ajar so that the first thing that caught her eye was my wedding dress hanging on the wall. With a gasp of delight, she made a beeline to admire it.

"Eries, it's beautiful. You're going to make a ravishing bride." she said , studying the shining fabric with its intricate needlework.

"It reminds me a lot of Millerna's wedding dress," she added thoughtfully.

"It should," I replied. In a mock bookish explanatory tone, I stated, "All the daughters of the Royal House wear this garment on the day of their matrimony. Nothing has changed, from the cut of the fabric, to the embroidery, to the nuptial shawl with the royal colors on it."

Switching back to my everyday voice, I added, "The only difference between my dress and Millerna's is that mine is slightly larger, because I'm taller that she was."

"So you don't get to choose what to wear?" asked Hitomi, surprised.

"Almost," I replied, settling onto a hard horsehair couch. "There is one thing that tradition dictates is exclusively the bride's choice. And that is her jewelry."

"I see," said Hitomi, looking around herself and taking notice of the other items in the dressing room. Gold chains, silver bangles, gemstones glittered in the soft light of the dressing room. Jewelry boxes, cases, and bags of all shapes and sizes covered every available surface in the room. "Having a little trouble choosing?"

I groaned. "You can say that." I had spent the last five evenings trying to decide which piece of jewelry in the Asturian royal treasury to wear and had come up with nothing. Nothing quite seemed to suit me. I found myself in the position of the stereotyped woman, standing before a wardrobe full of clothes, that was wailing that she had nothing to wear.

I slumped, pouting in my seat. "Most brides wear something of sentimental value. That ruby necklace that Millerna wore for her wedding? That belonged to Marlene. Millerna always liked it and Marlene gave it to her when she left for Fried."

"I would just wear these," I said, fingering my earcuffs. "They're a momento of my mother."

"However," I said, rising, "There is a small problem." I walked over to the dress and lifted down the headpiece and veil. I began to put the headpiece on, but as I lowered it, the gold whorls of the headpiece clinked against my earcuffs. "They keep the headpiece from attaching securely so I can't wear them."

"Would you like me to help?" offered Hitomi. Hitomi picked up a jade bangle and idly twirled it around her finger.

"Yes. Actually, I'd like that very much." And it was good to have her company and an extra pair of hands to sort through the heaps of glitter in the room.

"The Fanelian Royal family has a collection of jewelry, but it's nothing compared to this," Hitomi commented, somewhat dazzled by the selection before her.

"Not to brag, but this is only a fraction of the Asturian Collection. But much of it is considered part of the Asturian treasury. So it stays locked up and is rarely displayed."

"Was it difficult for Millerna to pick her jewelry?" Hitomi asked, trying to untangle five or six necklaces that had snarled together into a knot.

I rifled through a box of brooches. "No, not really. She knew exactly what she wanted. But it was different with my sister Marlene. She wasn't sure of what to wear, and she had to leave so suddenly. So she had Millerna and me help her choose what to wear." Those images of us long since stowed away in the dusty recesses of my brain, popped vividly back into mind's eye. Things at the time had been strained between Marlene and me as a result of my stumbling upon her and Allen in her room. Despite that awkwardness and our sadness over her departure, it was a happy memory. We had spent an entire afternoon together. I remembered fastening different necklaces around Marlene's graceful neck as Millerna scurried back and forth, heaping potential pieces onto Marlene's lap for her to scrutinize. For a while it was like the three of us playing dress up rather than readying one of us to leave home for a new husband and kingdom. "Each of us picked a piece, and those were the three things she wore on her wedding day."

Suddenly, I felt their absence so much it hurt. Perhaps it was strange to want them there on the eve of my marriage to a man who had been lover to one and captivated the heart of the other. However, both had ultimately found their happiness in the arms of another. Though it certainly would have been strange, I think they would have been happy for me. The three of us had been through so much that this occasion just seemed incomplete without them. But not only them…

I started at a light touch on my arm.

"Eries, are you alright?" asked Hitomi. I realized I was gripping a brooch so tightly in my hands that my knuckles were white.

