Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ You'll Always Live On ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

You'll Always Live On

Chapter 4

Author's Note: I do not own any of the original Escaflowne cast and I never will. Thanks for taking the time to read this chapter and enjoy ^_^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

After Folken's encounter with Malcolm, he couldn't help thinking over what he had said. Could it be true? Did Van really choose to send him here, just so he would reunite with his old love? The idea was so ridiculous it just could be true. Folken snickered to himself `Awe Van you are a true romantic at heart aren't ya?'
His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a knock at the door. "Enter!" he replied. Marcus stepped in the room.
"Huh! I'm guessing your conversation with Tatanya didn't exactly go well, did it?" He questioned.
"You could say that, yeah!" Folken replied.
"What happened?"
"I really don't want to talk about it!" Folken whispered.
"Well, did you explain to her everything that happened?"
"She never gave me the chance." Folken sighed. "Why did you lie to me, Marcus?"
"What do you mean?"
"You said she was looking forward to seeing me. That was a lie. She did everything except spit in my face," Folken answered.
"I'm sorry, Folken! I just didn't want to scare you off," Marcus replied feeling a bit ashamed. "But I really think you should go tell her everything!"
"Oh yeah! Why? So she will be more disgusted with me then she already is?" Folken questioned coldly.
"She's not disgusted with you; she's just hurt. She really loved you and still does. She just doesn't understand why you left, and she never will unless you tell her." Marcus answered. Folken turned his gaze to the window.
"She won't understand."
"Yes she will," Marcus replied.
"She'll hate me if I tell her!"
"No, she won't!"
Folken banged his fist down on the windowsill with aggravation. "How do you know?"
"Because I know her better then anyone, and you know that!" Marcus snapped back. Folken looked down at the floor.
"I can't!" He whimpered.
"Fine, then don't!" Marcus shouted. "Stay here and hide in your little room like a coward. See if I care, but the only one who will suffer is you, because you will never know just what could have been, if you had only had the guts to tell her what had happened!" With that said, Marcus stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Folken couldn't believe what had just happened. That was the first time that he could remember Marcus ever yelling at him. Folken once again turned to look out the window. `Fine then, maybe I will just stay here in my room. What does he know?' Folken thought to him angrily.
Suddenly, a sight caught Folken's eye. Tatanya. She was sitting on the side of the fountain with her head buried in her hands, and Folken didn't need his supernatural powers to see that she was crying. For the longest time Folken just stood there, staring out the window at his once best friend and the only women who had ever managed steal his heart so completely. `Could I really risk losing her again?' Folken thought to himself. A pain suddenly struck Folken's heart at the thought of his precious Tatanya never again being in his life. "What am I thinking? Of course I couldn't," He gasped, the answer striking him like a bolt of lightning. "Marcus is right. I have to tell her everything that has happened and I have to do it now. I can't lose her again". Folken quickly grabbed the box on his table and dashed out of the room and down the stairs.
Once reaching the garden, Folken slowed his pace, walking up to the young lady currently crying into her hands, totally unaware that anyone was around. Folken cleared his throat. Tatanya's head shot up, and she gasped. "Tatanya…" he started, but was cut off.
"W-what are you doing here?" She stuttered.
"We need to talk" Folken answered.
"No! No we don't," Tatanya replied coldly, getting up and turning to leave.
"No, wait, let me explain!" Folken reached out and grabbed her arm before she could leave.
"There's nothing to explain, Folken," she shot at him, pulling her arm away.
"Yes! Yes there is!" Folken shot back, grabbing her arm once again. "You got to say what you wanted to say, now it's my turn," he growled.
"Folken, don't make me call the guards," Tatanya replied. Folken sighed.
"Please, Tatanya, I'm begging you, just let me speak?"
"Fine!" Tatanya sat back down on the side of the fountain. Folken just stared at her. "You wanted to talk, talk!" Tatanya snapped at him.
"Okay." Folken sighed, sitting down next her, placing the box on his lap. "Look, Tatanya, first of all, I just want to say I'm sorry! I'm sorry for all I put you through, I really am! But I want you to know I never forgot you, even when I was in Zaibach". With that said Folken reached into the box and retrieved the long tresses of hair. "And this is proof" he replied. Tatanya's hand flew to her mouth with a gasp as her eyes begin to fill with tears.
"F-Folken that's… that's my hair! You kept it?" She replied between sobs.
"Of course I did, Tatanya!" Folken answered.
"You kept it after all these years? Why?" she sobbed.
"Because I love you, Tatanya!" Folken sobbed, tears now forming in his own eyes. "I never stopped," he cried.
"Oh Folken!" she whimpered.
"You gave me this on the day I went to slay the dragon for good luck. I had never been so touched. I knew how much you cherished your long hair. You used to say you would never cut it for anyone, but you did, you cut it for me. That made it even more precious to me then gold". Folken sobbed.
"Folken!" Tatanya gasped. "And when I was in Zaibach, whenever I felt homesick, it was these three items that gave me comfort: your hair, and Van and mother's feathers". Folken continued to sob tears streaming down his face.
"Oh, Folken, you really do love me, but why didn't you just come back?" Tatanya replied.
"Oh, Tatanya, I wanted to. You have no idea how much I wanted to see you and Van, especially after I heard about mother. But I-I…" He paused.
"You what? Tell me?" Tatanya urged.
"I-I was ashamed," Folken sobbed.
"Of what?" Tatanya asked.
"Of everything. The fact I had failed to slay the dragon, the fact that I had let everyone down, especially Van, mother, Balgus and you. I just couldn't face you all and let you see what I had become!" Folken answered. Tatanya shook her head.
"And just what did you think you had become?"
"A failure and a monster," Folken whispered between sobs.
"A monster? How do you figure that?" She questioned, confused by that statement. With that Folken lifted up his claw hand for the first time to let Tatanya get a look. Tatanya gasped and tears began to flow down her cheeks once again. "Oh Folken," she sobbed. Folken's heart sank.
"See, I knew it would frighten you, the same way it frightens everyone."
"No, Folken, I'm not crying because I'm scared. I'm not scared at all. I'm crying because I can't even imagine how you must have felt when you saw that thing for the first time, and how you must have felt after." Tatanya suddenly flung her arms around Folken and embraced him with all her strength. "Folken, my poor, poor Folken," she sobbed. Folken was totally stunned. He had not expected this at all, but after a moment he too returned the embrace, feeling so loved and happy in her arms. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, they pulled away from each other. Folken was the first to speak.
"So, do you think you can still love me, even though I look like this?" He asked. Tatanya simply reached down and picked up his claw hand. She stroked it in her hand before bringing it up to her lips and placing a small kiss on the palm.
"Of course! Something as silly as an arm could not keep me from loving you. Because it doesn't change who you are, Folken, and you are a wonderful man, and the man I love," she replied with a smile. Folken felt his heart melt into a puddle as he embraced Tatanya once again.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

~Charlotte~ ^_^