Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Bad Dreams ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Bad Dreams
By angelwings1
 
 
 
Chapter 2
 
The sun had not quite reached the sky when he pushed open his glass balcony doors. A blast of cool air bellowed through his room, combing through his messy hair. Cringing, he wrapped his arm tightly around his sleeveless nightshirt and stepped out.
 
There were barely any cries from the birds that early in the morning. Leaning against the rail, he exhaled deeply and hung his head. Every since the seer had begun stealing his dreams, he had been waking up before the dawn. At first it had been pleasant to wake up to the heavy silence. He could almost sense the world's heavy eyes fluttering open at this hour. This was the time of day he felt most comfortable.
 
Once he taken the throne the council had been on his back at every available moment. He had been one of the youngest kings to reign in Fanelia and his council, along with most of the kingdom, had been fearful of their ruler. The kingdom had been in mass hysteria when the entire royal family, save the youngest son, was murdered. Not only were they worried about his capability of bearing the weight of the entire kingdom at such an early age, but also because it was so close after traumatically witnessing his parents and brother's deaths.
 
However when everyone was waiting for him to fail, he had proved his worth. In less than a year he had regrouped his people, defeated his family's killers, and restored his kingdom. It had been nearly five years since he first took over Fanelia and his people were, already, one of the most prosperous countries on Gaea.
 
It caused a great deal of festivities and brought a happy peace to the citizens' hearts, but at what cost? For years, he had buried his emotions and accepted his responsibility. They had expected him to grieve and he did, by fueling all his energy into fixing his kingdom. He had never faced the truth of his situation. He had pressed his shoulder firmly into his duty ignoring the pleas of his head general and friend, Balgus, to take the time to mourn.
 
He had been strong. He had been able to withstand everything and still bring his kingdom back into high standing in Gaea. The consequence was that his mind couldn't handle it anymore. He was able to keep himself in check during the day, but there was no way to protect his dreams.
 
His eyes squeezed shut and his fingers tightened on the rail. He had been foolish to believe he could be strong enough to bear it this long. Now he was the burden his kingdom had feared. The council had been careful to keep his condition secret, but it wouldn't be long before gossip would reach outside the castle and he was powerless to stop it.
 
Taking a deep breath, King Van Fanel stared down on his garden, losing the confidence he had held for so long. His dreary thoughts quickly faded from his mind, though, as a flowing figure appeared down beneath his balcony. The morning was still shadowy so he couldn't distinguish what color robes she wore, but he knew instantly it was the seer. She appeared to be freezing with her fists clenching her toga wrap tight, but she still refrained from wearing long sleeves. At least she had enough sense to wear shoes, even if they were sandals.
 
He was tempted to call out to her, but he instead silently followed her path with his eyes as she headed towards the lone gravel at the end of the garden. He had never spent any of free time conversing with her in all the long month she had been here and to start now felt odd. It wasn't that he was afraid of her witchery. He just felt ashamed every time he was in her presence. She was the one who could see his torment, know how weak he was. No one knew the weak points of his heart, yet, she could undo him with barely a word if she chose.
 
The wind picked up and her feet quickened along the path.
 
His heart dropped when he shamefully realized she did have every chance to destroy him. Their conversations had always been chaperoned by, at least, Balgus and Merle. He was stupid to believe this woman would willfully hurt him when in every time they had spoken she had calmly asked for permission to speak with him.
 
When he had first met the woman, he was shocked to meet such a young seer. He had always heard that Mystics' powers grew with age. He had expected to meet a woman reaching her nineties.
 
She had been dressed in the same robes he always saw her in: cream color sheets wrapped around her body like a monk. The sheets tied over her left shoulder, wrapping around the front and cascading down the back. Her right shoulder was bare, exposing the graceful sweep of her neck to hungry eyes.
 
Even with her obvious naivety to the royal society, the seer had been polite, and somber. Her eyes were filled with excitement at the view of his elegant home, but they were also sharp. He could not deny the depths of their brilliance or their beauty when he had wearily stared down at her from his throne.
 
"You are a seer?" he had asked feebly, unable to find any energy left after a sleepless week.
 
"Yes, lord" she replied, respectfully dropping to her knees.
 
Finding his throat dry, he had nodded to his general to continue.
 
"How can you help us?" Balgus had asked gently.
 
