Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Haven Reawaken: Wolf's rain/ Restart ❯ Nostalgia ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Nostalgia

Kiba wasn't far before the rank smell of despair, poverty, and engine emission crowded him. He even flinched, taking a couple of steps back before a slight waft of the scent of flowers reapproached him, and he pressed forward, determined.

It seemed as if that Violet-eyed girl from before knew more about him than he did..that bothered him. He made it his first mission to find her, but something about his surroundings were all too familiar. And that seemed impossible, because he couldn't have ever been here before..then again, he didn't remember anything.

The wolf-in-hiding dropped his blue eyes shortly, processing the scents, be they fragrant or stenches, and the sounds:

Mothers hurrying along children

Men conversing in shops

Other men selling things on the street

Children running down the sidewalk

And the occasional cat fight.

Stopping, Kiba glanced down an alley, quickly taking refuge to just stand, and watch. Humans were less pleasant to watch, even compared to smelling. They just went along with their lives, routine and without worry of hazard besides maybe not getting to work on time. It disgusted Kiba, but that was familiar too...

"You lost?" A voice called out to Kiba.

He turned his head sharply to see a fat tom-cat laying lazily on a trashcan. It looked up at him with one eye, the other almost melded shut by a scar.

"Well..no...just looking for someone..or thing."He murmered, and the cat chuckled, though no human would be able to tell you that.

"Yeah, I guess we're all looking for something. Next meal, or just a warm place to sleep away from the rain. You're lucky to be able to look like that kid, you could find a home and live the life in that disguise, mhm."

Kiba frowned, shaking his head. "No...something tells me I wouldn't be happy living a life like them."He muttered, looking back at the humans, who continued to storm about like lemmings; Going everywhere, and nowhere.

"So, anything I can help you with? 'm not accoustomed to helping the canine-type, but then again you 'aint no typical stray. You're a wolf aren't you?"The tomcat asked, and Kiba nodded.

The tomcat licked it's chops lazily, sitting up and stretching.

"Well, I can't promise you much, but you can ask."

Kiba looked at him hesitantly, then shoved his hands into the pockets of his jacket.

"There was a girl who found me earlier. I think she was a wolf too. But it was like she knew more about me than...well, me. She had strange, violet eyes..."

The tomcat nodded, scratching his ear before sighing.

"Seen her around often. The dogs that howl at night, they think she's a goddess. She 'aint, any crow can tell you that." He said with a chuckle,
"But she is a wolf. I heard some homeless guys the other day bickering, sayin' she drifts in and out of people's visions, guiding them to warmth and safety. She'll help anyone, 'cuz she's lookin'."

Kiba cocked his head, curious.

"Looking for what?"

The tomcat stared off into the crowd of humans, quiet for a moment.
"She's lookin'...for the key to paradise."

The wrenching in Kiba's gut came back, and he found himself leaning against the wall, still watching the tomcat.

"Paradise?"He asked, and the cat nodded.

"Yeah, paradise."The tomcat continued. "The humans..they've always been interested in paradise and the sort. Heavens, paradise, eden. Any place they can go to escape the lives they have now. But some of them know the truth. And it drives them insane..."

Kiba pressed on, wanting more answers immediately. "What truth? What are they so worried about?"

The tomcat chuckled, tail flicking in amusement at Kiba's eagerness.

"The fact that no human can open paradise. It's been spoken, in whispers, since the beginning of time, that only a wolf can open paradise. There fore, she: The Angel of wolves, seeks only wolves. Because in your dieing breed lies the key."

Kiba faltered, and fell to the ground, a rush making him feel faint. The feeling in his gut, the wrenching he continued to encounter, it was because he knew this! Nostalgia swept over him, almost like the warmth from earlier, but ever so bittersweet.

"But before she can open Paradise with the key, she has to find the only one who can actually lead the way. It's a two part thing, y'know?"The tomcat continued, then looked over and realized Kiba was no longer concious. He laid there against the wall, knee up, hand against his stomache.

The cat chuckled, jumping down and crawling up next to kiba, laying against his thigh.

"I bet I know why she came to you...You lucky wolf...I bet you're the key."The tomcat murmered, chuckling again.

---


"...hey..."


Her smell..it was back. But it wasn't actually there..It was like an imprint. A stamp.

"....hey mister, you all right?"

Kiba's eyes shot open, and he jumped to attention where he sat, the cat beside him jumping to awareness as well, but quickly settling again and giving the boy infront of them a moody look.

"Hey mister, you ok? Sh-should I get some help?" The kid asked, Kiba giving him a surprised look.

"er..."Kiba murmered, shaking his head as he tried to find the words. "Er..no, I-..i'm all right."He stammered, and the kid frowned.

"You don't sound like it."He persisted.

Kiba shot him a cautious glance, which faded into thoughtfulness.

The kid gave him an odd look, backing up as Kiba leaned forward.

"Hey.."Kiba murmered. "Do I know you? You look familiar.."

The boy tilted his head, sitting up and shifting the white, furry bundle in his arms, which turned out to be a kitten, mewing sweetly.

"I doubt it, you don't seem familiar.."The boy spoke softly, and Kiba analyzed him; Light eyes, soft face, soft spoken, virtually no build..and that key trait, that medium-length, reddish brown hair.

"Oh.."Kiba spoke, still unsure, the young man's face stirring up some kind of thought in his head.

"Alright..nevermind."Kiba murmered, and the boy turned to leave.

The young man stopped short at the end of the alleyway, still petting the soft bundle in his arms.

"Hey.."He called out to Kiba, who looked up hopefully.

"If you need anything..Me and my granny...we live at the very end of this alleyway, past the aquaduct. Don't hesitate to come by!"He called.

Kiba's hopes faded, and he nodded.

"By the way, my name is Toboe!"The boy called once more, before turning away.

Kiba stood up suddenly, the name clicking in his mind immediately.

"T-toboe.."Kiba spoke hushedly.

The tomcat chuckled again, jumping back onto his trashcan.

"You're gettin' your memories back. That's good. Only when they all return will you truly be able to pursue your goal."

Kiba nodded, then paused.

"I can't explain this...this nostalgia."He muttered, and the cat nodded.

"They say that the world will end many times in the eyes of mortals, fueled by the hopes of paradise itself that it will one day be opened and filled with life."The cat spoke, and Kiba listened, trying to understand.
"This might not be your first time seekin' something this way, and it might not be the last. I'm damn sure you're the key that girl is looking for. But you gotta hunt down your own needs first."

Kiba nodded, not all understanding, but still smiling. "Thank you..I wish I could repay you.."

The cat chuckled once more. "Don't even think about it. When the time comes, i'll be paid back. Just you wait and see."

The wolf turned away from the tomcat and headed down the alleyway in search of Toboe, the only face he could recognize so far.

Inside, Kiba's stomach still turned, but in a good way. This feeling was going to lead him to the knowledge and understanding he desired.

This nostalgia would be the key to his past.