Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Meru Puri, Fanelian Prince ❯ Time to Go ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The tears in her eyes had fallen just as quickly and silently as then had come. She was failing you youngest son like she had her eldest. How was she to remain the queen with all its responsibility when she herself could not even manage to be responsible for one child. She was lost and was not quite sure that she wanted to be found. Her responsibilities her power her knowledge what did it all matter. She had lost the one thing in her life that had kept her living, that had given her two beautiful children, that had taken her from a world that had not wanted her. Yet all she could do for him in the end was hold him and gentle try to ease the pain that had so violently shaken his body before.

Pulling out the weapon that had been placed into his strong shoulder, she cried out when he did not even make a sound. He was dead, gone from this world gone from her life out of her reach never to touch her again, never to kiss her again, never to be with her again. As she thought this finally her surroundings began to effect her. The firers were large and the heat made her shiver in fear. Would this be the end, would she die here with her love?

She looked at the dagger in her had his blood running down the hilt she felt it run down her arm. It was cool and very strange to have the liquid on her. She looked at him one more time. She would go and she would follow him to the world beyond.

“Van, my beloved son please forgive me and understand why I do this… perhaps when you to have had a chance at the love like I have shared with your father you will understand my insanity at the loss of him.” her tears stopped.

She would go out with honor and dignity. Drying her face from her shameful tears she pressed the red blade to her bosom.

“good bye my darling…”

No more was said no more occurred in the accursed room and she lied next to her love and closed her eyes as the flames excepted them and blanketed the two never to let them go never to release them again.

  ----------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------

It had been seven years since the death of their beloved king and queen, three years since Falcon had become king and two years since the youngest Fanel had turned eight. It was a happy and joyous time in the once sad and troubled land yet under the rule of their young king Falcon they had many peaceful days.

The young prince Van, was laid back and quite relaxed. Unknowing to him what the future might hold or thrust onto the poor young boy. However for now all was quiet except for the occasional purrs of a friendly girl with large abnormal cat ears and a cute curled tail. The children had once again stormed up to the roof and was now bathing in the wonderful heat of the noon sun. No one would think to find them here, it was secluded and only the two of them knew of the hidden latch that held the secret stairs up to this safe haven.

The clouds rolled by lazily as the boy stared up at them deciphering any shape that came to mind with their odd deformities. Yet as he stared he couldn’t help but wonder what it was that was making him feel quite so restless. Merle moved to better position her head on his small chest but continued her peaceful sleep. ‘Silly girl’ he thought, sleeping there so soundly not a care or worry in the world except for staying by her masters side.

Her people were a strange race, once found something or someone of interest they were bound to remain forever loyal to the treasured person. He wondered what life would be like without her, she was forever helping him on his many quests and adventures. However sometimes it would be safer for her not to tag along since she always ended up getting hurt or some other mess and he would sob and blubber out apologies while she tried to comfort him in every way possible when wounded. This above all else seemed to infuriate him, she should be mad and should not be apologizing to him!

He sighed again still uncertain how he had ended with such a wonderful friend like her. His angel mother must have found favor with god in order to send this little one to him. She was like another sibling only far less busy unlike his older brother Falcon who seemed to only have time for the business affairs of the kingdom.

No longer would he even tuck his brother in bed at night so he could at least see him once a day. Now it was always the maid and later Merle would find her way into the room and would curl up next to him and snore away happily. She was absolutely the best sister that he could ever have hoped to get from his mother and even better was she was a cat. He loved cats even though many times the maids had told him no strays in the house, to which he would hotly ask why they were allowed when his cutter and much more cuddle friends weren’t. That got him quite a scolding from his brother and a week stuck in his room, but he had had Merle so it wasn‘t such a bad punishment.

As he watched the cloud float gentle by he heard the wind whisper to him of something amiss. He sat up abruptly and forgot that Merle’s head had been resting there moments before.

“Ow.. Van Sama why did you…” she was immediately silenced by his hand.

He could feel it, in the pit of his stomach he could feel the ache of something terrible wrong.

