Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Memories ❯ The Pied Piper ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Memories

part 11 : The Enticing Musician

"V-Van? I'm not feeling too good." (In fact, I might just make the seats look a lovely orange colour soon...)

"Van-?" Hitomi started.

"We are nearly there, just close you're eyes and try to sleep. It might help." (Where had this mist come from?) He had totally ignored her, acting as though he hadn't heard her. The thing Hitomi wanted to know, was whether or not he did it on purpose. Probably not, she wanted to think; but what if? Said her heart. Duo picked up on this, and asked Hitomi if she was alright, and making sure she didn't just say that to put on a show.

The carriage was rocking so badly as the road was full of pebbles and stones, it made everyone feel a little queasy, if not very sick. Messengers from Palas had come to escort everyone to Asturia for the wedding. It had been a long trip, and by the end of it, it was getting dark. Guards came to show the guests to their rooms, and everybody settled down. Shiden went to her room, but for some reason, she had double vision, could barely walk, and nearly bumped into Allen.

(Huh?) " Are you alright miss?"

"Yeah...yeah - I'm - fine - really I … am. Don't you trust…"

her words trailed off into thin air.

Allen stared at her, not knowing what to do as he didn't know what was wrong. He was about speak when she beat him to it.

"I feel...I feel sick. My… head …" she put a hand to her temple, and her eyebrows showed the strain she felt, but things were already getting worse.

"I'll take you to the balcony, just hang on." Too late. Before they even reached the edge of the balcony outside, Shiden lost her grip and nearly fell, but Allen caught her just in time. They got to the edge, and when it looked like she was going to be fine, what followed wasn't what Allen was expecting. As he held her, her head suddenly flopped, and he saw she had fainted; also, her temperature began to drop rapidly, and frost was beginning to form all over her skin. It sparkled in the moonlight, her milky white skin and blue lips making her look like a sleeping goddess.....something wasn't right, he thought, because she felt stone cold…just then, Eries came rushing towards him with her husband, and she offered to let Shiden stay the night in the Asturian castle.

Later, Allen found out that while he was talking to Hitomi, the same thing had also happened to Van, only a short while after Shiden had collapsed. They came to the conclusion that, it must have something to do with the mist that they went through just before the carriages entered Fanalian territory, and that it only affects Draconians, for everyone else seems okay. Walking with them, the unconscious Van was carried there by two guards to the resting room, and Shiden was carried by Allen. A curious question wouldn't leave his mind alone.

"Why do you think it's only affected them? I hope Shiden survives." He got a distant gaze in his blue eyes as they sat down at a table within the resting room. Allen was staring out into the night sky, watching the twinkling stars.

"I don't know, but I hope it hasn't done any damage to them; I was talking to Van, when he just 'collapsed' all of a sudden, and I didn't know what to do. Thank god Eries came when she did." Hitomi noticed, how much Allen had changed since her last visit to Gaea; he wasn't so loving to every single woman he met like he was before, but still made them feel welcome, but not in the hope of something more though. This time, his manners were only out of courtesy, and being polite to both men and women alike, because he was a gentleman and a Knight Caeli. He looked genuinely worried, about Shiden, and Hitomi wondered if this meeting would change everything, including Allen himself.

"If I lose someone again, I don't think I could carry on living; I know this may sound strange to you, but when you've been touched by love, life will never be the same again. Never. I should know… For some reason, I feel a strong connection with Shiden, and just being with her makes me feel alive, as if I were reborn. I can't explain it, but I'm sure of this; if I must fight for her, then I will, against anything - and that includes Van. If she loves me like I love her, then I will do everything in my power to keep us together. I won't make the same mistake again." Now there was a new energy in his eyes, fuelled by a new fire that burned brighter and more fiercely than before.

Looking at her square in the eye, he said.

"If I must, then I will defend her with my life. Mark my words."

But why Van? And why is everyone DRAWN TO HER!? Hitomi thought. But she was careful not to show her true opinion about Shiden, because she'd have a lot to answer for if she ever did.

