Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Calico ❯ Chapter Six: Jealousy and Hope ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Calico

By: Banshee Puppet

Part Six: Jealousy and Hope

**********

"Agh! Aya-kun and Ran-chan are working together today!" one of the fangirls wailed. "It's going to rain! I just know it! This is terrible!"

"It's true that things have been a bit tense between Aya and Ran lately, but don't you think they're going a little overboard?" Omi asked Yohji from the back room where the two were taking off their aprons, their shift over for the day.

Yohji just sighed. "So complicated. My head hurts again," he complained and went upstairs, not saying another word on the matter.

~**~

"That's terrible," Aya said dryly. In truth, he was just trying to treat Ran normally, since the blonde seemed to protest when Aya showed him any affection anymore. 'I just want things to be like they always were!' he had snapped, but this wasn't working very well.

"Well if it's so bad then show me how to do it correctly!" Ran stomped. "What's with you. You're always putting down my efforts now and never show me how to do things properly! I….ooo…you drive me nuts!"

Aya sighed. He was getting yelled at…again. Geez, sometimes Ran was like a moody female. If he was a girl, Aya would blame this on p.m.s., but as it stood…

"Come here."

"No."

"Excuse me?" Aya arched an eyebrow.

"I won't. Because I don't like you very much right now Aya. You're being a putz."

"Will you just come over here and I'll show you…"

"No. I don't want to learn from you anymore," Ran huffed, crossing his arms over his chest and mumbling something about "stupid red-headed monkeys" under his breath.

"Ran-chan….Aya-kuuun….don't fiight!" one of the girls protested.

"Tell him that," Ran grumbled. "I'm being perfectly sensible."

"You are not!"

"Am too!"

"Are not!"

"Am too!"

"Not!"

"Am!"

"Hmph."

"Grr."

"Alright, I've had enough! Everybody out! Ran and I are closing for lunch now!" Aya demanded.

"Lunch?! We just started!" Ran protested.

"Out out out OUT!!!" Aya demanded.

The girls were scared of the red-head, so of course they scurried out the door. "A-ano, Ran-chan…are we still going to the amusement park this evening?"

"Of course!" Ran grinned cheerfully. "I'll call you when I get off work!"

Aya slammed the door in the girl's face.

Ran leaned against the wall with a heavy sigh, pushing his glasses up his nose. "You can be a real bastard when you want to be, you know," he commented dryly.

Aya stomped over and glared at him, fists clenched at sides. He planted his right palm hard against the wall beside Ran's head, causing the smaller boy to jump slightly, and before he knew what was happening, Aya's lips were pressed against his in a bruising kiss. He just knew all the girls outside the shop must be staring slack-jawed. The Koneko didn't have blinds, and making the girls leave just meant they'd hang around outside, chattering together until the door was unlocked again. Even so, he unconsciously tilted his chin up into the other man's lips, a little awkwardly returned the kiss, only slightly, before Aya pulled back and snapped at him, "it's because I'm jealous, you idiot! I don't like you looking at all those girls, dating all those girls. I want your eyes to see no one but me. I want your lips to kiss no one but me. You really are…a complete idiot sometimes, Ran."

"Uh…that may be true, Aya. If you don't tell me things straight, I'll miss them, but you know," Ran said reasonably. "I wasn't aware that we were dating. I mean, you've never asked me out or anything like the girls always do…" he trailed off.

Aya's eyes widened slightly. That was actually true. He'd been so busy obsessing over Ran and wanting to be near him, that it had slipped his mind that he'd never even asked the other boy to go anywhere with him, just the two of them. "Oh. You're right," he realized aloud.

Ran couldn't help the slight snicker that escaped. "Cancel your date tonight. You and I will go out."

"Hey now I didn't say I was going to say yes just because you asked!" Ran protested.

