X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ Not Over Yet ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2

“...K-Kamui?” The reflection turned to Fuuma, smiled and nodded. In an echoing voice he replied,

“It’s been a while, ne ne....Fuuma?”

Fuuma could only stare at Kamui. Kamui, who was surround by all those flying golden particles and wearing the same school uniform as he had in the last moments of his young life. Seconds that seemed like eons of uncomfortable silence passed between the boys as Fuuma continued to stare at Kamui in disbelief. Then the rational part of his brain began to consume any hopeful thoughts the older teen may have been having.

‘No way. This...this can't be. Impossible. I must be still dreaming or something. It’s too much. Kamui is dead! Dead! I should know. I....I was the one....who killed him! Kamui can’t be here talking to me…through my bathroom mirror for Pete's sake! I must finally be losing my mind....”

Kamui tilted his head cutely and frowned at Fuuma’s reaction, although he expected no less.

“Fuuma, are you ok?”

“...but..…How?” Fuuma barely managed to choke out when he finally managed to locate his voice.

“Aah. Well,...um...it’s a bit complicated, so…uhh w-why don’t you take a seat or something. I know this...situation may be strange but this is for real. I swear it is!” Kamui was blushing faintly; the look Fuuma was giving him was unnerving and he began to wonder if it was a mistake to be here now. However to Fuuma, this was a godsend; a godsend or some awfully cruel torture his sick mind had cooked up. Whichever it was though, he still could not take his eyes off the figure that plagued his heart and soul or even blink, deathly afriad that Kamui would disappear just as quickly as he had appeared. Kamui seemed to notice this.

"Fuuma, it's okay. Trust me I'm not going anywhere. Not until I tell you what I need to." Fuuma nodded dumbly and allowed himself to blink, relieved to see that Kamui remained there and warily made his way to the toilet seat and turned to face the mirror once he had sat down. Kamui smiled softly.

“ There. You ok now Fuuma?”

“N-no," Fuuma responded timidly, "but...continue I guess.”

“Alright.” Kamui looked down at Fuuma, smiling sadly when he noticed how tired and spent he looked before he spoke up, “ I know you haven’t been sleeping well. I’m sorry for that. Maybe you can rest a tad easier after I tell you why I’m here." Making sure Fuuma was paying attention, he continued," ...Let’s see...I suppose it all starts when...well," Kamui hesistated, "...um...do you remember when...well I mean...uhm...how...you...er...”

“When I killed you?” Fuuma whispered, a tired sense of anguish laced within his voice. Kamui frowned a bit, hating to see his former best friend like this but nodded, turning his head down.

“I’m...I'm sorry to bring that up, but yes. But see, when that happened, obviously I was able to bring you back and stop the Dragon of Earth that lived Within you. In that way, I sorta saved the world but...it would seem that the Dragon of Earth isn’t gone yet," Before Fuuma could start asking questions, Kamui asked one of his own, "Do you remember when I told you that I would remain in your heart?” Fuuma replied in the affirmative, trying to comprehend all of what Kamui was saying while trying to hold back the tears that were longing to be shed. Kamui noticed this and quickly repsonded, “ Yes well, that’s more true than you think because that’s kinda where I am. Within you Fuuma, trying to defeat the Dragon of Earth who still lives.” Fuuma looked at Kamui a tad confused.

“...Within?” Kamui then began to explain what it meant to go Within someone, and his first experience with it after Kotori's death.

“-and so...I realized that I had the power to do this at the very last minute and took the opportunity I had. This was the only way I could find to try and save the world and you. I was never going to even try to hurt you, Fuuma. I just couldn't. In this way, I could protect you.” Fuuma could not stop the tears then and a few rolled down his cheeks, truly touched by what Kamui had done for him...and yet almost frustrated, because that was exactly what Fuuma had wanted to do for him. Seeing his dear friend in tears brought some to Kamui's own eyes as he whispered.

"Please don't cry Fuuma. It's alright, really. I didn't tell you this to make you cry. I wanted to tell you so you knew. There may be hope Fuuma. This...is not over yet." Managing to recompose himself after a while, Fuuma could only reply with a curious,

“So...you’re still fighting?” A nod.

“ Yeah, but I’m beginning to realize my powers as the “Kamui”, so I’m able to keep the Dark Kamui at bay for now.”

“Can you defeat him?” Kamui looked down.

“I...don’t really know. He’s still kind of out of it because of when I brought you back and forced him out. But I don’t know if I can kill him, or if it's possible....or even if I should.” The younger teen let out a sigh of frustration.

“Oh.....i-is there anything...that I can do to help you?” Kamui looked back up at Fuuma and gave him a slight smile when he noted the almost eager tone Fuuma held in his low voice.

“Just....live....live for me Fuuma. I need you to do so now more than ever.” Fuuma gave a tired smile then a nod.

