Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Asturia: Love and Duty ❯ ch 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

We don't own anything worth mentioning-let alone Escaflowne. We're getting tired of the disclaimer so just know that it applies to all following chapters.

This entire chapt is a set of flashbacks.

--- ---- ---

As Eries silently crept through the palace corridors, she felt for all the world like her nickname: Sniper.

Dryden had bestowed the nickname on her after watching the elder Aston sisters "at work," as he described it, at a fete. One of the unwritten duties of a royal hostess was to find out as much as possible about those in and passing through the palace. The two sisters had developed a system that worked out quite well. Marlene was beautiful, graceful, and charming as Queen Therese had been. She never lacked for a dance partner and always caught everyone's attention. She had a talent for drawing people into conversation, no matter how taciturn, shy, suspicious, or awkward the person was.

Eries, on the other hand, worked quite differently than her sister. Though she was just two years younger than Marlene, she looked as if she was closer to Millerna's age. Partially for that reason and partially because people tended to be bedazzled by Marlene, Eries was usually overlooked for the most part at public functions and festivities. Sometimes she envied Marlene`s ability to generate attention, but for the most part, it did not bother her a bit. Making conversation could be tiring (and tiresome) and limited one's mobility. So while Marlene drew people's attention, Eries would fade into the background. Advantage? She could listen in on bits and pieces of conversation and pick up on information between people, who did not realize she was there. It's not as if she went out of her way to eavesdrop. It's just that, unless she went out of her way to attract attention, people usually paid no more attention to her than if she was a piece of furniture or wall hanging. The fact that she was small and tended to dress modestly in more softer tones compared to Marlene's daring, more brightly colored dress. Once the event was over, the two sisters would meet and compare notes. They garnered quite a bit of information that way between Eries' indirect efforts and Marlene's direct ones. Dryden had watched as two noblemen met together to exchange some words in front of a sofa where Eries was sitting. They had spoken for about a minute before one of them noticed Eries' presence and nearly spilled his drink. Dryden had been thoroughly amused by the incident and invented the nickname.

Their cousins and Marlene had found it an interesting name, but Eries had absolutely loved it. It suited her. It was also much kinder than "Wallflower", less predatory than "Stalker", and less gloomy than "Specter."

At the moment, Sniper was working solo to try and locate Millerna. At the beginning of the first watch, Eries had gone to Millerna's suite to check and see if she needed help with her scripting lesson. Millerna had been nowhere to be found. Although annoyed, Eries was not terribly surprised. Millerna, always curious, had developed a bad habit of wandering off and losing track of time when large groups of foreigners would come to stay at the palace. One time she had become completely engrossed by the stories of an old porter who was part of a retinue from Adelle. Another time, she had crept into one of the upper balconies to view a group of visitors from Daedelus entering the main courtyard and had fallen asleep in her hiding place. Currently, Palas was hosting talks between Freid, Chezario, and Asturia regarding trade routes and air space. Millerna had probably run off to gawk at the visitors.

Eries had sighed and gone to recruit Marlene's help to find Millerna. They had to find Millerna before anyone else, especially Millerna's governess noticed. If CLEMENTINE found out, she would have half the palace guards searching for Millerna, and once they found her, Millerna would be switched quite expertly. Eries, for her part, felt that Millerna was a bit too old for corporal punishment and preferred more creative punishments for her younger sister instead. Not to mention, she did feel somewhat sorry for Millerna as Clementine's work usually left Millerna sore for days.

Eries had gone to Marlene's suite and knocked. Receiving no answer, she had tried the door only to find it locked. She then banged the door for several seconds before the guard on duty came by. He informed her that Marlene was not feeling well and had decided to retire early and did not wish to be disturbed.

Eries did not blame her. The talks, which would finally end tomorrow, had been going on for two weeks. Between public appearances, playing hostess, and the other duties that came with running the palace household, Marlene and her court had been overwhelmed. Not that it took much to overwhelm certain members of Marlene's court, thought Eries with a measure of disdain. At any rate, Marlene had found herself running to her younger sister for additional assistance.

The string of snafus that had occurred had not helped. Lady Silke, who had been in charge of planning meals for the guests, had forgotten that the warrior monks accompanying the Fried delegation were strict vegetarians. Eries had been the first to notice- the evening before the guests were to arrive. The next morning, she and half Marlene's court were scouring the marketplace for the bean cake and root loaves that made up the bulk of the Freid monk's diet- on a day that was NOT a market day. That oversight had set the tone for the next two weeks.

