Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ For A Life Together ❯ The Sickness ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


~All Character's belong to their respective owners and I sadly don't own them except for the story their forced to act. *sadistic grin* hehehehe....~



Escaflowne

The Sickness

"What did you say?" Allen rushed forward to the individual who claimed to have saw the man initiate the attack. The young man was scared and stumbled over his words but with a friend by his side to clam his nerves, his blue eyes stared back up at the Solider and continued to speak.

"After the first bombing, everyone was scrambling to get away and trying to douse the fire that was spreading to other homes near by. There was a man who I saw walk out of the alley way and quickly into the one across from that one, towards the castle, where the last bomb went off. I followed him and there he met up with two other men and they spoke to each other, to where I couldn't hear and split off. I lost them after that, but after the last bomb went off, I saw him again, or it could have been another... I'm not sure and he headed away from my sight, into another alley way. There are people here who are setting this up and there will be another attack soon. I know there will!" Allen was glaring at the younger man, but not at him, only because of the meaning behind his rushed words.

'There are more bombs, there will be more.'

"Will you show us where you saw the man? Where he went?" There was a slow nod from him. "Good. I will have guards escort you and a team go out to search for these bombs. Perhaps they were strategically placed around the city." Allen motioned for one of the solider's to gather up the wanted men and proceed with his plan. 'Not only could there be bombs placed strategically throughout the city but there could be the biggest threat to the castle. Would they take it that far? Is this what they wanted?'

His head darted from one side to another, trying to locate the king and he immediately spotted him leaning up against a pillar, breathing fast and coughing harshly. Allen picked up his long legs and raced over to see Van. The young man was trying to catch his breath and when Allen reached him Van stepped out from behind the pillar.

"Allen?" The surprised registered in his features for a moment before returning to his stressed and tired facade.

"Van, what are you still doing here? You shouldn't be out here, you should be inside!" Van's pale face contorted angrily.

"And what use am I to the people inside the castle?"

"They probably want to kill you! You are open to attack here and the people will fall apart if they know that you're dead! You are their only hope to try to stop this and if you're out here, then your susceptible to whatever those bastards are going to pull. Please go inside. You have done all that you could and if you do anymore, your body will not be able to handle it all. You need rest and you-" before he could say any more, Van's hands reached out to grab onto Allen's shirt, which at first looked threatening but Allen noticed that the king was slowly falling to his feet. "Van?" The hands loosened and the tall blonde caught Van in his arms, the said man was breathing harshly and not moving at all. Allen cursed to himself and picked up the smaller man in his arms, full out running to the castle.

"I need a doctor!" He yelled to one of the castles maids. She quickly nodded but he continued toward the castle. Someone saw what was going on and who it was in his arms. There was a sudden up roar of worried murmurs and people crying that there was no hope. A man cried out to the crowd, "The king is down! There's no hope! We're all dead!!"

Allen cursed to himself. Like they needed more trouble. The people needed to calmed, not panicked.

"Allen!" There was a young voice calling out his name and he continued, knowing she was fast enough to catch up to him. A few seconds later, the young girl was at his side. "Oh my god! What happened to Lord Van? Is he ok? What happened!?" Merle was going into hysterics and Allen could only continue searching and glancing about for a doctor.

"Merle, look for Van's doctor! Send him into the emergency room. Hurry!" The young girl stopped and just watched the tall man run faster to the castle with the limp king in his arms.

"Oh, please be okay, please." She ran off to locate the man who treated Van all his life.

~~*~~

Green eyes opened slowly, tiredly. They kept closing but a hand came up to rub them to stay awake. Hitomi glanced over to her clock and the time was past one o'clock. Late, definitely late but she could only think that something happened. Something bad and her heart ached at that horrible thought. Why couldn't she just think that it was just him forgetting and falling asleep? Why couldn't she think that some business came up and needed his undivided attention and he had to postpone coming to see her? The truth was, she felt that something was not right. That feeling that she knew all so well.

"Van . . . " Nothing happened. No one answered. But she did not expect that. Images of the wonderful man she fell in love with appeared in her head. That beautiful hair and those eyes that she could drown in. The feel of his warm bronzed skin against hers, his arms making her feel as though no harm could come her way. Why wasn't he here? Why? She didn't understand what could have happened to him.

She jerked in spot and gasped out loud. An image appeared in her head, which sent a horrible, gut-wrenching feeling throughout her body. Coughing, painful and harsh sounds. Breathlessness.

Oh god ...pneumonia....

Hitomi was immobile for a moment, not knowing what to do. She needed to see him, she needed to know what the exact details were for that disease. She needed to know if they were able to cure something like that there. Oh, there was just so many questions but no one to answer them!

"No!" She rubbed her face hard with her hands, bringing a reddish hue to her light skin. What was she going to do? 'Find out what it is, what the symptoms are, what are the ways to cure it and somehow get into contact with them.'

'How?' Her over working mind asked. 'How are you going to get to him? You don't have the pendant!'

"I know!" She yelled to herself feeling the anguish and frustration cloud her mind. She knew that she could not go back unless she had the pendant and the only other way she could even consider was through Van's feather. That was the only other choice that she had.

When she abandoned her thoughts, Hitomi found herself half way down her stairs and heading to her mother's office, where the older woman kept her personal computer that had Internet capabilities. She knew what she was to do, it was only a matter of a few minutes where she was hoping what she had planned was going to work.

She hoped so... she prayed to god that everything would turn out okay.

~~*~~