I dropped the brooch back into its box. "Yes, I'm fine. I was just thinking. Just wishing that Marlene and Millerna could be here for this. And Dryden, too. And Serena, and…"

... Mother and Uncle Nueva and Aunt Miriam, Lavender and Indigo…

I tried to squelch that train of thought, but it was too late. An intense longing overwhelmed me. So many of those people that Allen and I loved and cared for would not be able to share this day with us. I began to tremble a little bit. I didn't resist when Hitomi wrapped a comforting arm around my shoulder and drew me next to her.

"It's not fair!" I blurted, unable to hold back my emotions. "Millerna and Dryden should be here! And Serena- Allen misses her so much, and so do I, and… and…" Hot tears came and I sobbed into Hitomi's shoulder.

Hitomi held me and rocked us back and forth as I wept. After my crying fit had run its course, she broke our embrace. Looking at me sagely, she said, "I have something for you. I was going to give it to you tomorrow, but perhaps it has more of a purpose than I thought."

She removed a grey silken bag that had been hanging around her neck and hidden beneath the neckline of her dress. She held it carefully in her palm. "Last month, we had a visitor in Fanelia. A traveling cartographer. He stayed with us for a few days before continuing on to study the Ravenshadow outcroppings that ring the Dragon Forest. He asked me to give this to you when we came to Asturia for the wedding." She pressed the bag into my hands. "A wedding present."

Bewildered, but curious, I pulled the drawstring open and emptied the contents of the bag into my hand.

It was a seashell. Living in Palas, a seaside commercial center, I had seen shells of all colors: sunbleached white, spotted red, mottled brown, dusty orange. However, the shell I held was unusual even to me. The shell was evenly colored a delicate shade of lavender, with a pearly finish that made it glow. It was fan shaped and fit easily into my hand. A jeweler had attatched it to a gold filigree chain.I looked at it in wonderment, tracing my fingertips over the smooth surface. Hitomi prompted, "There's something else." I obediently fished through the bag and found a folded piece of paper which had been wedged at the bottom. I unfolded it and recognized the handwriting immediately. "Dryden…"

Along with the proclamation of my betrothal to Allen, Father had also declared that Dryden remained in the good graces of the crown. The decree was at my behest. I was hoping that perhaps that might convince him to return to Asturia. But he never did, and sent no word. Until now.

"Eries and Allen,

I can't tell you where I am at the moment or where I'm bound, but I can certainly tell you this: I wish both of you the very best on this day. Queen Hitomi has been gracious enough to act as a messenger on my behalf to deliver this gift to you.

By Nasshafa, there is an archipelago called Didodikali. That's where I found it. Lovely, isn't it? I thought of Millerna the moment I saw it. The color reminds me of her eyes. Don't you think so?

Millerna would be happy for you today, just as I am. Remember that. Think of this shell as a wish from the two of us for your happiness on the day of your wedding.

And please don't worry about me. I am by no means a man of means but I'm king of the road.

Best to you both.

A Roaming Expatriate Cartographer."

The note was so like Dryden. I found myself giggling helplessly even as fresh tears streamed down my cheeks. Hitomi reached out to me , and I accepted her comfort.

"It's alright, " Hitomi said after I had calmed down again. "It's alright to miss them. But, they would have wanted you to know that their thoughts are with you and Allen. What they would have wanted is not for you to mourn for them tomorrow, but for you to receive their wishes for your happiness."

I reflected on Hitomi's words the next morning as I stood on a balcony and took in the view of the city around me. The peaceful grounds of the cemetery, just visible from my vantage, were quite a contrast from the bustling wedding spectators already assembling along the canal banks in the proximity of the palace. Closer still, I could see servants making last-minute preparations in the viewing stands and courtyard where the ceremony would take place. As I took in the sight, I turned Dryden's gift in my hands over and over again.

Hitomi was right. Completely right. I was indeed fortunate to be married to the one I loved with the blessings of so many . My heart was light. I felt as if I was being lifted aloft by the well wishes of countless people--from those who had already passed on to those multitudes below holding daydreamer blossoms, the Asturian symbol of love and fidelity, in hand. Even Mr. Rat, I was pleased to see, grasped a flower in his lap as a nephew assisted him to a spot in the viewing stands. Both Dryden and I had been relieved to see him recover both health and interest in life. Although the beastman would never fully recover, he had regained the use of his upper extremities and was learning how to make his way through life by use of a wheeled chair contraption that Dryden had procured for him.

"Hime-sama?"