“Merle,” he breathed into her ear and caused it to twitch, “you do feel it, can’t you?”

“Feel what Van Sama, all I can feel is you crushing my tail.” she said trying hard not to shout in pain.

“Oh, sorry.” he said immediately and removed his foot from its resting place. He stood and looked out as far as he could see.

Yes there was defiantly something a miss.

“We have to go.” he said and quickly stood and yanked Merle down the steps after him.

“What’s wrong?” she tried to ask but no answer came.

What was this feeling curling his gut and causing him to ache so terrible. His head soon began to hurt as well. Something was defiantly wrong. Very, very wrong. He rushed them back to his room and grabbed hold over the sword that he had taken from the armory on his last adventure trip. After all a knight couldn’t defeat the evil cat, dragon with out one. True he had almost cut Merle’s tail off but he was defiantly glad that he had kept the weapon now.

Strapping his belt on overt his baggy tan pants he grabbed his blood red shirt and quickly placed it on over the light white one he had been wearing.

“What’s going on, Van Sama, Van Sama…” Merle whined frightened by his haste in getting clothing and weapon on.

“I can’t explain right now I have to get you out of here. Something bad is coming, something just like the bad thing that killed father and mother.” he said putting on the brave face that Falcon had taught him to do ever he was frightened and it did appear to be the right time because he was terrified beyond anything else.

Merle loyal followed him out and clung onto the long red shirt that he had placed on and easily kept pace with his short legs.

“Where are we going?” she asked fear coating her naturally loud voice.

“My brother, he surely must have sensed the danger too.”

Yet as they entered the court room Van was discouraged by the emptiness that greeted them. Where else could he search for his brother? Yet as he was about to turn and leave for the study he was met face to face with the person he was searching for.

“Falcon, I…”

“Van you must come quickly, I must get you out of here.” he said and grabbed the boy dislodging him from Merle’s tight grasp and caring him off.

“Van Sama.” she said and immediately grabbed onto Falcon for he was the only part that her short arms could reach of Van.

“Merle.” he said worriedly.

He was used to her always holding onto him and now that she wasn’t clinging tightly to his shirt it puffed where her sweaty small hands had been holding only moments before.

“I’m here.” she said assuring him and trying to run to keep pace with Falcons’ longer and much swifter legs.

“Brother what is happening?” he asked frighten and clung to the nape of his brothers long black cloak.

“So you feel the dangers too, its just as well that I take you away from this place, its not safe. The hidden enemy has finally decided to show themselves.” he said bitterly and soon opened the door to the study.

Large piles of paper work and territory treaties piled and clustered the heavy atmosphere of the small room. For some reason Falcon never managed to keep the room clean for longer than a day. His brother placed him down in the center of a clearing and Merle immediately attached herself to him happy at the reunion. Falcon then began to search through the many mountains and piles of paper and easily found a small rolled one.

“Alright, I want you to take this and where you go you must stay until I or Balgus come for you, do you understand.” he said handing him a rolled piece of parchment and then placed a small pendant around Van’s neck.

Van nodded to show that he understood and Falcon gave him an affectionate kiss on the forehead.

“Be safe little brother.” he said and right when he was about to teleport him a large shaking of the whole castle dislodged Merle and him for the second time today.

“Merle.” he called out and held his hand out to his sister but as she tried to get away from the cluster of paperwork that had wrapped themselves around her struggling feet.

Her feet tripping her and slowed her in getting towards her lord.

“Van.” she cried and tried to make one more dash towards him when another even more violent quake crashed and shattered many of the glass windows and knocked random items to the floor.

One large vase crashed against his sisters head and easily knocked her unconscious.

“Merle.” he cried.

However before he could launch himself at her Falcon had regained his composure and easily began to teleport his brother to his own safe haven. Van’s eyes were wide with horror as everything around him began to fad and everything around him began to erase and change shape as a blue light surrounded him.

“Falcon wait, Merle get up.” he shouted as his body disappeared from his brothers sights.

“I am sorry, but your safety must come first.” he said as he lifted the small body of Merle, easily veiling her from the firer that had taken the castle and the city within moments.