Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ The Wire Cuts Deep ❯ Hello again ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
As he reached the door Youji knocked softly. After he didn’t recive and answer he knocked again, this time louder.
“Who’s there?” a deep voice came from the other side of the door. He remembered this voice and it made him uneasy.

After a moment of silence he finally said “Youji”.

The silence that followed was unnerving and made Youji long for a smoke. Maybe it was not such a good idea after all to come here. Maybe he should’ve just stayed at home and threw the damn sword into the trash. Or maybe he should have just sent it via mail.

A couple of minutes passed and nothing happened, Youji was about to ask if Aya was alright when the door finally opened.

Youji looked at Aya and Aya looked at him. Youji looked nervous and Aya looked as though he had seen a ghost. Awkward minutes they spent just staring at each other. Until Aya final stepped aside “Come in”.

Youji stepped into the room, noticing distantly how little there actually was to it. It looked comfy enough, but just not overly so.

“There is something I have to give you back” Youji reached for the pack under his arm. “Thank you for letting me use it, I’m sorry it took me so long to return it”.

It was a very formal tone and it irritated Aya. Still he appreciated the rather uncharacteristic words. When he looked at Youji like this there were so many things he wanted to ask, so many questions hanging in the room, unanswered.

But he didn’t voice them. In fact he didn’t want to voice them.

“You see Aya, I- … I will tell you the truth” Youji paced back and forth in the room “I have amnesia. I’m probably not really the person you used to know anymore. I don’t remember much from the past, but the few things I still know tell me I was a totally different person back then and I was having a life much different from my life now” he didn’t really know why he told Aya all of this, but he felt he needed to, as though he owed at least some kind of explanation to them and to Aya.

Aya finally took the weapon from Youji, looking him in the eyes “Is that so?”

Youji sighed softly “Yes”.

Aya simply nodded and unwrapped the katana.

“Aya I-” Youji didn’t know what else to say, but he felt that he needed to say something. “I don’t know what to think about Kudou Youji… please tell me: was he good person?”.

Aya frowned and thought about this for minutes. Finally he said “No.” Aya bowed his head and after a moment a cold glare was directed towards Youji. “Now Leave. And never come back. Youji Kudou is dead, you replaced him. I appreciate the trouble you probably took to get here, but I assume your business with me is finished?”

Youji was speechless for a second. He hadn’t expected such hard words from Aya. But it did make sense. Kudou was probably a good friend of Aya’s and it must hurt him to see a complete stranger take his place. “Thank you for your advice, Fujimiya-san. From what I can tell Kudou-san saw in you a very good friend.”

‘…but he would give a damn about it anyway’ Aya thought as he placed the katana on his cabinet. Youji had almost reached the door when suddenly a very quiet and low and thin scream escape his lips and he took hold of the doorframe, to stable himself.

“Youji?” Aya’s expression opened up for a split second, alarmed. Instinctively he took a step closer to him. Youji had his eyes closed in a concentrated frown.
It didn’t take long until he came back to his senses. “Don’t worry about it Fujimiya-san, I’ll get it every now any then, it’s nothing serious.”

Youji nodded his head once and looked at Aya once more, his eyes hard “Again, thank you, Fujimiya-san” turned and left. Just like that.

Both Chloé and Yuki were rather curious who the guest was and what he wanted, but it was bothering Ken to an extend that Aya didn’t like.

Especially because it motivated the young KB to have a long talk with Aya in the evening.

Much like Youji had earlier that day Ken came to Aya’s room in the evening to talk with him about it.

“So what was that all about?”

“What do you mean?”

“What do I mean” Ken spat out “Youji, I mean. We never learned what happened to him … I thought he was dead!”

“No, I brought him to a hospital”

“And you never bothered to tell?”

“It wasn’t important”

“It was fucking damn well important”

“What would’ve changed if you knew?”

“A lot of things! We wouldn’t have to worry about him, knowing that he was still alive!”

“He is not alive anymore”

“He has changed, but he’s still Youji. Youji in a suit - but still Youji!”

“Itou Youji, wasn’t that what he told Chloé what his name was?”

“Itou, Kudou, where is the difference?”

“The difference is that this is an entirely different person?”

“Come on Aya, don’t tell me shit, he’s just changed to fit his surroundings for now, that’s the way he works”

“He has lost his memory”

“Yeah, sure. And you bought that. So why was he here then? And how did he remember us?”

“My katana”

“Come again?”

“He had promised to bring back my katana”

“Excuse me Aya, but this you’ll have to explain. How would someone that doesn’t remember his past remember a promise he made in said past, and why for all heavens sake did he still have that katana?”

“He remembered small parts”

“Yeah, sure”
“So what was I to do?! Should I have told him ‘Hey this might come as a surprise, but we used to be a team of people that made their living by murdering’, was it that that he needed to go home peacefully, Ken?”

“No… but….” Ken shook his head and sighed “I don’t know, Aya! And how should I!? I mean I never knew Youji even lived much less what had happened to him”

“How should I have known?”

“Fuck Aya. You knew at least part of it!”

“Just accept that Kudou Youji is dead, and there is only an Itou Youji who looks like him”

“I can’t. Not when I saw Youji walking in and out of here just a couple of hours ago.”

“It wasn’t him.”

“Yeah I guess you’re right, Aya. Just keep telling yourself that, and you’ll be fine.” Ken stormed off with a disgusted grunt.