Annette stood at the balcony doors. In lieu of her merchant's garments, today she was uncharacteristically attired in a satin and velvet gown with a navy bodice and periwinkle skirt and sleeves. There had been some disapproval in the palace when I had named Annette to accompany me and Allen to the marriage altar. Although she was technically still a maiden, she at 35 years of age did not exactly match the image of the bud of womanhood that the squabblers wanted to present. In addition, her face had been permanently marked by a long scar down one side of her face from her struggle in Dryden's yard. Many would have eliminated her on the basis of that alone.

However, I was adamant. If there was someone who deserved a place of honor at my wedding it was her. I will bend for tradition, but not on account of some complaining courtier's sense of aesthetics. Much arguing ensued, but, in the end, Annette joined Reina and the other four noblewomen that had been selected as part of my entourage. Looking at her in her bridesmaid's dress, I did not regret my decision one iota.

"Mistress Noin and Lady Laran are waiting for you in the dressing room. You had best get down there before they send out the entire palace guard in search of you."

"I'll be right there," I replied, wanting to linger on the balcony a moment longer before having to submit myself to their cosmetic ministrations. Despite being a princess, I was what Mistress Noin termed a "low-maintenance female," and rarely spent more than the minimal required time over my toilette, let alone having someone assist me. However, special days call for special measures.

I turned back for a last glimpse of the throngs waiting for the wedding - MY wedding. Annette joined me and put an arm around my shoulder. In response, I wrapped an arm around her waist. We looked at each other and grinned.

"It's a perfect day today, isn't it, Annette?"

"Indeed."

I caused another stir in the palace just before the wedding procession. The ladies assisting and attending me exchanged surprised glances when, after arraying myself in my wedding garments, I put on the jewelry I had selected to wear on this day of days. Though they tittered amongst themselves, they raised no protest with me as it was an ancient and well-established tradition that my jewelry was completely my choice. As it was the one thing that distinguished my ensemble from that of all the other brides of the Royal House, it was also the thing that everyone would take note of when I made my appearance.

I already anticipated the curious murmurs and knew my choice would be the cause of speculation. What else could one expect when the Crown Princess appears, not decked in heirloom pieces or sporting a creation of gems newly fashioned for the occasion, but wearing instead simply a lavender seashell hanging from a gold necklace? A royal wedding in a country such as Asturia was an event to be discussed in circles even outside her boundaries. And I hoped it was mentioned that the bride was wearing an unusually colored seashell when, in some far off place, it reached the ears of a certain brown haired cartographer.

Just as my bridesmaids and I were about to depart, one of them tapped me on the shoulder and asked the question that was on everyone else's mind.

"Hime-sama, that's an interesting necklace. Why did you pick it?" asked Reina innocently. Her curiosity always did get the best of her.

I smiled enigmatically. "It's a secret." A secret I shared only with Allen, Hitomi, Van, and Dryden.

Wedding planning and preparations were enough to make a person's head spin. The event coordinators had me going over everything from menu to bunting for the barges to seating arrangements for the foreign dignitaries and other honored guests. However, once I caught sight of Allen, all those concerns evaporated. I only had eyes for him.

We beamed at each other as our gondolas made their way side-by-side to the courtyard dock. He was truly a splendid sight. Though the style of his bridegroom's garments were as ancient and traditional as mine, they looked as if they had been designed especially for him. Seeing him in his blue and gold regalia made my heart pound.

I have never considered myself to be a lovely person. Growing up between two sisters like Marlene and Millerna, I knew what the difference between genuine admiration and a mechanical compliment was. I had resigned myself long ago that while my sisters' names would be synonymous with grace and beauty, mine would be associated with other talents, other virtues. But the way that Allen looked at me… I felt like the most beautiful and desirable woman on Gaia.

Just before we stepped onto the red carpet that led to the marriage altar, Allen whispered to me, "Eries, you look radiant."

I smiled up at him. "It's because of you. You make me shine."

Following the wedding ceremony was a busy festive blur of activities. Asturia is a land of many traditions, and on a occasion such as this it was imperative for the royal family to observe every single one of them, no matter how obscure or trivial. However, in that flurry of busyness, a number of moments do stand out.