Although the delegations were to leave tomorrow, high-level discussions were still taking place that night. Eries had to be extra quiet and careful as she prowled about for Millerna in the government affairs sector. Though Millerna would be in deep trouble if their father found her roaming about there, she still had the excuse of being 9. If Eries was caught sneaking about-well, she didn't even want to consider those consequences. It was at the height of summer so that most of the palace interior was stuffy although outdoors it had become comfortably warm. For once, Eries was glad she looked younger than she was. At fifteen, she should be wearing the long skirts of a lady, but as it was, she could still wear knee length skirts and get away with it. Any additional relief from the heat was welcome as she poked behind the curtains, benches, columns, and statuary.

She was just exiting a hearing room when one of the meeting rooms swung open and people began filing out of it. Eries quickly ducked back into the dark room, and hoped no one had noticed her. As the door was propped open, she could hear their voices as they walked past her hiding place.

"-we'll make the announcement tomorrow.-"

That was her father's voice.

"-and there's no need for you to worry about Princess Marlene.-"

Marlene? What about Marlene?

"You can assure Duke Freid-"

What does he have to do with anything?

"that he can look forward to being wed-"

Wed?!? Marlene?

"-to the loveliest woman in Gaia in two weeks.-"

Two weeks!

[ Lover's only, track 9, Bird cage]

Marlene. She was going to be married and leaving Palas forever in two weeks! Eries' chest tightened, and her legs felt weak. She leaned up against the wall for support and clamped one hand over her mouth to keep from crying aloud. She squeezed her eyes shut, but a torrent of tears began to flow down her cheeks nonetheless.

The delegations' voices still filled the hallway as they strode out, but Eries heard none of it. She was oblivious to everything but the thoughts racing through her mind.

Marlene. Her sister. Her confidante. Her best friend. Since Indigo's death, Marlene was the last one with whom Eries could share secrets, tell her troubles to, speak and laugh freely with, and share memories with. Memories of mother, of their cousins, of growing up, of childhood games and pranks. Within a minute, the delegation made their way out of the hallway, but Eries remained where she was for a long while, her mind still trying to grasp what she had heard. She knew what the duty of a princess was as well as anyone else. But this was terribly sudden. How could Father say something like this so casually?

Her thoughts and emotions churned chaotically until a single thought cleared out all others:

She had to tell Marlene. NOW.

++++ +++

The palace was a complex made up of several buildings, both public and restricted: meeting halls, councilor's chambers, a chapel, barracks for the palace guards, storehouses, a treasury, libraries, and gardens. In the center of the palace was the building that housed the royal family. It was restricted to only the royal family, certain guests, and select servant and guards.

A special feature of this graceful building was a central courtyard. Eries had spent many of her childhood hours with Marlene and her cousins playing on the lawn, running around the marble fountain, and admiring the flowering trees in that courtyard under the watchful eyes of her mother and aunt.

Eries quietly let herself through one of the courtyard gates and stopped to rest. She was breathless from running from east side of the palace where the majority of Palas' government affairs were handled. Her nerves were also a bit frazzled from the news of Marlene's wedding and from trying to avoid people en route to Marlene. She felt she would come to pieces if anyone approached her now. All she wanted to do was find Marlene and find some solace in her arms.

As she caught her breath, she heard the sound of Millerna wailing and Clementine scolding from Millerna's suite. Well, at least SOMEBODY had managed to find Millerna, even if it was the switch-happy governess. Poor Millerna. She was going to have something a lot more serious to cry about when she learned about Marlene leaving.

Eries glanced up into the direction of Marlene's suite on the second floor. It was dark, as clouds were obscuring the night sky. However, the courtyard was softly lit by a handful of lanterns. As Eries had hoped, all the courtyard doors and windows were open to counter the summer heat. Including Marlene's. Eries walked over and positioned herself beneath Marlene's private balcony. She took off her boots and then looked up. "All right," she said to herself.

When Eries and Marlene were younger, they would sometimes sneak into each other's room after bedtime to whisper stories and secrets. Their governesses had not considered that proper behavior. They put a stop to it by having the servants and guards on duty keep an eye out for and intercept, if need be, the young princesses. Because Marlene's suite was located in the east wing and Eries' was in the west wing, they were easily noticed and caught. After two or three failed attempts by the princesses, they stopped roaming the halls after their curfews, and their governesses thought that they had managed to put a stop to things.

