X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ "Candy" ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Logan was standing in the 6th isle of a “Kid's GAP” while Collin and Cameron, were walking through the store picking out items. Logan had given them twenty minutes, to pick out five shirts, five pairs of pants a couple pair of pajamas and underwear.
 
Logan had been bombarded with clothes by the boy's, his hands were full with clothes.
 
Logan didn't really keep track of all the items that the boy's were getting, to be honest he didn't really care. They were going to get more clothes as soon as they got back to New
York.
 
“You boy's about ready?” Logan asked as he looked down at Cameron and Collin.
 
“Yeah” Cameron said and Collin just shook his head.
 
“Then let's get out of here.” Logan said as he gestured for the boy's to walk ahead of him towards the counter.
 
 
Storm squeezed Candy's hand as they walked down the huge aisle way that led to all of the small shopping centers.
 
Storm passed by a child's clothing store called “Kiba's”, she paused and turned to Candy.
 
“What about this place Candy?” Storm said sweetly. Storm received only a shrug of the shoulder and she took that as a yes.
 
So Storm and Candy made there way in to the small shopping center.
 
The store was one that was just for girls, it was quite obvious just by looking at the decoration of the place. It was as diva based as diva could get.
 
“Ok, Candy. We need to get you some clothes, if you don't like the stuff here we can go somewhere else, but look around, you can pick out anything you want ok?” Storm said.
 
Candy looked at her and then released her hand, she crossed her long skinny arms over her stomach and began to walk down an aisle and just look at the clothes.
 
Storm observed how she didn't touch anything, she just looked. Most children would be all over things that were brightly colored and sparkled it was just normal, but not Candy, it was like the girl had no excitement.
 
Storm followed her and when she saw her stop she walked up behind her. She looked where Candy's eyes were and then picked up a pink play dress.
 
“Do you like this dress Candy?” Storm asked with a smile.
 
Candy nodded slightly, Storm sighed this wasn't working.
 
“Candy, what's wrong sweetheart?” Storm asked.
 
“I don't know how to do this.” She whined as she looked around the store
 
There were other kids in the store and they were running about playing with the toys and picking out brightly colored outfits.
 
“Baby that's ok, I'll help you, but I want these to be things that you want, if you see anything that you would like to buy just pick it out and show it to me.” Storm said.
 
Candy looked at the pink dress in Storms hand and then back at where Storm had picked it out from.
 
She reached over and pulled out a baby blue dress with a white ribbon that went around just under the chest area. She looked at it and then held it out to Storm.
 
Storm smiled and took it, “Very pretty.”
 
Candy just looked at her then continued up the aisle, she picked up a t- shirt that was white with only a orange flower on it and then turned back to Storm, who only nodded.
 
Candy held it and kept on walking, she stopped when she came to a child manikin that was wearing a white tank top and a pair of khaki Capri's.
 
“Well that's a cute outfit, do you like it?” Storm asked her.
 
Candy nodded and remained staring at it.
 
“Well, we'll go ahead and get it, we'll need to get you a couple pair of jeans as well, let's go.” Storm said as she took Candy's hand in her free hand and pulled her along with her.
 
Storm was having a good time and even though Candy wasn't ecstatic with all the new things she was getting, Storm could tell that she was having a good time as well.
 
Storm took her and fetched her a few pairs of blue-jean shorts and skirt, she also took her to get her undergarments, socks and nightwear.
 
Storm was at the checkout station when her cell phone went off, she swiped the professor's credit card and then reached down and answered her phone.
 
“Hello?” She said as she signed the receipt.
 
“We just got finished, we can take them at the same time, I'll find it and meet you over there, hair-cut's and shoe's, then were good to go.” Storm replied as she handed the receipt back to the receptionist.
 
“Ok.” Storm said and then flipped her phone closed. She dropped the credit card back into her purse, shut it and then grabbed the four large bags.
 
“Were off,” she said to Candy and then she thanked the girl behind the counter.
“Where are we going now?” Candy asked as she walked slowly behind Storm.
 
“Right over here.” Storm said as she walked over to an information stand, she looked at the map trying to find the toy store, “Well here we are so…oh, well were not far at all.” She said with a smile.
 
“Come on” she said to Candy and then started to walk.
 
Candy scurried after her and made sure to stay close to her, Candy noticed people looking at her, her clothes were dirty and ratty and even Storm had noticed some of the women giving not only Candy but herself crude looks. Storm simply ignored them and made her way down the hall, it was only about five minutes before Storm found her destination.
 
Logan was standing just a little inside the entrance but the boy's weren't with him, they must have been searching the store.
 
Storm made her way in the store and was greeted with a “Bout time” from Logan.
 
Storm smiled at him and set the bags down by her and then started rummaging through her purse, she pulled out her wallet and then pulled out a one hundred dollar bill.
 
She looked at Candy and then knelt down in-front of her, “ This is for you, it's a hundred dollars. You can spend it on anything you want in this whole store.” She said and rubbed Candy's cheek.
 
Candy just stared at the money Storm was offering her.
 
“Here take it, your brother's are already out there picking out their own things.” She said.
 
Candy looked at Storm and then to Logan, who only winked at her and then gestured for her to go.
 
Candy slowly reached up and took the money looking at Storm again and then turned and slowly went to go and meet with her brothers.
 
Storm smiled and then stood up straight. “I trust your mission went as planned.”
 
“The boy's got clothes, did my part.” Logan stated.
 
“I can see that” Storm said as she observed the six bags that were at his feet.
 