I'm certain that everyone within earshot would find it difficult to forget Allen's former crewmates' vocal offering of "Asturia, Embraced by Sky and Sea." As Allen and I exited from the courtyard, the men of the Crusade thought it would be most fitting to serenade us with a very loud and energetic rendition of one of Asturia's anthems, which effectively drowned out the musicians playing the wedding recessional. I tittered a little at their antics, while Allen rolled his eyes. "You would think that they'd remember that they're at a palace and not at a tavern. Though I'm surprised they're conscious, let alone able to hold a tune, after last night's party."

"Well it might not be the most elegant vocal offering, but it's nice to know they're happy for their old commander."

Then there were the Family Introductions. According to Asturian custom, after marriage rites have concluded, the newlyweds are formally welcomed by their new in-laws. In our case, this took hardly any time at all as Allen had no living family to speak of, and my relatives consisted only of Father and Sid.

The four of us gathered in a parlor prepared for the Introductions. After all the attendants had filed out of the room, Allen and I approached Father. Father motioned me to come beside him and took my hand. "Congratulations, Eries," he said with uncommon warmth. "I hope you have found your happiness."

I clasped his hand in both of mine. "Thank you, Father."

He then fixed Allen with a stern glance. "My daughter has placed a great deal of trust in you, young man. I hope that you live up to it."

"Yes, Sire," replied Allen, bowing deeply.

It was not what you would call the warmest exchange between father and son-in-law. But considering the history between the two of them, I was thankful that Allen had Father's acceptance at all.

The dialogue between Sid and Allen was much more cordial. Sid's reaction to our engagement had been ecstatic. When his turn came to congratulate us, he all but pounced on me to give me a warm hug and pour out his well wishes.

He then turned to Allen and smiled broadly, holding out his hand. "I suppose it's Uncle Allen, now. Welcome to the family." Allen returned the smile and reached out to take Sid's proffered hand. I truly felt for Allen that moment. Although his true relationship to Sid would have to remain forever a secret, at least he had this connection to him.

Sid clasped Allen's hand in both of his, shook enthusiastically, and then, to my surprise, leaned up to whisper something in Allen's ear. Allen was startled at first, but quickly recovered and whispered back a response to Sid. For a moment they looked like two conniving schoolboys sharing a secret.

"What was that between you and Sid?" I asked after we had left Sid and Father and were en route to our next ritual for the day.

Allen smiled mysteriously. "We were just renewing a promise between the two of us." He squeezed my hand. "A promise I'm more than glad to keep."

And finally, our first dance. A thrill ran through my body as we were introduced on the ballroom floor as husband and wife.

Husband… Allen was my husband. That reality overwhelmed everything else.

The strains of the music, "Promises Not Needed," began. Allen took my hand in his, and everyone else in the room faded away. There was only the two of us and the rich strains of the waltz. Our bodies moved in harmony as we glided and twirled across the dance floor. Every movement was effortless, our steps matched perfectly. Surrounded in his strong arms, I felt as if I were flying in the skies reflected in his eyes.

Slowing, Allen drew me in closer to him, our dancing posture becoming more intimate than elegant. I didn't even notice the dampness on my cheeks until Allen reached up and brushed it away with his fingers.

"Eries, love, are you alright? You're crying."

"Tears of joy," I whispered with a smile.

*The sunshine felt fabulous on my body. I stretched and yawned luxuriously, much like a house cat in a sunbeam. I noted with mild interest that it was already late in the morning. Under normal circumstances, I would have chastised myself for being such a sloth. My routine was such that at first light I was up and about attending to the various needs of the kingdom as my duty dictated.

However, I was currently wholly absorbed in exploring my duties in my new role as wife.

I glanced over to the large canopied bed occupying the center of the sunny room. The bed hangings and linens were dyed green with gold trim in keeping with the garden theme and color scheme of the room's decor. Amongst the rumpled bed linen lay one former Caeli and current slumbering husband. Appraisingly, I savored his naked body only partially covered by a sheet.

Over the last few days I had become well acquainted with all of his physical attributes--every scar, every curve, every ridge, every dimple, on his long, lean, firm, strong, body. I didn't think I could ever tire of gazing at him. He slept soundly amid the tangled bed clothes, both of which were the result of our - rambunctious activities last night.