“Of course.... Kamui." He let out a shaky sigh, feeling more tears sting his eyes before he blurted out in a heartwrenching whisper, "I miss you Kamui...I miss you so much.” Fuuma shut his eyes tightly and looked to the floor as the tears continued to spill, not really wanting Kamui to see him like this, but was unable to handle all of the emotion Kamui's presence alone stirred from him.

“I know Fuuma, I know. I miss you too. I'd give anything to be with you right there....right now,” Kamui said, bringing up his hand to place it on the glass that he faced wherever he was, as if to reach out to Fuuma, crystalline tears making dripping from his own amethyst eyes. Fuuma's head shot up hearing this, and seeing what Kamui was doing, instantly stood up and walked up to the mirror, returning the gesture. The slight warmth that radiated from where their hands met, save for the layer of glass in between them brought a smile to both of the boy's lips. They let thier tears fall, savoring this moment like no other, and while the minutes that ticked away were silent, there was more than enough feeling and emotion that passed between thier eyes that made up for it.

“How are you able to be...here...like this?” Fuuma asked quietly after a while. Kamui blinked then smiled a bit wider before he answered.

“Oh, well it’s hard to explain really. Just another quirk of being the “Kamui” I guess. Heh...”

“Hmm...I see.” Fuuma wasn’t all that interested in how Kamui was able to be here, just as long as he was. He just stared dreamily at him, listening to his sweet voice, and enjoying the slight warmth. Kamui stared back just as dreamily, happy he finally was able to see and talk to Fuuma again. It had been lonely for Kamui too. Traveling along the mysterious planes that made up Fuuma’s subconscious, enduring the cruel taunts and fights with the other “Kamui”. Speaking of which, he could suddenly feel a power slowly increasing within Fuuma and realized the Dragon of Earth was beginning to wake. He closed his eyes and spoke sadly,

“I’m afraid I can’t stay any longer. I have to go now.” Fuuma panicked.

“W-wait! Will I be able to see you again?”

“Of course Fuuma. I’ll contact you as soon as I can ok?”

“A-Alright.” They looked at each other and smiled one more time.

“Try and get some sleep Fuuma. You need your rest. We'll talk again soon, I promise. Goodnight.” Kamui said as his form quickly began to fade.

“Goodnight Kamui.” Fuuma whispered as he watched him go, willing himself to not spill anymore tears. Letting out one last heavy sigh and drying his eyes, he started walking back to his bed and collapsed on it out of exhaustion. He fell into slumber going with something he had not felt in ages, hope.


Meanwhile…back Within Fuuma…

Kamui was transported back to a familiar place. The atmosphere was complete darkness but the “ground” was flowing water. Miscellaneous debris randomly floated everywhere. Sitting on a large piece of stone floor was the Dragon of Earth. He still looked exactly like Fuuma, and this pained Kamui sometimes, especially when he was taunted like his was. The Dragon of Earth gave Kamui a cold glare as he slowly tried to break more and more out of the invisible bindings Kamui had placed on him.

“Hn. So you went and talked to him eh? So how is he doing?” The Dragon teased.

“Tch…like you would care.” Before more words were spoken Kamui gathered what remaining energy he had and re-enforced the Dragon’s bindings, leaving the Dragon back at square one. The Angel let out a groan of frustration. Kamui figured the bindings would last a few hours, giving him time for a quick nap to regain some of his powers. Visiting Fuuma turned out to use up a lot more than he expected. He planted himself on the stone floor and lay back trying to get comfortable.

“Do you really think it's wise to go to sleep with me sitting right here? I would think you were smarter than that. Especially after all we've been through. You lying there all innocent and defenseless will only give me...” the Dragon licked his lips with a naughty smirk, "..ideas.." Kamui gasped, blushed, and promptly relocated himself to a new piece of debris that was farther away, retorting shakily,

“W-what?! It’s not as if you can...can escape! J-just shut up and leave me alone!” The Angel only chuckled.

“Aah...if you say so. So you’re just going to let your precious Fuuma-kun suffer while you take a nice little nap huh?”

“ I am NOT letting him suffer! I’m protecting him! I just...!" Kamui sighed flustered and curled up into a little ball, saying more to himself than anyone, feeling utterly helpless" I just don’t know what I should do...” The Angel, of course, heard him anyway.

“Hm...of course you don’t. But do remember, the more time we spend here fighting, the more nightmares your Fuuma will have until he eventually drives himself crazy. You MUST have seen the strain they've had on his emotions. I fear to think what would happen if they got worse...and neither of us are even at our full potential yet. I think you'd better figure out something quick.” Kamui’s expression darkened and looked up to give another death glare to the Dragon of Earth. But it later turned into a dark smile, for intimidation more than anything.

“heh...yeah…I guess I should…”