Aya moved onto other tactics then. He looked at Ren with a little pout and "puppy eyes", though Aya's version looked more like "bedroom eyes", leaned in, planting tiny kisses on Ran's jaw and said, "please? You'll have fun, I promise. We can go wherever you want," he offered, assuming since they were both guys, somewhere quiet and out of the way might be in order.

"Can we go to the amusement park?" Ran asked in a small voice. He really wanted to go. Those places were so fun…

"Mmhmn," Aya answered, still kissing his jaw. "Is that a yes?"

"No missions tonight? Or Manx n' Birman?" the blonde asked in a whisper. He really wished Aya would stop doing that. It felt too good. It was making his head a little foggy and he couldn't afford to lose his cool, because if Aya found out that the person he was so obsessed with was a total lie, it was game over.

Aya shook his head against Ran's neck, tickling his throat, the blonde pushed the strands away. "Stop that."

"Say yes."

"Alright alright. Fix my arrangement. It's due to get picked up before yours has to go out. I'll go open the door. They're all staring as it is," Ran sighed.

"Fine," Aya answered, but a slight blush stained his cheeks at mention of the girls. He'd forgotten they were in plain view for their little, argument. Still, it had been worth it. Because tonight, he had a date. He can't remember the last time he'd gone one one…well, willingly. He'd have to make sure to wear something special, not just his usual orange sweater. Ran hated that thing anyway. 'It's orange, Aya. You're a red-head, what are you doing wearing an orange sweater?" "It's comfortable." "It's orange." Yeah, no orange sweater tonight.

"A--uhm…Maki-chan, I'm really sorry, I'm gonna have to cancel our date tonight. Aya is being very pushy and…uh…" Ran scratched the back of his head.

"I heard that," Aya grumbled at him.

"Well you are!" Ran protested, sticking his tongue out at the taller boy.

Aya just snorted. "Anyway, I, uhm, can't go…"

"You really like Aya, don't you Ran-kun?" the brunette he was 'letting down gently' asked in a not-so-subtle whisper with a knowing little smile. Well, it didn't matter, as long as Aya couldn't hear.

"Ah…uhm…" Ran blushed slightly. "Yeah."

Maki giggled. "I could tell," she whispered conspiratorially. "Ran-kun would only kiss the person he likes best, right?"

"Ah..uh…Aa, yeah," he answered, scratching the back of his head and blushing furiously.

"Ran!" Aya snapped. "Do you want to learn how to do this or not? Come over here," Aya snapped.

"Oh, uhm, yes!" he answered, bowing to the brunette who now no longer had a date this evening. "I'm really sorry!" he offered before hurrying over to Aya.

The girl watched them for a few moments, considering. Aya's words were as harsh as ever, but occasionally he would sigh, and he stood close beside Ran, closer than he ever stood beside the other employees of the Koneko. And he'd "accidentally" brush up against the other boy sometimes. In truth, Ran seemed a little skiddish, but Aya was very obviously 'staking his claim' on the boy, as if telling the girls in his not-so-subtle, grumpy way, "hands off."

She leaned over to her friend and giggled slightly, "It's like something right out of one of those shonen ai manga, isn't it?"

"I dunno, they're both boys, isn't it a little…" the girl made a gesture with her hand.

Maki stuck her tongue out at her. "Whatever, I think they're very cute!" she said playfully. "Hey! I want to go shopping. Come with me?"

"Aa okay."

~**~

Okay, this was unusual, granted. But…Aya was nervous. Really really nervous. After some hesitation, he picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Is Aya there?"

"Aya? No she went to work, uhm…this is unusual, you calling…"

"…oh."

"You seem down," Sakura said.

"Uhm." He really debated what he was about to ask the girl who had once proclaimed her love to him. "I'm in a bit of a bind," he admitted, looking at the clothes that were scattered around his room. He'd settled on a pair of black jeans, but he was still topless and they were supposed to leave in ten minutes.

"A bind?" Sakura prodded.