A smirk crept up on my lips. Who would ever have thought that reserved , aloof me would have become such a wanton creature?*

My upbringing certainly was not one to promote romantic fantasies about my first introduction to intercourse. I was a princess. As such I had duties. One of which was to continue to the bloodlines of whatever house I married into. The well being and stability of kingdoms and influential families weighed heavily on producing healthy heirs. Therefore procreation and all the requisite steps necessary for it were an accepted fact, no matter how old, ugly, deformed, spiteful, irritable, or unpleasant my spouse might be.

As a result, the thought of conjugal relations never aroused fear or jitters, but neither was it the fuel for fairy tale fantasies. That attitude changed once I became engaged to Allen. Not that my imagination was constantly running rampant, mind you; my mind had been disciplined not to dwell overly much on such carnal thoughts. But there were those quiet moments between sleeping and waking that I would wonder, just a little, what possibilities lay beneath that Caeli uniform.

Looking back, I honestly don't understand why such a large fuss is made over the "wedding night." After running the gamut of activities on our wedding day, we were exhausted. It was past midnight before we were finally able to escape our guests to the privacy of our rooms. I knew I was tired, but I was still running on adrenaline and did not realize how tired I actually was. With a playful kiss and a "Excuse me while I slip into something more comfortable," I disappeared into my dressing room to change.

I unlaced and gratefully kicked off my shoes, which had grown progressively uncomfortable as the night had worn on. After taking off my stockings, I set about removing my veil and headdress. Mistress Noin had been absolutely determined that the headpiece look perfect throughout the entire day, and therefore had secured it with what seemed like a few score hairpins. Unfortunately, that meant I had a few score to take out. For several minutes, I sat at my vanity and pulled out of what seemed like an endless supply of hairpins before I was finally able to free my hair of the headdress. It was a relief to be rid of the heavy weight that I had been carrying around all day. I picked up a brush and began smoothing out my hair. The rhythmical strokes had a relaxing effect, and I yawned hugely. Suddenly weary, I put down my brush, and began massaging my temples where the headpiece had rested. Closing my eyes, I leaned forward on the vanity top...

... and opened them to find myself clad only in my shift in bed.

Later, Allen, eyes twinkling with amusement, related to me how he found me fast asleep amid the hair supplies cluttering my vanity. Ever the gentleman, he picked me up and carried me to bed. I was sleeping so soundly I barely stirred when he undressed me and tucked me in between the sheets.

And so there were no "fireworks" on our wedding night. We merely got some much-needed rest. But we more than made up for it the next morning.

I woke to find sunlight on my face. It honestly felt as if I had only just closed my eyes in my dressing room. I was more than a little embarrassed at my inability to stay awake the previous night.

Allen was asleep beside me. It was a lovely thing, experiencing for the first time awakening to find the one you most hold dear beside you, feeling the delicious warmth of that beloved body. I gazed, mesmerized by his bare, rippled chest gently rising and falling with each breath.

I scuttled beneath the covers to get closer to him and the movement woke him. Upon opening his eyes, he was momentarily dazed by my presence in his bed. A smile slowly spread over his face when he remembered that he was now a married man.

"--?... Mmmm... good morning, wife," he murmured, his voice heavy with sleep. He reached over and drew me to him.

"Good morning, husband." I smiled, pressing my forehead to his. I began to apologize for falling asleep on him, but my words were swiftly silenced by his lips upon mine.

I knew Allen better than anyone, his past, his psyche, his personality . But there was a new aspect of him yet to be revealed to me. And a part of myself to be revealed as well.

I was perfectly comfortable with my body--in the context of representing my kingdom and sparring in the political arena. Steering the fate of a country requires an excellent control of body language--posturing to show solidarity for another's cause, indicating openness without transmitting weakness, projecting an image of strength to lift morale--all of which is communicated under layers and layers of attire. Even when I danced at balls, I always wore gloves to avoid skin to skin contact and maintained a respectful distance. Not that I was unaware of the opportunity for liaisons in the City of Intrigue. I was cognizant of trysts in the Asturian Court. However, I knew how risky they were. The more my responsibilities and influence grew, the more important it was to maintain the respect and dignity I had worked so hard to earn. Any indiscretion, real or perceived, could lead to my undoing. Even a well-hidden affair was dancing with danger, and ultimately would lead to heartache. Therefore, I was never one to flaunt my body. My body was not something to arouse the desire of others, much less a means a pleasure for myself.