The woman had quietly stood and that's when he had noticed her bare feet. They were stained dark brown and wrapped in bandages. She had obviously traveled a long way and on foot.
 
"I can help by teaching his majesty to protect his heart" she had answered, ignoring the king's gaze.
 
"His heart?" a council member had scoffed loudly. "It is nightmares that plague him!"
 
"But dreams are the result of a trouble heart" she replied easily, not at all disheartened by the man's arrogant glare. Balgus glanced uncertainly to his king, but Van didn't notice. He was still looking at her feet.
 
The man snorted. "I believe you have things wrong here, madam."
 
"Then next time don't call me so far from my home if you think I don't know what I'm talking about," her emerald eyes had narrowed on him.
 
The man shuffled on his feet and glowered down at her. Balgus quickly stepped in to intercept the growing fight. "We mean no disrespect to you, my lady--"
 
"I fail to see that" she had snapped beneath her breath. He never would have known she had said it if Merle's big ears had not caught it and she had not laughed about it later. She had been quite impressed with the girl's spunk.
 
"For a month we have searched fruitlessly for some cure for our king" Balgus had said gently. "You are our last solution, and what you offer is hardly what we expected."
 
The seer had frowned and turned her sparkling eyes to the silent king. "What could you possibly have expected of me, my lord?"
 
Van lifted his face to her and sighed. "For a little over a month my dreams have been unlivable. I've tried to keep them secret, but I have begun to scream in my sleep and am unable to wake myself."
 
Her face softened as she listened and he wondered what she was thinking. Did she pity him? Did she think him weak? At that moment, he was so undone by lack of sleep that he didn't care. All he wanted was a cure to save him from this mess.
 
"My dear lady" his voice dropped to a soft whisper, "my health is quickly failing and with it my kingdom. I have no wife or children to rule in this time and I am far from suitable to handle a kingdom. I do not know what all you can do or how protecting my heart can help, but if you can offer me sleep or some way of handling my nightmares than I plead with you to do so, if not for my sake than for my kingdom."
 
Her eyes stared at the ground and he wondered how his words could get her brow to pinch in a scowl. The council and his four generals anxiously waited for her answer. Van was fully ready for her to say there was no cure. He was expecting to die with his nightmares. When her face lifted, her audience swallowed and held their breath.
 
"I can offer you more" she stated, her words carefully spoken. "But I warn you it is only a temporary solution."
 
They said nothing, but their eager eyes stared expectantly. Hitomi lifted her chin and swallowed. "I can steal his dreams."
 
Balgus jumped in first, "Steal them?"
 
She nodded stiffly. "Whenever he dreams I can take them away and he will sleep an empty sleep."
 
"That's perfect" exclaimed one of the general.
 
"Finally!" shouted another.
 
"You are too fast!" she insisted frantically. "To steal a person's dreams is no better than letting them sleep nightmares. Dreams are the result of the heart's troubles. Sooner or later, possibly years from now, his heart will make him sick and destroy him."
 
"But he won't have nightmares anymore?" a council member interrupted.
 
Hitomi sighed softly. "Well, yes, after a time, he will no longer need me to steal his dreams. He will dream without dreams."
 
Instantly the advisors and generals began to buzz excitedly. The seer's hand quickly shot up. "But wait!"
 
Their heads turned to her, keen on setting out with the plan. Hitomi looked at each pointedly.
 
"To steal his dreams will not take away his pain" she stated firmly, her eyes desperate. "I cannot erase what lies in one heart."
 
"By then he will have learned to handle whatever stress is on his heart" one man grunted already stepping away from the king. Balgus knelt beside his lord, whispering feverishly, but the noble was busy staring at her.
 
Several of the council sought to follow the first, but the king quickly rose. "Wait!"
 
Everyone froze.
 
Hitomi stood perfectly erect as she noticed his eyes were stonily set on her. Unsteadily, Van stepped down from his throne, the council tentatively seeking to help him, and walked towards her. She nervously watched him, feeling like he was stalking her like some predator. Taking the center point between his council and her, the lord asked loudly. "Did you walk all this way here, my lady?"
 
The seer scowled, glancing towards the rest of the men and seeing their own confusion. Looking back at the king she replied honestly, "I did, my lord."
 
Van's jaw tightened. "Do you not have any shoes?"
 
Hitomi's scowl never lifted. "No, my lord. I do not have the coin to spare."
 
