Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Silent Secrets ❯ Can you talk? ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Silent Secrets

Disclamer: I do not own Escaflowne, only the charaters, that I made up myself!

So here is chapter number 4 for ya all!!!!

Read and enjoy!!

Chapter4: "Can you talk?"

>Damn! She's not here!<

That was the only thought running through Van's head at that moment.

He had just come to the clearing five minutes ago, but couldn't see a trace of the mysterious girl with the green eyes.

He sat down at the pond with a sight and waited. And waited. And waited. And waited.

(~did I mention that he waited *g*~)

After one and a half hour of waiting he couldn't stand it anymore, so Van decided to try, if he could find any traces of her from yesterday.

He got up and headed in the direction where he thougt, she had run of to.

After some searching, Van found some small, nearly for the eye invisible to see, footsteps and some broken twigs on the ground and on the bushes.

He followed them for quite a while, but came then to a very hard and rocky underground and lost the trial. Cursing under his breath, hr searched for some more, but finally gave up and made his way back. His thoughts never stopped coming:

>She'll probably wont come, Van Fanel! I should get her out of my head! And finding her in this forest all by myself is impossible!! Maybe I should just ride to the castle and think of a way to scare Princess Esmeralda out of the castle and away from me. Maybe I could behave a bit "better" (*g*).

Why is fate always doing those mean thing to me????<

As Van got closer to the clearing, he couldn't hide the feeling, that someone was already there. His steps got slower and he breathed in deeper.

When Van finally got there, he stopped right in his tracks.

He blinked. Still there. He blinked again. Nothing to do, he still saw the same thing as before, even as he rubbed his eyes, but could not belive it. Arrow was standing there at the pond, right were Van had left him. Beside the horse stood a cloaked figure, stroking his neck and he seemed to enjoy it.

Normally, Van wouldn't have wondered, if it had been Merle or one of the stable-boys.

But if some stranger only got in the reach of Arrow, he'd go crazy! He'd try to bite and kick as much as he could, but just now, Arrow stood there and enjoyed being stroked by a stranger!

Van watched a little longer.

Then suddelny came a gust of wind and blew the cab from the strangers head. Sandyblond hair swirrled around and those green eyes of hers (~Who else could it be than her? *g*~) seemed to be filled with a strange light.

Then she noticed him...

Just like the first time, their eyes loked and Van could feel his heartbeat fastening. Both of them didn't move, they only stared.

This time, Van was the first to get himself to move. He made a step towards her and she, of course, took a step back.

He saw, that the girl wanted to turn around and run away, but somehow, she seemed to trip over a tree-root and fell onto the ground with a small thud. The girl tried to get up, but her one foot didn't support her weight. So she just stumbled a bit and fell down again.

With a few, but not to hasty as not to frighten her, strides, Van was at her side and kneeled down.

She didn't look at him and he noticed, that her breath seemed ragged.

As the girl tried to get up a second time, Van laid tentativly a hand on her shoulder and felt her tense up imediatly.

At last, Van found his voice again:

"Don't worry, I won't harm you. You shouldn't stand up right now. If it is okay with you, I'll take a look at your foot." Van prayed, that the girl would listen to him or at least belive him, that he would not do anything to her.

A few seconds past, but to Van it seemed like ages.

She finally relaxed a bit and slowly turned around into a sitting position. The girl looked at him suspiciously and he felt, as if she was searching his soul and his head to find out, if she could realy trust him.

He broke the gaze and turned his attention to her foot.

When Van touched the ankle lightly, she tensed up again.

He also saw a big scrach on her leg, right above the ankle, that seemed to have bled recently, for her pants were covered in fresh blood around it.

As Van looked closer, he noticed some seeds of the pearlas porison, a very poisinous plant, in it.

If Van remembered correct, it caused high fever and can end pretty bad, if not looked over by a healer. He felt her forhead, even with the girls protest.

She was burning hot.

"You have been poisioned and your ankle seemes hurt, pretty badly. You should have it looked over by a healer", said Van worried and looked at her.

The girls eyes seemed dazed from the fever, and her breathng was ragged and sholow. She just looked at him with a questioning, curious and tense look and tried to get up again, but didn't make it.

