Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Wings of Destiny ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]






Wings of Destiny


Prologue



_______________________________________________________
< p>
In a time before the birth of Christ, a war was raged between the gods and the Angels for domination of the Earth. It was a bitter battle that lasted for three decades. This war was raged all over the world. The people fought against each other. There were none that stood in between the battle. For some were with the gods, and if you were not with the gods, you were allied with the Angels. The most heated battle of this war took place within the continent of Atlantis, in the metropolis of Arcadia, and was thereafter named the Battle of Arcadia.


One goddess in particular stood out from both the Angels and her fellow gods and goddesses. She stood out for she was the most powerful during a time of war. The Goddess of Vengeance, whose name was Vira, took pleasure in watching the slow desolation of mankind, and with its fall, she grew stronger. She was the mistress of the desire of domination, revenge, power, and vengeance. She sought for power and was not willing to share it with any.


Allied with the gods were the Atlantians, who sought a desire to rise above all. They were entrusted with the power of the gods, and they created a power, an energy, that surpassed anything mankind has ever seen in history. It would allow anyone to do as they wished, and they received infinite power. This energy that they created could only be controlled when separated into seven parts, and thus was called the Seven Lights. When the Lights were created, they took the soul of a human with them, and those humans' greatest emotions and strengths were reflected within the Lights.


The gods fought against the Angels with the Lights. However, not even they, or the Atlantians, knew what force was held within these Seven Lights. Vira was curious of these Seven. She knew of their power and wanted it for herself. She was driven by this desire, and she took possession of the Lights and joined them into One. However, she could not contain the Light, and she was consumed by it. It is then that the First arose.


The First was neither human, god, nor Angel. It was a form that existed long before the birth of the universe, long before the written word, and thus was given the name of the First. It was neither evil nor good. It hated nothing, and loved nothing in return. It was there to keep the balance, and when the scale was tipped to the other side and when it was recognized as a time for rebirth, it would do what He cannot do. It justifies the actions of Man, and was the bringer of Armageddon.


When the First arose, Death itself was unleashed from the Shadows, Hell itself. People suffered, felt cruelty and pain, and death roamed free amongst the land. It was a losing battle to both sides. The Angels fought and died. The gods and goddesses fought and died. The people fought and died. No one was safe from the First, not even the immortals, for the First's only mission was Armageddon, and when humanity fell into the darkness, it would be waiting to destroy everything. And it could not be stopped.


The Atlantians, with a desire to overthrow the gods, began to create a machine that would grant them their wishes and desires. But long before this machine was completely, Man had almost died out. Very few civilizations existed anymore. There seemed to be no hope and that Armageddon would soon be inevitable. And it was then, when all people wished to live in the same form of desire, did He step in. No longer wishing for power, but simply to live, did God grant them their wish.


He created a being and sent it to Earth in the form of a human. It was explained then that this human was the Key to humanity's survival. The Key would be able to separate the Seven and also join the Lights into One. And it was the Key alone who could control the immense power of the Lights. However, the Key was still a newborn infant when it first arrived on the Earth. Four Archangels watched over this child since its birth and protected the baby and they were proclaimed the Four Guardians. But destiny was not so kind to the child born as the Key. The First hunted for the child who could destroy It.


These four Angels fought to protect the child till the time was right and it could awaken the powers of the Seven Lights. They did all they could. When the First found the child, it was already seven years of age, and already understood its purpose. The Angels fought to protect the child, and died in the process. It is then the Key awoke the powers of the Seven Lights and joined them into One. Vira was separated from the First, unaware she was possessed, and was banished to the Shadows. It was after the joining of the Seven did the First finally fall.


No human document foretold of how the Battle of Arcadia ended, though the War of the World was not yet over. The child that was the Key was never seen again. No one knew what would happen from there. However, people began to go back to their lives and rebuild from the ashes. Countries and kingdoms all over the world began to rebuild, and the wars began to halt. The Atlantians, however, had a vision of their own. At this time when the world was weak and helpless, they put into effect the machine in which they had created, the Destiny Machine.


But the machine, instead of granting their wishes, distorted them. The magnificent and prosperous continent that was Atlantis fell when the machine collapsed and destroyed the continent. However, the Atlantians' wishes were somewhat fulfilled. During Atlantis' destruction, many across the Earth say they saw a beam of light travel towards the night sky and disappeared. It was from this beam of light, the gathering of the wishes of the people of Atlantis, that Gaea, a world based on the ancient times, was born.