Actually, the sisters had simply changed tactics. Both had private balconies overgrown with the blossoms of a flowering vine. Quite lovely-- and functional as well. The girls would let themselves down, dash across the courtyard, and creep up the vine on the opposite side. Because the courtyard was considered a very secure area, the guards only checked it occasionally, if at all, during their rounds.

The girls stopped that method of visiting a few years ago when Marlene fell on the way to Eries' room. Marlene, who was twelve at the time, was larger and heavier than she was at seven when they had first initiated the visits. She had also been somewhat careless during her climb and was not feeling for the sturdiest creepers to grasp onto. One third of the way up, a vine broke under her weight and she had tumbled to the ground. She was not hurt but startled enough never to climb again after that. She convinced Eries to stop as well. As they became older, they were no longer under curfew restrictions; such methods also became unnecessary as well.

But this was an emergency. Unwell or no, she had to get to Marlene, and this was the quickest way. She grasped a creeper, tested it, and began climbing. Carefully she ascended, nary rustling a leaf as she did so. Though it had been years since she had last climbed, her hands and feet had not forgotten and mercifully, her knee length skirt afforded quite a bit of mobility. With a sigh of relief, she clambered over the edge of the balcony. The double doors to Marlene's room were wide open, as if anticipating Eries' arrival.

She stepped carefully into the room. She took a few steps in the direction of Marlene's canopied bed and stopped to let her eyes adjust. It was much darker in the room than it was outside.

"Onee-sama," she called softly. She still couldn't see anything so she listened instead. Scuffling. And- the sound of Marlene moaning softly. Poor Marlene. Either she was having a nightmare or her headache was really affecting her sleep. Eries felt a little guilty as she knew that her news definitely would NOT make Marlene feel better.

She called Marlene again a little louder.

Then everything seemed to happen at once.

As the words left her mouth, the clouds parted and light broke through. The moons bathed everything in the room in a soft bluish gray light.

Including the two figures on the bed.

Eries gasped in shock. Someone was crouched over her sister! An intruder!!! But before she had a chance to scream and run for help, her arms were pinned to her side and a hand clamped firmly over her mouth. Her sister's attacker, moving with a speed Eries could scarcely believe, had leaped from the bed, and effectively immobilized her.

Almost.

Eries kicked and wriggled for all she was worth. She managed to make contact with what she guessed was her captor's knee. He grunted and the two of them tumbled to the parquet floor.

However, his hold over her arms and mouth were still firm. Eries twisted desperately, trying to rid herself of his iron grip. She had to get loose! Marlene needed her help! She was probably hurt or worse-!

"Eries, stop that at once!"

Eries froze immediately. Marlene's voice. But it was like ice. Marlene had NEVER used such a hostile tone towards her. What was going on?

Eries' confused mind gradually began to piece things together. Marlene was alive, and as best as she could tell, unhurt. For some reason, Marlene was furious at her. Eries was still tightly held by the "assailant" on the floor. However, when they had fallen, he had twisted such that Eries landed on HIM, softening the fall for her somewhat. At the moment she was lying awkwardly on her side on top of him… Wait a minute… Where her face was pressed against his chest and her bare calves were tangled with his legs, she contacted not clothing, but his bare skin.

Oh.

Oh my.

Oh *@!?#

Once the realization of what was going on hit Eries, her body went weak. Once he felt her go limp, he released her.

As they disentangled themselves, Eries recognized him in the light of the double moons streaming in through the high windows. Allen. Allen Schezar. And he was… not… wearing… much…

Eries scrambled to her feet and turned towards her sister. Marlene was sitting up in the bed with a sheet wrapped around herself. She was glaring at Eries. Fury and shame were plain on her perfect features.

"Onee-sama-"

"If you tell anyone of this, I swear I will make you regret it." Eries winced. Marlene's voice was low, but her acid tone made it worse than if she had been yelling at Eries.

Unable say anything, Eries mutely nodded.

"What do you think you were doing anyway?" vented Marlene. "Barging into my room like that?"

"Onee-sama, I'm--" faltered Eries, trying to collect her wits.

"Get out."

Suddenly, Eries remembered the reason why she came, her purpose nearly forgotten in the events of the past 2 minutes.

"I'm sorry but-"

"I said GET OUT!"

[Soundtrack 3, Track 11, Illusion]

"You're marrying Duke Freid in two weeks!" blurted Eries. "Father's decided. I heard them talking. They're announcing it tomorrow."

Eries' news was like a dagger to Marlene's heart. All the emotion drained from her face.