But, things were quite different now. As the final layers were stripped between us, feelings of inadequacy gripped me. Allen had been with so many other women... would he be disappointed in me and my inexperience?

I needn't have worried.

Allen traced the outline of my face and then let his hand slide down my neck and lower still. I shuddered with delight. "You're so beautiful," he breathed. The rapt desire in his eyes, the tenderness in his voice, the gentleness in his touch drove all my insecurities away.

I found myself in a swirl of feelings that left me reeling. Allen was all at once tender and tantalizing with his caresses. He savored me with his eyes, his hands, and his mouth. My pulse quickened under the hot trails of his kisses. His fingers, slightly calloused from swordplay, glided over the my skin, sending pleasant shivers through my body that left me breathless. I had never imagined such sensations. I found myself sighing, gasping, moaning in turn under Allen's ministrations. It was as if I was merely an instrument in the hands of the very skilled musician.

Though it had not been our intention, perhaps it was not such a bad bargain to have this initiation to intimacy after night had faded. Instead of being cloaked under cover of darkness, Allen's charms were softly illuminated by the morning light. Propriety and rank dictated that for my eyes to linger too long on a man's body was improper; however, in the privacy of our chambers, all barriers of etiquette had been cast aside like our discarded clothing on the bedroom floor, and I was free to feast on the sight of him. His physique was like that of god's, a perfect sculpture of flesh and bone. Shyly, I began to explore. First, in familiar territory, running my fingers along his face and threading them through his flaxen hair. Then to parts uncharted and unknown. Tentatively and timidly at first, but at length, my hands roamed freely, eagerly seeking out those places that evoked his groans of pleasure.

It was a morning of discoveries. The delicious feeling of his body against mine aroused nameless yearnings within me. We took our time, exploring slowly, as if we had all the time in the world. I wanted to savor this, every sensation, every feeling, and Allen was more than happy to assist.

Despite Allen's best efforts to be gentle, there was pain. Tears stung my eyes at the unaccustomed intrusion into my body. A cry escaped my lips at the searing sensation deep within me. Allen immediately became motionless when he heard me cry out. He paused indecisively, concerned about hurting me. He probably would have stopped altogether. But I didn't want him to. I wrapped my limbs tightly around him. I wanted this. I wanted him to claim me as his own. Fully. Completely. Totally.

After the groans had faded, our heartbeats had slowed back to normal, and my blood stained the sheets, the two of us snuggled in the warm cocoon of our bed. Allen, basking in the afterglow spent of passion, held me in his arms as he planted drowsy kisses on my face. I was somewhat bruised and sore but supremely content. I have heard that the joining of husband and wife is a mystery. I never truly appreciated the truth of that sentiment until that morning. Longings I never even realized I had had been fulfilled, and I was that much more complete because of it. Becoming one in mind, soul, and body is indeed a wonderful mystery.

*My ears pricked up. Adding to the sound of wind and birdsong was a man's baritone and a woman's soprano. Sir Blackwood and Mistress Leila. The caretaker's wife, accompanied by her daughter, was giving the guards their meals for the day before proceeding over to the house were Allen and I were staying. During our honeymoon sojourn at Tanglewood, Mistress Leila and Sherline had been acting as hostesses and housekeeper, stopping by daily with meals, providing us with fresh linens, and occasionally tidying up the place. They also saw to the needs of the pair of guards that Father insisted accompany Allen and myself from Palas.

Sirs LeCroix and Blackwood knew that Allen was more than capable of handling any trouble that could arise and limited themselves to taking shifts at the estate gate to ensure our privacy, rather than intrude upon it.

The crunch of footsteps on gravel announced the approach of Mistress Leila and her daughter. However, I was loathe to get up, and made no effort to go downstairs to greet them. Neither was I concerned that they would disturb us. The matron and her daughter were both sensible and considerate enough to know better than to barge in upon the Crown Princess and her Consort on their honeymoon.*

After the first morning of intimacy, Allen insisted upon abstaining for a little while to allow my body a chance to heal. So, the first couple of days at Tanglewood, we spend our daylight hours roaming the ground hand in hand. And when night fell, we would cuddle together cozily in bed, simply enjoying each other's presence.

The second time we made love, there was much less discomfort for me and I was better able to savor the experience of union with my husband.

However, the third time…

*My gaze shifted to a very specific area in the garden. To anyone else, it was just another section of the grounds, lawn surrounded by shade. Nothing of particular note. But to Allen and me, it was very , very special.