"You really have changed, Allen. But does she feel the same way about you? I just don't want you to get hurt that's all." it was just a curious question, and Hitomi expected him to lash out at her for it, for even daring to ask such a question, and was surprised at how he reacted.

" I…. don't really know. Hopefully, she does, but if not, then…. there's nothing I can do about it…" taking a deep breath, he went to the window for some fresh air. The wind blew playfully at the curtains, making them dance like phantoms in the moonlight. Hitomi took the break to reflect on what she just said, and thought, maybe she shouldn't have said anything about that, even it was always on her mind. Well, she couldn't help but wonder, because of the way Allen is always looking at Shiden, she thought that he must fancy her. Or maybe she thought that, because it has been a long while since she saw everyone again. Things have definitely changed.

After what seemed like an hour going by, Allen came back into the room, and went to sit on a chair next to Shiden's bed. He looked at her with such longing; it totally eliminated the slightest possibility that, he was the same old womaniser that he used to be. Allen swept a strand of violet hair off her face with such gentleness, Hitomi was unsure if he even did move her hair. The silence had a mysteriously calming effect, and she watched as he relaxed watching Shiden sleeping peacefully. Holding her hand in his, he cupped them around it, placing it up to his cheek, afraid he might lose her.

Hitomi herself got jolted to look across to the other side of the room, and saw Van sleeping well in his bed next to Shiden's. She too went and sat down beside the one she loved, even if he was giving her grief, as she still had some feelings for him. She whispered softly to him; "I still love you."

Then she heard a soft slump sound, and it was Allen falling asleep on Shiden's bed whilst still sat in his chair; he was half lying on the edge of her bed and was still half sat in his chair. Then she got up, and went to sleep in her own room opposite in the hall. One last glance back at Van; safe and sound, just like a baby. The door closed with a quiet click, and Van stirred, but fell into a deep sleep again.

<>*<>*<>*<>

She didn't want to wake up, as she was so comfortable, but something was nagging at her to open her eyes, and her instinct told her it wasn't a good thing, so she did, reluctantly. When Shiden came to, it was already morning. She felt abit stiff, but managed to glance to her right, and was shocked to find Van was also lying in a bed next to her. He hadn't woken up yet, but where were the other's? Why was she here? The room seemed clean, but looked more like the infirmary for important people. A shadow suddenly loomed over her, but she couldn't see who it was in the bright sunlight. She sat bolt upright, ready to run if it came to that.

"It's me, Allen." He said in a soft, and husky voice. Shiden relaxed after she managed to focus on him, and was relieved to see someone she knew.

"Where am I? Why am I here and what's up with Van?"

"I guess you mean what is wrong with him?"

"Er…yeah, sorry." Great, now no one will understand anything I say.

"It's alright." He smiled, putting her at ease. So he told her; telling her what had happened the night before when they reached the balcony; how she just suddenly passed out, and why Van was in the bed next to her; he too had passed out just moments after she did, but no one knows why. While they were sleeping, Merle, Duo and Hitomi had done the job of finding the best healer they could, but to no avail. No one knew what was happening to them, and all they said was to get plenty of rest.

"…Ah!." Her stomach hurt, but then the pain went away again. Allen was concerned. "I'm okay, really."

But he wouldn't be bought so easily. "Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"That's good then."

"Do you know where my flute is? It's purple with a green butterfly tassel."

"Do you mean this one?" He sounded happy at the prospect of finally being able to help, and gave her the flute. She took it thankfully, and began to play a tune; it began on a slow, deep note, but gradually grew louder and slightly sharper. Just hearing it made him feel very calm and at ease, not at all in a panic like before when the two had fallen mysteriously ill. It was so beautiful, that even birds flew in through the window, and perched themselves either nearby or around her. The musician carried on, and it was quite a sight to awaken to; birds and animals alike had found a way in, and were listening very intently to the music. Even Hitomi was a little startled, when she returned with Merle and Duo from finding another healer. When she finished playing, there was a moment of silence. All at once, every animal in the room scattered for the window or the door before they were caught; leaving behind an astonished audience.