X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ "Candy" ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Logan couldn't help a small smile and then said, “Alright, now calm down. Let's wash your face and then we're gonna head on out of here.” As he said this to her, he set her on her feet, and then turned her to the sink.
 
Candice looked at herself in the mirror, the pink tank top she was wearing looked old and grungy. Her face was red and wet. Logan reached over her and turned the faucet on. Candice took a deep breath and then ran her hands under the cool water, she began to splash her face. After a few times she turned the water off and grabbed a paper towel from the dispenser.
 
Logan in the meantime was pulling cash from his wallet, he placed the money between his fingers and then slipped his wallet back into his pocket.
 
He knelt down in front of Candice and watched her for a few moments.
 
“Now that yer calm I wanna run something pass ya. When we go out there I want you to apologize to Storm, you talked real mean to her when all she was doin was tryin to help ya, understand? Oh, and no more foul language, there gonna be problems, if ya cant curb that mouth uh yours.” He said trying to watch the harshness in his tone. He didn't want to scare the girl, just make a point that it was wrong.
 
“Who's Storm?” Candice asked
 
Logan snorted, “Sorry kid, the woman you met out side, she also goes by storm, but we'll explain that later” He said.
 
“Oh” she said. As she pulled her tank top down to straighten it.
 
The door swung open and a man walked in, when he saw the man and the girl, he paused and just looked between them.
 
“We were just leaving.” Logan said as he gently pushed Candice out the door and followed her himself.
 
Candice walked slowly her long skinny arm was wrapped around her waist, and her other hand was rubbing her eye.
 
Logan walked swiftly around her and went to the table.
 
Storm looked up at Logan, with a look that was asking, `what did you do?'
 
Logan twitched his eye-brows and looked at the twins in front of him, “You boy's finished?”
 
“Where's my sister?” Cameron demanded angrily.
 
“Chill out little man, she's right over there.” Logan growled.
 
Cameron turned around and saw his sister standing over by a spin- chair that was built in at the counter. He quickly climbed out of the booth and ran over to her.
 
Logan watched the kids and then looked back down at Collin.
 
“You finished, kid?” Logan asked looking at him.
 
Collin shook his head, he looked the man over. He was really big and muscular, a lot bigger than his uncle and their dad even. He had a deep five-o-clock shadow and a unique haircut. He would seem intimidating to any child, Collin thought.
 
Collin nodded his head and then scooted to get out of the booth.
 
“If you boy's need to go to the bathroom you'd better go ahead now.” Storm said as she stood up and grabbed her coat.
 
“I don't have to.” Collin said lowly
 
“Why don't you go ask your brother and sister, if they need to?” Storm said with a small smile.
 
Collin liked this woman she seemed really nice, but then again all he had to compare her to was his aunt. He gave a small smile back to her and then walked over to his siblings.
 
Logan tossed the cash on the table and that's when Storm started to question him, “Logan, what happened back there?” Storm asked putting a hand on his forearm to get his attention.
 
“Nothin, I took the kid back there with the intention of givin the kid a few good pops, but she broke down on me. Turns out someone's been givin the kid some very much unwanted attention.” Logan answered.
 
Storm, looked confused, and almost like she was thinking about it. “What are you talking about, Logan. How can you tell?” Storm asked as she took a glimpse over at the girl.
 
“Believe me Storm, I know. You want more stone based proof wait till we let the proff look at her. But I tell you this, when that kid got hit she didn't flinch, I take her to the back and she goes ballistic” Logan turned his glare over to the kids. Only God knew what they had been through.
 
“Anyhow, she agreed to go with us. It's her choice. Told her she had the chance to come with us or go back to her aunt, plain and simple.” He said.
 
“Great, well the boys don't seem to be too concerned about going to New York. They must have been passed around quite a bit.” Storm said
 
“So what's the run-down here, Ro?” Logan asked
 
“Well” Storm sighed “ I vote we get them cleaned up, new clothes, hair cuts” she said with a smile as she looked at the boys. “We'll head back to the hotel after that. I'll contact the professor and let him know what are plans are.” Storm said turning back to look at Logan.
 
“Let's get to it then.” Logan said as he turned and started walking towards the kids.
 
“Professor, we have arrived at the Dane residence. We're pulling into the drive. I assume you will be staying linked with us during the interview?” Jean asked kindly.
 
“Indeed, Jean. Resplendent timing Scott.” The Professor responded
 
“Thanks Professor. Professor I have to ask, why are Jean and I here recruiting the kid. I thought you spoke with the girl's father over the phone?” Scott asked timidly.
 