Suddenly, Van remembered his dream and the question just blurred out:

"Can you talk?"

First the girl seemed shoked, but then her eyes went sad and she shock her head, not looking at him.

Van felt a sting in his heart. He pushed the pain in his heart aside and spoke again:

"I better take you back with me and take you to a healer, so he can have a look at you ankle and do something against your fever."

Without waiting for her to react, Van picked her up and put her on his horse.

To starteled to do something, she let it happen.

But as soon as Van had mounted, she tried to struggle against him.

She was so weakened from the pain inher ankle and the fever, that she soon stopped and gave in, leaning tensed nto Van's chest.

After some time, her breathing became steadier and Van saw, that the girl had fallen asleap.

She sighted and shifted in her sleap, so that now her head lay in the crook of his neck, her breath tickling his skin.

It send shivers down Van back and he slaped himself mentaly to not lose the control or the direction.

Still he couldn't realy think straight with the girl leaning onto him.

He slowly made his way back to the castle.

When the castle finally came into few, the girl shifted again and seemed to wake up.

"Are you okay? We're nearly there, see", Van said soothing to her as he felt her stiffen again as soon as she noticed, where she was and who was with her.

He felt her forhead again. To Vans relief, the fever didn't seem to have goten worse.

Van felt the girl suprise more than he saw it on her face, when she spoted the castle and when she assumed, they were riding straight towards it.

As the two finally arrived at the castle, Van was stuned to see not only Merle, but Millerna, Dryden, Aron, Allen and Chid waiting for him.

Dryden was the first to speak:

"It's been a long time, Van. Good to see you. And what gorgious creature have you brought back with you from the Forest? Merle told us, why you were away."

"Hi guys. Good to see you , too. But I thought, you would arrive tomorrow. And you're also here, Chid?", Van asked back and Chid answered:

"Yes, my father allowed me to go together with the others and Dilandau send a message, telling, that he'd also come in about a week and a half."

" But you should really intrduce us to the young Lady with you and tell us who exactly she is", interupted Allen with curiousity.

Van felt the girl tense up even more, if possible. He quickly answered:

"Maybe later. Millerna, could you have a look at her ankle? She also seemes to have been poisoned with some seeds of the pearlas porison and has high fever."

Millerna has studied at a medical school.

"Shure, I'll have a look at it. Bring her to a room and get a bowle of cold water with a cloth, bandages and some gehras potion agains the poision."

Van took the tense girl from the stallion and left Arrow in the care of Merle. He carried her to a spare guestroom near his chambers while the others taged along. On his way the girl tried twice to break free and some of his advisers crosed his way and send very curious looks at them all.

Finally in the room, Van lay the girl on the bed and took carefully her boots of, while a servant had already arrived with the thing, Millerna had requested.

"So the rest of you get out of this room, while I take care of this patient. Sho!!", and with that, Millerna shoed the other out into the hall, while getting ready to attend the wounds of the girl who was still a bit perplex and didn't quite know, what to think of it all.

As they waited outside, the others talked about diffrent things and told each other, what had happend lately, while Merle had joned them.

"So the advisers are trying to bring you together with Princess Esmeralda, you have told us about? She sound horrible!", Celena said after Van and Merle had explaint there recent "trouble".

"I don't know, if I'd like to meet her. She realy sounds like the devil in human form. You agree Dryden, don't you?"

"Yeah Allen, I do. But I'm much more interested in that girl our little Van here has picked up in the forest. What's her name and were those she come from?"

"I don't know", was the simple answere from Van.

They all looked at him in wonder. Merle was the first to speak:

"Why not?? It can't be that hard to ask for someones name or heritage..."

"Yeah tell us, Van. Or do you want to keep this secrst for yourself??"

Befor Van could answer, Millerna came out of the room:

"So... I gave her the potion against the poision and the fever and bandaged her ankle. It doesn't seem broken only sprain. But she wouldn't talk to me a single word, not did she make a sound. What's her Name."

"Don't even ask him, hunny. He doesn't seem to know himself."

"Why that Dryden? Shurley they have talked."

Van interupted her:

That's what I just wanted to tell the others. I haven't really talked to her, because.... er.... how do you say it.... em..... well.... she can't talk."