Eries could not take it anymore. "I'm sorry, Onee-sama," she whispered and exited the room as quickly as her wobbly legs could carry her.

As she climbed over the balcony for her descent, she looked one last time into her sister's room. She and Allen were sitting on the bed. His arms were over her, and he seemed to be trying to comfort her. Eries could hear her sobbing.

"Why did I have to be born a princess?"

"That was supposed to be me. I was supposed to be crying with her. NOT HIM,"thought Eries dejectedly.

Feeling utterly rejected, she tore her gaze away from the scene and hurried down. She somehow managed to make it to the courtyard in her distracted state without breaking her neck and tottered a few steps before sinking to the ground. She suddenly felt exhausted. Despite the heat, a chill settled over her. She leaned up against a nearby cherry tree and drew her knees to her chest. Curling into a ball, she began to weep silently.

She was drained, completely exhausted in every way. Her mind shut down. Her emotions numbed. She couldn't have moved if a guymelef was ready to step on her. She just sat, a steady trickle of tears streaming down her face.

This had to be one of the worst nights of her life.

Sometime later, before sunrise, she heard a soft thud. She raised her eyes enough to see Allen, who had just descended from Marlene's balcony. He was startled to see her there. It was replaced with a look that was- apologetic? Eries didn't have enough in her to feel anything- hate, disgust, anger, or otherwise. He looked as if he was about to say something to her, but stopped himself. They regarded each other silently in the moonlight. Then abruptly, Allen turned and disappeared into the night.

---- --- ---- -------

I hate this. I hate this. I hate this. I can't believe I'm doing this. I can't believe she asked me to do this. I hate this.

These thoughts chased each other in Eries' mind as she walked from her suite to her study. Two days earlier, a batch of missives had arrived from Freid. One formally announced the birth of the Crown Prince of Fried. Another was a personal letter from Duchess Marlene to her younger sister Eries. It was nothing out of the ordinary; Duchess Marlene and Princess Eries had been writing to each other often since Marlene's marriage to Duke Freid. However, inside this envelope was a smaller one, an envelope addressed to Allen that was currently tucked into Eries' pocket. Marlene's letter to Eries had included these words:

"Mahad knows everything now. I confessed to him my relationship with Allen a few days after Sid was born. And he forgave me my sins. Thank Kami-sama he forgave me! And he still loves me. So now, to add to the respect that has grown over these last months, he now has my heart. I love him.

Now, I beg of you, Eries, please deliver this message to Allen. As things stand now between us, I doubt Allen will truly find happiness. Closure is needed. You are the only one I can trust…"

Duh, thought Eries bitterly. OF COURSE. I'm the only one she can trust. I'm the one who KNOWS anything. She reached her study, let herself in, and slammed the door, startling a few servants in the hallway.

Calm down, Eries. Eries leaned with her back against the door and took a few deep breaths.

In the days preparing for Marlene's marriage and departure to Freid, the two sisters had skirted around what had happened that night until Marlene finally could not take it anymore. She sought out Eries in her room her last night in Asturia and the two sisters talked frankly. When Marlene left for Freid the next day, she took with her Eries' assurance that Eries would not tell a soul about Marlene's relationship with Allen. They also managed to mend their own relationship, although for Eries, it seemed to have lost an aspect of intimacy it once had. Or, rather, she thought that it had.

At any rate, the two sisters kept in touch. Eries knew all about Marlene's fears and challenges. Adjusting to a new land, new culture, new responsibilities. Learning to live with the stranger that was her husband. His obvious adoration and attempts to win her favor. (Eries still couldn't believe he moved the villa to Freid.) And wondering all that time what would happen if her secret got out. In the end, apparently, Marlene made the confession of her own volition and the repercussions had been much less than she could ever have imagined. For Marlene's sake, Eries was grateful for that but…

"I don't want to deal with HIM!" she thought, slamming open her planner onto her desk.

Up until that night, she had alternately pitied and admired Allen. Admiration because of the swordsman he had become. Pity because he always seemed alone. He had no family to speak of, and he remained aloof from others. Some, remembering his family's shameful history, avoided him. However, the majoriy was drawn to him because of his title, his swordsmanship, or simply his drop-dead good looks. But, although he was always polite and courteous, he never opened himself up to others or struck up a rapport with anyone. Or so Eries had thought, until she had found him in his sister's bed.

