Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ For A Life Together ❯ Into The Night ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~Thank you for the reviews! And thanks Millenia, I know many people don't like reviewing but I appreciate all that do take the time to put forward their comments and encouragements.~

Chapter 9 - Into The Night...

Merle looked at all the injured people in the courtyard and in all the medical facilities. They were all hurt badly, though very few were life threatening. She has been running back and forward with water and bandages and everything that anyone needed through out the day and as well, into the night. She barley had any time to rest but she brought the blankets and medicine and, she was forgetting her mind somewhere because of so many calls. Van was there too, assisting more to the best of his ability.

It grew dark too soon and the incident was still fresh in the minds of many people since it happened early this morning. She could tell that Van was growing very tired, giving orders and receiving information about injuries and guiding them else where for a doctor who could help.

She finished serving a man who had been burned and had many wounds on his arms and back. He rested in a make-shift bed and she left him to go to the weary, sixteen year old.

"Van..." He didn't look over to her as he finished wrapping a bandage around a little girl's hand.

"There you go. It's all better now. Your mother is waiting over there," He pointed and smiled. "You see her? She's waiting for you so go to her and tell her that you were a brave little girl and are feeling better. Be strong for her, that's what you have to do, okay?" The little girl wiped at her tear streaked face and hugged Van fiercely.

"Thank you! I will tell mommy! I will be strong like you! I will tell mommy what you did and I will be strong for her! Bye big brother!!" The little girl let go and ran to her mother, who was injured badly because she protected her child from the explosion and collapsing debris.

It was a huge mess. There were a several buildings full of families that were waiting for their houses to be finish building, so they crammed into the small spaces and a bomb had gone off behind them and caused immense damage. Rumors are going around about how it happened but Van knew there is a possible threat out there but he just didn't know who. Who would want to do such a horrible thing to so many families.

It was said that there was a man who was wondering around, some thought him suspicious but didn't go near him and say so or to leave. That isn't what these people believe in. They welcome any outsiders but they are still weary of their feelings and this man was said to give off some bad vibes to many. The man that they never seen before was walking the streets and after the accident, he was never found or seen. His mind boggled with an answer. He assured many of them that they were safe and that everything would be okay. He hated saying things like that but it was the only thing that he could think of to calm the poor families down. They needed rest, not more stress.

But this has surely left everyone stressed out as they all have been working non stop for hours, digging through the debris and fallen buildings to find the families and people who were still trapped beneath. There are still some who are missing but they only can continue to search and he promised his people that he would do all that was in his power...

Van had sent out for some doctors from neighboring towns and inside his country that would assist. Many came, but not enough for to cover all the seriously injured. They all had their hands full and he was going to help them all!

"Van?" He turned to see Merle and he sighed.

"How is everything going Merle? There isn't any reports on deaths..." She shook her head.

"No, no. Everything seems fine that you had sent out for those extra doctors. They are moving through the most seriously injured first and many that know of first aid and medicine are lending their help too. But there are still some missing that we might have to say that they are dead." He nodded. Van was hoping that they would have gone without deaths but it seems as though whoever wanted this, got their deaths and rising fear from the people. But for those that are okay and the gracious doctors, he would have to thank everyone for their help and on such short notice.

"I understand but for the most part, that is good to hear right now." She nodded and lowered her head.

"Lord Van, I think it is best that you retire for the night." Van looked down at her.

"There are still more people who need assistance. We have to make sure that no one is still left under or trapped in the debris and-"

"But you look very tired. I'm only telling you because someone is going to tell you eventually and I don't want you getting angry at them. Also, the only thing we can do right now is keep everyone comfortable until the doctors make their way to them." Van ruffled Merles pink hair and smiled.

"Well then, I will-" He stopped and realized that he's been working for many hours straight. Van turned away to cough, which did not sound like something tickling his throat. Merle looked at him worriedly.

"I think you should rest. You haven't stopped to rest or take a break since this morining! You will get sick if you continue like this...maybe we should have a doctor check up on you."

"Don't be ridiculous Merle. I don't need a doctor. I'm sure I'll be fine too. These people need more help than I do." She nodded her head still thinking of that possibility. Not only that but he was very weak and the exhaustion was clear on his face. She was sure that because Van treated his body so poorly that he could get sick easily, and by the look on his face, he looked more pale than ever.

"Merle what time is it?" She looked at him.

"It's eleven thirty-two."

Merle took that small time to herself as she looked at the 'beeper' that Hitomi left her. It was of great convenience to her for it kept the time and had an alarm. She smiled as she remember what Hitomi had taught her about the small gadget and how it worked.

Van could not believe it had gotten so late and he forgot about Hitomi.

"Please tell everyone that they are welcome to take shelter in the castle and the guards to be very cautious around them and the castle. There could be another possible attac-" His hand came to his face and coughed a little more with his eyes squinched shut. He excused himself for doing so and Merle was looking around for one of the few doctors that resided at the castle. "Sorry, and if anything happens, let me know immediately. I will go to my room." Merle nodded and was about to walk off with her orders and for a doctor, when Van reached his hand out to her, touching her shoulder lightly. "Merle." She turned around and looked at him.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry for yelling at you this morning. I love you very much. You're the only person who is like family to me and I do not want to ruin that." Merle shook her head.

"I understand Lord Van and I should be the one apologizing because I was saying those awful things about Hitomi. I love Hitomi but I just don't want you hurt anymore. I hurts me too."

"I know"

"But if you need to talk about anything, I'm always here and I thought a lot today and I understand my position and where my feelings are. I love you very much and want you happy." Van pulled the cat girl into a huge and kissed her on the forehead.

"Thank you for understanding. It means so much. Goodnight and go to bed soon. You don't need to be up all night. You need to rest too." With that he released her, paused, wavering slightly. Merle took the extra time to really look him over as he stood there holding his head for a moment. 'He doesn't look so good...'

There was sudden crying, wailing and shouting from a man and very upset woman.

"I NEED ASSISTANCE! I FOUND ANOTHER PERSON!"

~~*~~