Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Meet Me in Las Vegas ❯ first encounters ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

$First Encounters$
 
It just wasn't his night. In the middle of his practice, he suddenly got hungry. And of all the things to forget, he forgot what that Mr. Rogers said about ordering food, and he's too proud to wake Manx up to ask her. After all, he was the one who dismissed Mr. Rogers in the middle of his explanations. So he opted for the other choice, the one where he asks Aya-chan to go down to the hotel restaurant with him for a late dinner. He would never hear the end of it, he supposed, but it can't be helped. He'd rather not be sickly because he keeps skipping meals. Aya-chan was predictably happy, and was ready in a matter of minutes, and soon the two were in the lobby. Ran checked his wristwatch. 11:25 pm. Hmm. Why are there so many people up and about? As if sensing his question, Aya-chan quipped.
 
“Did you know the hotel has a casino? Well, we are in Las Vegas after all.”
 
Ran's face was passive, but inside he was nodding. A casino. That explains the nocturnal people.
 
“Ran, the sign says we have to pass through the casino to get to the restaurant.”
“Huh? What's wrong with this restaurant?”
“It's closed.”
“Oh.”
 
Well, guess it can't be helped. Ran dug his hands into his jacket's pockets (he had not bothered to change his practice clothes and just took a jacket), steeling himself for the onslaught of human beings getting too close to his personal space (which was, predictably, a good farther than most people's). Once they stepped into the casino, the world changed. Shouts of triumph can be heard here and there, followed by applause, mingling with groans of loss, and other assortment of sounds grating on Ran's ears. He quickened his steps, sidestepping people and ignoring the looks thrown his way. Couldn't these people part and give him way?! He was hungry! Ran saw rows and rows of `slot machines' like the one in his room, only bigger, and he slowed down to look.
 
“Hello, doll. Mind if I hold your hand? Just for luck.”
 
Ran whipped around and saw the back of a man standing between him and his slightly surprised sister. Ran's eyes narrowed.
 
 
The woman earlier didn't have the luck he was missing. Yohji said goodnight to her and tried several other hands to hold for luck. There are two kinds of gamblers, Yohji mused: the scientific ones who analyze and comes up with a system for betting, and the superstitious kind- case and point Yohji Kudou. No rabbit's foot or four-leaved clover for this man, but a lucky hand held in his own will do.
 
He was about to call it a night when a flash of red caught his eye. He tried to make eye contact but the redhead was too busy staring at the slot machines (as if he never saw one before) to notice, so he settled for the redhead's company which turned out to be a cute, sunny girl who he deduced wasn't even 18. He easily made eye contact with her, she must be really friendly, and gave her a smile, which she returned with a politely sunny one. Youji wasn't really one for the younger girls, he never fancied himself a pedophile, but any luck would do, and he had a feeling this girl won't take his offer the wrong way, what with her being so friendly and all.
 
“Hello doll, mind if I hold your hand? Just for luck.”
 
The girl was slightly surprised, but held out her hand after a moment's hesitation. Yohji shot her a genuine smile, but before he could take her hand, another hand shot out and grabbed him by the wrist. He looked up to see who it was, ad he was surprised to see it was the redhead. The girl gave out a surprised exclamation.
 
“Ran!”
 
Yohji didn't even notice the girl, him being so transfixed on the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen. Piercing amethyst eyes heavily framed by thick lashes were narrowed to near slits, practically shooting ice daggers towards him. Those incredibly luscious lips barely moved to mouth the words in a dangerous low voice:
 
“She minds.”
 
Yohji forced himself to break his gaze and not to be unnerved. He shot the girl a questioning look, which smiled at him apologetically and shrugged, then turned his gaze back at the redhead and gave him a lazy grin.
 
“It's okay baby, you'll do.”
 
And with that, he grabbed the hand on his left wrist with his right hand and held it near his chest, inserted a coin on the nearest slot machine and pulled the lever down. The frosty glare on the redhead's face was now replaced with surprised indignation. Yohji's grin widened.
 
“What's the matter? Never saw a slot machine before?”
 
The noise of the slot machine distracted Yohji and the redhead was gone when he looked back. A sudden flush of coins came from the machine and people started crowding towards him. His first win after nights of successive loss.
 
“Well, I'll be damned.”