Now she didn't know WHAT to think of him. Whether he really was alone or if he was prowling about at night, romancing other women the way he had with Marlene. Marlene had told Eries that Allen was not like that, that SHE had been the one to pursue him and disarm his inhibitions. But Eries was not sure if Marlene was telling the truth or just saying that so Eries would not think badly of him. She was also aware her feelings were clouding her judgement. She was acting like a jealous little sister, but she couldn't help it. So she handled it the only way she could think of.

She avoided him.

Someone knocked softly at the door.

Until now.

Eries checked her timepiece. Right on time. "Come in, please."

Allen entered the study. "Princess Eries," he said, bowing to her formally.

"Please have a seat." Eries' voice was polite but emotionless. Allen seated himself on the chair on the other side of Eries' desk as Eries pulled out a map of the palace and a schedule. The atmosphere in the room was detached, businesslike. "Are we both pretending nothing ever happened?" thought Eries.

Eries had sent for Allen for the most mundane and legitimate of reasons. That evening a fete was to be held at the palace to celebrate the 500th Anniversary of the establishment of Palas as Asturia's capital. Eries, as the current Lady of the Castle, was the principal hostess of the celebration and in charge of organizing the festivities. Allen, as the current Head of the Royal Guards, was in charge of security for all such events. As always, some last minute changes had been made in the program, and the princess was simply updating Sir Allen on the schedule.

Nothing out of the ordinary at all.

Except that Eries had always delegated this particular task to her assistant Reina. Eries considered it ironic that this was probably one of the only tasks Marlene would NOT delegate.

The matters concerning the fete were handled in record time. Allen rose to take his leave of Eries.

"Wait… there is one more item."

"Yes, Princess Eries?" Allen stood, regarding Eries expectantly.

So he's figured there's something going on. Not surprising. This is the first time we've seen each other that I haven't turned and run away.

Eries put her hand in her pocket, pulled out the letter and held it out to Allen. "This is for you." She was surprised at how calmly she managed to say it. "I strongly advise you to read it in private."

Allen's eyes widened. Whatever it was he had been expecting, it wasn't this. An envelope with Marlene's graceful handwriting handed out to him.

He stared.

Eries began to feel uncomfortable.

"Sir Allen?"

Allen snapped back to attention. He took the envelope. With a quick bow and "by your leave, Princess." He swiftly left the room.

As the door closed behind, Eries let out the breath she had been holding. She turned her attention to the final items that had to be taken care of before the fete. She didn't want to think about the light that had come into Allen's eyes when he saw the envelope. Or the possibility that Allen's feelings for Marlene might have been genuine…

"You'd best start getting ready for the fete!" said George as he and Reina exited the study.

"What are you talking about? We've finished two hours AHEAD of schedule!" Eries smiled and waved the two off. George had been just installed a few weeks ago, and as far as assistants were concerned, he was a Godsend to her and Reina.

Eries hummed a tune to herself as she put a few things away. She might even get to enjoy this party instead of running around trying to fix other people's mistakes-

The door burst open.

"What the-"

It was Allen. Furious was an understatement.

Before Eries could react, he shut the door, come up to her, and grabbed her roughly by the arm.

He thrust the opened envelope in her face. "Is this some kind of sick joke?" His voice was not loud but there was uncontrolled anger in it.

Eries shook herself from his grasp. How dare he! She drew herself up to her full height (which unfortunately only came up to his shoulder) and countered his glare with a matching intensity of her own.

I will NOT be cowed by him.

"You know it's not," she growled.

"You're lying."

"It's the truth."

"No."

"It is. Think about it. That's HER handwriting. I haven't had ANYTHING to do with you since she's left. Why would I start now?"

For a second Eries thought that Allen was going to strike her. Then she recognized it. She'd seen it before.

The storm in his eyes.

Years ago at his mother's grave.

He HAD loved Marlene. And now he's lost- again. It took a split second for that to register, and suddenly all the fight went out of her.

"Allen," she said softly. "Don't do this." He seemed somewhat put off balance in the sudden change of her tone.

"What's done is done. She's another man's wife now. She has a child. I don't know what she said to you in the past, but that can't be anymore. Now she has a chance for happiness. Don't you want her to strive for that, instead of pining for a love that can't be?"

Eries' words failed to lessen his fury. He glared at her for a few seconds and abruptly turned to go.

"Listen to me!!" Eries grabbed his arm, stopping him in mid stride. "Don't do this to yourself. Marlene had no control over the situation. Yes, she loves someone else now, but that doesn't mean you were nothing to her. She took a huge risk in getting that message to you. What if someone had intercepted it? What kind of scandal would that have been? She was concerned enough about you and your happiness to take that risk. Do you understand me?"