“You wanna do a bag run?” Storm asked
 
“Yeah, I'll run them to the jeep. You gonna be here?” Logan asked as he gathered up the bags.
 
“Yeah we'll wait for you.” Storm said and then walked over to the children.
 
Collin and Cameron were loaded up with toys, “What do you boy's have?” Storm asked
 
Collin held up a bucket of army men. A set box of racing cars and some play-doe.
 
Cameron however had some racing cars, flight cruiser planes, and a large remote controlled truck.
 
“Oh, those look really neat. One of our student teachers back at the school loves air-planes. You might even get him to play with you.” Storm stated with a smile.
 
“Play with a teacher, I don't think so.” Cameron said
 
“Well you might think different once you meet him.” Storm said. She looked over to Candice who was standing looking at the board games, Storm smiled at the boys and then walked over to Candy.
 
“Can I get this?” she asked as she pointed at a game called “CANDY LAND”.
 
Storm took Candy's chin in her hand and turned her to look at her, “Anything Candy, it's your money.” Storm wanted the girl to understand, the child had obviously never had anything of her own, she couldn't see why the boys were getting the hang of it, but Candy wasn't.
 
Candy picked up the game and looked at Storm, “I'm done”.
 
Storm looked at her and said, “You still have about eighty five dollars left.”
 
“Do I have to spend it all?” she asked.
 
“No sweety. But let's look around the rest of the store, you may see something else you like.” Storm tried.
 
“Ok” she said and then started walking down the aisle.
 
“Guy's come on.” Storm said as she held a hand out to the boy's, they both started walking in front of her.
 
Candy was walking along the side aisle, when she saw a stuffed ballerina doll that was holding a cotton rose. It was on the top shelf and far out of her reach.
 
She stared at it and squinted her eye's she was focusing rather hard, the doll slowly started to move and inch by inch made it's way to the edge of the shelf.
 
She pictured in her head the doll lifting up off the shelf and slowly coming down to her, her `skill' was still a little hard for her to control but she was really trying.
 
The doll started to lift into the air and was basically floating down towards her when Storm shrieked out at her, “Candy!” Storm snapped and quickly ran over to her.
 
Candy lost her concentration and the stuffed doll fell to the floor, she jumped slightly and turned to look at the woman that she had been with for the last few hours.
 
Storm picked up the doll and gently took Candy by the arm, “Candy were you doing that?” Storm new the answer but it just seemed like the right thing to say.
 
Candy looked at her a little worried. “Candy, you can't use your talents in public, do you understand me?” she asked.
 
Candy looked like she wanted to cry, she held the game out to Storm. Storm looked at the game and then Candy, “What?” she asked.
 
“Aren't you gonna take it back?” she asked.
 
“Of course not, Candy that's yours. Do you think I'm going to take it away from you just because I got onto you?” Storm asked her.
 
Candy didn't say anything, just looked at her.
 
“Sweety I want you to have this and other toys, I had to stop you because if someone saw you then we would have quite a situation on our hands. Other people who don't have special talent's are a little scared of those of us who do have special gift's, they are just not ready for us, ok?” Storm asked her.
 
Storm looked at the doll and then at Candy, “This is a really pretty doll, with her yellow yarn hair and her brown eyes she looks a lot like you.” Candy smiled at that, and then took the doll in her free hand from Storm.
 
Storm stood up and looked down the aisle, “Look here candy, here's a bunch of doll's and books.”
 
Candy followed her up the aisle and stopped when she saw a box of books, with a bunch of Princess's on them.
 
Candy tried picking it up but with the `Candy land' game and the doll already in her small arms she couldn't get it.
 
“I'll get it for you, sweety.” Storm said as she picked it up off the shelf and began to read, “$36, not a bad deal, there's fifty “Disney” summary books in here.”
 
Storm looked at her and smiled and then turned and looked at the boy's, they had a couple more packages each, which was fine, but she wanted to walk out of here with a fair trade off of toys.
 
Storm skimmed over the doll's and then found an ice skating Barbie doll, wearing a sparkly blue and pink suite. She reached over and picked up the Barbie and then turned and showed it to her.
 
“What about this one Candy?” Storm asked her.
 
Candy turned and looked at it. There was a slight smile on her face, she ran her fingers over the plastic covering and then gripped her doll tighter.
 
“I'll say that's a yes, you bout ready to go check out?” Storm asked her.
 
Candy nodded and then Storm turned to the boys and said, “Boy's come on let's go and check out.” She said as she started to make her way up to the counter once again.
 
The children followed her and took their items to the register, “Put them up there” Storm said as she set the doll and the books on the counter.
 
The woman behind the counter watched as the kids piled the toys on top of each other.
 
Candy put her doll and her game on the counter and then wrapped her arms around her stomach. Storm had noticed how whenever the girl had nothing in her hands she always stood like this, it was almost kind of a defensive stand.
 
The woman scanned the toys and stuffed them into two large bags and handed them to the boy's. “Your total comes to $289. mam.” The woman said to her.
 
“Ok you guy's give your money.” Storm told them.
 
Candy set the money on the counter and then went back to her stance, the boy's did the same thing.
 
The woman cashed out the money and then handed them the change, Storm took it and then told them that she would divide it up for them later.
 
“Ok, you guys let's go.” She said as she walked to the front of the store, Logan was standing right inside reading the front of a newspaper, he looked up when he sensed Storm and the kids were approaching.
 
“Ready?” he asked
 
“Ready” storm replied.