"I can't believe I'm about to ask you this but…what would be considered appropriate to wear for a first date at an amusement park?"

Sakura was unable to bite back the small laugh that escaped. "Sorry sorry Aya! I just really didn't expect to ever hear those words out of your mouth! Well, what's she like? That might help me help you out."

"… …it's Ran."

Sakura's eyes widened. She hadn't realized. "Ah! In that case, whatever you do don't wear the orange sweater!"

"I already know that! You aren't helping!" he complained. He didn't mean to get testy, but…well, he was nervous. By all right, he knew he shouldn't be. They worked together, lived together, hell, they killed together. But date could be a really scary word sometimes, and he wanted to impress Ran enough that he'd be willing to just see him and no one else.

"Aa, alright. Well, what did you have in mind?"

"A shirt, and jeans. I never realized that all of my shirts look the same before now…"

She could hear him frowing on his end of the line. "Alright, give me descriptions then…"

~**~

"A date with Aya? Gah! What was I thinking!" Ran protested, flopping back onto the bed.

"Sweatshirt, sweatshirt, sweater, jersey, don't you have anything nice at all?" Yohji asked.

"I have to wear loose things," Ran offered weakly. "I have khakis though…."

"That's it, grab your khakis and come with me."

"Hey, where are we going? I don't have a lot of time, Yohji!"

"My room. You're borrowing something."

"Are you kidding! I am NOT wearing one of your crop tops!"

"I have other stuff too idiot! I used to be a P.I."

"Oh, right, I forgot."

~**~

Aya finally walked out of the door wearing the first thing he'd actually put on, but had taken off thinking it too simple. A nicely fitted black v-neck t-shirt, jeans, and boots. He actually put his watch on for once too, "accessorize" Sakura had said, and this was as close as Aya got to it. He was about to knock on Ran's door, when Yohji's opened and he deposited the boy in front of the red-head. He was dressed simply in khakis and sneakers with a navy blue button down that cuffed just below the elbows. It was a bit too big for his narrow shoulders, but it still looked good on him.

"Ah…sorry. Yohji made me borrow one of his shirts…" Ran trailed off, scratching the back of his head.

"Go have fun now! Yohji said, waving the pair off. They both seemed a little awkward and nervous.

"Do you think they'll manage to get a full sentence of conversation in tonight?" Ken asked with a chuckle as he watched them get into Aya's car.

"Not likely," Yohji said, "but at least he's trying."

"I still can't believe Aya's gay though. I guess it explains a lot, but it's still a surprise. Not that it matters. I'm not a homophobe or anything. It's just, ya know, ya figure you know a guy pretty well and then he surprises you."

"I don't really think he is," Yohji said thoughtlessly.

"Uh…"

"That is, I think it's just Ran that he likes," Yohji covered quickly.

"Oh. Good point."

~**~

"Oo! I want to go on the bullet next!" Ran said cheerfully.

Aya followed the line where the boy was pointing at the ride. It was a small capsule that seated as many as four people, and it swung up and back up and back until eventually, you were basically completely upside down, and it was moving very quickly. Aya recognize it as the "salt and pepper shakers", a ride with many names. He really hated that ride as a kid. Went on it once, and never again.

"…you like it that much?" he asked, trying not to sound as skeptical as he felt.

"Mmhmn," Ran nodded cheerfully, eyes narrowing with his grin.

Who could deny that face, really? "Alright. But only once. Not like the roller coaster that you had to go on three times."

"Party pooper."

"Or the bumper cars, which you insisted we ride twice."

"You know you like that one. Smushed into an itty bitty car next to yours truly…" he teased.

Aya blushed slightly.

"Okay okay, you can pick the next ride," Ran finally agreed.

Aya's stomach lurched. "I think I'm going to vomit," he admitted grumpily as he sat down on the nearest bench.

"I didn't know you were gonna get sick! You should have told me," Ran complained, sitting down next to him, Indian style on the same bench.

