X-men Evolution Fan Fiction ❯ Starting Today ❯ Chapter 19

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

O-o-o-o-O
Rogue spun on one leg, her foot connecting solidly with the life size punching bag in the weight room, sending it forcefully in the opposite direction. Bjork's “Army of Me” was cranked on the stereo, fitting her mood perfectly. She felt like an army. Ever since her little “incident” two weeks ago, she was finally free to show off her new abilities in the Danger Room, and it felt great. She felt great. If there was one good thing about her mutation, it was the ability to use the powers she had taken from others. She literally had an arsenal in her head.
She had been a little ashamed at first, admitting to the others what she could do. After all, she HAD stolen these powers from her friends and enemies. But at the Professor's urging she had sat down and talked to everyone, explained what was happening, and basically asked their blessing to use “their” powers. Contrary to what she feared, her friends didn't begrudge her the use of their stolen powers. In fact, she was surprised and grateful when each of them congratulated her on the evolution of her mutation. She was happy that her friends didn't resent her for being able to keep what she had taken from them. As far as her enemies went, she didn't care what they thought. And if she could use their own powers against them, all the better.
She finally felt like she was an asset to the team instead of a liability. Rogue had always been able to hold her own in the Danger Room, but there were some situations when hand to hand combat just wasn't enough, and she was happy to finally be able to keep up with the others in any situation. It tired her out to use too many abilities at once, but she thought it was worth it. She had even managed to have some fun with it, chasing after her brother with his own teleportation powers, wielding a bottle of Nair and laughing evilly. She hadn't managed to completely de-hair him, but he was currently sporting a hat and wouldn't be wearing shorts for a while.
Rogue had to admit that gaining a brother was one of the best things that had ever happened to her. She and Kurt had been friends before, but discovering the family relationship they had, even if it wasn't by blood, had drawn them closer together. During her time in the med lab they had had several long discussions where Kurt had talked about what he had felt when he discovered that Mystique was his mother, and she had opened up enough to him to cry in his arms when she couldn't keep back the tears over Mystique/Risty's betrayal any longer.
Though she felt better after the release, it didn't alleviate the growing need she had to talk to the woman who had betrayed her, the woman that was supposed to be her mother. Her anger had not faded over what Mystique had done to both her and Kurt. The shape-shifter had a lot of explaining to do. Despite days of searching though, Logan had returned to the mansion unable to find Mystique. Rogue wasn't too sorry though. Since his return Logan had seemed to make it his mission to train Rogue in the use of her collected powers and make sure she grew as comfortable using them as their original owners were. He even offered to let her absorb him, in order to gain the use of his healing factor, but she refused. Despite having everyone's blessing to use their powers, she still didn't want to hurt her friends deliberately.
Out of everyone though, her biggest support throughout this time was Remy. He wasn't able to visit as often as either of them would like, due to the difficulties of getting in and out of the mansion unnoticed, but when he was there he was her sounding board for every crazy or bitter thought that came out of her head. He held her close when the tears threatened and taught her card tricks when she was driven insane with the boredom of being trapped in the med lab. Now that she was released she hadn't seen him for several days, not even at school, but he had managed to leave a note in her locker today apologizing for his absence (errands for Buckethead), and asking her to dinner tonight. She was excited of course; she had missed seeing her swamp rat and other than school, hadn't been out of the mansion at all.
Rogue finished up her workout and headed for the showers to clean up. She had given the excuse of going to the movies by herself tonight to explain her absence, so she couldn't dress too nicely, but she had the feeling that Remy would be happy to see her no matter what she wore.
O-o-o-o-O
Remy stood chopping vegetables in his kitchen, humming a tune under his breath. He was glad he had gotten this apartment shortly after joining Mags and moving to Bayville; the other Acolytes didn't know where it was and it gave him a sanctuary for when Magneo and the others got to be too much. It also gave him a place to bring a beautiful femme back to when he had had a successful date. At least in the past it had. His bed here has had no occupant other than himself in months. There was never a lack of willing women, but he didn't want anyone else sharing that bed with him now except his belle chere. He didn't think that would happen any time soon due to her mutation, but even if he could just hold her he'd be satisfied. It told him what a long way he'd come that he'd even think such a thing. Months ago he would be anything but satisfied just holding a girl. Now it made for some of his sweetest moments. The thief of hearts has had his stolen. Who would have thought. He didn't mind though as he had gained a heart in return. And what a sweet one it is.
