Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ For A Life Together ❯ Hopeless ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Continuation of Episode 26.

~All Character's belong to their respective owners and I sadly don't own them except for the story their forced to act. *sadistic grin* hehehehe....~



Escaflowne

Hopeless



They turned around quickly to see, that in the debris of the nearest building, were several people and one of them was a woman, who was shaking her husband to wake up. The husband was covered in blood from his current injuries, but everyone knew he also was suffering from the wood that was on top of him, most likely that the man had some crushed bones and was in serious pain.

Van and Merle were already racing to their side with Van yelling out orders for his men to complete.

"I need strong soldiers over here now!" Van hurried and took hold of the woman's arms. "Please, I need you to calm down." Soldiers and a few other people arrived seconds later, immediately lifting rubble and checking the man's breathing level.

"No! God, please help him! Your Majesty, please save him!" The woman pleaded in his arms. "Save him, don't let him die, don't let him die!" Her voice rose and fell with shaky and unstable emotions as the able soldiers and men, that could help, were taking the larger pieces of wood and fallen debris off of him so they could get him out of the way of any other danger. But the man was immobile to all those that could see.

"Please, you need to calm down." Van held the woman as she clung to him for support. "They are doing every thing they can," He tried to sooth her but he was never good at this kind of thing.

The grunts were heard as the men lifted the heavy wood and shouts as to where to toss it. Over all this screaming and commanding, there was a voice so soft, everyone fell silent.

"Sw..ee..tie?" One doctor that was still checking him began scolding the man.

"Sir, please save your strength! We're going to pull you through this."

The woman was deadly still as she looked at her husband. She stared at his face, the blood dribbling down his chin from his mouth, the bruises and dirt about his handsome features, but when his eyes fluttered open, it was the brightness of them that everyone stood silent for. The last flicker of life. She de-tangled herself from Van and walked over to him.

"Honey, we're going to pull through. Please get through this." The men continued to move the debris but the couples' eyes were locked together and there was nothing that they heard or saw, but each other.

Allen had been called forward by one of the messengers of the castle about a bomb or something. He looked around and noticed a small crowed gathered at one of the buildings that was in shambles, fire blazing and people screaming. Some of the scaffolding stood up but he knew it was very unstable.

He rushed over there, noticing Merle tugging on a doctors sleeve to hurry to the site. He then caught a glimpse of Van and the men who were lifting the lumber.

When he was at the site, he knew what they were doing and noticed the man and the woman staring at each other. Her hand lifted and was placed on top of his head, gently smoothing to the side of his cheek.

He wanted to help them. The love radiating from them was overwhelming and he noticed the men were having difficulty moving the large, wooden piece that was over the man's lower body.

"Lift! Lift! Lift! I said LIFT, DAMMIT!" Allen joined the eleven men, the piece was slowly starting to lift.

"Leena, baby," The man coughed up blood and the tears were slowly falling down the blond woman's sooty face.

"Dontrius, honey. I-I"

"I...love..you" She shook her head.

"I know, please don't talk, shhhhh," She placed her finger over his lips and he kissed it softly. Her whimpers were winning over her composure and she began to hiccup the grief-stricken sobs. 'I love you,' she mouthed, unable to clearly speak. He closed his eyes but opened them again to start at his beautiful wife.

"Be..he...althy...for our..child...Give her m-my...love..." Her hand immediately flew to her mouth.

"C-child? But," He smiled for her before coughing again, this time was harsher as more blood flew from his mouth and dribbled down his face. Her hand wiped away the blood as she started crying.

"Please! GET THIS THING OFF OF HIM!!!" Her cry was heard as the night was growing strangely silent.

The men finally got some leverage but Dontrius, the man beneath the rubble, started coughing more violently as the weight was lifting off of his lower body.

"Someone get over there and pull him from beneath the wood!!!" Allen volunteered and rushed over to the injured man. He hooked his arms underneath the Dontrius's shoulders and tugged slightly. They needed to get it up higher.

"He's still stuck! Lift it higher!"

But that task was unable to be accomplished.

Another bomb went off a second later.

So much happened during that time, yet it was so little time to work with.

The ground shook violently as the men lifting the wood dropped it back down, unable to hold it up.

Leena looked at her lover as she noticed the force from the dropped block caused blood to erupt violently from her husband's mouth. Her vision was blurring harshly as the tears never stopped pouring over and down her cheeks. She grabbed onto him and his eyes were squinched shut.

Van yelled for everyone to get back to get away from the exploding buildings.

The building they were in was falling apart and was not going to stay up much longer.

Allen was on the ground for lost of balance and he opened his eyes to see something that was of true horror to him.

The second floor main beam was creaking, announcing that it was going to collapse any second...Where it was going to fall, was what the true fright in his heart dreaded. His eyes looked down to the couple. The woman crying so hard and the husbands rigid breathing. The fact hit home, and burned itself in his heart, broke it in half.

The beam would kill them both, but he could save her...

There was a loud and nasty snap and Allen picked himself up from the ground and took major leaps to get to the woman. His arms wrapped around her and her voice filled the air in a high, screeching protest. Her eyes never left his but Dontrius closed his eyes before it happened. Before the beam slammed into the ground, where he lied trapped.

~~*~~

"NOOOO!!!" The blood curdling scream sent a cold shiver down her spine. She saw it all and felt something running down her cheeks. Merle could not help it. The woman saw her husband die, knowing that this all could have been prevented. Wondering why it had to be her husband. Asking what has she done to deserve this punishment of her loved one dying before her in such a mortifying way.

"Everything..." She whispered to herself. Everything was disastrous! So many people hurt, dying and the bombings! Who would do such a thing? Why!? Why is it all happening again?

"I want you to send everyone inside the castle gates! They are not safe until we find the enemy, understand?"

'Van.' She exhaled, trying not to curl up into a ball and just weep. He was trying to be so strong, but there was no doubt that he was feeling the exhaustion and the way his skin was so pale. She noticed the coughing and just, everything!

Before she took off to help the people move to the castle, she glanced up into the darkened sky, see no stars, none of the moons as it was cloudy. The dreariness setting the mood perfectly, nothing to shine a little hope, which was something that the people needed to see amongst all the chaos.

~~*~~