"But you really like that ride. You said…"

"Dummy, I don't like it enough to ruin our date."

"I'll be fine."

"I'll get you some soda," Ran decided, hopping up.

Aya looked at him skeptically.

"It's carbonated. It'll help settle your stomach," Ran assured him.

… …

"Feeling better?"

"Much, thanks," Aya said, dropping the soda in the garbage can.

"So, you decide on a ride, or you want to play games for a bit first?"

"Games, I guess. I don't want to get on any rides just yet."

"Okay! Then let's go."

Ran started walking towards the games when Aya's hand shot out towards his wrist and stopped him.

"Huh?" Ran asked, looking confused. But his eyes lit up in surprise and understanding when Aya laced their fingers together.

"Is it too awkward for you?" the red-head asked softly.

Ran shook his head. "It's only natural. We're on a date, right? But you can't pretend I'm your brother anymore if we hold hands like this."

Aya actually looked a little ashamed at that. "I just, didn't want to trouble you."

"You trouble me all the time, why is now any different?" Ran said, then seeing the little discouraged frown that crossed Aya's face unconsciously, he said, "joking, Aya, geez. Come on. Do you want to try the shooting game? Or that frog thing? Or…"

"How about that one?" Aya pointed. Darts.

"Hah! Okay, but don't be too disappointed when I beat you!" Ran laughed.

"As if," Aya scoffed. Only Omi had ever beat him at this game, and Omi wasn't here.

… …

"Sooo…do you want the pink bunny or the purple bear?" Ran teased.

Aya just scowled at him. He'd lost…again. This was the third game, and as it was, Aya was already tugging around a large plushie dog and a goldfish. Seeing as Aya wasn't about to deign that with an answer, Ran decided for him. "Alright, bunny it is!" he told the guy running the game. "It'll be easier to carry."

Aya yelped in surprise when Ran decided to loop the bunny into his belt so that he didn't have to carry it.

"There," Ran announced. "Now I can keep this." The blonde took hold of Aya's hand, this time of his own volition. "Next?" he asked. "More games?" he asked.

"No more games," Aya grumbled. "I don't feel like losing to you anymore."

Ran chuckled. "If I was a girl you're pride would be hurt now, huh?" he teased.

"Good thing you're not a girl then," Aya retorted.

Ran bit his lip when Aya looked off to the left. "How about the ferris wheel?" Aya offered. That seemed nice and tame. Not a lot of jostling around, and it was a ride, so it could count as his choice. And of course, Aya knew the sort of thing that went on on ferris wheels, though he was playing stupid for now.

"You just want to ride the ferris wheel because it's a well-known make out spot," Ran said with an 'I'm-onto-you' tone to his voice.

"So are you coming?" Aya asked blandly, not even trying to deny it.

"Uh…yeah, okay," Ran blushed slightly, pushing his glasses up his nose.

… … …

The guy running the ferris wheel agreed to babysit Aya's many acquisitions while they were on the ride. Can't very well fit two grown boys, two plushies and a goldfish on a ferris wheel without some careful planning.

"Hey," the guy said. "More power to ya, ya know. It takes guts, two guys going out in the open like this." It was odd to be encouraged by a complete stranger, and when they gave him a surprised look he blushed slightly. "Uh, anyway, have fun!" he said cheerily. When they got on the ride and it started to move, Ran looked at Aya and said, "in the closet, it's obvious, now that he said something."

"Ah. I don't care right now though," Aya commented and Ran realized, 'oh, he wasn't kidding about the making out….'

It was weird. They'd kissed maybe twice so far. They'd never…but Aya was definitely leaning in, his hand was tilting Ran's chin upward, and he could feel the red-head's breath brushing against his skin, and then the lips. It was the first unspontaneous kiss the two shared, and Ran was surprised by how warm it was, and how gentle. His heart was thudding in his ears.