He added the chopped vegetables to the pot and stirred the work in progress. mmmmm...jambalaya, the way to any good Southern woman's heart. Remy was hoping to sweeten her up tonight in the hopes of softening what he was going to tell her. He was going to share his past with her tonight; something that may or may not drive her from him. He needed to find out if she could accept him completely before he committed himself to defecting from the Acolytes. Once he started on this path he couldn't turn back, and he had to be sure he had a solid anchor on the other side, something to hold onto, to make this worthwhile. He told himself that Rogue loved him, she would accept him no matter what; but there was always the tiniest voice of doubt that questioned whether she could really love someone who had done the things he had done. If she could, then nothing would stop him from making this happen.
The sound of the doorbell interrupted his thoughts. Setting the jambalaya to simmer, he went through the living room and opened the door. His Rogue stood on the other side, looking beautiful as always, the burgundy scarf he had given her wrapped around her neck. Closing the door behind her, he got a nice view of her walking past him, her figure setting his pulse racing as much as it ever had.
Jambalaya for dinner, Rogue for dessert?
O-o-o-o-O
Rogue had found the address he had given her with no problem, and stepping inside now she found herself pleased. Remy's apartment was simply furnished, and relatively neat for being a bachelor pad. Black and metallic grey were the primary colors of the furniture, with a few green throw pillows on the couch adding some color. A couple of framed posters showing New Orleans and New York at night graced the walls, and an open wooden cabinet against one wall showed a very respectable entertainment center. The scent of sausage, shrimp and spices drifted enticingly from the kitchen, and she followed her nose and Remy in that direction.
“Something smells good Remy, whatcha making?”
Remy kissed the side of her head through her hair and smiled. “Jambalaya; we're celebrating your release from that infirmary of yours.”
“Oh we are, eh?”
He chuckled. “Chere, you haven't been absorbing any Canadians lately, have you?”
“Well, I have been training a lot with Wolverine, maybe he's rubbing off on me.”
He looked over at her with a mock glare. “Better not be anybody rubbing off on my girl, less it's me of course.”
“Heh, you wish Swamp Rat.”
Remy gave her a suggestive smirk. “That I do, that I do.”
Rogue grinned and shook her head in semi-exasperation. “I don't know what to do with you, Remy.”
“I could start a list if you want.”
She laughed and smacked his arm. “Keep your perverted thoughts to yourself, please. Now, is there anything I can do to help you here?”
“Well the jambalaya just needs a little while longer to simmer but you can start the rice if you want.” He showed her where the rice and cooking utensils were and she got that cooking while he put together a salad.
Dinner was delicious. The jambalaya and rice came out just right, nice and spicy, and there was plenty of sweet tea to drink with it. Rogue had missed genuine Southern cooking; the others complained that her turns in the kitchen always came out too spicy so she had to tone her recipes down for them. The only other people who could handle her cooking were Sam and Logan, so it was nice to have someone else who liked things as hot as she did. After dinner Rogue shooed Remy out of the kitchen and insisted on doing the dished, which luckily for her just consisted of loading the dishwasher (Remy as it turns out, loves to cook but hates doing dishes).
She came out into the living room to find Massive Attack playing softly on the stereo and Remy leaning back on the couch, waiting for her. He beckoned to her and she sat down next to him; snuggling into his shoulder as he put an arm around her.
“Thank you for dinner Remy, everything was delicious.”
“Glad you liked it.” He smiled and they laid back for a little while, relaxing. Rogue's head comfortable against him. She felt she'd be perfectly happy never moving again.
Remy spoke quietly. “Rogue, I think we've grown close enough that I should tell you some things about myself. You need to know what kind of person you're getting involved with. I haven't had a pleasant past; I've done some things I'm not proud of, but I need to know if you can be with me despite them. I don't want to keep things from you; you've had enough people lie to you in your life and I don't want to be one of them.”
Rogue looked at him seriously. “Whatever it is Remy, I don't think it could change how I feel about you, but tell me.” She stroked a gloved hand down his cheek and he leaned into it, kissing the palm.
“Thank you Chere, I certainly hope so.” He sighed and continued, taking the hand on his face into his own and holding it.
“As I told you once before, I was adopted by a man for whom thieving was a family business. What I didn't tell you was that his name is Jean-Luc LeBeau, head of the New Orleans Thieves Guild. He taught me everything he knew and I became an expert; he said I was one of the best thieves he'd ever seen.