"If you truly love her, let her go."

Allen's eyes narrowed as he regarded her pleas. He shook her off roughly. "What do you know?"

"What do I know indeed?" thought Eries as she watched him stalk away.

** *** **

Although Eries had played the role of "Lady of the Castle" for ten months now, she was still uncomfortable in the role. Especially at huge gatherings like this. For the thousandth time, she wished she could revert back to her old "Sniper" self instead of playing hostess.

For one thing it would mean that she would not have to look the part. Although she was sixteen, she still looked like a little girl playing dress-up whenever she wore a formal lady's dress. At least she had gotten taller. She had gained a considerable amount of height in the last few months so that had attained the height of an adult. Unfortunately, most of her body's energies seemed to have been spent on growing up and not much elsewhere. She had asked her seamstress if she had any experience in outfitting scarecrows…

As it was, she was wearing a long sleeved, high collared gown. It was three shades of blue and had a long ruffled skirt. Stylish, and appropriate but very, very conservative. Quite a contrast from the daring dresses Marlene had worn and almost all the other young ladies were wearing tonight. Eries had not done this out of modesty's sake, but because she figured it was her only option. To wear a dress that flattered curves when your curves were non-existent was, well, both UN-flattering and embarrassing.

Eries stifled a yawn. The party was only half over and she was already ready for bed. That was another thing. Although Eries was enjoying herself, it drained her to have to socialize with so many people. "How did Marlene do it?" she wondered as Lord Dumas, her father's principal treasurer, and his wife approached her. Eries quickly pulled herself together for yet another round of chit-chat.

For the fortieth time she graciously accepted compliments on how nicely the fete was arranged and asked if they enjoyed the refreshments. Yes they did, and wasn't the reenactment of King Ronald nice?

It was almost as if everyone had been given the same script along with the invitation thought Eries.

She moved onto the next topic. "And where's Doreen? Was she able to make it?"

"Oh yes, I do believe she is at the ballroom with her cousins," replied Lady Dumas.

Lord Dumas snorted.

"Now dear, if she wants to dance, there's no harm in that?" soothed Lady Dumas.

"It's not the dancing I'm concerned about, it's her potential partner."

"Well, considering what we've seen tonight I doubt she'll get another chance. But honestly! If I were her age, I'd probably be crowding for a dance as well."

"I still don't like it. He may be a Caeli, but considering his family's past I don't want her getting close enough to start getting ideas," grumbled Lord Dumas.

"Pardon me, but what exactly are you talking about?" Eries was completely confused by their interchange.

"You mean you don't know?"

Eries shook her head.

"You might as well have called the fete "The 500th Anniversary Celebration of Palas, and Sir Allen Schezar VIII's Debut. He's been the center of attention in the ballroom since the dancing started.

"Really?" Eries was flabbergasted. Allen always kept to himself. At these types of events, he would perform his duties as required and leave shortly thereafter. Eries couldn't recall him being in a ballroom unless it was his shift, let alone dancing.

"See for yourself," said Lady Dumas.

Eries excused herself. As she headed for the ballroom, she heard Lord Dumas muttering something about another smitten female. You couldn't be more wrong, she thought as she made her way through the crowds.

They were right. There, waltzing on the dance floor was Allen. His current partner, Lady Morgan, looked as if she were on cloud nine. Eries watched as he whispered something into her ear. Whatever he said left her positively glowing with delight. Eries then noticed that all the young ladies, and some of the older ones as well were watching Allen. Even some of the ladies dancing would sneak glances over their partner's shoulders at him.

This is ridiculous, thought Eries. Even level headed Reina was part of the crowd.

Allen finished the dance by bowing elegantly and kissing Lady Morgan's hand. Perfectly acceptable courtly behaviour, but not a gesture previously associated with Allen until tonight. After escorting Lady Morgan off the dance floor, Allen was immediately surrounded by a swarm of would-be partners.

Eries decided that she had seen enough. As she headed out to the Main Courtyard, where preparations were being made for the evening's fireworks display, she tried to ignore all the attention the once reclusive Caeli was generating. Exiting the ballroom, Eries passed by a small group of matrons who were speculating about the cause, if any, for Allen's change in behaviour.

"If you only knew…" she thought.

AN: We want to acknowledge the real "Sniper." Thanks for having such a cool nickname! By the way, the part about Eries blending into the background and spooking people who didn't even realize she was there is based on actual experiences by Sniper (that's why she's called Sniper).