"And did not my soldiers accompany you?" his voice could barely hold down the fury beating in his chest.
 
Realizing what he was getting to, Hitomi's lips went into a tight line and she looked pointedly passed his head. "They did."
 
"On horseback?"
 
"Yes" she answered.
 
He angrily looked towards the pair of knights guarding the chamber doors and growled. "Have those men brought to me."
 
They nodded obediently and ducked hastily out the doors, praying hard for those soldiers' well being. The young seer stared at the king in surprise.
 
"My foster sister, Lady Merle, will tend to your needs, my lady" he replied, offering his hand. "And the first thing she will get for you is shoes."
 
Hitomi nodded and placed her hand in his. "I thank you, my lord."
 
"No, it is you who deserves thanks" he said gently. Hitomi blushed innocently at the contact and watched with fond amusement as he took a moment to study the intricate tattoo of angel wings wrapped around her wrist.
 
Straightening, he added, "We are gracious for you to have come at such great lengths to offer your services, lady…?"
 
"Hitomi" she offered with a smile. "I wanted to help. I knew it was no easy task called upon and hoped I could do something."
 
"I hope as well" he replied softly, loosing what was left of his strength in standing. "But I feel it may be a hopeless task."
 
Finally his hand released hers, but the warmth of the touch lingered.
 
He remembered how his council kept their distance of her as she was escorted out by his sister. More so, he was aware of how disrespectfully the soldiers who brought her to Fanelia had jumped out of her path when they had entered. Once she was gone, he violently shouted at them for their dishonor, exclaiming how it was unfit of a knight to never offer his horse to a woman, especially to one barefoot. Each of the knights had shamefully kept their silence as the king ordered them to hard labor for punishment, but he knew what was going through their heads.
 
"I will never let that witch near me or my horse."
 
Van sighed again as he saw her approach the temple at the edge of the forest. He wondered how the servants treated her. He had caught word from his sister that they kept their distance or set curious eyes on the seer.
 
"Do they bother her?" he had asked.
 
"Surprisingly, no" the cat had replied. "She appears to either not know or not care. The later is what I assume. She keeps mostly to the garden or to the kitchen, helping with the chores, but that's when I am with her. When she is on her own, she heads for the temple."
 
"The temple?" he was astounded. "Why would she go to the temple of our god? I would have thought it would go against her religion."
 
Merle had shrugged. "She seems eager to go there when she can. She never says why."
 
Did she feel at home in their foreign alabaster sanctuary? Was there a temple back in the Mystic Valley she kept to? He felt as if there was something significant that they were all ignoring.
 
The only time he spent with her was when she came to him to teach. That was about three times a week. Each time she had asked what he dreamed about, but never much more than that. Balgus and Merle had always been there when they had their short conversations.
 
“What did you dream about this time?”
 
Sitting on the edge of his messy bed, he leaned heavily on his hands as he braced them on his knees.
 
“I saw my family murdered again” he had mumbled sleepily. He hardly wanted to talk about those disturbing images, but he knew this woman would only ask this if it was necessary. “I saw them kill my mother.”
 
“Who killed them?” she asked gently, eyes watching him like a hawk would a mouse.
 
“Black knights” he whispered, pressing his face into his palm. “They were Zaibach soldiers.”
 
She glanced at the ground in thought. Merle and Balgus looked to each other.
 
“What else did you see?” she had asked gently.
 
Van didn't answer. His thoughts angrily settled on the face of the man who had been his brother.
 
“There was someone else in your dream” she had prodded firmly. “Who was the man with bluish hair?”
 
His heart had shuddered when she said that. She had seen into his dreams. She had flinched, almost as if she had felt the shift in his emotions. Hitomi's jaw had tensed and Balgus had quickly noticed. Slowly the king's eyes had lifted to the seer.
 
“My brother” he spat out.
 
Her eyes had softened and she had blinked rapidly as though trying to hold back tears. Hitomi said nothing after that. She simply bowed and left, leaving him empty and angry. Balgus and Merle were beginning to grow impatient saying she was being cruel to him to make him relive such nightmares.
 
But days after her last appearance, he disagreed. He was certain there was some reason as to why she specifically asked these questions. She didn't appear to enjoy bringing up the subject.
 
