Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ New Rules, New Ruler ❯ Chapter 28 ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twenty-Eight

`It's her, it's her. That bitch, those are my powers. Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch…'

`Who?'

`Me. Um, who are you?'

`That's just Farfarello's repressed subconscious. You can call it Jei, if you want. Get out, bitch.'

`Here to help. Really, it's you who has to get out. Heh, I crack myself up.'

`Yeah, I'm rolling around back here. So funny I wish I had my own mouth to laugh with. Get the point?'

`Sarcasm, so rude. Um, is there anything we can do about Jei?'

`God put me here, and so I will stay as God ordained it. Trust in him and ye shall be rewarded.'

`Okay. Who's God?'

`I guess being brought up in a test tube didn't give you much of a theological background. Let `im be.'

`Okay, I'm withdrawing. This will be quite rough on both of you, I think, and anyone else in there.'

`So very droll.'

* * *

Farfarello's body twitched. The only sound was Schuldig's body, muttering softly to itself.

"… has it worked will it work it hasn't worked have a little faith will they kill me if it doesn't work has it wor-"

Silence reigned. It reigned so long Queen Victoria would have been impressed.

"Is he…"

Tash's head lolled forewards. If it weren't for the chains she'd have collapsed to the floor.

"Knock it off," Crawford snarled. "Has it worked?"

Tash slowly raised her head. "I actually blacked out," she complained indignantly. "I-"

"Not `I'," Crawford growled, "'he'."

"What? Oh, yes. Well, he is back in there, but don't expect too much. He's likely to be out for weeks, months, maybe years. Comatose. His body has to adapt to his presence again, and it was a long time he was gone, relatively speaking. His body was beginning to die, he mind was beginning to let go… In all honesty, his recovery time-"

"-is pretty quick. Ask Crawford," Schuldig leered.

Silence flooded the room again. It was eventually broken by an overjoyed squeal as Nagi flung himself on top of Schuldig.

"Missed you too, chibi," Schuldig murmured, looking embarrassed by all the attention. Nagi hugged him tight.

"I feel so awful," Nagi murmured into Schuldig's neck.

"Why?" Schuldig stared at him.

Nagi didn't answer, only hugging the older man closer. "I… I love you, I mean, not the way Crawford loves you, but I missed you like hell and I'm so glad you're okay…"

"Like Crawford loves me…" Schuldig said to himself. He`d been avoiding Crawford's eyes, barely looking at him.

"Yes," Crawford said simply. He sat next to Schuldig on the rug. Nagi disentangled himself tactfully and moved to rouse Farfarello while Crawford and Schuldig sat and engaged in meaningful looks for several minutes. Okay, while they chatted nineteen to the dozen, but in a manner none of the other occupants of the room were privy to.

*Miss me? * Schuldig asked, trying to sound brash, but coming across rather as hesitant. The answer clearly meant a lot.

*You have no idea, * Brad admitted. *Look, I'm sorry- *

*The great Bradley Crawford admitting he's wrong? *

*Shut up. *

*It hurt, you know, being given that ultimatum. I'm still pissed at you. Hence the sarcasm and the snippy tones. *

*I know. What I was trying to say was I'm sorry I snapped at you like that and threatened to make you leave. We're a team. We don't operate properly when we're minus a member. *

*You're not sorry I almost died? *

*Of course I am! What do you think I am? *

*Damned if I know. * Schuldig drew his knees up under his chin. *You run hot and cold like a bloody tap. You have this emotionless ice-prick persona you won't drop. You act like we're only together because it's convenient, like it was when you first started fucking me. Remember that? Remember the conversation back in Germany? Remember how we both accepted there was more to this than just the sex? When did it go back to just sex and why did I miss the memo? *

*I love you *

* I mean, I know I have a chequered past, but it's pretty low to treat me like that, you know? And… *

Schuldig blinked. A smile curved across his face. *See what I mean about the hot and cold? Can't believe it took you so bloody long to say that! * Crawford looked a little awkward. The softness that had bloomed in his eyes began to fade and he glared at Schuldig. Schuldig grinned lazily. *Aw, come on, it's not often I have you in this position. Hanging off my every word, pleading inwardly for my acquiescence- *

*That's a mighty big word for a cheap prostitute, * Crawford snarled.

*Ouch. Come on, doesn't it really need saying? We both know- *

*Why are you so reluctant? *

*Just giving you a taste of your own medicine. *

Crawford's insides churned. His father's voice echoed in his head. `More fool the woman who loved you. How do you expect to amount to anything, brat? Spoiled, ungrateful child. Can't you do anything right? Fruit of my loins my arse. If the bitch hadn't died I'd have sued her for breach of contract. Divorce! What do you want from me, love? When you deserve it you'll get it. '

"Love you," Schuldig murmured out loud, and pressed a gentle kiss to Brad's slack lips.

There was gentle silence, enhanced by the spit and crackle of the fire. Brad reached up and tucked a stray strand of fiery hair behind Schuldig's ear, and kissed him a little more forcefully.

"You know," Schuldig commented carelessly, "if your father wasn't dead I'd kill him. Let's go dance on his grave, ja? No, piss on it! No, fuck on it! Wait, all three, though perhaps not in that order."

Brad began to laugh. It felt good, the tension easing from his body. Schuldig chuckled too, and Nagi grinned, not sure if he was supposed to be in on the joke or not. Brad leant against his lover's supple body.

"You really know how to ruin a moment, don't you?"

"Just bringing everyone back to reality," Schuldig pointed out with a sigh. "Anyone else notice the room's filling up with smoke?"

"I though I put the fire out," Brad said in alarm.

"You did," Nagi murmured fearfully. Three heads turned. A fourth forced itself a little way off of Nagi's lap as Farfarello came round.

Metal pooled on the floor. Ropes were little more than cinders. The straightjacket was so many buckles and straps encrusted with ash. Tash stood before them.

"Hey, you're really not bad looking," Schuldig leered. Tash snatched the curtains from their rail and wrapped the slightly mildewy fabric around her otherwise naked body.

"I'm going to do good. I'm going to make people happy. You're not going to stop me, you arrogant bastards! Who are you to say what's right and what's wrong? You'll be sorry, when you're the only miserable ones on a planet full of happy people! No, I won't let you live that long. You'll just depress everyone!" With that, she walked out.

"Hey, she didn't kill us!" Nagi exalted in sheer confusion.

"No shit, Sherlock," Schuldig muttered.