I felt my face flush and a heat growing in the core of my body at the memory…*

That morning, Allen and I had been, of all things, playing a game of catch. A juvenile sight indeed; however, within the confines of Tanglewood's walls, I could drop the formal mien of Crown Princess Eries Aria Aston, and simply be Eries. I was fairly certain that I would never again be in a situation where lives depended on how accurately my aim was. However, one can never be sure. And so I had persuaded Allen into helping me improve my throwing arm. After a couple of hours, my pitch had gone from abominable to horrible; I obviously had a long way to go but at least I was improving. From Allen's amused commentary as he attempted to catch my pitches, I was glad that he was the only one around to witness the spectacle.

After managing a series of throws that could be construed as reasonably on target, I made a throw that was so horrendously off target, that both of us couldn't help but laugh. It went no where near Allen and flew into some shrubbery.

"I'll get it." Still chuckling, Allen went into the bushes to retrieve the ball. After a few moments of searching, Allen emerged with the ball and numerous small twigs and leaves which had caught in his clothes and hair.

"Got it." Allen gallantly returned the ball to me.

"Oh dear. You look like greenery in motion. Hold still." I began brushing the leaves off his navy trousers and linen shirt. Suddenly Allen yelped and jerked sharply away from my hands.

Well, will wonders never cease....

Allen was ticklish.

I grinned wickedly. "What have we here?" I gave him another poke.

"Hey! Stop that!"

"Stop what?"

"Oy! Stop-heeheehee--THAT!"

"You mean--THIS !?"

"WAH!! Please! Aiee! Mercy!"

"No mercy!"

Gleefully, I tickled him until he was gasping, almost unable to breathe. He flailed about trying to protect himself. But I managed to get past his defenses. He tried to tickle me back but was ineffectual in his efforts.

Finally, Allen tried to run away but there was no escaping me. He tottered a step or two but was laughing so hard that he stumbled and went tumbling to the ground. I pounced on him and had him struggling in my clutches in the soft grass.

Then the mood changed. Our touches became more passionate than playful, our movements more erotic than innocent. Though it had been done in fun, the feeling of Allen's body pinned beneath mine began to take on a distinctly sensual quality.

We kissed. His mouth on mine was hard, insistent, demanding. It was unlike any of the gentle kisses we had shared before. And I responded in kind, communicating the need building inside me.

Our lips parted. Panting for breath, we regarded each other hungrily. My heart pounded erratically inside me. The desire I felt swelling in his body mirrored my own.

Yes.

I want you.

Now.

A primal fervor consumed us . Something wild had been unleashed, and there was no stopping it. We tossed propriety to the wind and surrendered to our passions.

Our fingers frantically clawed at our buttons and laces. We were desperate for each other. Whereas before we had been warm and tender in our intimacy, this time we were driven by carnal urgency. Though the morning was cool, I felt feverish. My blood was ablaze. There was something fierce burning inside me.

This time there was no pain, only pleasure, a rapturous sensation that coursed through every nerve. As our bodies strained together, the intensity crescendoed. Our motions became frenzied, striving towards an unseen peak. A rising wave surrounded me and swept me to higher and higher heights. Just when I thought I couldn't contain myself anymore, the wave crashed, shattering me into oblivion. My body convulsed with ecstasy. I cried out Allen's name and collapsed, gasping.

When I finally drifted back to Gaea, I realized that Allen had not yet satisfied himself. Puzzled, I asked him why. Somewhat bashfully, he replied, "Seeing you like that-it was amazing."

He smiled, moving suggestively against me. "I was hoping that perhaps I could see that again."

And he did. And a third time. Until finally, unable to contain his own passion, he found his own release. Afterwards we lay together in a sweaty embrace, too exhausted to move, but very, very happy.

*I felt a familiar pair of strong arms encircle me. Twisting about his embrace I buried my face into the nape of his neck to savor the scent and taste of him. Allen's warm breath in my ear sent a shiver of delight down my spine.

"What were you just smiling about?"

I touched the tip of my nose to his. "You."*

hS: I think this still qualifies as a lime, but whew! Is it getting hot in here what? Maybe I should eliminate citrus from my writing... (overheats and falls over with a thud)

what do you think? Send a review!