Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ The Frozen Lunar Flower ❯ A Worthy Guy Won't Make You Cry ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5
Blue closed the door, still smiling, and then sighed and let her smile drop once the door clicked shut and the lock was turned. Miko greeted her happily, purring as he scratched his back against her ankles. She smiled weakly, then bent over and pat Miko on his head.
"Come on, let's get you some dinner," she said, dropping her bag next to the small bench near the door as she began to make her way to the kitchen. Several thoughts crossed her mind as she opened the pantry and took out a can of cat food, although they had nothing to do with the said activity.
Hige didn't hug her. Blue tried shaking the thought from her head. Why didn't he? It didn't make any since, especially since he loved getting hugs. Maybe he just had a bad day. Blue tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear, which fell back in front of her eyes when she leaned over and began to open the can.
But if Hige had a bad day, then the thing he would have wanted most would probably have been a hug, thought Blue. Then again, what if I'm over reacting like my friends tell me I often do? She shook her head as she turned the can over onto a saucer and tapped the cat food onto it. Making a mountain out of a mole hill, like usual. She smiled and set the saucer on the floor and Miko ran to it quickly, the small bell on his collar ringing merrily.
Blue sighed and felt her body relax slightly when she sat down in the big arm chair that was usually for Pops. She felt somewhat bad for lying to Hige about Pops coming home from work early that night. He never came home early and he never got off early anyway, not like he really wanted to. She tucked her legs underneath her and curled up in the chair, letting all her body weight pull herself into it's soft material.
What if I'm not good enough for him? Blue began to think nervously as her body tensed back up again. She shook her head, trying again to get those thoughts out of her mind. Hige was with her because he liked her, so obviously he thought she was good enough. Blue sighed and pressed the palm of her hand against her forhead. All the thinking irritated her. She definately needed to talk to someone other than her cat.
Blue took her cell phone out of her back pocket and scrolled down the address book until she found Nicole's phone number. Nicole had been her best friend for a long time, but lately Blue hadn't spoken to her. I hope she doesn't think I'm a complete pain for calling now that I have a problem, thought Blue, feeling bad for not calling Nicole before now. She heard someone pick up on the other end.
"Hey Blue, what's up?" said Nicole, her voice rather cheerful.
"Hey Nicole. I was just thinking about you, so I thought I'd call and see how you're doing," replied Blue with as cheerful a voice as she could muster.
"Well, it's all going pretty well. Me and Dillan are going out again, so I've been pretty good."
"Wow and this is how many times now?" Blue laughed. Nicole and Dillan had been dating off and on for the past four years that they've known each other.
"You know I've lost track, Blue," laughed Nicole. "Besides, it's your job to keep track of those things since you just naturally remember stuff."
"Only because I don't have my own relationships to keep track of, because there usually are none."
"Not from what I've heard lately. I heard from Amy that you were seeing someone," Nicole said curiously. "You're not dating Mark again, are you? He was a total jerk."
"Yeah, I knew that, Nicole. That's why it didn't last, remember? After you guys got through with him there wasn't much left to dump," said Blue with an obvious smile in her voice.
"Well, he did cheat on you, so he had it coming. But he's not worth talking about much. Tell me about this new guy."
Well," sighed Blue. "I met him at the park one night when I snuck out, and that was almost two months ago. He's pretty cute, tall, and he's really nice."
"So you've been together that whole time?" asked Nicole. "And you didn't tell me?"
"Well, he never officially asked me out, it just kind of developed I guess. A lot has been going on lately."
"Yeah, I thought so," said Nicole. "You sound somewhat stressed out, so tell me what's wrong."
Blue sighed. Nicole is such a good friend to me, even if we don't talk much, she thought sadly. She knows exactly how I am. "Well, he's a bit older than me, for one."
"Older isn't bad. Guys with more experience are nice to have sometimes, you know."
"That's not the problem." Blue sighed. "I don't know how to say this without it sounding bad. Well, I guess you could say that there were a lot of girls before me."
"So I'm guessing this guy got around quite a bit?" remarked Nicole. Her voice suddenly sounded somewhat bitter.
"Well, not like that, but he's just had a lot of girlfriends, that's all." Blue waited for Nicole to respond, but she was silent, so she continued. "I know he must have run into an ex lately or something. He was acting really weird today."
"I'm sure nothing happened," said Nicole, trying to be comforting. "At least I hope not."
"Me too, Nicole. But lately I've been wondering if I'm not good enough for him or if he's just playing with my emotions." Blue felt her eyes begin to sting at the thought. "I keep telling myself that it's really stupid that he would want someone else because why would he be with me if that were the case, but I'm so afraid that I'll get hurt again, Nicole."
"Look Blue," sighed Nicole. "No guy is worth crying over and one that is won't make you cry. You should just ask him what's up and if there is anything you can do to help him feel better."
"Yeah I know that's what I should do," sighed Blue. She wrapped one of her arms around her knees. "I'm just afraid I'm over reacting, like usual. The last time I asked a guy about something that worried me, well, he dumped me a few days later. And there was absolutely nothing to worry about either!"
"You were younger then, that guy was your first real boyfriend and you just weren't sure what to do. If this guy you're with now is as great as I've heard he is, then you should have nothing to worry about."
Blue nodded. "I supposed you're right about that."
"Of course I'm right," Nicole said confidently. "I'm really sorry that I have to cut this chat short, but I really have to go. Mom needs help with the new baby again."
"Alright, I'll talk to you later."
"Let's hang out sometime, Blue," said Nicole seriously. "I miss hanging out with you. I'll try to call you tomorrow."
"Okay, bye," replied Blue as she flipped her phone shut, closing her eyes tight as she tucked the phone back into her pocket. It was nice to talk to Nicole again, but for some reason it just made her feel worse when she thought of all the confidence Nicole had when it came to guys. Blue just was never sure how to act at all, not to mention guys always seemed to prefer has 'just a friend'.
She stretched out her legs and stood up, then began to make her way to her bedroom. Everything looked so comforting the night before, but now she just wanted to sink into the floor. Blue quickly changed into her pajamas, avoiding looking at the full length mirror that hung on the back of her door as much as possible. The last thing she wanted to be reminded of was how imperfect her body was, and that was the only thing she actually had some control over as a teenager.
Blue yawned and pulled back some of the covers on her bed and snuggled under them. She closed her eyes and tried to sleep, but she couldn't. All she could picture in her mind were things going wrong with Hige, with school, with life in general. She felt a small, furry body snuggle up next to her.
"What am I going to do about this, Miko?" she sighed, scratching her cat behind the ears. She could barely see the outline of his small body in the dark. "It seems like I'm always worrying that things won't work out, but I worry so much when it seems like they will, too. I guess I'm pretty screwed up in the head, aren't I?"
Miko just continued to purr and stretched out even more, his tail flicking back and forth. Well, thought Blue, this is going to be a long night.