X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ "Candy" ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scott and Jean both turned to look at her, she was wearing tight dark blue jeans a matching vest and a blue jeaned hat Her hair was not visible due to it being tucked into her hat.
 
“Pack yer shit yer leaving.” Mr. Dane said as he stood up
 
“What?” the girl said her face growing concerned and her hands fell to her sides.
 
“Uh..um.. can we please speak with you Lorna?” Jean asked with a sweet smile
 
Lorna looked from her father to the woman before her and then back to her father.
 
“What do you mean I'm leaving?” she asked a little worriedly and angrily at the same time.
 
“Well if you'd shut up and sit down, these two here can explain it to you.” The man said sending her an evil glare.
 
“Lorna , please. Come sit down and we'll explain everything to you.” Jean said
 
Lorna looked at the woman and then went and sat where her father had been sitting, she slumped back and crossed her skinny arms over her chest.
 
“Lorna, we are here from Xavier's school for gifted children. Were here in hopes that you will decide to come to our school where we can help you with your wonderful gift.” Jean started.
 
“What gift, you think what I can do is a gift. It's terrible, no one can help me. I feel different then other people I look different then other people…”Lorna started to rant.
 
“You appear normal to us.” Scott said
 
Lorna looked at him and then angrily smirked, she then reached up and jerked her hat off. Long green hair fell down the girl's small shoulders, with her hair now viewable it really made her green eyes stand out more.
 
“Your hair is a very beautiful color” Jean said
 
“I look like a freak” she said.
 
She was a very attractive young girl, but Scott could tell that her attitude didn't really match her sweet face.
 
“You don't look like a freak, in fact we have students at our school with visual differences like your own. You are unique and a very gifted young lady.” Jean finished
 
“Lorna we are offering you a chance to learn how to control your power and attend school with kids just like you.” Scott said.
 
“I don't want to go anywhere.” She said with a pout on her face.
 
“Tough shit, cause yer goin.” Mr. Dane said from the doorway.
 
Lorna stood up and looked at her father, “You can't force me to go.” She said angrily
 
“You don't have to go, but yer not staying here. You freak Alexis out. She don't want to be anywhere near you.” Mr. Dane said.
 
“Screw Alexis, I'm your daughter!” she all but shrieked
 
“That's the problem now aint it I can't. Not while yer here, and quit reminding me,I wont claim ya, not till yer fixed. Get upstairs and pack yer shit.”he said as he put his cigarette out in the ash tray on the chest by the door.
 
“Look, we didn't come here to cause a problem, we should probably go and give you two time to talk things over and ….” Jean once again tried to speak out.
 
“There's nothing to discuss” Mr. Dane looked back to Lorna and said, “It's them or the streets Lorna, yer pick.” The man said with venom in his voice.
 
Scott stood up, ready to give Mr. Dane a few harsh words but Jean stood up and took his hand and mentally said to him, `Scott, you have got to calm down. I don't like this whole ordeal anymore than you, but if this is the only way to get Lorna to come with us, then so be it. Besides should she be put out there's nothing but a better life fore her, this is no way for a child to live.' Jean said but was cut off by Lorna.
 
“I'll go, anything to get as far away from you as possible!!” Lorna screamed as she ran out of the room and up the stairs.
 
“Well there you go.” Mr. Dane said as he turned and walked out of the room.
 
Jean looked around the room and then looked at Scott, “Im, gonna step outside, talk to the professor.” She said.
 
“Go ahead, Ill wait here.” Scott said
 
Jean then went and walked out the way she had come, she pulled open the front door and then walked out of the house.
 
*What do you think professor?* Jean asked in her mind
 
* I believe the child's father has no concern for her well-being. The girl seems very distraught, which is to be expected. Do your best to console her Jean, I will inform Hank there will be a new arrival this evening.*
 
*Of course professor* Jean said, she then turned and went back into the house. She walked into the den where she found Scott on the couch and Mr. Dane in the lay- back chair drinking a beer.
 
Jean went and took a seat by Scott and then after a couple moments of silence she asked, “So, is Lorna your only child.”
 
“Yeah, thank god.” He said with a slur
 
“May I ask about her mother?” Jean tried
 
“Slut-bag, got knocked up when Lorna was younger, then took off. Thus leaving me with the problem.” He finished
 
“A child is a wonderful gift.” Jean said a little strongly
 
“You two got kids?” the man asked as he took a swig of his beer.
 
Jean and Scott looked at one another and then Jean answered, “No, no we don't.”
 
“Yeah, then you just keep preachin that shit.” Mr. Dane answered.
 
Scott's jaw tightened, and he had to once again restrain his tongue from saying something he would regret.
 
All of a sudden they saw a duffel bag come rolling down the stairs, a few seconds later Lorna appeared with another smaller duffel bag slung over her shoulder, and a stuffed dog in her hands.
 
Jean stood up and walked over to Lorna who was giving her father a death glare, Jean noticed that Lorna had once again tucked her hair back into her hat.
 
