Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ The Beginning of an End ❯ Comforting Lie ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Witch Hunter Robin or any of its characters, but I do own the characters I made up. Sue me, but you won't get any money.
A/N: Sorry for such a quick update…too many people have `threatened' me to write up the next chapter. This is probably the chapter all of you “Amon-lovers” were waiting for, so…enjoy! And don't forget the reviews…it's really the only way I could improve as a better writer.
---------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter Four- Comforting Lie
Elicia walked up to the espresso machine to get the second cup for the morning. Although it's been almost a year and a half of working under Akagai Sakamoto, she couldn't quite fit into the social business environment. It also wasn't an easy position to be the only 18-year old at an adult-appropriate field.
Mr. Sakamoto appeared out of his bigger and more spacious office. His good-looking features resembled a true businessman, with very straight black hair that made him look much too young for a 26 year old C.E.O. He looked around at the faces of his workers, and waved at Elicia who bowed in return. She'd known that the boss had a strange abnormality to him, although she couldn't pick out what. One of the light bulbs went out with a little pop, and the janitor went over to look at it.
“There's going to be some representatives arriving later in the afternoon, so better be prepared for it.” He looked around, looking for a particular face. “Especially you, Mr. Suou.”
The 30 year old groaned good naturedly. After Sakamoto disappeared back into his office, Suou turned to face Elicia, who was right next to him. “The last time we had visitors, I got my wage cut down. I mean, what I did doesn't worth that much cruelty,” he grumbled.
Elicia smiled, and seeped more espresso. She pretended to be deeply immersed in her assignment, which was to look for and print out papers the boss needed and organize them into folders. She had the feeling that something was coming, disastrous or not. She had never before felt so sure of herself. Could the dream possibly have meant something? She asked to herself, No, dreams don't mean anything…Replied the inner Robin. Nothing's going to happen. I just had too much espresso for one morning.
Hours passed on, and the battle between anxiety and the obligation to finish her work was wearing Elicia out. Most of the workers were out for lunch but some remained including Elicia, who hadn't finished their morning duties yet. She remained at her desk and waited for papers to arrive. Then, she felt a very light tap her on the shoulder. It was the boss, who was standing behind her, scratching his head childishly.
“Well, it seems like you haven't eaten anything yet. How `bout going over to that western food place down the park?” He asked, and Elicia looked up puzzled. It was pretty uncommon for a boss to ask someone out for lunch.
“Oh, that sounds fine,” She replied uncertainly. It would be rude to reject him anyway.
The park seemed peaceful and mellow, even though the air was still frigid. Bare trees lined the brick road where Sakamoto and Elicia were walking back to their office. Most of the snow had been melted or was frozen along the parkway, and a few people rushed by with their thick jackets squeezing them like sausage.
“So, where were you living before you came here?” The boss asked good-naturedly, white puffs billowing out as he talked.
Elicia hesitated. Would it be safe to tell him? “I lived in Italy for a very long time. I moved here just three years ago,” She decided to protect the truth. After the Zaizen incident, she had learned that valuable lesson. She watched her own breath disappear into the chilly air.
The boss raised his eyebrows, apparently very impressed. “That's pretty good Japanese for a three-year-old immigrant. You see, I've known this folks who's been living here for whole 9 years- let me tell you-”
------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------
“Akagai Sakamoto,” A dark man muttered under his breath. He couched lower behind a thick frozen bush. His raven-dark hair and form almost blended in with the bare gray surroundings, so it was very difficult for anyone to spot him there. His impassive eyes widened when he saw the extremely familiar but changed face. “Robin…?”
The ominous man furrowed his brows and watched the young girl and the enemy who seemed like a good friend of hers walk away, crossing the busy streets. They disappeared among the passing cars.
“Damn it…” He spat and slowly stood up, stepping into the walkway. His target was Sakamoto, just him alone. With absolutely no one near him. Robin, I see that you are alive…but why did I have to see you here? With him?He questioned pointlessly into his head and stared solemnly at the tall building the two were headed to. He had no will to pursuit his enemy any longer. He turned around and started the long walk back to where he came from.