Hitomi walked noiselessly into the temple. The satin white curtains cascaded down on either side of her as she stepped under the tall arch. It was a glorious temple, head to toe in white marble with gold trim. She had never seen such beauty. The temple back home was splendid, but did not compare to the rich detail woven into the delicate hand-carved dragons spread throughout the main room.
 
Her eyes instantly went to the pearl stone figure on the farthest wall, a spiny dragon with outstretched wings. The coldness of the stone floor swept up through her bare feet, having respectfully left her sandals at the door. The massive head stretched out from the wall, eyes hungrily set on her as she stepped beneath the central, scarlet skylight.
 
At the foot of the beast was a shallow pool, no deeper than few inches. It curved delicately around the statue, disappearing
 
There were only a few feet between her and the stone jaws gaping at her. Her hand instinctively went to her pendant as her heart waned.
 
"The dreams are coming every night now" her soft voice hung in the still room, echoing off the high ceiling. "Every night I see the same destruction, the same monster in the fire."
 
Her hands clenched the pendant as she turned teary eyes to the white dragon. The face appeared deaf to her, making her heart squeeze.
 
"I know you are no God of my people" she whispered desperately, "By my law, I shouldn't even speak to you."
 
Still the eyes stayed frozen, distant.
 
She bit her lip and tears slipped from her eyes. "But if you are the protector of this kingdom, then please hear me. The fate of Fanelia is plummeting and someone will seek to tear down its new kingdom."
 
She felt small beneath the dragon's gaze as he stared right through her.
 
"Will you not listen to me?" she sobbed. "Escaflowne, God of the Sky, please hear me."
 
The silence was deafening and the last shred of hope in her heart wilted. Defeated, the young seer dropped her head, letting her brown hair hang in her eyes. She numbly watched her tears make dark spots on the polished marble floor. Her fingers fell limp from their prior curled fists.
 
She had been praying hard for over a week. When she had first had the dream she had hoped it was just another one of her suppressed fears following her into sleep, but after a full week of repeated nightmares, she could not deny the growing possibility that the frightening images were a vision. Hitomi sobbed weakly.
'Dear God in Heaven, help me. Show me what I should do.'
 
Each sob racked through her heart and rattled down her weak limbs. She wondered if she would suddenly just die from the sorrow eating away at her chest.
 
'They will never accept the word from a witch.'
 
Through the blur of her tears, she focused on her reflection in the smooth marble. Her hair was in desperate need of a comb and her eyes were bloodshot. She was a mess.
 
"What should I do?" she whispered to the reflection, staring desperately into her own eyes. She wished desperately for someone to guide her.
 
Abruptly, a faint noise clicked behind her. Hitomi hastily wiped her cheeks clean. Whirling around and combing her hair with her fingers, the seer hurried to duck out of the temple. She didn't care if someone did judge her for meditating in a foreign shrine. It was her business, but she did worry about making others uncomfortable. She would rather leave the temple all together to give someone privacy than demand a share.
 
"Lady Hitomi?"
 
The seer glanced up and froze in mid-step.
 
"My lord" she stumbled over the words as she stared openly at him. "I didn't think you would be up before the sun."
 
"I didn't think you would be either" he grinned warmly, his hands settling comfortably behind his back. "You can imagine my curiosity than to see you walking towards the temple moments earlier."
 
Hitomi blushed. "Sleep has been hard to find these last few days. I usually would go to my temple back home to meditate when I was uneasy."
 
He nodded gently and momentarily studied the intricate tattoos wrapped over her wrists and forearms. Each time he saw her, he found his eyes tracing the brown lines. They were mostly images of angels with wings stretching. He had never seen such beautiful, rural designs in all his travels.
 
On the back of her right hand an angel bowed with its wings spread out in a forty-five degree angle. There was no hair or facial features to distinguish the sex of the figure, but the curves of the lines suggested a young woman. The angel was encased in the center of the pentagon of a star, her wings stretched out parallel to the horizontal points. Her left wrist was wrapped in flowing lines of angelic wings, stars blending in and out of the designs. When she turned the palm into view he caught a glimpse of a simple star.
 
Her naked shoulder was bathed in the most intricate of designs. Tiny, detailed angels and stars surrounded an empty circle. The blank area drew his eyes into a trance and he thought he saw within the ring her flesh ripple with life.
 