“Your making the right choice, Lorna.” Jean said with a smile
 
Lorna looked at her and then said, “This isn't a choice, it's survival.” She said and then turned and walked out the door.
 
Jean turned and looked back at Scott and Mr. Dane. “It was nice meeting you Mr. Dane” Jean gritted out.
 
Scott stood up, nodded his head in the direction of Mr. Dane and then walked over and picked up the large duffel bag, Lorna had left on the floor and then walked past Jean out of the house.
 
“We'll be in touch with you” Jean said with a smile as she started to walk towards the door.
 
“Whatever..” the man said as he picked up the remote and then flipped on the tv.
 
Jean shook her head and then left out of the front door.
 
********************************************************** **************
 
Logan pulled the jeep into the parking lot of what appeared to be a mall, thanks to the map that Storm had purchased at the last gas station they were at.
 
He drove slowly and pulled into a handicap spot.
 
Storm looked at him with a light frown, “The professor is not with us, we can't park here.”
 
“Ro, don't even be tryin to pull on me that you don't use Charlie's pass of privileged parking to your advantage, when you go out with the girl's. Side's I have a feelin we're gonna be haulin a good bit outta here”. Logan said as he glanced back at the childrens attire.
 
All three of the kids were looking out the window, looking at the stilled cars and the huge doors that led to the main shopping center.
 
“Very well then.” Storm said with a smile and then stepped out of the vehicle.
 
“Come on children, step out.” She said as she closed her door and then opened Cameron's.
 
Cameron stepped out, and then Collin crawled out. “What are we doing?” Collin asked
 
Storm smiled at him and then bent down a little, “We are going to let you guys pick out a few things, some clothes, a few toys and were going to get your hair cut.”
 
“I don't want my hair cut!” Cameron said annoyingly.
 
“It's not going to be short Cameron, we're just going to get it trimmed and washed alright?” she asked.
 
“Ok, but only if it's a little.” He said strongly.
 
Logan was standing behind them, he turned his head and saw through the back covered window Candy was still in the car, Logan looked at Storm and then jerked his head towards the car.
 
Storm looked over and saw her, she then turned and stuck her head inside, “Candice, come on let's go.” She said.
 
“My name's Candy, I don't want to go in there.” She said a little weakly and covered her arms over her stomach.
 
“I'm, sorry. Candy, we would really like for you to accompany us.” She said sweetly.
 
“I don't want to.” Candy said a bit more firmly
 
Logan started to make his way around the car, but Storm saw him and pulled up in time to stop him, “Logan!, why don't you go ahead and take the boy's. They may feel a little more comfortable with you when they are picking out their necessities.” Storm said easily.
 
“Logan looked at the girl in the car and then back at Storm and said, “Fine, I'll call you in an hour.” He said as he walked back around the car and then told the boys to go with him.
 
As soon as Logan was gone, Storm climbed in the car and shut the door, she was sitting next to Candy.
 
“Sweetheart, why don't you want to go inside?” Storm asked as she pushed the girls long ratty hair behind her ear.
 
“I just don't, I don't!” she said her voice beginning to break.
 
“Candy, did something happen hear, are you afraid to go in here?” Storm asked.
 
Candy looked at the building and then back at her lap.
 
“It's alright you can tell me.” Storm said.
 
“Aunt Julie use to bring me here, she said she needed money.” Candy said as she held her stomach.
 
“Sweetheart I am afraid I don't understand…” Storm said
 
“I don't want to go to the bathroom, I don't!” she said and began to cry rather loudly.
 
Storm watched her and then slowly closed her eyes, “Oh, my goddess” she said lowly. She could feel the tears coming to her eyes, ` Her aunt was prostituting her out at this very mall' Storm was saying it to herself in her head and she could barely fathom it.
 
Storm opened her eyes and then took the child's face into her hands, “Listen to me, Candice listen to me” Storm said as she tried to clam the girl down.
 
Candice breathing hard quieted but didn't stop crying, “Nothing like that is ever going to happen to you again, I swear to you. I will not let anything or anyone ever hurt you like that, do you understand me?” Storm asked.
 
Candice just looked at her still crying.
 
“Candy, baby, you have to believe me. Nothing will ever happen to you like that, again. Do you believe me?” storm asked still holding her face.
 
Candy only nodded but Storm could tell by the dull nod that it held no truth to it, but if that is all she was going to get then that is what she would have to take.
 
“Now, calm down and listen to me, Logan and I brought you here for you to pick out clothes, toys anything you want, things you need. I will be with you the whole time in here and I won't let you out of my sight, no one will hurt you. Will you go in with me?” she asked sweetly.
 
Candy once again looked out the window and then back at Storm, and nodded.
 
“Ok, then let's go.” Storm said as she began to scoot out, she grabbed her purse and then helped the tiny girl out.
 
Storm took her hand and hugged her. “Everything is going to be fine. It can only get better right?” Storm asked with a smile.
 
Candy just looked at her and gave an unbelievable smile.
 
“Come on.” Storm said and they started to make their way towards the store