Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ The Frozen Lunar Flower ❯ Winter Dreams ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6
Wolves stood on a flat ground, surrounded by mountains. The ground was frozen solid and white as the snow on the surrounding mountain tops. There were three wolves and a pretty girl with purplish hair, while one other darker wolf stood above the rest. Him just being there cast an eerie chill around everyone. For some reason, it was all silence, but then the larger black wolf began to snarl as he attacked the white wolf. It was a massive mess of fighting and blood. The larger brown wolf was soon thrown, blood splattered as he skidded across the ground. Then the larger dark wolf pressed a paw forcefully on the smaller, bluish black one, who let out a painful yelp. Soon there was blood everywhere, then suddenly the vision began to get hazy and dull. Everything became warm and cold at the same time, numb and extremely painful.
Blue sat up quickly, her face and entire body covered in sweat. The darkness of her room pressed around her eyes, while the numbers on the clock brightly blinked 2:13. She pushed her covers off and clumsily made her way to the bathroom and turned on the switch. The bright light burned her eyes as she examined herself in the mirror. Her blue eyes were bright, but filled with terror, her hair was a mess and her skin was all clammy and uncomfortable. She shook her head and turned off the light, then began to make her way to the kitchen yet again, but just for a glass of ice water.
As she walked down the hallway, the full moon outside the window caught her eye. It was a strange colour, almost blue or grey, and there wasn't a single cloud in the sky. Blue pushed back the sheer curtains and pressed her hand against the glass. It had been so long since she'd looked or thought about the moon, but now she had that familiar feeling inside her again. It was so warm and comforting.
Blue yawned and opened the hallway closet, then pulled out a coat that came down to her knees and a pair of boots. She grabbed her house key off the ring by the door and stepped outside, being careful not to make too much noise in case someone was home. The weather outside was not as cold as it had been, but there were still traces of snow on the ground, which crunched under Blue's boots when she walked over them. It was weird walking outside late at night without proper clothing on, even if she was wearing a largejacket over her shorts and tank top.
She sighed, her breath like mist in the cold air, and stuck her hands into her jacket pockets, then began to feel the blood run back into her fingers. Things were so calm at night, especially when winter was just starting to end. Blue continued walking with her face held down, looking at the concrete as she went. When she looked up, she was at the park. Her feet had seemed to have just taken her there. But this time, the park wasn't empty. Hige sat alone on the swings, moving slowly back and forth. Blue remained silent and walked towards the swings, then sat down on the empty one next to Hige.
"Hey," she said quietly.
"Hey," Hige replied. It sounded like he was pondering something.
"How was your day?" Blue asked softly, attempting to make conversation. Hige just shrugged while Blue looked down at her lap and didn't say another word. It's as if something awkward has happened, thought Blue as she clumsily dragged the toes of her boots on the ground. Why are things going this way?
"Is there anything different going on?" asked Hige. Blue shook her head and looked away.
There must be something she's not saying, Hige thought. I wish I knew what to say.
He's being so quiet, I wonder what it is he isn't telling me. Maybe I should just...
If I told her what happened with Christine, reasoned Hige, then maybe we could...
...Just talk again, like we used to when we met two months ago. Blue tightened her hands on the chains of the swing, still unsure what to do. "Hige," she sighed. "I've been wanting to talk to you about something important."
Hige looked up, his expression entirely unreadable. "I've been meaning to tell you something too." He tried to ignore the anxious feeling in his stomach. What could she want to talk to me about? What if this means...
Are things over between us? Blue asked herself.
"Why don't you go first?" suggested Hige.
"Alright," said Blue. "I just, I don't know how to say this and not have it sound bad." Hige nodded and braced himself. "Hige," whispered Blue. "I'm scared."
"Of what?" asked Hige, somewhat surprised and relieved that this wasn't the end of their relationship. Not yet anyways.
"Why are you still with me?"
"What do you mean, Blue?"
"I mean exactly what I said," Blue replied seriously. "Why are you still seeing me?"