She immediately became self-conscious under his gaze and nervously rubbed her arm. When her hand passed over the circle, his eyes refocused and he noticed her shyness. Van quickly turned away, giving her plenty of room as he came to stand at her side, facing the statue as she faced the exit. She watched him expectantly, growing edgy with each quiet second that passed.
 
He smirked and glanced at her through the corner of his eye. "Please, don't let me spoil your meditation."
 
Swallowing the lump in her throat, she glanced at the door, anxious to disappear from this mysterious king. Even if she had seen into his secret nightmares, she still knew little to nothing about this young man.
 
"I would rather not disturb you if you came here to find comfort in the sanctuary" she replied calmly, feeling her heart ease. "So if you will allow it, I shall leave you to the peaceful silence."
 
She quickly went for the exit, barely concealing her anxiety from the king.
 
"I would rather you stay" his soft words caught her off guard.
 
She stopped under the arch, the curtains reaching out and tickling her stiff arms. Her eyes peeked over her shoulder, unable to understand what he had just said.
 
“What?” she mumbled as she stared at him incredulously.
 
It was his turn to become nervous and Van shifted uncomfortably. He immediately turned to the stone dragon, pleading for advice.
 
“There are few I am willing to console with here” he confessed, bringing his back firmly to her face. “I am a man who is seen as an indestructible figure.”
Hitomi suddenly had lost her need to leave, feeling her heart yearn to hear his voice. There was so much pain laced hidden beneath his words and she desperately wanted to ease it.
 
“You are still just a man” she said gently. “Just because you were born with royal blood, doesn't mean you're perfect.”
 
“That's why I come here alone” he replied weakly. “If they saw me come here and pray for guidance and courage, my people would doubt their king. My kingdom already doubts.”
 
Hitomi's heart broke with each word. She couldn't understand how any king, especially one as young as he, could stand so tall against the pressures. She was a novice seer and she could barely hold her own as it was.
 
“My kingdom deserves a future” he continued boldly. “I don't want to burden them with my problems when they've already had plenty.”
 
He was man who deserved a childhood, a family. He wasn't meant to suffer this trial so early. It wasn't fair. Was she the only one who could see that?
 
“You can't stand alone forever” she suddenly burst out. Hitomi gasped and quickly bowed her head in shame. Van turned to her with a shocked face as Hitomi stared furiously at her toes. “I'm sorry. I hardly know anything about courts and royals to be spouting advice so rudely.”
 
“No” he shook his head, eyes bright like sapphires in firelight. “You're right.”
 
Hitomi slowly dared a shy look up at the king. She was slightly confused at his grin. Van chuckled, “You've already convinced me that I should value your advice.”
 
“Really?” Hitomi blurted.
 
“Of course” the king answered, stepping towards her. “You have brought peace to my sleep.”
 
Hitomi shook her head. “It might be a difficult task, but it doesn't prove your trust is valid.”
 
The king's eyes softened and she quickly became aware of how special his eye color was. She had never seen eyes such a lovely shade of reddish-brown.
“Yes it does” he insisted warmly. “You could have refused to help me, especially after how rude my soldiers were to you.”
 
“I suppose that's true” she whispered, hiding her warm face. “But I've dealt with that before. Besides, I wasn't looking for an award for this job.”
 
“But you deserve civility, at the very least” he insisted, stomping in emphasis. “You've helped a stranger when you knew you might get no payment. You've also done as you promised to help my sleep.”
 
“But I have yet to teach you how to protect your heart” she interrupted loudly. “It's been a month now and I have yet to fulfill the whole of that promise.”
His worried eyes lingered on her flush face, seeing her tired frustration. This woman was so strange to him. Her appearance made her so different, but when he looked deep into her green eyes he could see only a strong woman.
 
“I have no doubt that you will keep that promise” he spoke softly.
 
In that instant Hitomi realized just how grave of a job she had taken. Maybe she hadn't meant to place herself in such an important position, but here she was. She might have thought she was coming to save a single man, but instead she was learning with a sickening astonishment that she was brought here to save a kingdom.
 
Shakly, the seer rounded her shoulders and gave a tiny smile. Van almost thought he saw a few tears in her eyes.
 
“Just remember, my lord, we are not so different” she stated with a foreboding tone. “I may be able to steal nightmares and read dreams, but I am still only human.”
 
She, then, whirled out of the sanctuary.