'Mmm,' Aya thought. Yeah, not the most lucid thought in the world, but damn, this was nice, and before his mind knew what his body was doing, his tongue was begging entrance into Ran's mouth. It was gentle, even now. There was none of the warring tongues of his youth, before the accident and his sister, it was all give and take. It felt good. It felt so good that he decided not to murder the people two carts away when he heard. "Mama, look, two boys are kissing," and "Don't look honey." That distasteful tone in her voice. Under any other circumstances, he'd be angry, but as it was he just decided to make more of a show of trying to suck Ran's tongue right out of his mouth, sucking on his lips, kissing his jaw. Yeah, Aya hadn't really meant to go this far. He just figured the ferris wheel would be a nice place to enjoy the weather and scenery and steal a few kisses her and there, but that nasty woman had annoyed him, and Ran was really warm and wasn't really protesting and kissing was definitely a good thing. With each brush of their lips together, Aya was discovering that he liked it more and more.

People were starting to be let off. It seemed as if the ride's conductor decided that they would be last, and Aya heard someone complaining. "Disgusting," one guy said. "Can't even make it with my girl when two guys like that are in my line of vision. His fist clenched on his thigh. Even if it wasn't about him and Ran, he thinks he would be angry. Nobody had a right to judge anyone like that.

Ran pulled away. "Time to stop. Gotta get off soon," he said quietly, eyes averted slightly.

"You heard, didn't you?" Aya asked. "Ran, I…"

"It's nothing, Aya. Don't give it another thought. I may call you bossy and stuff, but I came here with you because I wanted to, so forget it. We already decided, didn't we? Aya is just Aya, right?" It was the blonde's way of saying, 'I like you. I'd like you the same whether you were a boy, or a girl, or whatever. It doesn't matter. You're the one I've decided to be here with.' And it filled Aya's chest with warmth and hope.

"Yeah," he answered. "Exactly. Same to you."

~**~

"Good date?" Ken asked. He was up watching a soccer game when Ran entered. It was late, and Aya had given him one last kiss outside before heading upstairs with a promise of "see you in the morning."

"Yeah," Ran said, sounding more distracted than he meant to. He hadn't expected to run into Ken downstairs, he just wanted to grab his laundry out of the dryer.

But Ken caught the uneasiness in the young man's voice, for once, he looked up from his game, an odd occurrence for him, and asked, "were you hoping it wouldn't be?" It was a joke, really, the brunette didn't expect the answer he got.

"Yeah," Ran repeated, absently digging through his clean clothes. He'd have to change his shirt before bed. It was Yohji's after all, not that he could do that now, or here, in front of Ken.

He didn't realize that Ken had gotten up, put his hand on his shoulder. "Hey. Do you need to talk about it? Is it because, you know…" Ken hedged. It was hard for him to say, and it's not like it was his business.

"Because we're both guys? No, that has nothing to do with it. I just can't help but wonder, if he'll ever be able to forgive me."

Ken's eyes widened, 'for what?' he wanted to ask, or 'what does that mean?' But in the end, the words that came out of his mouth were, "I'm sure you're just worrying too much. Aya likes you better than anyone else, except for maybe his sister."

"Yeah," Ran sighed, pushing his glasses up his nose the way he always did and lifting his laundry basket. "That's sort of the problem. Goodnight."

It left Ken confused. Whatever it was, Ran didn't want to talk about it. Ken wondered vaguely if it had something to do with Schuldich, but he couldn't ask. The men of Weiss, they all had secrets. That's just the way it was.

~**~

Aya lie down in bed with a content sigh, his fingers coming up to brush his lips absentmindedly. Ran was…a really good kisser. Well, okay, maybe that was only part of what was on his mind, but he was too tired to think of much else. He'd gotten a small tank and some fish food and set up his new pet on top of his dresser, threw the bunny and three foot tall stuffed dog into the corner, and was now too exhausted to think, but he was sure he would have nice dreams, for once.