“I have spoken with Mr. Dane, who feels that his daughter is not acceptable to the outside world any longer. From what I have heard she has very little control over her power. Mr. Dane is looking for a solution, I am offering him one. You and Jean are there as examples. You are there to show Mr. Dane what we have to offer, being former students yourselves.” The Professor finished.
 
“Very well Professor.” Scott said as he turned off the car and then pushed open the door.
 
Jean climbed out of the car as-well, and joined Scott at looking at the house. “Well..” Jean said with a smile.
 
“Let's go win over a student.” She said as she walked around the car and took Scott's hand. Scott smiled back at her and they began to walk up the sidewalk.
 
Scott rang the door-bell and then looked at Jean who flashed him a small smile.
 
About a half a minute later, the door opened revealing a man in tight leather pants and a whit button down shirt.
 
“Yeah” he said with a smile.
 
Scott again looked at Jean who stepped up and said with a smile, “ Uh…Hi. My name is Jean and this is my husband Scott Summers, were here on behalf of Charles Xavier…” Jean started.
 
“You're the people from the school..?” the man asked.
 
“We are teachers from Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. We were wondering if we might have a word with a Mr. Dane?” Jean asked kindly with a smile.
 
“That's me” the man said as he stood in the doorway.
 
When Jean realized the man wasn't going to invite them in, she had no choice but to speak up, “Might we come in and speak with you?” she asked.
 
Jean didn't fail to see the look the man gave her, he was staring at her chest and then let his eyes fall down her legs. Jean turned her head slightly and then crossed her right arm across her chest to not only hold Scott's forearm but to protect her upper chest from this man's gaze.
 
“Yeah” the man said lightly as he turned and walked away from the door. Scott looked at Jean and then followed him in, Scott closing the door behind him.
 
Jean followed the man into a rather large living room. The man threw himself in a chair, Jean again smiled and then sat down gently on the couch.
Scott quickly came and sat beside her.
 
“Mr. Dane, we are here not only for Xavier but for your daughter as well. We..” Jean had started.
 
“How does this Xavier even know about my daughter, ya have a fellow jus call you up one day and say he knows about your kids little problems and he has a way to fix it, its kinda creepy.” The man said as he crossed his arms and glared at Scott.
 
Jean didn't know what to say, she couldn't just say `Oh yeah well that's easy, the Professor just wears this little helmet and then out pops a name an address.' Jean tried to think of something.
 
“A friend of your daughter's, is a friend of one of our students.” Scott spoke up trying to get a quick cover.
 
“He speaks, I was beginning to think you were a mute.” The man stated as he gave a nasty look to Scott.
 
“Mr. Dane, your daughter doesn't have a problem, it's a gift. We'd like to help her …” Jean began again.
 
“Can you cure her?” he asked a little harshly
 
“In a sense…we can hel..” Jean said bobbing her head slightly.
 
“That's all I need to hear…how much is the little bitch gonna cost me?” The man asked as he popped a cigarette in his mouth and lit up.
 
Scott's jaw tightened at the way he spoke of his daughter.
 
“Uh, well it's $325, for the first month, and then a lesser amount for the months following, Charles Xavier is a man that doesn't have to worry financially about his school, he is more focused on working with the students, helping them control their gifts.” Jean said.
 
“This school is year round?” the man asked.
 
“The school, does have summers off, and then there is summer school for the students that require more attention with their academics, just like any other school. However most of the children choose to remain at the school through the summer.” Jean answered.
 
“The option is open to parents as well.” Scott said tightly
 
“How soon can you take her?” the man asked as he sucked hard on his cigarette.
 
Scott turned hid head and looked at Jean. Jean didn't have to read his mind to be able to tell that he was getting aggravated
 
“Mr. Dane, may we speak with your daughter.” Jean asked lowly.
 
“Huh, Lorna!!” the man yelled without moving from his seat.
 
Jean jumped slightly when the man shouted. She looked at Scott and then back at the man and smiled.
 
“What?!” came a yell from over the banister.
 
“Get yer ass down here.” He yelled again.
 
“You failed to mention, when you could take her.” Mr. Dane said
“Students are accepted year round, the decision is up to the parents but we do recommend that you don't wait an extensive amount of time, depending upon the child's gifts.” Scott said stone faced.
 
“As soon as possible..” the man said blowing smoke out of his mouth.
 
“What?” a girl standing in the doorway asked.