After the birth of Gaea, when the War of the World ended, did peace finally reign upon the Earth and her people. But it was not yet over. After the War ended, the legendary Oracle of Delphi, whose visions were received from the god Apollo, made a prophecy. A prophecy in which she received from God Himself. On a clear dark night, in the middle of the eve, a child ran to the Keeper of the Oracle. He took him to the Oracle. There, on her podium, the Oracle floated within the air, a faint glow surrounding her body. It was then, with only this boy and the Keeper, was the Last Prophecy spoken. Two fates were given to mankind, and with her last breaths, the Oracle warned Man.


On the day of the Red Eclipse, the First shall rise and darkness will seize the land.
A child shall open the Gate and unleashed the Vengeance.
The Key shall reveal the Lights and merge the Seven into One.
The Final Battle between Darkness and Light will begin.
And the fate of the Life shall be determined.

The Key shall be awakened upon the battlefield.
And the essence of Death shall once again be confined.
The First will fall to the power of the Light.
And the Key shall bring the dawning of a new time.

One shall be sacrificed.
One shall conquer all in battle.
One shall bring the Seven back into One
And destiny will be determined.
When the Key rises, when the Seven join, Life will be saved.

¤

On the day of the Red Eclipse, the First shall rise and darkness will seize the land.
A child shall open the Gate and unleashed the Vengeance.
The Key shall reveal the Lights and merge the Seven into One.
The Final Battle between Darkness and Light will begin.
And the fate of the Life shall be determined.

The blood of the Key shall bleed onto the battlefield.
And Death shall roam at last free of its confinement.
The First shall watch the rise of Armageddon.
And the land shall be covered with blood.

One shall be sacrificed.
One shall conquer all in battle.
One shall bring the Seven back into One
And destiny will be determined.
When the Key dies, when the Seven are consumed, Life will end.


These two parts of the prophecy foretold of the two roads in which mankind may embark upon. One path would lead to the survival of Life itself, and the other road would be its destruction. No one knew when the prophecy would come to pass. No one, not the most powerful diviners, the most powerful seers, nor the most powerful gods and Angels could predict when the Last Prophecy would come true. However, the path to the Final Battle, foretold within the prophecy as the determination of Life, had been foretold by many.


However, humans forgot this tale of the close destruction of Life and evolved into what it is present day. They moved on to created a new world free of the visions and predicaments of the Old Times. People lived, breathed, gave birth, fell in love, and died. Life was all it could be, and it was what one wanted it to be, though it was not prefect. The good balanced the bad, and nothing was out of place. But the scale would be tipped once again, and the First shall return. The question was, will mankind be able to stand against It this time round, or shall we fall to Its power?


There is only one living human who remembers the words the Oracle spoke of before her death. With her dying breath, she warned mankind with these words...


"There will be a time were prophecies are not needed. People would not have to wish or dream. There would be no desire for power. There would be no one in hunger. And there will no longer be a fear of death. There will be a time when prayers are not needed. That could be our utopia...Our it could be the existence of nothing..."



_______________________________________________________
< p>
Author's Note: Well? What do you think of the prologue? It isn't one of my best, however, you should understand that it was very difficult for me to explain all of the Battle of Arcadia in one little part. If you are still confused by all the events in the prologue, don't worry, it will be explained more thoroughly in later chapters. Please, do remember the prophecy because it is very important. And do, review.

To the old readers of this fic, thank you so much for putting up with me. After re-watching the Escaflowne series, I received some new ideas. I really appreciate all your kind reviews and hope you enjoy the new version of the story. I promise it's a lot better than the old version. Not only did my style change, but also how I write. Most of the characters for the old version of "Wings of Destiny" have changed, with the exception of Aria Keel. Thank you so much for your reviews! You guys rock!

I would like to dedicate this fic to some people: Jo-chan, who is forever supportive of me. Amy-san, who's determination and dedication I look up to. Also I would like to dedicate this fic to Alia-san, whose kind words keeps me going. I must not forget my editor Tsubasa-senpai, who's been there for a while, and also my beta-reader K-san. Without K-san's inspiration, this fic would not have happened. Lastly, I would also like to dedicate this fic to all the people who've read my fics over the years, and also all the readers of "Wings of Destiny". You guys make me want to write!

Arigatou gozimasu minna-san!

Jia Z.






© 2003 by Jia Z.