Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ I Cannot Offer You Freedom ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I Cannot Offer You Freedom

~*~

The sheets rustled softly as she turned over for what seemed like the millionth time that night, trying to get comfortable. But Michael's face flooded her mind, and no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't seem to fall asleep. Robin opened her eyes and stared at the small patch of moonlight on the floor. She should go to him.

The thought was unexpected and firm, and the young girl was more then slightly surprised at its existence. Where did that come from?

But even so, she rose and put on her black dress and tied her hair up with their usual ribbons. Closing the door to her room behind her, she crept silently out of the house, not wishing to awaken Touko.

The moon was full that night, and its bright silver rays illuminated the streets and buildings outside with an ethereal glow. Robin breathed in deeply and felt the cool night air sting her nostrils slightly, smelling faintly of grass and smoke. Maybe I'll get him a little something before I head over to the STN-J . . .

~~~

The slight rustling of material and the faint smell of something familiar roused him from his half-sleep, tickling his mind and senses until he was almost driven mad by the teasing. Raising his head, Michael caught sight of a box of donuts sitting on the desk before him, a pale hand withdrawing from setting them there.

Curious, Michael caught hold of the hand, holding it in his, and looked up at its owner. Robin gazed back down at him, her eyes wondering and her mouth already curving upwards in a tiny smile.

Unconsciously smiling back, Michael suddenly realized he was still holding the 15-year-old's hand, and let go quickly, a faint line of red staining the skin under his eyes. Looking down he reached out a hand and took the donuts, opening the box and taking one out, offering another to Robin.

But she declined, looking over his shoulder at the picture still floating on the computer monitor. The hacker flicked his eyes between her slender form and the screen several times. Should I tell her? CAN I tell her? He closed his eyes for a moment, his mind toying with him much like a cat toys with a mouse. Resolve hardened his features. Yes . . . I can . . . But just as he opened his mouth to explain, the Craft User beat him to it.

"Is that your mother?" Her voice was gentle, and she pulled up another chair and joined him by the computer.

Sighing quietly, he hung his head for a moment, before raising it determinedly and looking her directly in the eye. "Yes . . . that is . . . my mother."

Robin nodded and looked at the picture again for a long moment before saying, "You look a lot like her, you know."

Michael nodded wordlessly, astounded at Robin's tone of normalcy and her unpitying response to his situation. "You have the same hair . . . and she seems have the same optimistic outlook you have."

He smiled sadly. "She was the one who gave it to me really. She taught me to always take things as they come, to live everyday as if it were my first and last. I can remember-" His voice broke here as he choked back a sob.

Understanding clouding her emerald eyes, Robin leaned forward and put her arms around the upset hacker. Letting himself mold to her embrace, the blue-eyed boy waited a moment and continued. "I can remember, she always used to say 'Michael, you worry too much. Forget what's going to happen tomorrow and relax; live for the moment, and I promise you, you will never want for anything'. That's stuck with me all this time." He snorted quietly. "It's the only thing that's kept me from going insane, stuck here in this place. I take it a day at a time . . ."

He trailed off and closed his eyes for a moment, the warm arms around him triggering a flow of memories he had thought were forgotten. Robin glanced down at the orange head on her shoulder and admitted, "I never knew my parents."

Pulling away slightly, Michael looked up at her and saw neither regret, nor sadness in her eyes. What must that have been like for her? I can't even begin to imagine . . . Aloud he said, "That must have been tough . . . at least I had my mother when I was growing up."

"The convent wasn't a bad place," she replied, her voice soft, and smooth as ever. "But you . . . what about your father?" She saw Michael's mouth tighten into a thin line as he sat up; she let her arms fall.

He looked away from his co-worker and answered in a steely voice, "He left my mother when I was three. I don't remember him."

Robin heard the pain and anguish in his voice, and knew there must be more to the story, but she didn't push him. It was surprising enough already that he had decided to share all these other facts with her; while the hacker was a friendly, easy-going person, he didn't like to talk much about his private life, and Robin hadn't really known too much about him until now.

Looking back at her, Michael reached out one hand and brushed a lock of blonde hair out of her eyes. "I'm sorry Robin." His eyes took on a faraway look and for some unexplainable reason, Robin felt her heart speed up.

But with a soft sound, the STN-J worker let his hand drop and turned back to the desk in front of them. "Thanks for the donuts."

Robin smiled at him and reached out one hand, taking his in hers.

For the rest of the night, the two sat in silence, listening to the other's breathing.

~~~

Yay! A long chapter! ^.^ This one was about twice the length of the others, and I hope you all enjoy it! I know the plot is still a little slow and I apologize for that. Gomen! Things will start unfolding the next chapter though, I promise, thanks so much for reading. Reviews or suggestions would be much appreciated!

~SanoGirl