Hige felt as if his mouth had been glued shut. What do I tell her? he thought. Do I tell her I love her? I don't what to be wrong if I say that, either. "Well, I really care about you, Blue," he said. "I care about you a lot."
Blue looked down at her lap. "I'm scared you'll hurt me, Hige," she whispered. "I've been hurt so much, things never work out, and I don't want that to happen with you." I love you too much, and I don't even know why, she thought. But it's not like I can even tell you that.
"I do have something I need to tell you," Hige sighed. "I'm just not sure how to begin. I just ran into someone I knew today, and it shook me up a little."
"It was a girl. It was a girl, wasn't it, Hige?"
Hige looked away. "Yeah, it was. But nothing happened."
"Well, that's good, I guess," replied Blue. Ha! she thought. I knew he saw a girl! Well, I guess things couldn't last forever, could they?
"Yeah," said Hige. "Although, she had every intention of getting back together with me." I guess I could leave out the fact that shekissed me.
"Are you sure you don't want to be with her?" Hige looked up, surprised. "I mean, she's probably more your age, isn't she?"
"What the hell are you talking about, Blue?" asked Hige sharply. Blue said nothing and just sunk a little bit lower in the swing. "And don't say it's nothing because I know that's total bullshit."
"It's like I already said, Hige," said Blue. Her voice had gotten stronger and more confident. "I'm afraid I'm just another girlfriend to you, and I just don't understand why you're with someone like me, who isn't even out of school yet and can't support herself even if she wanted to." Blue looked up at Hige, trying so hard not to cry. Just keep your face strong, she told herself. Don't let him see you cry.
"You're not just another girlfriend, Blue. And I don't even know where you got that idea!" Blue said nothing and looked back down, as if ashamed. What the hell is she thinking? Hige shouted internally. Where did she get the idea that I didn't care about her?
"I don't even know where I got it either," whispered Blue. "I was just worried I guess." She felt one of her eyes begin to tear up, so she looked towards the moon, hoping Hige wouldn't notice.
Hige felt his insides get all warm. He just wanted to make whatever was hurting Blue go away, but he didn't know how to do that, or even what was bothering her. "You don't have to be worried, Blue," sighed Hige. He stood up and put his hands in the pockets of his jeans. "I don't want to be with anyone else."
Blue nodded, wiped her sleeve against her cheek and stood up next to Hige. She fidgeted uncomfortably, her hands clasped in front of her. "I'm sorry for being such an idiot."
Hige shook his head and took one of her hands in his. "You weren't being an idiot, Blue. I don't know anything about your past experiences with guys, since we've never really talked about it." Blue opened her mouth to speak but Hige spoke first. "And don't even try saying it's your fault." Blue pressed her lips together. "I never even asked, which was probably stupid of me. I mean, I'm supposed to know about you, right?"
Blue nodded slightly. "I should have said something, though." She looked at Hige's eyes for a few seconds, to show she was sincere, but then her mind just got distracted. Why I haven't I noticed how calming his eyes are before now? They're so warm...almost like honey with a little bit of red in them.
"I don't think we're ever going to come to an agreement on that," said Hige with a slight laugh. "It seems like we just keep going in circles." Hige began to rub the top of her hand with his thumb rather slowly in a soothing circular motion. "But still, you mean the world to me, Blue. I mean, I love you."
Blue felt the strangest feeling in her face. It was as if all the blood rushed out and then back in at almost the same time. "Are you serious, Hige?" she stammered. Blue felt her cheeks growing even pinker by the second as she looked Hige in the eyes.
Hige nodded then winked. "Dead serious, I'm afraid. I wouldn't say it otherwise." He cupped Blue's face in his hands and kissed her deeply. Blue felt warm all over as she tried not to focus on Hige. This was the first time she ever wanted someone so much that their kiss just wasn't enough. Not matter how close she got to him, she just wanted him more and more.
When they finally came up for air, Blue wrapped her arms around Hige and leaned against him. "I love you too," she whispered.