Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Calico ❯ Chapter Nine: Being Ran ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Calico

By: Banshee Puppet

Part Nine: Being Ran

**********

"Ungh."

Aya's eyes darted up from where he'd spent the past two days seated beside the window of the hospital room. The nurses had tried to get him to leave, so had the doctors, but he was bound and determined to stay by Ran's side. He was also very, very confused. He could see the rise and fall of unbound breasts under the thin hospital gown. He knew it wasn't a dream. Ran…was a girl. Not only was Ran a girl, but he was that girl. He didn't know how many weeks he'd obsessed over her, her spider-web eyes, so sad, the person most like himself. And then when he met "Ran" he honestly did forget about her; her sorrow evaporated from his eyes. He had mourned for Rie, but he had fallen in love with Ran. To find out now that they were one in the same, and that he--she--whatever, had spent months lying to him--well, he was angry. But angry could wait. Angry could wait until the person he--until this person lying in the bed woke up. And now he heard a shifting against the sheets, and a groan, and….

"A-Aya."

And the voice, was hers. Not the false voice that was Ran's, but her own, true voice. He tensed, stood, took the seat at her side as she slowly opened her eyes, blinking unfocused eyes up at the ceiling. "Aya…" she said again, and this time, it was Ran's voice, as she woke, it was Ran's voice that came from her lips without much thought. Well, sure, she'd been using it for a long time now. Of course it would seem normal.

Aya clenched his fists in his lap. "I'm here," he said, surprised at his own voice in the silent hospital, late at night.

She stared up at him. It was obviously taking her some time to figure out where she was and what was going on. He wondered if she even remembered what had happened.

"You're in the hospital," he informed her blandly. "The doctors say you'll be fine. I had to tell them you were attacked by some crazed rapist, but I got to you before he could…do anything. They wouldn't believe anything else. Even muggers don't go this far. I'm not sure they believe me though. The nurses all think I'm an abusive boyfriend, or something."

She chuckled. "How many of them did you threaten to kill?" Then his eyes widened as the memory seemed to hit him full force and he sat bolt upright looking at the rise of his…well, breasts, through the thin cotton. "Shit. Aya, I…"

"I'm still angry, so maybe now isn't the best time to talk about it. So…Kodomo…is your father."

Ran sighed and nodded.

"Biological?"

"…no. He died…a long time ago. It was, before I was born." Still Ran's voice.

"All that about your family, about…how and why you were born--was that all a lie too, Rie?" Aya bit out. It wasn't harsh, not really. He just sounded deeply hurt by the very thought of it.

Rie ran fingers through her short hair. "No. Aya, I know you have no reason to believe me but…I only lied about one thing. I only had one real secret. Granted, it was a doozy, but…"

"Damn right it was. I thought I was gay because of you."

She couldn't stifle a small chuckle. "Well, you didn't seem to mind much at the time."

Aya shrugged slightly. "Well, love is just…love, I guess. I couldn't help myself. I thought you had no sex drive, or something."

"This coming from the ice king?" she scoffed.

"Hey! I have a sex drive! I just don't advertise it! I wanted to do it with you, anyway."

They both blushed.

"I didn't plan for you to find out like this, you know. I wanted to tell you, but…well, I know how you are about trusting people. I just didn't think I could stand it if you never forgave me. Guess I've got no choice but to face it now."

"I'm not going to lie. You betrayed me, and I'm kind of pissed about it, but you've been asleep for two days, and I've had a lot of time to think. I won't stay mad at you forever, but I don't know where we go from here. I don't know who you are, or who you intend to be. I can't even figure out what I should call you anymore."

"I…don't know either, but I really liked it, you know, being Ran. I'm not sure if that's who I am or not, but it's who I'd like to be. I want to be Ran, if that's possible, because being Rie just hurts way too much. Without Taro's shadow, I'm not strong enough to be Rie anymore. It was…all that…you know, it just feels like a whole different life, is all. So do you mind? I mean, can I keep it, the name?"

Aya sighed softly. "It suits you well enough. So you're going to keep pretending to be a boy, then?"

"I guess so. I never made much sense as a girl anyway. I've always been a tomboy. I excel at sports. I like fighting. I hate dresses and make-up…"

"Do you hate them more than my orange sweater?" he asked idly, they both needed to lighten the subject a little after all that they'd gone through.

"Oh no! No way! I don't hate anything that much! Not even mushrooms--detestable little fungi."

Aya stifled a chuckle, but then it bubbled out anyway. "So I guess fried portabella sandwiches with tomato and cheese are out of the question then."

"Most definitely."

"And Chicken Marsala."

"Undoubtedly."

"And cream of mushroom soup."

"Would you quit it already. At this rate I'm not going to want to eat for at least a week."

"That's a shame, because now I'm hungry."

"Jerk."

Before she knew what was happening, Aya had her lips wrapped up in a warm, wet kiss. She tilted her chin to give him better access, and he took the opportunity to sweep his tongue inside of her mouth. He was such an intense kisser. Every time he kissed her, the whole world fell away.

Parting from her, he took a few breaths, resting his forehead against hers. "Sorry, they just looked so tasty," he teased slightly.

Did this mean she was forgiven? She didn't know. "Aya…uhm…"

He pushed her gently back onto her back and kissed her forehead. "You should get some sleep. You haven't healed yet. Goodnight, Ran."

"Uh, but…that kiss just now…uhm…" She didn't know how to say it.

"Just because I'm a little annoyed with you right now doesn't mean I love you any less. If I did, then it wouldn't be love, right? Get some sleep. I won't stay mad forever."

"Yohji said you can hold a grudge for a really long time," Ran pouted, seeming unsure as to the truth in her boyfriend's statement.

"Well, that's true," Aya hedged a bit. "But none of the other people I've been angry at have been as cute as you."

Ran threw his pillow at the red-head. "Idiot," she scolded.

Aya tossed it back and closed the door between them. "Even if I am an idiot," he said to himself. "It's really…all your fault, Ran."