The Thieves Guild has had a long-standing rivalry with the Assassins Guild. No one remembers why, but the two guilds have hated each other for centuries. My pere wanted to stop the killing that this feud was causing so he got together with the head of the Assassins. To create peace they decided to marry me off to the daughter of the head Assassin, Belladonna. The agreement was made when we were both kids. I liked Bella plenty; we grew up knowing each other and started dating when we were older. We cared a lot about each other but decided eventually that we just weren't meant to marry. Besides, Bella had started to fall in love with my cousin Emil. You'd like him; he's a lot like your brother. I didn't mind because I thought she and Emil made a better couple than she and I did. So we figured we'd tell our families that we wanted to break the engagement. It would be okay though because then Bella would marry Emil and the Guilds could still have peace.
Bella had a brother though, named Julien. He was a crazy bastard though, didn't like me one bit. Didn't think any thief was good enough for his sister, especially one that was a mutant. Bella and I were to meet one night to discuss how we were going to break the news about our engagement to our families, when Julien showed up. The fool had somehow gotten it into his head that we were going to elope and he said he'd see me dead first. I tried to stop him but he refused to back down; he got me into a fight. Came at me with a knife and I tried to grab it out of his hand. I was so angry that I didn't even notice that I had charged the knife. When the smoke cleared from the explosion, I had a concussion and Julien was dead. Bella went crazy; she said she'd kill me for murdering her brother. I barely made it out of there alive.
When Bella's father found out what happened he swore that no daughter of his would ever marry a thief. So the Guilds were left without peace, Bella was left with no brother and no husband, and I was banished by my family for destroying the peace.
That was about three years ago. I was left without a home or family and thieving was the only business I knew so I started doing freelance work. I stole anything for whoever would pay my price, and I didn't come cheap. Weapons, drugs, jewels, whatever my clients wanted. I never asked what the objects I stole would be used for, and frankly didn't care. I'm quite sure that innocent people were killed or hurt by what I took for my clients, but at the time the only thing I could care about was building a reputation and having money. I wanted to be self-sufficient, to never have to depend on any family or person ever again. And I got there. It was blood money, but I got there.”
Remy bit his lip. “Those weren't the only things I stole, Chere. They don't call me King of Hearts for nothing. I've played with the ladies, and broken many hearts. Then I saw the most beautiful girl on a battlefield. I've wanted you since I first saw you Rogue; but the fact that I couldn't touch you gave me the chance to know you. My heart isn't mine now, and I don't want to play anymore. I don't think I can play again.”
He squeezed her hand gently and looked at her. “What I need to know now is, can you accept me with all the bloodstains on my soul? If you can, I don't know what I can offer you or what the future will hold for us, but I'll do anything and everything to make sure we stay together.”
Rogue looked at him for a minute or two, processing all that she'd just been told. Some of the nastier voices in her head told her to run; that he'd been a player before and was still playing with her now, but her heart spoke otherwise. She didn't think he could be as open with her as he was if he was just playing. She took the scarf from around her neck, held it up to his face and kissed him softly through it. Bringing it back down she wrapped her arms around him and held him close, whispering in his ear. “Je t'aime Remy. If you can love the daughter of a shape-shifting terrorist, and one who can't touch to boot, then I can love you.”
Remy seemed to be in shock for a second before hugging her tightly, pressing kisses to her hair. “Merci Chere, merci”, he murmured. “I promise, I'll make sure you never regret this.”
They stayed in each other's arms for a while, enjoying the closeness, until Remy released her and stood up, offering her his hand. “Dance with me?”
Rogue smiled and joined him in the middle of the living room, swaying softly in his arms to the music that continued to play. They stayed like that through several songs, occasionally exchanging long heated kisses through her scarf. Remy finally drew her closer than before and spoke softly.
Chere, I want you more than I've wanted anyone or anything in my life. I know you don't think that we can be together physically, but let me show that we can. Let me love you tonight.”
O-o-o-o-O
The mansion was quiet. Jean and Scott were out to dinner, the New Recruits were out together at an underage club, and after several days of coaxing by Rogue, Kurt was out with Kitty on their first date. Logan was relaxing on the couch with a beer and a hockey game when the solitude was interrupted by the sound of the doorbell.
Professor Xavier looked up from the chess game he was playing with Dr. McCoy. “Could you answer the door please Logan? And try not to attack our guest.”
Logan got up and went to the front entryway grumbling under his breath, annoyed at having his peaceful evening interrupted. He opened the door and growled; Mystique stood in the doorway in her natural form.
“I want to see my daughter. Now.”